Am I missing something?

THE SPIDERS

Early Years Live

-Lil‘ Red Rooster‘ (HowlinWolf/Stones)
-Love that Dirty Water (The Standells)
-Hey Mona!
-Midnight Hour (Wilson Pickett)
-Louie Louie (Richard Berry/Kingsmen)
-Route 66‘ (Nat King Cole/Chuck Berry/Stones)
-Stormy Monday
-19th Nervous Breakdown (Stones)
-Smokestack Lightning (HowlinWolf/Yardbirds)
-Love Potion Number 9 (Clovers/Ventures)

Why Don't You Love Me (The Blackwells)
Hitch Hike (Marvin Gaye)

1966 (Copper State Recording Studio Tucson)

Don't Blow Your Mind
No Price Tag
Stop, Look and Listen To Me
Talk Talk (The Music Machine)

1966 Live (KXCI FM Broadcast Tucson)

- Dear Dad (Chuck Berry)
- I'm Crying (The Yardbirds)
- Surprise Surprise (Stones)
- We Got A Good Thing Going (Stones)
- As Tears Go By (Stones)
- Baby Lets Wait (The Animals)
- I'm A Man (Yardbirds)
- Down The Road A Piece (Stones/ Chuck Berry)

THE NAZZ

VIV Studios, Phoenix

Girl, You're Still Nowhere
Wonder Who`s Loving Her Now
Lay Down And Die Goodbye

Could someone help me fill the blanks
Like, where was the "Why Don't You Love Me" Single recorded, Copper State too?
Are There More Outtakes?

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Spiders / The Nazz

Post by mestreech » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:39 am

Is that 1966 radio broadcast ever heard by some fan?? or the other unknow numbers?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:42 am

What are you asking mestreech? I think I have heard these songs but it didn't sound like a radio broadcast.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:13 am

pitkin88 wrote:What are you asking mestreech? I think I have heard these songs but it didn't sound like a radio broadcast.
You have to remember how radio broadcasts were recorded by fans back then. Just a crappy real to real tape player with a crappy mic held up to the speaker if a crappy radio. This particular tape isn`t from the radio station (afaik) or anything like that so you can`t expect it to sound broadcast quality. I don`t know personally the source of the recording but I've also heard its from a broadcast.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:45 pm

From Si:
"I don`t know personally the source of the recording but I've also heard its from a broadcast."

I don't remember any presenter's (or other) announcements so my guess is that it is not. I once had the chance to buy the original recording (but didn't pursue it) and there really wasn't a lot of information provided.

JasonC
Trash
Trash

Post by JasonC » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:07 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Si:
"I don`t know personally the source of the recording but I've also heard its from a broadcast."

I don't remember any presenter's (or other) announcements so my guess is that it is not. I once had the chance to buy the original recording (but didn't pursue it) and there really wasn't a lot of information provided.
Do we talk about a recording of the radio station or from a listener?

can you tell us more, where was that, what price do we talk about, which medium, how many songs?

The first 5 songs are definitely from the braodcast - the first track has a intro presenting the spiders from venus live

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:33 pm

From JasonC:
"Do we talk about a recording of the radio station or from a listener?"

It was Glen Buxton and a friend of his actually.

>can you tell us more, where was that, what price do we talk about, which medium, how many songs?

This all happened in 1990 so I don't think I have those details. It was a casual discussion.

>The first 5 songs are definitely from the braodcast - the first track has a intro presenting the spiders from venus live

Unless I'm thinking of something else, what your referring to is a trailer for a live appearance - there is no connection, if I remember correctly, between that trailer and the recording we're discussing.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:What are you asking mestreech? I think I have heard these songs but it didn't sound like a radio broadcast.
You have to remember how radio broadcasts were recorded by fans back then. Just a crappy real to real tape player with a crappy mic held up to the speaker if a crappy radio. This particular tape isn`t from the radio station (afaik) or anything like that so you can`t expect it to sound broadcast quality. I don`t know personally the source of the recording but I've also heard its from a broadcast.

Well if it was a radio broadcast I think there might have been a good chance a member of the band would have recorded or if it was live a member of the bands family. I just remember the thing being low fidelity to the point of not being that listenable.I don't remember it sounding like it was from the radio anyway.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:12 pm

I was under the impression of a professional recorded show.

