I suspect a new album is already being prepared...

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Re: I suspect a new album is already being prepared...

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:50 am

It occurred to me today, how my interest in new Alice has waned. I was making an online order that included DD book, the MoL 4.0 SACD and as I clicked around for perhaps other Alice product, saw The Hollywood Vampires and took a pass. Chose the 40th Anniversary Edition of A Passion Play and the 30th Anniversary Edition of Ziggy Stardust - The Motion Picture dvd, instead. Not likely to buy the new studio effort whenever that comes out, either. I think I'm done. Only quality archival material for me now. It was a long run but the end of the road is here.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:08 am

I feel the same as Toronto Bob. A fan since 1971, there have been times in the past when I've temporarily put Alice on the backburner, but now I wonder if it's more permanent. AC is still, undoubtedly, a slick, professional act - testament to his stamina and enthusiasm - but all the retro (hair)metal/classic rawk, endless regurgitations of the 'same old' stageshow, a seeming disinterest in 'new' music/'experimentation' etc etc. has gradually alienated me.

I didn't bother buying the last two live albums ('Nice Guy' & 'RTD') and had zero interest in 'Hollywood Vampires'. There's also been a knock-on effect: last year I got rid of several back catalogue solo albums; growing disinterest encourages more objectivity. For me, Alice has now become just 'one of the crowd', and the prospect of a new album doesn't excite me much.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:40 am

Hollywood Vampires was quite weak but Welcome 2 My Nightmare was/is a great album and I thought production was spot on for most of the time. It was a big relief for me after lame and nearly disastrous Along Came a Spider. W2MN is easily the most adventurous Alice Cooper album in this Millennium (I am surprised if someone disagrees with me about this point) and guitar solos and musicianship on that album blow away all Alice Cooper albums post The Last Temptation. Many songs on W2MN still sound quite fresh to me.

I'm maybe in the minority but I don't want a reunion tour and the recent live clips of original band were quite awful to be honest. Some sort of studio and writing collaboration might be okay though. I hope Alice Cooper creates a bit more ambitious stage show on the next tour and forgets and ditches a cover song debacle called Hollywood Vampires.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:47 pm

Only just got around to listening to the Hollywood Vampires thing. It just seems so unnecessary to me. Nothing on there blows me away or even warrants a second listen, with the exception of Raise the Dead which is pretty solid as songs go.

As for new albums... i'd be interested in hearing something similar to Eyes because that was a fun album for me. W2MN hasn't stood up to repeated listenings. It has 3 or 4 VERY good songs and the rest are pretty forgettable. Production is stunning on it though.... maybe a little too good.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:43 pm

I only hope on a new album with NO ballads / NO covers / NO guest musicians. Just give me a straight forward rockalbum.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:26 pm

I guess the fact that W2MN had a diverse range of music from great rock n' roll to completely asinine neo-disco pop does make it his most adventurous, but it's that shit that has made me care less about his solo albums. The band was a rock n' roll machine. Alice solo has been anything but excluding the original Nightmare album and a track here and there on each album until you get to Eyes and DD (his trip down industrial lane withheld). ACAS was a terrible album production wise, and Danny Saber slowed the songs down to the point that they had no groove or energy, but those are some good rock songs when edited and sped up a bit. The majority of W2MN was just utter, trite shit. The songs featuring the original band were good, and the some folks homage of last man on earth is fine, but it wasn't original or creative considering he had been down that road on the original Nightmare. The only truly adventurous songs are the stabs at modern pop/rock and dance, and they are failures.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:39 pm

For me best song on W2MN was When Hell Comes Home with A Runaway Train right up there. A band album would have interested me most this time, would have been very psyched. Hate to see this opportunity slip away.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:15 pm

Have to admit my interest, too has waned a bit. I used to buy his stuff on the day of release but didn't bother even buying RTD and H Vampires. The tours have been pretty much the same for the last few years. Time to ditch the giant step ladder on wheels that he stole from Home Depot. Only an original band reunion would help at this point. I'll always check out new albums but with not as much enthusiasm. He needs a complete reinvention again. Something along the lines of Flush the Fashion or Brutal Planet. Something completely unexpected.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:35 pm

I'm not sure how much Alice cares about another reinvention. He will be 68 years old in a few weeks and seems pretty comfortable doing what he's doing.

I think 2016 will see some new songs and performances with the original band and the album Tommy Henrikson mentioned (possibly one and the same). I think any album or songs with the original band will include the current members of the current touring band in supporting positions.

I think it will be more of the same with the touring with some original band shows mixed into the major markets. I can even see split shows of half of show of original band backed with some members of the touring band and a half show of solo Alice.

At any rate-I don't think there is going to be another Flush The Fashion style and image change, or a Brutal Planet. Alice is comfortable being "classic" Alice and has spent the course of the last few years establishing his legacy and that of the original band. There is no need to change now--and to be honest--what's the point?

I will say this--if at 68 years old Alice decides to bring back the Special Forces Alice character I will travel anywhere in the world to see it (and again pay for Pitkin and Amuk's expenses to join me). The visual of old Alice in that get up would be worth any amount of money to see!

