Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: My Stars, the beginning of the end

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:43 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:'PFOLGORE'..... I wonder who that is.

It couldn't possibly be someone just trying to stir up stuff on this forum could it?

Who would do such a thing.

RMABRWOL
That's funny. Unlike others both past and present on this forum I am never afraid to speak my mind under my own user name.

If anyone would like to read my comments on "My Stars" on a thread which I believe I started a while back they can simply click on the link you provided above.

I have a feeling that some guy over at The Rusty Nickel is having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that Alice and the original band members are on the brink of reuniting. All of his blather and nonsense about Alice and Shep is all being flushed down the toilet.

It looks like the rest of the original band members, including Michael Bruce are about to join up with Alice and his evil puppetmaster Shep. The Rotten Lime will never be the same!

I just hope that it's Steve Hunter that gets the gig to fill Glen's spot. Steve is finally getting the credit he is due for his work on B$B and it would be fitting to include him on any potential tour.

Steve's vision sadly might prevent him playing if this where to happen. Bob Davidson is demanding you pass a lie detector test.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:52 pm

Just tell me when and where to show up. He can even inject me with sodium penathol!

I'll even let you use the giant "Truth Serum" syringe while Shiny Bob holds me down! :)

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:12 pm

mr.barlow wrote:Just tell me when and where to show up. He can even inject me with sodium penathol!

I'll even let you use the giant "Truth Serum" syringe while Shiny Bob holds me down! :)

I hear there is a dentist who collects royalties for the drill sounds whenever Unfinished Suite is played. I'm not sure If it's the same guy who did Alice's teeth in the early 80's though.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:19 pm

It sounds like you have some incisor information!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:25 pm

Now that I think about it--I forgot about a chapter in ShepLog--otherwise known as "A Plan", that discussed the reunion in Dallas that would take place in 2015.

This was conceived back in 1968. Shep felt that since the Kennedy assassination took place in Dallas, Tx, that that would be the place to have the impromptu reunion in a book store in 2015.

You see book stores contain books and there were many books written about The Kennedy Assassination. Also, he thought it would be funny to book a gig in a book store.

Again--this was all part of "a plan" that was hatched by Sinister Shep back in 1948.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:06 pm

Obvious troll is obvious

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:25 pm

Can we please stay on topic. If you have an issue with the original post then state it and why, let me worry about who is who they claim or not.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:20 pm

Pitkin's post summed this up quite quickly, but I will throw my thoughts in also.

I actually hear moments of brilliance and great musicianship in Pretties For You and Easy Action. I played both of these albums the other night for friends, and they were enamored by both. I remember reading an interview where Mike said that had those psychedelic albums been successful, they would have continued in that direction, but they were not, and the Detroit scene gave them a chance to move into the raw, garage rock direction. Psychedelic rock albums were not really accepted by the general public at all. The Stones "A Our Satanic Majesties Request" was a flop. Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett albums are their least selling albums. Frank Zappa, King Crimson, and Genesis who all started with psychedelic tendencies also sold very little. None of these bands have achieved over gold status for their psychedelic works. Frank Zappa and Alice Cooper were not in a land that was accepting of their brand of psychedelia either. They weren't a part of the hippie movement like Jefferson Airplane who also never went above gold status. Alice Cooper's earliest albums were also closer to British psych and early prog which was nothing like the hippie psych of San Francisco and L.A. All these albums however are seen as extremely influential to many musicians, so it appears that the original poster does not have much understanding of psychedelia especially where Alice's brand was coming from and much less understanding of the time period and why those albums were not hits.

I also do not understand why having Rick Derringer on Under My Wheels is some indictment of the rest of the band not being able to play. The whole band still plays on the song. Eric Clapton played on While My Guitar Gently Weeps on the White Album, does this mean the Beatles lacked talent? Ry Cooder played slide guitar on The Stone's Sister Morphine even though Mick Taylor played slide on the rest of the album (and was fully capable to play on that song), and it is very well known that guitarists were brought in due to Glen's absence. None of this was unheard of or out of the ordinary.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:18 am

My god even my smilies are deleted.
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:00 am

mestreech wrote:My god even my smilies are deleted.
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

:nono:

