Hollywood Vampires - Any chance of a live DVD release?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Hollywood Vampires - Any chance of a live DVD release?

Post by darkmenace » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:19 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:A new album from the original band with songs in the calibre of " When Hell Comes Home " wouldn't be far off the ol' classic albums. Brilliant song.
I agree. Nobody is expecting LITD or Killer but an album with gems like this on it would be special. And I mean a full album. The idea of them contributing 2 or 3 songs on an otherwise solo Alice album is not nearly as appealing.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:25 pm

the recent events ( HV, Dallas ) show that Alice can impress without the theatrics as well.
Hearing and seeing perform the four of the ACG those songs(that we heard a thousand times by now in all different settings), was truly something special. I wonder if we'll ever hear what they really thought about it...
you really wouldn't understand..

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:26 pm

darkmenace wrote:
jacknifejohnny wrote:A new album from the original band with songs in the calibre of " When Hell Comes Home " wouldn't be far off the ol' classic albums. Brilliant song.
I agree. Nobody is expecting LITD or Killer but an album with gems like this on it would be special. And I mean a full album. The idea of them contributing 2 or 3 songs on an otherwise solo Alice album is not nearly as appealing.
This is what is weird. WHCTT doesn't sound like something the original band would have produced. Sure, you can maybe recognise DD and NS's playing but the song isn`t in the style of the original band, at least I don`t thnk it is. It sounds more like something that could have been on BP or DT (Michael wrote it for, and submitted it, for DT). As such it sounds more like solo Alice then the band.

What is it about that one track that certain people like when they slam everything else? Is it simply that the guys play on that track?
Surely the end result is more important then simply who is plays on it?

Would those same people be hailing 'Ghouls Gone Wild' if the band played on that as well? Chances are it wouldn`t sound THAT different overall to the version we have.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Re "When Hell comes home", I think the reason that people like it is just that it has a bit of Michael Bruce inventiveness in it- there is a brooding quality to it-dark but musical. I am a huge fan of Alice solo and original band. I have described some of Alice's solo output as patchy but I would also say Muscle of Love was patchy.

It is possible some people like "When hell comes home" because of its origins. However, to many it is simply the best song on Welcome2 (me included). I don't hear it as belonging to BP or Dragontown but we all hear things differently. I still like ACAS in large parts which to some is inexplicable. We have to accept the likes of others I guees even if we can't appreciate it- I still don't like Ubangi Stomp or Damned if you do but some people do.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:31 pm

recoop wrote:It is possible some people like "When hell comes home" because of its origins. However, to many it is simply the best song on Welcome2 (me included).
I agree.

Thinking out loud again, I strongly doubt Alice would do a full album with his former band. It's a lose/lose scenario for Alice. If the album stinks, that's obviously bad. But if it's great, it makes Alice's solo career look poor by comparison, adding ammunition to the camp that says, "He wasn't as good without the band." I'm not sure Alice's pride will allow for that.

Also, despite the "feel good" vibe from occasional performances, I think there is underlying awkwardness and resentment among Alice and the rest, and I think this would also prevent Alice from doing a full album with them.

In an ideal world, we'd see a full band album. Unfortunately, the world is seldom ideal.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:15 am

darkmenace wrote:
recoop wrote:It is possible some people like "When hell comes home" because of its origins. However, to many it is simply the best song on Welcome2 (me included).
I agree.

Thinking out loud again, I strongly doubt Alice would do a full album with his former band. It's a lose/lose scenario for Alice. If the album stinks, that's obviously bad. But if it's great, it makes Alice's solo career look poor by comparison, adding ammunition to the camp that says, "He wasn't as good without the band." I'm not sure Alice's pride will allow for that.

Also, despite the "feel good" vibe from occasional performances, I think there is underlying awkwardness and resentment among Alice and the rest, and I think this would also prevent Alice from doing a full album with them.

In an ideal world, we'd see a full band album. Unfortunately, the world is seldom ideal.

It is really not. I doubt whether Alice cares a bit what people think about the solo work v the work with the band. Do you really believe he is that insecure? They would more likely than not make a solid album. The only obstacles I could see would be guest artists/guitarists. Keep the four of them with one other guitarist amd you will get that uniform sound. As for any awkwardness I don't see it with what has happened over the last few years.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:30 am

Si wrote:
darkmenace wrote:
This is what is weird. WHCTT doesn't sound like something the original band would have produced. Sure, you can maybe recognise DD and NS's playing but the song isn`t in the style of the original band, at least I don`t thnk it is. It sounds more like something that could have been on BP or DT (Michael wrote it for, and submitted it, for DT). As such it sounds more like solo Alice then the band.

What is it about that one track that certain people like when they slam everything else? Is it simply that the guys play on that track?
Surely the end result is more important then simply who is plays on it?

Would those same people be hailing 'Ghouls Gone Wild' if the band played on that as well? Chances are it wouldn`t sound THAT different overall to the version we have.

No one in their right mind would fawn over GGW even if Glen returned from the dead and played on it. No one here really raved about School's Out/Another Brick just because Neal and Dennis where on it. Far from it. WHCH is simply a very strong track and a grower.