JasonC
Trash
Trash

Post by JasonC » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:05 pm

The intro/trailer has the same quality as the songs, so i would guess the low quality comes from the tape it was recorded to, or trough trading, copied on cassettes whatever

Its just a guess, cause i wasnt around when analog trading was happening
I always wondered how soundboard recorings or studio recording can sound so bad on bootlegs, what did they do with the sources - has anyone insight why most sound so bad?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:03 pm

JasonC wrote:The intro/trailer has the same quality as the songs, so i would guess the low quality comes from the tape it was recorded to, or trough trading, copied on cassettes whatever

Its just a guess, cause i wasnt around when analog trading was happening
I always wondered how soundboard recorings or studio recording can sound so bad on bootlegs, what did they do with the sources - has anyone insight why most sound so bad?

Quite a few bootlegs ran at the wrong speed. In the case of The Spiders it could be the tape has degraded over the years. Not sure what bootlegs you have listened to but there are stellar one out there from the early 70's. I was listening to a Lou Reed one in the UK Dec 26 72 I think and it is amazing.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:23 pm

pitkin88 wrote: Quite a few bootlegs ran at the wrong speed.
That`s because you rarely found two tape players that played at the same speed!! I remember I had a duel tape deck, and each deck ran at slightly different speeds!! So copies of tapes were never exactly the same! It wasnt a cheap deck either!!!
pitkin88 wrote: In the case of The Spiders it could be the tape has degraded over the years. Not sure what bootlegs you have listened to but there are stellar one out there from the early 70's. I was listening to a Lou Reed one in the UK Dec 26 72 I think and it is amazing.
True but there was quite an improvement in the equipment available to your average consumer between 1966 (the year we're talking about) and the 1970s. In 1966 I think recordable cassette devices were only just coming onto the market (Wiki suggests they were launched in the US in 1965). More people would have been using old real to real tapes. I have no idea on the relative differences in sound quality between the two but I would imagine the later technology would sound better?

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:17 pm

Si wrote:That`s because you rarely found two tape players that played at the same speed!! I remember I had a duel tape deck, and each deck ran at slightly different speeds!! So copies of tapes were never exactly the same! It wasnt a cheap deck either!!!
Yeah, my college roommate and I both had expensive cassette tape decks, and they ran at different speeds, too. One of many reasons I hated cassettes.
Si wrote:More people would have been using old real to real tapes. I have no idea on the relative differences in sound quality between the two but I would imagine the later technology would sound better?
As pure technologies went, reel-to-reel was tons better than cassette. The tapes were larger and more signal could be stored on them. Of course, a cheap reel-to-reel recorder probably wouldn't sound as good as good cassette recorder, so I'm sure that accounts for variances, too.

Hunter

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:14 am

Amazing to think some guys actually hauled around reel to reels and recorded some shows. The Pink Floyd Montreux shows come to mind. Fantastic

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:43 am

Sure there must be a familymember/close friend/hardcore collector out there that has a better recording then is available on the bootleg/tradingmarket.

I never understood why some collectors all want to keep it for themselves. I mean collectors from all bands not special Alice Cooper.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:38 am

mestreech wrote:Sure there must be a familymember/close friend/hardcore collector out there that has a better recording then is available on the bootleg/tradingmarket.

I never understood why some collectors all want to keep it for themselves. I mean collectors from all bands not special Alice Cooper.

Maybe if they paid a lot for the recording.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:25 pm

mestreech wrote:
"Sure there must be a familymember/close friend/hardcore collector out there that has a better recording then is available on the bootleg/tradingmarket."

Unless I'm mistaken, the copy I heard came directly from the original and the quality still was not as good as one would hope.

>I never understood why some collectors all want to keep it for themselves. I mean collectors from all bands not special Alice Cooper.

Maybe they don't want to do anything illegal.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:01 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:mestreech wrote:
"Sure there must be a familymember/close friend/hardcore collector out there that has a better recording then is available on the bootleg/tradingmarket."

Unless I'm mistaken, the copy I heard came directly from the original and the quality still was not as good as one would hope.

>I never understood why some collectors all want to keep it for themselves. I mean collectors from all bands not special Alice Cooper.

Maybe they don't want to do anything illegal.

Hilarious the last part.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 pm

mestreech wrote:Sure there must be a familymember/close friend/hardcore collector out there that has a better recording then is available on the bootleg/tradingmarket.

Not really too hard to understand, two reasons mainly

i) elitism
ii) hoping for a big pay day

I was happy in being able to assist in liberating....

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:47 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:

Not really too hard to understand, two reasons mainly

i) elitism
ii) hoping for a big pay day

I was happy in being able to assist in liberating....

Say it Bob say it!!