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:52 am

guttertrash wrote:Ry Cooder played slide guitar on The Stone's Sister Morphine even though Mick Taylor played slide on the rest of the album (and was fully capable to play on that song).
Actually Mick Taylor was incapable of playing that part as at the time it was recorded (early 1969) he wasn' t in the stones. :)
Regarding psychedelia, don't forget the huge influence it had on popular culture at the time, television, movies, comedy, art etc. And don't forget there where many successful albums as well, Desraili Gears, Are You Experienced, Revolver, Sgt Pepper. Also I think you'll find that King Crimsons first lp was and is their most successful.
PFY is also one of my favorite albums, I listened to it loads while growing up and I still play it regularly today. It's not everybody's cup of tea I'm aware and I realize that had the band not met Bob Ezrin I might not have had that experience. However I don't agree that Bob is solely responsible for their music.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:03 am

mr.barlow wrote:George Martin was as vital to the success of The Beatles as any of the band members. It was George Martin who created the classic sound of The Beatles. This was mainly due to his classical music background and incredible arranging skills. Hmmmm..sounds similar to Ezrin.

At any rate--all of the songs after Easy Action are heavily influenced by Ezrin. The band members themselves will tell you so. Ezrin, like George Martin, understood that in order to continue to grow you had to up the ante with each album. "Sgt. Pepper's" was a whole new universe compared to "Love Me Do". .
I think you give George Martin to much credit, if he had "created the classic sound of the Beatles" then they would have followed up 'Love Me Do" with "How do you do what you do to me" and we'd probably have never heard from them again. He himself has said he was a facilitator for their ideas

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:13 am

mr.barlow wrote:
One album personifies the genius of Ezrin. That is Dada. That album shows what could be accomplished when Alice, Wagner and Ezrin got together to make an album free from any commercial pressures. That album is pure art
One album personifies the other side of Ezrin. That is Jane's Addiction's Strays. That album shows what could be accomplished if Eric Avery didn't turn up and Perry Farrell and Ezrin got together to make an album free from any artistic merit. That album is pure shit.
Last edited by Babysquid on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:19 am

mr.barlow wrote:"My Stars" was all Dick Wagner.
No it wasn't . If that was the case it would just be a couple of guitar solos separated by long passages of silence.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:40 am

The main take-away from "My Stars" is the soaring melodic guitar parts that accompany the piano at the beginning of the song and at the breaks. It is the signature of the song and it is distinctly Dick Wagner. I think it would be safe to say that Ezrin built the entire song around it.

I'm hoping some day that Ezrin opens up in detail about everything. That will be the only way to put a lot of speculation to rest. Let's hear about the intimate details about the genesis of each song. Let's hear about how each song and album was approached from start to finish. Lets hear about everything!

It's my opinion that "My Stars" is the best song ever recorded by the original band and one of the best ever in the entire career of Alice. The reason for that is Dick Wagner's guitar playing.

What stands out in that song is Dick Wagner. Ezrin used him for a reason and the final product proves Ezrin was right.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:38 am

As Mr Barlow says it would be interesting to hear Bob Ezrin's take on it. The trouble is how much of it would be correct- nobody's memory of the past is beyond contradiction by others.

Bands and producers often have musician friends who are keen to step in and play a line as such. My stars is great musically to me (including live on GTSYAAC film without Dick). Bob Ezrin may have brought Dick in to play certain musical parts as he was better skilled to do so quickly, or maybe he could get on with him better/direct him more easily.

Personally, I see no proof that My Stars was the beginning of the end for the group.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:23 am

PFOLGORE wrote:My Stars, released on the Schools Out Album was perhaps the epiphany and validation rolled in to one to Alice, Bob Ezrin, and Dick Wagner that Alice as a solo Artist didn't need the band. During the Love to Death session Bob became aware of the the limitations of the band's musical abilities. Musically, the songs 18 and Caught in a Dream are the bands best efforts without being propped up by Bob Ezrin or hired talent.
That is just your opinion. To call those tracks the bands best efforts negates things things like 'Black Juju' which was being performed before Ezrin was heavily involved. Sure, Ezrin helped streamline some things and focus the band, but the ideas still came from them.
PFOLGORE wrote: Listen to the bands freshman and sophomore attemps Pretties for You and Easy Action, the only thing that redeems the albums are Alice's clever lyrics; musically and technically they have garage band talent. Most bands do not get three chances, Alice Cooper was very fortunate to have cross paths with their management and producers.

