Reconstructing Alice Cooper ( Fun thread )

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Reconstructing Alice Cooper ( Fun thread )

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:43 am

I was thinking about Under The Bed and Slick Black Limousine, two great tracks that never made it on an album. Flatline I love too and it should have been the last track on WTMN2.

What changes would you make to the original albums to make them flow better? You can replace tracks, remove them or just rearrange the order.

MOL:

1. Muscle Of Love

2.Working Up A Sweat

3.Hard Hearted Alice

4.Slick Black Limousine

5.Big Apple Dreamin

6.Man With The Golden Gun

7. Woman Machine

8. Never Been Sold Before

9.Teenage Lament

WTMN

1.Welcome To My Nightmare (single edit)
2.Devil's Food
3.The Black Widow
4.Only Women Bleed ( single edit )
6.Department Of Youth
7.Cold Ethyl
8.Years Ago
9.Steven
10.The Awakening
11.Escape

( Some Folks left off )

1. Brutal Planet

2.Wicked Young Man

3.Sanctuary

4.Blow Me A Kiss

5.Eat Some More

6.Pick Up The Bones

7. Gimme

9. It's The Little Things

10.Cold Machines

Losing the ill fitting and contractual like ballad would make this much tighter and maybe Pessi-Mystic for good measure.

mr.barlow

Re: Reconstructing Alice Cooper ( Fun thread )

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:13 am

Zipper Catches Skin

I Like Girls
Remarkably Insincere
Adaptable (Anything For You)
I Better Be Good
I'm Alive
Zorro's Ascent
Tag You're It

As much as I admire Dick Wagner and his importance in the career of Alice, his writing style and songs did not fit with this album. I think the above track listing would be more true to the original direction and style of the album.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:16 am

Alice Cooper Goes to Hell/Lace & Whisky

Side 1

1. It's Hot Tonight
2. You Gotta Dance
3. Lace & Whiskey
4. Guilty
5. I'm the Coolest
6. Didn't We Meet

Side 2
1. Go to Hell
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Road Rats
4. Wake Me Gently
5. Going Home

Gets rid of a lot of duff tracks from L&W, a thin thread of a story line still exists and then release I Never Cry and You and Me as non album track A sides to keep Alice's radio presence but doesn't weaken the albums with the syrup.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:28 am

Toronto Bob wrote:Alice Cooper Goes to Hell/Lace & Whisky

Side 1

1. It's Hot Tonight
2. You Gotta Dance
3. Lace & Whiskey
4. Guilty
5. I'm the Coolest
6. Didn't We Meet

Side 2
1. Go to Hell
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Road Rats
4. Wake Me Gently
5. Going Home

Gets rid of a lot of duff tracks from L&W, a thin thread of a story line still exists and then release I Never Cry and You and Me as non album track A sides to keep Alice's radio presence but doesn't weaken the albums with the syrup.

Hell and Whiskey? Tracks 2 and 5? I'm shocked TB. You Gotta Dance after Guilty was a crime.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:31 am

mr.barlow wrote:Zipper Catches Skin

I Like Girls
Remarkably Insincere
Adaptable (Anything For You)
I Better Be Good
I'm Alive
Zorro's Ascent
Tag You're It

As much as I admire Dick Wagner and his importance in the career of Alice, his writing style and songs did not fit with this album. I think the above track listing would be more true to the original direction and style of the album.
That would make a very solid one sided album. Make That Money was very heavy compared to the rest of the album. I Am The Future was hokey and No Baloney was er baloney.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:05 am

The two Wagner somgs are decent songs--just not for that album. I think Make That Money was written back in the mid to late 1970s.

I really like No Baloney and think that it could be a really great--in a novelty way--song if it were given proper production and shortened. The lyrics are funny and I always loved the line "blood and gutty human race". The version on Zipper I believe was actually an inferior demo recording that Erik Scott had to work with to fill up the side. The laser beam sound effects are ridiculous and with a few listens you can hear how inferior it sounds production wise compared to the rest of the album. Also it's seemingly endless running time I'm guessing had everything to do to fill up the album side.

"I Am The Future" is just awful. It's like a turd floating in a toilet that just won't go away no matter how many times you try to flush it.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:09 am

Hell and Whiskey? Tracks 2 and 5? I'm shocked TB. You Gotta Dance after Guilty was a crime.

I have big love for ACGTH and that includes You Gotta Dance - maybe in the minority here but I stand by it! :grin:

Whiskey Hell perhaps? Maybe you're right though, YGD before Guilty may work better

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:

I have big love for ACGTH and that includes You Gotta Dance - maybe in the minority here but I stand by it! :grin:

Whiskey Hell perhaps? Maybe you're right though, YGD before Guilty may work better
I'm with Toronto Bob on this one. I also have a lot of love for ACGTH. I think it's his most underrated album.

"I'm The Coolest" is one of my favorite Alice songs.

I'm certain "It's Hot Tonight" was written for "Goes To Hell" and Wagner states in his book that "Road Rats" was written for the road crew of the WTNM tour, which would lead me to believe it was intended for Goes To Hell.

