Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Spiders / The Nazz

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:42 pm

From Toronto Bob:
>i) elitism

Actually, quite often the owner of the original recording will ask that no copies are made because of their own investment in it (such as the friend of Glen Buxton who was selling this stuff on behalf of Glen) and some people choose to respect that. Is that a bad thing?

>ii) hoping for a big pay day

How would that happen?

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:10 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Toronto Bob:
>i) elitism

Actually, quite often the owner of the original recording will ask that no copies are made because of their own investment in it (such as the friend of Glen Buxton who was selling this stuff on behalf of Glen) and some people choose to respect that. Is that a bad thing?

>ii) hoping for a big pay day

How would that happen?
??

Um, someone would have a rare recording in their possession, they offer it up for a large amount of money and maybe someone puts in an offer. I suppose it would happen like anyone buying and selling anything. What a silly question

Perhaps you have only concerned yourself with all things Alice but check out some threads by Doors fans or Zeppelin fans to get a taste of people trying to bask in some glory, taunting other rabid collectors with the recordings they have in their possession. Or read some of those epic Freezer threads - that dude was a laugh riot, how he drove some Zep fans
into an apoplectic frenzy was classic. An internet troll of the highest order.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:28 pm

Toronto Bob wrote: Perhaps you have only concerned yourself with all things Alice but check out some threads by Doors fans or Zeppelin fans to get a taste of people trying to bask in some glory, taunting other rabid collectors with the recordings they have in their possession.
It almost sounds like you would prefer this "trolling" to what we have, which is people or groups of people, who have possession of something they can`t legally share, keeping repetitively quiet about it and just answering any questions they can relating to it based on having heard it?

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:59 pm

Well it might sound like that but I was no fan of Freezer, so you would be wrong or at least not entirely correct.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:10 pm

From Toronto Bob:
"I suppose it would happen like anyone buying and selling anything."

So you think the demand for this particular recording is so great that there would be big offers?

>Perhaps you have only concerned yourself with all things Alice but check out some threads by Doors fans or Zeppelin fans

Well, this an Alice Cooper forum and we are discussing an Alice Cooper recording so I don't really see how what happens with other artists is necessarily relevant. You also didn't answer my other question but that isn't unexpected (but that's fine though).

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:19 pm

From Toronto Bob:
"Well it might sound like that but I was no fan of Freezer, so you would be wrong or at least not entirely correct."

Brian Nelson especially enjoyed encountering Alice Cooper fans who liked "taunting other rabid collectors with" items they owned or who tried to impress him with what they had. These idiots usually ended up completely humiliated, deflated and dejected when he told them what he had and what they would probably never have.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:51 am

"Well it might sound like that but I was no fan of Freezer, so you would be wrong or at least not entirely correct."

Brian Nelson especially enjoyed encountering Alice Cooper fans who liked "taunting other rabid collectors with" items they owned or who tried to impress him with what they had. These idiots usually ended up completely humiliated, deflated and dejected when he told them what he had and what they would probably never have.

Be ironic if they did have it now if his family sold the stuff.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:17 am

"I suppose it would happen like anyone buying and selling anything."

So you think the demand for this particular recording is so great that there would be big offers?

>Perhaps you have only concerned yourself with all things Alice but check out some threads by Doors fans or Zeppelin fans

Well, this an Alice Cooper forum and we are discussing an Alice Cooper recording so I don't really see how what happens with other artists is necessarily relevant. You also didn't answer my other question but that isn't unexpected (but that's fine though).
How did you extrapolate that? I didn't suggest that particular recording had any monetary value, although I guess someone did at some point because they thought of you as a potential customer. But that Spiders/Nazz recording has been available for free for a few years now and it has pretty wretched sound quality to boot, so who the hell would pay for something like that? I was talking in general terms that there are people out there - like the ones you refer to, talking to Brian N. trying to impress him and who knows maybe trying to see if he wanted to offer them something for it. So when I talk of elitism, I meant the very thing you just mentioned and as far as the pay day thing goes. That has always been the case. Years ago someone tried to get $5k for the November 8th, 1968 Fullerton show of FZ/MOI - they never got it and the tape came out anyway. Same with the Artisan Acetate, not sure how much it eventually sold for, but the guy who bought it was generous enough to pass it along to the Zappateers so all Zappa fanatics could otain their very own digital copy for free (RJ and BengoFury you are the best) Zeppelin board tapes have been sold to Japanese bootleg companies - yes pay days are sought and sometimes obtained. Why just a month or so ago I saw some DATs containing the 1970 ACG show along with Killer and LITD demos and a pawn ticket belonging to one Michael Bruce - the asking price was stupid