Fortunate indeed, but your argument takes the albums out of the context they were recorded. PFY was a recording of the band basically warming up to record. Zappa pulled the plug before the band even knew their album was complete! Even then the results are great and just because you don`t like them doesn`t mean no one else does. EA showed progression but again they had very limited time to get the results they wanted. This isn`t unusual especially back then. It wasn`t until LITD that they had more time and by then the experience they had had from touring and rehearsing was showing.
PFOLGORE wrote: In Dennis Dunway's book he goes in to details about the Love it to Death recording sessions but is silent on the making Killer, Schools Out, Billion Dollar Babies and Muscle of Love. This is most likely because, Love it to Death is the last album where the band even had close to a majority of control on the product that they put out.
Your logic here is deeply flawed. In Dennis' original vision of the book it was to END after Love It To Death. That is why there is so much more detail up to that point, with less about the later albums. It's that simple. The later material was added at the request of the publishers to tell a complete story. The manuscript was already much too long before that material was added, so extensive editing was done to get the book that was finally published. What you have was a book that was originally too long (for the publishers) being pruned while still having more material added to cover another 4 years of tales. If the book had been as DD originally intended it would have been HUGE and only have covered up to LITD.
PFOLGORE wrote: Bob Erzin influence is felt throughout the whole Album. The Second Coming, the Ballard of Dwight Fry are melodic keyboard driven that has to be all Bob.
Except Michael played those keyboards on the album and live, so saying the band weren`t up to it is obviously incorrect. Plus the germ of those songs came from the band. Ezrin was certainly influential but he couldn`t have done anything without the band.
PFOLGORE wrote: On Killer, Rick Derringer is brought in to play lead on Under My Wheels. The best straight forward rock song on the Album.
Arguably the best, and note how you narrow down the criteria to dismiss half the album. Sure UMW is a great "straight forward rock song" but the albums key songs to me are 'Halo Of Flies', 'Dead Babies' and 'Killer' which are far more sophisticated and came from the band. Parts of Killer were being played back on the Easy Action tour. Did Ezrin have an influence? Of course, but again the bulk of the music and the performances came from the band.
As to Rick playing on 'Under My Wheels' so what? Glen played the solo live night after night. Maybe he wasn`t feeling it when they were recording in the studio. Maybe he had other things personal on his mind at the time, or maybe he had just pulled a cute girl and was busy. Studio time costs money so Rick did a guest appearance. Big deal. It didn`t make or break that song.
PFOLGORE wrote: On Schools Out My Stars could be labeled as Alice's first solo career song. Blue Turk, lyrically, is classic Alice, the best in the business the music is great too, the only problem is you don't go from play distorted guitars leads and simples chord progressions as found on the first three albums to the sublime instrumentals on Blue Turk. Grand Finale also does not sound the like original band. The only songs on the album that sound true to the original band are Public Animal Number 9, and Schools Out. Glen or Michael could never pull off the aggressive leads on My Stars. The is all Alice, Dick and Bob.
Again you ignore the fact that a) the band was progressing at a fast pace b) they, especially Dennis, always had big ideas (Black Juju, Killer etc) but seldom the time to see them through and c) the band played these songs live including 'My Stars'! To say they couldn`t is patently untrue.
I agree that Ezrin had a big influence throwing ideas out but again he was facilitating ideas that came from the band. For example 'Gutter Cats' comes from Alice and Dennis' love of 'West Side Story'. Ezrin was able to capture what they wanted. Neal was a fan of the classic jazz drummers and that was brought out on the album.
I do agree that 'My Stars' was a signpost to what would follow but again the songs and the performances came primarily from the band. I believe back then the end result was more important then who played what. It could be argued maybe that the band should have put a stop to having guests but hindsight is 20/20 and I think at the time the end result sounded great so they were relatively happy.
PFOLGORE wrote: Billion Dollar Babies is essentially Alice's first solo Album. Sure Dennis and Neal may have played on every song, but with the exception to the drum intro on Billion Dollar Babies those roles are pretty much generic.
Twaddle. The album wouldn`t have sounded the way it does without Neal, Dennis and Michael. Glen was having issues so they had guests covering for him and of course that influenced the sound but the backbone of the album is STILL the band. 'Elected' is 'Reflected' and one of the best songs released under the Alice Cooper name. 'Unfinished Sweet' again taps into the bands love of Bond movies and their sense of humour. I agree that again the influence of Wagner and Ezrin points the way to WTMN but to negate the influence of Dennis and Neal and Michael's songwriting and performances to "generic" is bonkers.