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:56 am

nothing wrong in alice being classic rock and not having a wild reinvention. (as much as it would be awesome if he did)
But lets knuckle down and release a proper follow up to the, frankly amazing W2MN.
Hollywood vampires was a horrible release, i didnt mind the 2 new songs but what a waste of plastic that album was havent listened to it since.
W2MN was a varied classic album, yeah we ALL know he should have included "under the bed" - even a deaf man could have told him that (good to see Tommy, Tommy, Tommy agrees also)but W2MN was a return to form which was a long time coming.
The production was faultless and while i would have scratched off that horrible saccharin ballad (just because dick wagner co wrote it doesn't mean its not awful) the trite Bite your face off and ghouls gone wild. But the album worked overall and it rocked for the most part.

The eyes and DD were both interesting experiments that if your careful with the tracks could put together one good album. (also why the **** wasnt sharpest pain on the album?!!?) but i dont want another of "those" albums.
Stick to the darker, creepy stuff, that's when it works best.

But just bring on some new material! i'm all up for it either way, at least its interesting and something to discuss (which is hollywood vampires biggest issue - there is nothing to say about it other than its pointless and uninteresting - at least W2MN sparks some discussion)

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:27 am

mr.barlow wrote:I'm not sure how much Alice cares about another reinvention. He will be 68 years old in a few weeks and seems pretty comfortable doing what he's doing.

I think 2016 will see some new songs and performances with the original band and the album Tommy Henrikson mentioned (possibly one and the same). I think any album or songs with the original band will include the current members of the current touring band in supporting positions.

I think it will be more of the same with the touring with some original band shows mixed into the major markets. I can even see split shows of half of show of original band backed with some members of the touring band and a half show of solo Alice.

At any rate-I don't think there is going to be another Flush The Fashion style and image change, or a Brutal Planet. Alice is comfortable being "classic" Alice and has spent the course of the last few years establishing his legacy and that of the original band. There is no need to change now--and to be honest--what's the point?

I will say this--if at 68 years old Alice decides to bring back the Special Forces Alice character I will travel anywhere in the world to see it (and again pay for Pitkin and Amuk's expenses to join me). The visual of old Alice in that get up would be worth any amount of money to see!
You are quite right on many points, Mr. B. Alice doesn't owe us anything these days. He's given us decades of great music and memories, BUT my guess is that he doesn't consider age too much in dictating what he'll do musically. Wouldn't surprise me if he did reinvent Alice on a new album.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:33 am

From mr.bluelegs:
"Time to ditch the giant step ladder on wheels that he stole from Home Depot."

That hasn't been in the show for three years actually.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:52 pm

to give things a positive swing : I liked HV ! Maybe because I saw it as done by Alice-the-singer enjoying himself, not the Alice the showman with all the well known stuff. Not as a new album by Alice Cooper..
Especially Cold Turkey and the cover from the faces are well sung imo.
Adding nothing new to the orinals ? If he would have sung it otherwise some would have said he "killed" the songs..
Would we "like" something new "totally different ?" I hardly dare to bring up the comparison with a certain DB walking different paths, but after being a fan since BDB, I'm still glad to recognise my old pal in his musical choices...
you really wouldn't understand..

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:21 am

I enjoyed bot the HV and W2MN. I found HV a lot more energetic than I expected, I liked the Nillson and Doors covers, I loved the version of whole lotta love and I really liked itchico park although it was let down by the comedy stop towards the end. I thought W2MN was great to, maybe a bit 'metal' for me in some areas but on the whole a good diverse album.
I'll be interested to see what he comes up with next.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:50 am

maybe a bit 'metal' for me in some areas
hehehe more metal is always a good thing :)

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:18 pm

Babysquid wrote:I enjoyed bot the HV and W2MN. I found HV a lot more energetic than I expected, I liked the Nillson and Doors covers, I loved the version of whole lotta love and I really liked itchico park although it was let down by the comedy stop towards the end. I thought W2MN was great to, maybe a bit 'metal' for me in some areas but on the whole a good diverse album.
I'll be interested to see what he comes up with next.
I'm glad the last few comments have been more positive! I was beginning to think this was the grumpy old men forum! I thought HV was Alice rocking old school with friends, enjoying himself. I liked most of it in a good fun rocking kind of way. I think a new album will be classic rock, mostly new material from the touring band and some contributions from the ACG! I just hope we get a full uk tour out of It!

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:34 am

Well, listening to David Bowie in mourning...I am glad that these musicians..(Alice and David) have stuck to their guns and made music that they wanted to make...regardless of ANYONE and their opinions.

I like everything by Alice. Why? because he is Alice.

I enjoyed W2MN a lot. I also enjoyed HV...so honestly...I can't wait until Alice's next album.

Because, it will be all I have if Alice dies. Be grateful for what we get....the creativity of an artist.

David Bowie has left behind a great catalog of creativity....regardless of what is a "favorite" or a "hit".
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:59 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:worryingly they seemed to praise the eyes of alice cooper type approach. Which for me would be a woeful step back.
I for one want more intelligent, dark material with a bit of bite.
Fingers crossed :)
Me too!!
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:13 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
maybe a bit 'metal' for me in some areas
hehehe more metal is always a good thing :)
Hey yes of course! Each their own, diversity makes the world go round. :grin:

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:48 pm

I like all kinds of sub-genres of rock. I just want more interesting, original quality music. Metal/folk/electronica whatever Alice feels like - just make it good. What's good? I can't give you a definition - I just know it when I hear it (hint: it ain't Ghouls Gone Wild)