Wagner also states in his book that You & Me was born out of the original version of "No More Love At Your Convenience" and that the disco arrangement for that song was Ezrin's idea. My guess is at the behest of Warner Bros. The whole of L&W sounds like a mish mash of things hastily put together. However, it does have it's moments.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:35 am

Along Came A Spider

1. Prologue/Vengeance is Mine
2. I'm Hungry
3. Wake the Dead
4. Wrapped in Silk
5. Shadow of Yourself
6. Catch Me If You Can
7. (In Touch With) Your Feminine Side
8. I Know Where You Live
9. Killed By Love
10. The One That Got Away
11. Salvation
12. I'll Still Be There
13. I Am the Spider/Epilogue

Rearranged the order and added the bonus tracks.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:51 am

From the Inside

1. From the Inside
2. Nurse Rozetta
3. Wish I Were Born in Beverly Hills
4. The Quiet Room
5. No Tricks
6. Serious
7. How You Gonna See Me Now?
8. For Veronica's Sake
9. Jacknife Johnny
10. Inmates ( We're All Crazy)

Relegate Millie & Billie as the b-side to the HYGSMN single.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:25 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:From the Inside

1. From the Inside
2. Nurse Rozetta
3. Wish I Were Born in Beverly Hills
4. The Quiet Room
5. No Tricks
6. Serious
7. How You Gonna See Me Now?
8. For Veronica's Sake
9. Jacknife Johnny
10. Inmates ( We're All Crazy)

Relegate Millie & Billie as the b-side to the HYGSMN single.

No Tricks is one of the better songs from this mess. The album might have been better if it was done in that style. Millie and Billie is as horrible as the title of the song.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:18 am

I agree that Millie & Billie' s title is such a predictable rhyme. The song is just as lame.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:58 pm

mr.barlow wrote:The two Wagner somgs are decent songs--just not for that album. I think Make That Money was written back in the mid to late 1970s.

I really like No Baloney and think that it could be a really great--in a novelty way--song if it were given proper production and shortened. The lyrics are funny and I always loved the line "blood and gutty human race". The version on Zipper I believe was actually an inferior demo recording that Erik Scott had to work with to fill up the side. The laser beam sound effects are ridiculous and with a few listens you can hear how inferior it sounds production wise compared to the rest of the album. Also it's seemingly endless running time I'm guessing had everything to do to fill up the album side.

"I Am The Future" is just awful. It's like a turd floating in a toilet that just won't go away no matter how many times you try to flush it.
Opinions are like assholes everybody's got one and yours stinks.

I am the Future best song on a poor album, probably because it wasn't written by Alice who was at a creative low during this period, though still managed to pull out a great vocal on that song.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:09 pm

I Am The Future is just screaming out to be revived in the live set list.

It's 'anthemic' so would appeal to all fans!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:29 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:The two Wagner somgs are decent songs--just not for that album. I think Make That Money was written back in the mid to late 1970s.

I am the Future best song on a poor album, probably because it wasn't written by Alice who was at a creative low during this period, though still managed to pull out a great vocal on that song.

Wow Mr Angry left the pro active on too long and he's burning up. If only Lalo xould have written the whole album.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:55 pm

steven_crayn wrote:

No matter what your friends may tell you, yours doesn't exactly smell like a bouquet of flowers.

The song sucks--plain and simple.

Alice at a creative low?? Are you delusional? He was at a personal low and near death, but his lyrics on this album are some of his funniest and wittiest of his career. The vocals on the album are great--especially when you consider his physical state at the time of it's recording. It was then followed up with Dada which to me is the creative HIGH of his career.

I am a great admirer of Dick Wagner yet I think FTF,SF and ZCS are some of Alice's best stuff because of the change of direction. The horror schlock and overblown albums were becoming stale and tired by 1980. I think if Alice was in a better state of mind and had the backing of WB, those years could have been successful for him. Those albums sound fresher today that most of his catalog.

Alice was wise in going back to the horror schlock to revive his career and that sustains him to this day, but in my opinion, not one of the albums since 1986, outside or The Last Temptation and Brutal Planet, can come close to touching the early-80s albums at any level.

To me Alice's low point creatively was Trash. A purely contrived corporate piece of crap. You know that sometimes people get used to being around certain smells and can no longer tell the difference between a tulip and a turd.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:52 pm

I am the Future is terrible. More anemic than anthemic.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:37 pm

TEOAC/DD ('Diamond Eyes'?!):-

What Do You Want From Me
Woman Of Mass Distraction
Dirty Diamonds
Saga Of Jesse Jane
Detroit City
Your Own Worst Enemy
Zombie Dance
Pretty Ballerina
You Make Me Wanna
I'm So Angry
Backyard Brawl

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:56 am

I Am The Future always reminded me of one of those awful songs that turned up over the closing credits of just as awful B-movies from the 1980s. Oh wait a minute...it was one of those songs!

For whatever reason Katey Sagal's "Loose Cannons" from the movie of the same name always reminded me of I Am The Future. They don't have much in common except that they are both just tremendously awful.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:14 am

mr.barlow wrote:I Am The Future always reminded me of one of those awful songs that turned up over the closing credits of just as awful B-movies from the 1980s. Oh wait a minute...it was one of those songs!

For whatever reason Katey Sagal's "Loose Cannons" from the movie of the same name always reminded me of I Am The Future. They don't have much in common except that they are both just tremendously awful.

Peg Bundy as Chesty Morgan in Loose Cannons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOzr4zE8UA

I blame you for making me listen to this Mr Barlow. I know it's all subjective and that Steven Crayon probably thinks this is akin to the best works of Jim Steinman but this is almost as atrocious as I Am The Future. I think at that time Alice was just trying to make that money and keep his name out there. I actually watched the movie in the 80's and it is as bad as the song.