Same setlist time after time

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Same setlist time after time

Post by evil syd » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:15 pm

When a famous band gets together after so many years, usually they play the songs that made them what they were or shall I say are.....It makes sense. It's not a time for obscurity. If it was an official reunion, it's would be a different story. :teach:
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

Cindy Lang
Trash
Trash

Post by Cindy Lang » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:28 pm

I agree in every word TodayMueller writes and I get what most of you other says but the resaon I brought it up is that the causual fans probably won't care about the original Alice Cooper group on stage I don't even think that they would like it as much as going to the nowdays "AC matine". But for us that have been hanging around since the early seventies, it certainly would matter if they play a couple of less known songs. And as a matter of fact I think that the guys just want to have a good time, then why not share it with us ACG fans and satisfy us.

All the original members have played SO, B&B and 18 to death since the breakup, nothing wrong with that. Michael Bruce went a step further and played songs with original lyrics, thumbs up for that. One need not exluce the other and they should of course play any of the major hits but since the first reunion in 1999, the only exception has been "Is It My Body" and I would love to be surprised with a couple of song not played so much live, at least not with Alice (as a solo artist).

When speaking of rehearal, I think Neal and Dennis could do any song but after hearing Michael play Elected in Dallas I was ashamed on their behalf (is that the right way to say it? english is not my native language). I don't understand how Mike can enter the stage without doing a little home work. But he's been sloppy on the guitar the last 30 years. Used to be a musician myself and I know it's easy to forget but also know it's very easy to revive the old songs. But frankly it's not a big deal bringing up the vibes again and making it sound good as it used to sound.

This sounds pretty good to me. Not a so easy song to play in a band to make it sound right.
https://youtu.be/EQta5ROQf3I
"Suddenly I realize I saw it all through real eyes"

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:52 pm

The fact that we can forecast 90% of every set list and what props he is going to use on each song isn't going to stop us going to the next gig. But that isn't an excuse for not shaking up the set list. I think Alice wants to, hence the vampires and gigs with the ACG, so I don't understand why he can't shake up his own set list. As to playing the hits to cater for the casual fan who has come along for the Alice 'experience' I doubt VERY much any casual fan would know much beyond schools out and poison! I would imagine even those fans who got into Alice from brutal planet and beyond would know most of the ACG songs! Just shake it up, at the very least add three or four lesser played songs for the long time fans.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:56 pm

i find it odd, the attitude of a star who's been around for decades ~ favouring johnny-come-latelys over the hardcore who supported him for those decades (and will probably still do for however many decades are left). i feel the attitude should be "i'm playing old songs, if you don't know them you should check them out, live shows are for real fans not casual people who liked two songs they heard on the radio and want to brag on facebook they're going to a concert".
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:48 pm

From Cindy Lang:
When Alice, Dennis, Michael and Neal doing an public gig. Why do they always have to play the same boring songs? 6 songs from a huge catalogue of great songs that the die hard Alice Cooper fan is sick of hearing.

I assume you realise that, in Dallas, it was not possible to get everyone together to rehearse anything.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:50 pm

From killer wolf:
"i find it odd, the attitude of a star who's been around for decades ~ favouring johnny-come-latelys over the hardcore who supported him for those decades"

Just because there's a lot of casual fans does not make them "johnny-come-latelys" - they've been going to shows for years as well.

>i feel the attitude should be "i'm playing old songs, if you don't know them you should check them out, live shows are for real fans not casual people who liked two songs they heard on the radio and want to brag on facebook they're going to a concert".

Leaving aside the elitism, it would be a brave and selfish artist who did that. Do you really think anyone is going to take the chance of reducing their audience rather than increase it? David Bowie tried it and it didn't end too well. Again, without going over the same old ground, there's no doubt the selection can do with some changes and as we know, those were meant to happen before this year's leg of the current tour was agreed but even if a brand new show was put together, someone somewhere would complain that "My Stars" or "Dyslexia" (or any other songs you care to name) were not performed.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:23 pm

Think Si would forever moan if My Stars was not performed live again. :)
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:39 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:Think Si would forever moan if My Stars was not performed live again. :)
Oh I moan all the time, but the difference is I don`t EXPECT anything to come of it. More like planting ideas ;)
Having said that I don`t expect the original band to play it, would just like it added to the solo setlist as I think it could work the same way Halo worked.