I'm not quite sure what you are thinking the band should sound like forty years on. You've already said they can't capture what the did 70-74. Neal's stuff is certainly as heavy sounding as anything Alice has ever done solo.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:32 am

darkmenace wrote:

Agreed. A full album would be the ultimate.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:14 am

pitkin88 wrote:Do you really believe he is that insecure?
Yes. Although I used the word pride because I believe there is ego involved.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:08 am

personally i think WHCH is one fo the weakest tracks, don't really care for it at all. not a patch on the sublime LMoE.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:12 am

killer wolf wrote:personally i think WHCH is one fo the weakest tracks, .
Couldn't agree more , possibly worst track on the album

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:20 am

From Si:
"WHCTT doesn't sound like something the original band would have produced."

I think the ending does but you're right about the rest of it.

> Surely the end result is more important then simply who is plays on it?

I agree.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:55 am

I think When Hell Comes Home is a decent track but nothing more. I really like the gritty production on that one whereas many of the tracks on W2MN suffer from being a little too slick for my liking.

I happen to think a new album from the ACG would be worth listening to. I very much doubt it would be anywhere near the standards of the original albums but i'd like to hear it all the same.

Does Alice need to do it at this point in his career? Ofcourse not. Infact, i'd say apart from some people on here and a few nutters on Facebook, there's very little demand from it globally.

It would be a talking point though and would certainly garner some interest from the old school rock journalism lot.

After seeing that recent live performance video, it's clear that they can all still play brilliantly. Dennis Dunaway in particular sounds fantastic and will always be one of my favourite bassists.

Also nice to see Michael Bruce looking fresh faced and healthy :)

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:06 pm

IMO, " When Hell Comes Home" could have fit right in on " Muscle Of Love ", reminds me of the sound on " Big Apple Dreamin' " Take "Woman Machine " off that album and replace it with "When Hell Comes Home" and you would have a bloody strong album.....IMO

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:13 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:IMO, " When Hell Comes Home" could have fit right in on " Muscle Of Love ", reminds me of the sound on " Big Apple Dreamin' " Take "Woman Machine " off that album and replace it with "When Hell Comes Home" and you would have a bloody strong album.....IMO
Agree. The crunching guitar riffs on Big Apple Dreamin have a similar solid thudding quality, to me, as "When Hell Comes Home" so would fit quite well on MOL. Maybe Mike Bruce was harking back to late 1973 when he wrote "When Hell Comes Home".
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:51 pm

I'm of the opinion that anything Alice or the guys have done either together or in their own projects since around 2000 is pretty much all just gravy. Sure some of it is really good and some is not. But these guys have been around 40+ years and as we all know that's pretty damn remarkable. Especially in today's music business climate when an artist is lucky to be around more than 6 months.
And yeah I've been underwhelmed with some of the stuff in the last few years but I'll take what I can get from here on out because there might not be very much else on the horizon.
When I die I hope I'm surrounded by burning gas and shattered chrome.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:19 pm

It's all perspective.
Some of my fave alice albums are post 1985 and i love welcome 2 my nightmare, even though any right minded person would have swapped ghouls gone wild for under the bed i still dont hate ghouls gone wild like most on here.
Also When hell comes home is a good track but i have at least 5 others from that album i think are better.
In fact my worst tracks are "bite your face off" and "something to remember you by"
But back on track i don't want a hollywood vampires live dvd/album or whatever i would very much like this period over and done with and Alice move on.
But unlike some others i don't want alice to go backwards and work with the orignal group (unless it will be for artistic reasons ie they have amazing material) i would love alice to get a new band and inject some new life into his unique style.

I like that alice is releasing lots of live DVDs in the last 15 odd years, but would be nice to get a proper raise your fist and yell live dvd (not the dress rehearsal on the prime cuts things - which is just the worst menu system in the universe and yes i know you can chapter search but it doesn't exactly make it easy) or a hey stoopid live show (i have only seen the TV footage split with judas priest)

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:18 pm

If the fans who like the band like it and thes one who pretty much like anything like it we should all be pretty much happy.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:04 pm

It seems to me that Alice has come full circle in his career. It seems he is enjoying playing his hits and also reconnecting with his old bandmates and friends in a professional way all these years later.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a full album of material by the original band is in the future. Also, I'm sure at least a small tour will accompany such a release.

Again--everybody has to take into account the ages of all involved. Alice will turn 68 in February. If an album is written and recorded it would most likely not see a release date until late 2016 or early 2017.

Alice will be nearing 70 years old by the time the album is released and touring commences if it were to actually happen.

I think it would be not be out of the question for Alice to close out his career with such and album and tour. Again--coming full circle and ending it where it started--with the original band. They can all then take their final bows together.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:12 am

mr.barlow wrote:It seems to me that Alice has come full circle in his career. It seems he is enjoying playing his hits and also reconnecting with his old bandmates and friends in a professional way all these years later.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a full album of material by the original band is in the future. Also, I'm sure at least a small tour will accompany such a release.

Again--everybody has to take into account the ages of all involved. Alice will turn 68 in February. If an album is written and recorded it would most likely not see a release date until late 2016 or early 2017.

Alice will be nearing 70 years old by the time the album is released and touring commences if it were to actually happen.

I think it would be not be out of the question for Alice to close out his career with such and album and tour. Again--coming full circle and ending it where it started--with the original band. They can all then take their final bows together.
Not a bad scenario, as far as age goes all are getting up there & the opportunity is presenting itself but it all comes down to can it sell to an aging public also? A tour would be the only thing that could put it over but would all be up to it?
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...