Same setlist time after time

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Cindy Lang
Trash
Trash

Same setlist time after time

Post by Cindy Lang » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:30 pm

When Alice, Dennis, Michael and Neal doing an public gig. Why do they always have to play the same boring songs? 6 songs from a huge catalogue of great songs that the die hard Alice Cooper fan is sick of hearing.

It would be really nice if they left out all "hits" the next time and played for Instance Yeah yeah yeah, Return of The Spiders, Never Been sold Before, Public Animal #9, Second Coming and others :)
"Suddenly I realize I saw it all through real eyes"

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Same setlist time after time

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:53 pm

:x

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:57 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:06 am

I think they should really shake things up and play "House Of Fire" and "Thrill My Gorilla". They could perform "The Great American Success Story" after 'School's Out".

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:11 am

and why no electric chair or guillotine?

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:23 am

Cindy Lang wrote:When Alice, Dennis, Michael and Neal doing an public gig. Why do they always have to play the same boring songs? 6 songs from a huge catalogue of great songs that the die hard Alice Cooper fan is sick of hearing.

It would be really nice if they left out all "hits" the next time and played for Instance Yeah yeah yeah, Return of The Spiders, Never Been sold Before, Public Animal #9, Second Coming and others :)

Right :clap:

At least they played Caught in a Dream.
Have no gods before me, I'm the light !

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:30 am

mr.barlow wrote:I think they should really shake things up and play "House Of Fire" and "Thrill My Gorilla". They could perform "The Great American Success Story" after 'School's Out".
What's the point of this post ? ::((:

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:15 am

Surely the answer to this post is rehearsal time. Any musician knows it takes time to get "gig fit" and "tight" so the usual songs that are played I suspect are the ones all the band (including the stand in guitarist)have continued playing as staples in the live set lists of the separate strands/projects of the original members since the break up. Getting "Halo of Flies", "My Stars", "Second Coming" etc. together and tight for performance would take a lot more time not to mention the need for a keyboard player to be well rehearsed too.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:39 am

I can see why the original band would stick to the tried and tested, though would love to see 'caught in a dream' live. A few intimate gigs over several years, as said, doesn't leave time to work on the more musically adventurous songs. My beef is the fact that Alice hasn't shaken up his own set list properly, I know there has been several threads on this topic and the usual answer is he isnt playing for the diehard fans but for those new or just 'curious' fans, but i don't agree with this at all and would love to see more 'obscure' songs in the set. The who played the whole of 'Quadrophenia' and several other bands have done the same. Anyway I'll shut up now as I'm bound to get told off for repeating a previous thread.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:02 pm

TodayMueller wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:I think they should really shake things up and play "House Of Fire" and "Thrill My Gorilla". They could perform "The Great American Success Story" after 'School's Out".
The point is to point out the ridiculous. Since I have been a member on here I have read countless posts about the lack of a reunion or the band members playing together. Now that they are doing it and likely on the verge of a reunion people are still complaining--now about what they are playing!

What do you think they would play? You do realize that the large majority of fans have no idea there was an original Alice Cooper band--right? Now is the chance for a lot of fans to hear and see the guys who actually wrote and played those classic songs perform them live. Those songs are legendary and some of the best rock n roll ever written--why would they not want to play them live?

I would guess that if a reunion tour does indeed happen you will see a 60 to 90 minute show of mainly hits from the original band era with some props used back during that era. It will likely be a scaled down production with limited dates. It will be a nostalgic trip back they their heyday celebrating their music and bowing out in style.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:30 pm

If the casual fan didn't about ACG, then when do they think that 18, SO, UMW, HOF and others were made?

Surely they are not that dim too know the songs but not know about the group, not even on music programmes from the 70's.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:15 pm

I have nothing against them playing those same songs...I would just be glad to see the reunion. I would love hearing them perform some of those tunes (especially Second Coming & Never Been Sold Before because they are actually my top 2 Cooper tunes) but I've never seen the original band live so to hear & see them perform School's Out, No More Mr. Nice Guy, I'm 18, Under my Wheels...etc would be fine with me.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:52 am

kevinuk81 wrote:If the casual fan didn't about ACG, then when do they think that 18, SO, UMW, HOF and others were made?

Surely they are not that dim too know the songs but not know about the group, not even on music programmes from the 70's.

Why would the casual fan be bothered about who wrote what and when?