PFOLGORE wrote: Alice's Lyrics stand out on this Album and the amazing guitar playing. We know it was not Glen and Michael's role was probably limited to playing some rhythm on certain tracks.
And co-writing almost every song. Take the bands input out of B$B and you would have a pretty short album. 9 of the albums 11 songs were co-written by Michael.
As to lyrics, the first thing most people like about a song is NOT the lyrics, it's the music. Some rapper might write a great set of lyrics but if the music and its performance sucks the song sucks.
PFOLGORE wrote: On Muscle of Love, the troops pushed back a little bit and Bob walked. Without Bob the Album had a some great tracks but did not meet expectations.
Whose expectations? While it might not quite reach the hieghts of the previous few albums it's far from a dud. Also, if Ezrin was solely resonsible for the jazzy elements of 'School's Out' as you intimated above, how do you explain 'Crazy Little Child'? If Ezrin was reponsible for the Bondish 'Unfinished Sweet' then how did they come up with 'The Man With The Golden Gun'?
Again you have a situation of Glen's issues taking him out of the equation, and Michael I don`t think has ever claimed to be a lead guitarist as such (although he has played lead parts occasionally of course) so they used Mick Mashbir and Dick Wagner to complete the album.
PFOLGORE wrote: Last their solo Album Battle Axe, did not have Glen, who actually may have helped it by giving a little rawer edge. But there is nothing note worthy about the Album. Even its best tracks are not as good as Return of the Spiders, or Reflected.
No they aren`t, but no one is saying Ezrin didn`t have any influence (far from it) that was missing from 'Battle Axe'. He took what they band had and brought it to the next level. But the starting point was always the band and their ideas. I always thought the 'battle axe' idea (futuristic gladiators) was a little dopey and not very "Alice Cooper" but it isn`t a terrible album, and who knows what it could have been with Bob and Alice on board. I think if Alice had been there the lyrics would have been substantially different for a start.
PFOLGORE wrote: Alice solo Album Welcome to my Nightmare is a classic and the natural progression from Billion Dollar Babies.
True
PFOLGORE wrote: Michael's solo work is unremarkable
Also true in general, although there are a few moments in there that are cool.
PFOLGORE wrote: Alice's talent outgrew the bands. To keep up management had to bring hired guns so the music was palatable to the public and sold records.
Rubbish. So did Management bring in Wagner etc? or was it Bob? And what about Mashbir who was a band friend from years before?
PFOLGORE wrote: What are the chances of three high school buddies all having superstar talent. There is no chance.
Really? So DD and Neal had no talent???????? Seriously???
What about other bands who formed young? Iommi the only talent in Sabbath? Townsend the only talented musician in The Who? Who was the only talented one in Pink Floyd? The Beatles even? Maybe they didn`t all strictly attend the same school (I don`t know off hand) but they were all bands that formed young and feature immensely talented musicians.
The original band featuring Vince, Dennis and Glen WORKED at their craft to become "superstar talent" as Neal and Michael did before and after they joined. That is what it takes. Musicians are constantly improving and learning new things.
PFOLGORE wrote: Alice was blessed with the talent and the other went along for the ride as long as they could but in the end the facade collapsed and Alice, Dick and Bob were left standing.
That takes away every other factor involved in a band and every other event that happens surrounding them, from relationships (both in and out of the band), opinions, circumstances, illnesses etc etc. Every event effects everything that comes after. Where would Alice be without the songs. Sure, Alice has input into writing the music but he needs someone else to bounce the ideas of, to come up with the riffs and the breaks to hang his ideas and words on. For the early years that was mainly Michael, Dennis and Neal and to write off their contribution is frankily ludicrous.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Well said Si :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:15 pm

It's obvious that Mike and Glenn didn't have a problem with using other guitarists because they were used from KILLER (one solo) through MOL. They didn't let egos get in the way of achieving great results. I remember asking Mike if he played the piano on Mary Ann &'he said he probably could have done it, but he wanted Bob Dolin to do it because he was a "professional pianist" and would get what they were looking for. By the way, Derringer's solo on UMW is maybe a little too much. It's fast & flashy but somehow, to me, never fit the song.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:01 pm

Babysquid wrote:Well said Si :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes very well presented and a good read.Wondering why we have not heard again from the original thread starter.