Cindy Lang
Trash
Trash

Post by Cindy Lang » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:49 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote: Leaving aside the elitism, it would be a brave and selfish artist who did that. Do you really think anyone is going to take the chance of reducing their audience rather than increase it? David Bowie tried it and it didn't end too well.
In the early-mid seventies I liked Bowie as much as Alice. I was thrilled when I saw Bowie on the 1997 Earthling tour. That was what I wanted him to do for years and finally he did it. I also remember that sooo many from the audience were really disapointed after the show because he didn't play the hits except for Under Pressure. No Heroes, Let's Dance, China Girt...I was very, very pleased when he did odd songs like Quicksand and I loved every minute of the show inspite I don't like Drum'n'Bass oriented music. Anyways, that's exactly what I would Alice to do, or, as many others have done play a full album (or two) on live. The absolute highlight would be if he did what Sparks did some seven or eight years ago, but that will sure not happen. :)

I just saw an interview with Alice on YT where he is talking about The Rolling Stones and their amazing cagtalogue of 300 songs and just playing a few of them year after year. But it's nice he's throwing in an outsider every now and then. Clones, Who Do You Think We Are, Nurse Rozetta.

To reply to your question... I don't neccessarily think that Alice would reduce his audience by playing the not so very well known songs on a tour which would be totally different from what he has done the past decade or since Dragontown.
Last edited by Cindy Lang on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Suddenly I realize I saw it all through real eyes"

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:55 pm

I am just happy at the various concerts I have attended that Alice hasn't widened his coverage to include No More Love at your Convenience, Ubangi Stomp or Says Dance (and a few others that no doubt someone likes). A little variation wouldn't hurt though but I would like advance notice of the inclusion of the aforementioned 3 turkeys.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:11 am

recoop wrote:I am just happy at the various concerts I have attended that Alice hasn't widened his coverage to include No More Love at your Convenience, Ubangi Stomp or Says Dance (and a few others that no doubt someone likes). A little variation wouldn't hurt though but I would like advance notice of the inclusion of the aforementioned 3 turkeys.

Post of the day in this stupid thread.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:56 pm

From Cindy Lang:
"I was thrilled when I saw Bowie on the 1997 Earthling tour. That was what I wanted him to do for years and finally he did it."

After saying, in 1990, he would never play 'the hits' again, he played only new material or obscure album tracks on the tour in 1995 and the general consensus was that for the majority of the audience, it was not a satisfying experience. On the subsequent tours, the famous old hits (with one main exception) were restored.

I also remember that sooo many from the audience were really disapointed after the show because he didn't play the hits except for Under Pressure. No Heroes, Let's Dance, China Girt...

You just proved my point, yet you want Alice Cooper to run that same risk of leaving the majority unsatisfied just so that you're satisfied. Again, the show is not primarily designed around what you or I want to be included.

>I was very, very pleased when he did odd songs like Quicksand and I loved every minute of the show inspite I don't like Drum'n'Bass oriented music.

> Anyways, that's exactly what I would Alice to do

Well, maybe if you were in his position, you might find you would not take that risk.

> or, as many others have done play a full album (or two) on live.

That could still happen but I'm not sure an entire tour would be based around that.

>The absolute highlight would be if he did what Sparks did some seven or eight years ago, but that will sure not happen. :)

Yes because his audience is far more mainstream than a 'cult' audience is.

>I just saw an interview with Alice on YT where he is talking about The Rolling Stones and their amazing cagtalogue of 300 songs and just playing a few of them year after year.

He also has said he wants to hear the hits when he goes their shows.

>But it's nice he's throwing in an outsider every now and then. Clones, Who Do You Think We Are, Nurse Rozetta.

Exactly. When you consider all the bases that have to be touched, I don't think things are as bad as has been made out especially when you consider not everyone who goes to an Alice show goes to see every tour.

>To reply to your question... I don't neccessarily think that Alice would reduce his audience by playing the not so very well known songs on a tour which would be totally different from what he has done the past decade or since Dragontown.

Again, if you were in his position, your perspective might be different.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:59 pm

From recoop:
"A little variation wouldn't hurt though"

That much is true and I've always said there are some songs that could be given a rest, not because they're bad songs but because they're taking the place of others which could be included. The problem is that my choices would not necessarily be someone else's, so it's difficult, if not impossible, to get it exactly right.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:07 pm

Yes Andy Alice should not take risks. It will all come tumbling down. Boy you have little faith in your boy.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:52 am

