Pretties for you performed live nov. 8th by Nick Didkovsky

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Pretties for you performed live nov. 8th by Nick Didkovs

Post by Si » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:02 am

Street Schizo wrote:Did anyone here actually go to this? Was there any reports or reviews? I really wanted to go and even planned on it but had an injury that kept me from doing anything. I hope it was at least successful enough for them to do it again. Might be wishful thinking though.
There's been some stuff on facebook. As I understand it the show sold out. Dennis joined them for 'Nobody Likes Me' and some other songs at the end and Neal and Cindy were also there.
For people who don`t know the show was the last night of a (2 week?) residency at the venue for Nick, which featured him playing with different bands twice a night performing all sorts of stuff from his career, including new original material. He's a HUGE fan of the band and the original album.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:31 pm

And it will be available for us to buy.
I don't know the format but for me this is very good news.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Si wrote:
Street Schizo wrote:Did anyone here actually go to this? Was there any reports or reviews? I really wanted to go and even planned on it but had an injury that kept me from doing anything. I hope it was at least successful enough for them to do it again. Might be wishful thinking though.
There's been some stuff on facebook. As I understand it the show sold out. Dennis joined them for 'Nobody Likes Me' and some other songs at the end and Neal and Cindy were also there.
For people who don`t know the show was the last night of a (2 week?) residency at the venue for Nick, which featured him playing with different bands twice a night performing all sorts of stuff from his career, including new original material. He's a HUGE fan of the band and the original album.

I believe they also did Yeah Yeah Yeah with Dennis. I had never heard of this guy before but looks like he plays a lot of extreme metal stuff.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:32 pm

pitkin88 wrote: I believe they also did Yeah Yeah Yeah with Dennis. I had never heard of this guy before but looks like he plays a lot of extreme metal stuff.
I'm sure most people here hadn`t. If you scroll down the news page a little there is a link to an article in the 'Village Voice' that gives some background on Nick. He plays and writes in multiple styles of music from extreme metal to Jazz, prog, acoustic and avant-garde projects. A real all rounder it seems, and well known on the music scene in NYC, hence the residency which featured all facets of his work ending with the PFY show.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sun May 01, 2016 4:38 pm

Did footage of this performance ever emerge anywhere?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun May 01, 2016 4:41 pm

VinceRaven wrote:Did footage of this performance ever emerge anywhere?
There are some short clips up but a DVD is on the way which I think Nick has just finished editing.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun May 01, 2016 5:05 pm

That's good news. I will be interested in seeing that dvd

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sun May 01, 2016 6:20 pm

Si wrote:
VinceRaven wrote:Did footage of this performance ever emerge anywhere?
There are some short clips up but a DVD is on the way which I think Nick has just finished editing.
Cheers, that's really good to hear.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:32 pm

The concept of someone outside the Alice Cooper circles performing Pretties For You in its entirety was very interesting, brave and exceptional but the album is in my opinion far from being a masterpiece. It is a musical document that reflects the experimental spirit of the late 60's and it has an unique place in the AC discography (It certainly can't be considered a pair with some other album like many later releases and in terms of structure and sound it is an entirely different "beast").

However there were much better experimental rock being released around that time like Captain Beefheart's famous double album Trout Mask Replica and Frank Zappa's Uncle Meat, both in 1969. Both of those albums had more conviction and even cohesiveness when you let them sink under your skin.
While there are some good songs on Pretties For You like Changing Arranging, Fields Of regret, Today Mueller and Sing Low Sweet Cheerio, it was clearly (in hindsight) a soundtrack of a band searching their identity and way. Poor production may have blurred some of the clarity and dimmed the musical sparks but I don't think even Phil Spector could have turned this album into an experimental rock classic.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:27 pm

You're right in one way but what's great about the project is it gives a those songs a little air. As you mentioned the production value of PFY muted the cool musicality of the album. These performances sound like they give the music a bit more punch. Perhaps not a a asterpiece but a very interesting and unique album.

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:53 am

I received mine in the mail today & I really enjoyed it. It was great to see those songs performed live

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:27 am

rtbuck wrote:I received mine in the mail today & I really enjoyed it. It was great to see those songs performed live
Especially nice to see DD making a few appearances.

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:32 pm

Si wrote:
rtbuck wrote:I received mine in the mail today & I really enjoyed it. It was great to see those songs performed live
Especially nice to see DD making a few appearances.
Yes it was... I also felt that seeing these songs performed live made me realize the lead guitars throughout the album a lot more.  Dennis definitely added to the show both joining the band for the 2 songs & his little stories during the intro.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:17 pm

Anyone wanting a copy can get one via Nicks site here:
http://www.didkovsky.com/pfy/

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:43 pm