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:40 am

Casual fans don't know (and no matter how much you may not want it to be true, don't care) about the original Alice cooper group. I still have to explain to my family and friends about the Alice cooper group and these are people that own many albums.
People know Alice, he is larger than life and has carried the character and music for 30 however many years.
It's sad to say but allot of people dont know that "that scary guy in the make up" did schools out and poison....
Its annoying and not fair on the group. but it is what it is.
I dont care for a reunion and never have, i love his solo work and want more of it, not less. But if they get to London i will obviously go and see them and enjoy whatever they bring out.

As for the moaning about setlist, i understand but as has already been mentioned they do not see each other often and it takes time to gel as a unit, these songs are the ones each and every member of the band brings out of the coffin when they need to play a song people know.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:41 am

pitkin88 wrote:
kevinuk81 wrote:If the casual fan didn't about ACG, then when do they think that 18, SO, UMW, HOF and others were made?

Why would the casual fan be bothered about who wrote what and when?
Who is on about writing the songs? I am on about what year the songs were made.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:25 pm

i'd far prefer to see more ACG/AC songs than a set w/ 6 covers. much as i'd love a total shake-up in his set-list i'll take SO/WTMN etc over some Hendirx/beatles/whoever cac any day.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:55 pm

I find it hard to complain about the setlist of a one-off show. How many times have ACG played a show together in the last 25 years? Has it been more than a handful? If they do indeed take time to rehearse and do a tour, I could see them playing probably an hour and fifteen minutes, and it would probably include Halo of Flies, Muscle Of Love, Gutter Cats and probably a few other songs that Alice and continuously played albeit sporadically, but I do not see them going out and playing any deep cuts at all. When it comes to a setlist, you tailor it to what most people will enjoy hearing as well as creating moods for the show...While I would love to hear "Yeah Yeah Yeah," a high percentage of people would prefer a more well known song. It would create a lull in the show for most people. I also would love to hear "Second Coming," but I do not see any chance of that considering the lyrics occultic overtone. I just find it hard to believe that he would set aside time to tour with ACG considering the well oiled machine of constant touring that has been going on. You are looking at having to take time to rehearse and get everything in line, and it seems like he would rather be out touring non-stop.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:48 pm

I remember on the Trash tour : all of a sudden he played Desperado and later on in the show Muscle of Love . Fabulous to me,but the people around me ( probably fans since Poison) hardly reacted ..
Would be interesting to know how many of the people attending a show see him for the first time... They cannot get "bored" hearing songs over and over again..
you really wouldn't understand..

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:20 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
TodayMueller wrote:
The point is to point out the ridiculous. Since I have been a member on here I have read countless posts about the lack of a reunion or the band members playing together. Now that they are doing it and likely on the verge of a reunion people are still complaining--now about what they are playing!

What do you think they would play? You do realize that the large majority of fans have no idea there was an original Alice Cooper band--right? Now is the chance for a lot of fans to hear and see the guys who actually wrote and played those classic songs perform them live. Those songs are legendary and some of the best rock n roll ever written--why would they not want to play them live?

I would guess that if a reunion tour does indeed happen you will see a 60 to 90 minute show of mainly hits from the original band era with some props used back during that era. It will likely be a scaled down production with limited dates. It will be a nostalgic trip back they their heyday celebrating their music and bowing out in style.
I'm certainly not complaining, and I doubt Cindy Lang is either.
I am thrilled to see the boys together.
But that doesn't mean it couldn't be even better for me and others. I think all performers are interested in what their fans wish. If there was no debate or suggestions, how would they know in which direction to go ?
Most "new generation" fans would probably prefer to see Alice with Ryan Roxie, Nita Strauss and other hired guns. So, I beleive an ACG gig/tour will appeal primarily to us old timers who have other preferences regarding the setlist.
Don't understand why it is taken as criticism.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:30 am

OK, Here I go.
Quite your whining about the repeated setlist, whether it's AC or ACG.

Here's a semi-short story. I was a big SRV fan from his 1st Lp on & I tried to see every tour as he passed through town. A most fascinating guitarist to watch, and could cover Jimi well, Little Wing, Third Stone From The Sun & Voodoo Chile (Slight Return). As his substance abuse progressed he pretty much did the same set for a few years before he got help & did "In Step". Good album but, I felt he needed another album under his belt before I went to a show where he would only add a few (if any) new songs into his set. He recorded The Vaughn Brothers album with Jimmy & I was waiting for that release when Alpine Valley happened. I was depressed for a year & couldn't listen to any SRV w/o regret that I passed on the last time that I could have seen him play one more time. The last couple of times Alice has passed through the area I've passed because I've seen Iron Maiden (in their heyday) & don't care for Motley Crue. That doesn't mean I won't try for tickets the next time he comes through here solo or supporting. Remember, it could be the last before he retires or worse. :devil:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...