This brings up something I learned a long time ago, pay attention to the media ahead of a show you're going to see. I had tickets to see John Fogerty in 1986 for his Eye Of the Zombie Tour. In print & on radio he announced that he would do no CCR during this tour - the reason being that he had to pay to play his own tunes because of the contract that CCR signed to get into the studio to record (not unheard of in those days) I think Boston had a similar dilemma. Bonnie Raitt opened the show & was great (just before Nick Of Time) John came out & Rocked the joint for an hour & a half w/3 Lp's worth of material but all I heard leaving was that he didn't play any CCR. He did a cable benefit for our Military Veterans later that year & announced that after talking to Dylan he was persuaded to change his mind & rock out to CCR for his set. I knew going in I wouldn't hear CCR & I saw a great show but those who didn't know the newer material were disappointed. Where do you draw the line? If you give the audience a sample of music other than the hits don't you think they may try to explore the catalogue? However w/o a familiar tune or two you risk losing that audience to appease a few die-hards? Unfortunately, AC can for the most part count on SickThings to show :headcutoff:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:09 pm

"Where do you draw the line? If you give the audience a sample of music other than the hits don't you think they may try to explore the catalogue? However w/o a familiar tune or two you risk losing that audience to appease a few die-hards? "

you don't know what works until you try. everything's a gamble i guess, like certain bands deciding to play an entire new album. it might work, it might suck. but Alice never seems to bother trying. same old same old. The fact he trots this usual excuse out then replaces six songs w/ covers says it all, IMO; that's all it is - an excuse. obviously he wouldn't do something "w/out a familiar tune or two", but if you kept the same set list but replaced those six covers w/ six rarities from the past, you could have a killer show.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:07 pm

Everybody else's obscure inclusion wouldn't be the next person's so not everyone is going to be satisfied.
I'm with Alice on this, he has to play the hits. I've got mates going to the Swindon show (first time they'll have seen Alice) and they would feel let down if he didn't play 18, Schools Out, Poison etc.
I think there is an overall feeling that songs such as Lost In America (that never really was a hit) wouldn't be a huge miss to the set and could be replaced by something alternative.
I'd love to see Wind Up Toy live but others will moan that they've seen it in 91 and want something even more obscure.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:34 pm

From pitkin88:
"Yes Andy Alice should not take risks. It will all come tumbling down."

You didn't see any of the Bowie tour in 1995 it seems. Why would you want there to be a possibility of playing to even smaller crowds than he already does?

>Boy you have little faith in your boy.

I have plenty but that isn't the issue. You just can't assume casual fans would remain as interested. If you were able to see a few more shows by so - called 'heritage artists' like Alice who play a lot of secondary markets, to audiences which don't consist exclusively of fanatics, rather than know everything about everything from the comfort of your internet connection, your perspective might be different. Also, don't exaggerate what I'm saying. There should and I suspect there will, be changes in the future, as I already said, but anyone expecting something from "Easy Action" or songs from each of the albums from the early eighties are not being realistic or wise.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:56 pm

From killer wolf:
you don't know what works until you try.

Why should a crowd be expected to go to the hassle of obtaining tickets (I'm sure many here can tell you what a hassle it is), then actually pay what are often high prices for them, then pay to actually travel to the show, then pay to get something to eat or drink when there, then maybe pay for some merchandise and then after all that, expect them to sit through lots of unfamiliar material? Again, not everyone who goes to one of Alice's show is a fanatic like some people here are.

>everything's a gamble i guess, like certain bands deciding to play an entire new album.

If I went to see Elvis Costello, I would prefer to hear stuff I know I already like. That is because I'm only a casual fan of his and if I want to hear unfamiliar stuff, I can stay home and do that and not pay for a ticket to have to do it.

>it might work, it might suck. but Alice never seems to bother trying.

Why should he do that? What does he have to do satisfy you or those who think like you do? It doesn't matter what he does. If he did all of "Easy Action" someone will complain that it wasn't all of "School's Out". He has to strike a balance.

>same old same old.

Stay home then.

>The fact he trots this usual excuse out then replaces six songs w/ covers says it all,

No, that isn't true. We KNOW why the cover songs are there. This has been debated here since the end of 2012, so I thought everyone was clear on that.

>IMO; that's all it is - an excuse.

Of course, because you've never been in his position.

>obviously he wouldn't do something "w/out a familiar tune or two",

Are you suggesting the other eighteen or so songs should all be less well - known songs?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:04 pm

From bigbradwolf:
"I'm with Alice on this, he has to play the hits. I've got mates going to the Swindon show (first time they'll have seen Alice) and they would feel let down if he didn't play 18, Schools Out, Poison etc."

Exactly. Some people have this strange idea that everyone who goes to see Alice is a fanatic who has been to many of his shows. When you've been to as many shows as I and others have, you can see how varied the audience is.

>I'd love to see Wind Up Toy live but others will moan that they've seen it in 91 and want something even more obscure.

That one should definitely be resurrected.