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:27 am

Holy crap, it's still up but hurry time is running out

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ORIGINAL-ALICE-C ... 1765571876

:rotfl:

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:37 am

Holy crap?? A dub of a dub???
Digital Audio Tape (DAT or R-DAT) is a signal recording and playback medium developed by Sony and introduced in 1987.
How good can it be?
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:56 am

Chicago Underworld.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:14 pm

My point, in case you missed it was that these Digital Dubs were made from a source in Michaels possession, more than likely a cassette or two and nothing Digital that would lend itself to a dub of pristine audio quality - for the hardcore collector only.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:44 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:My point, in case you missed it was that these Digital Dubs were made from a source in Michaels possession, more than likely a cassette or two and nothing Digital that would lend itself to a dub of pristine audio quality - for the hardcore collector only.

No I got it.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:49 pm

Is this the same as the cds with all the demos?

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:29 pm

mestreech wrote:Is this the same as the cds with all the demos?
That's the hook - you won't know unless you pony up. My guess would be they are the same versions that have been traded and torrented but possibly lower generation (DAT clone of master best case or DAT copy of unknown gen but hopefully much lower gen than what has circulated).

Anyway, maybe there is a sucker out there that would pay that kind of money - hell there's people out there that paid that for a mascara tube :bam:

JasonC
Trash
Trash

Post by JasonC » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:50 pm

so there is possibly more spiders/ nazz material out there but if someone knows they would not talk about it :/

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:09 pm

JasonC wrote:so there is possibly more spiders/ nazz material out there but if someone knows they would not talk about it :/
If there is more material out there, it depends on who has that information. Some people are very forthright, others think knowledge is power or something like that and like to hoard things. I don't know how long you have been collecting but the AC community as a whole, is not an entirely helpful one. I know a few generous souls, but they are the exception.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:10 pm

From pitkin88:
"Be ironic if they did have it now if his family sold the stuff."

Why would you assume "his family" have anything to do with it?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:23 pm

From Toronto Bob:
"How did you extrapolate that?"

This particular recording is not so coveted that it would be worth making a big offer for.

> I didn't suggest that particular recording had any monetary value, although I guess someone did at some point because they thought of you as a potential customer.

Well that was in 1990 - things have changed since then as you know.

> But that Spiders/Nazz recording has been available for free for a few years now and it has pretty wretched sound quality to boot, so who the hell would pay for something like that?

Exactly. That is why I asked you why you think someone would be "hoping for a big pay day" as you put it but obviously you don't think that and I doubt anyone else does, so it isn't really an answer to the question mestreetch asked.

> I was talking in general terms that there are people out there - like the ones you refer to, talking to Brian N. trying to impress him and who knows maybe trying to see if he wanted to offer them something for it.

No. My example was something that happened long before the advent of the internet when these things supposedly had a higher value (or so the perception went).

> Why just a month or so ago I saw some DATs containing the 1970 ACG show along with Killer and LITD demos and a pawn ticket belonging to one Michael Bruce - the asking price was stupid

Again, you're proving my point. Back in 1996 when those recordings first appeared, there was more of a clamour for them but that isn't the case now, so it doesn't matter what the "asking price" is if nobody will pay it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:29 pm

From Jason C:
"so there is possibly more spiders/ nazz material out there but if someone knows they would not talk about it"

Well, none of us know what you know, so maybe you're already aware of everything in circulation.