Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Hollywood Vampires Chart performance

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:34 pm

From pitkin88:
"How many listens is a success?"

That would be in relation to the total number of streams at that particular service (which is what payments are based on).

>I think people are interested in the sales as it is the sales that bring the money in.

Well, not for much longer, though. We know that because of the declining interest in physical formats.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:03 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:
"How many listens is a success?"

That would be in relation to the total number of streams at that particular service (which is what payments are based on).

>I think people are interested in the sales as it is the sales that bring the money in.

Well, not for much longer, though. We know that because of the declining interest in physical formats.

So what is the answer to the first part about the number of streams?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:22 pm

From pitkin88:
"So what is the answer to the first part about the number of streams?"

More or less how I described it. There is a section on the Spotify site that explains the process.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:44 pm

"So what is the answer to the first part about the number of streams?"

More or less how I described it. There is a section on the Spotify site that explains the process.

So is it a success or not? Using your definition.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:57 pm

The 10 tracks they have listed the streaming for have generated somewhere between $1290 to $1935.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:27 pm

recoop wrote:
concolz wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:Does anyone know how it's charting in Morocco?
Cuba?
Antartica?
Galapagos Islands?
First - it's sold Fez all. Second - Havana clue. Third - penguins prefer Fish. Fourth - tortoises haven't reached record shop yet. Expect it's doing well in Transylvania.
Pretty funny I grant you but what is funnier to me is that you seem to be taking pleasure out of an album not charting highly when the artists proceeds are being donated to charity. Is it just the album you don't like or the charity as well?
My post was to point out the ridiculousness of searching the world over for chart positions. As Amuk has most correctly pointed out in his posts on this thread, physical sales and their respective chart positions are pointless in today's market.

11,000 units gets you a high chart position in the USA? Do you know how AWFUL that is compared to years past when a release like HV would have sold 5 times that in a week and have trouble making the charts. It's a different world and market.

I never held high expectations for HV or any of Alice's releases of the last 10-15 years when it comes to them becoming blockbusters or burning up the charts. He now makes releases catering to a niche market and his fan base--he's been doing so since TLT. I don't think Shep and Alice had any delusions of Alice cracking the top 10 with any release since The Last Temptation--maybe with exception of WTMN2--but even then I'm sure they were looking for more but within a range of realistic expectations.

To be honest I think HV is doing better than I thought it would, and it is getting tons of press and attention, again, much more than I expected.

The money will be made off the tour and shows and the press and attention could and should help Alice with future projects--more importantly in keeps him in a high profile position and his name in the press. All good for business. It will also help new fans to his classic back catalog.

Alice is now a nostalgia or legacy act. He is marketing himself as such and finally celebrating his life's work. He is finally taking time to stop and smell the roses and look back and enjoy all he has given and accomplished.He is reconnecting with the members of the original band and I'm sure we will see more collaborations with them.

This is what people usually do when they retire. They look back and enjoy the fruits of their lifelong labors. The thing is Alice is not retiring--and I agree that I think he will go until he drops dead. He is however finally relaxing. You can see how happy he is doing what he is doing. He is working at his own pace, with no pressures, commercial or otherwise, and you can see he is having the time of his life.

I'm sure there will be a new album and tours but I don't think we'll ever see a top 10 album--and I think that some fans are too obsessed with chart positions.

Dada to me is Alice's best album--and it sold 10 copies! Chart positions do not make an album any better or worse to the listener. Who cares how high or low an album charts? Especially it's chart position in Iceland, Romania, or even Vulgaria!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:40 pm

From pitkin88:
"So is it a success or not? Using your definition."

I haven't checked the numbers so I don't know. My guess is it won't be in comparison with the past, but I made that point here already in another thread as did at least one other person too.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:45 pm

"So is it a success or not? Using your definition."

I haven't checked the numbers so I don't know. My guess is it won't be in comparison with the past, but I made that point here already in another thread as did at least one other person too.

Appreciate the answer. Do you happen to know, as the proceeds, of this is going to charity, if the writers of the songs and the labels/owners still get paid?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:49 pm

From pitkin88:
"Do you happen to know, as the proceeds, of this is going to charity, if the writers of the songs and the labels/owners still get paid?"

No, I don't but I suspect they will.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:10 pm

It sold 2,816 copies in UK, first week of release.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:09 pm

concolz wrote:It sold 2,816 copies in UK, first week of release.

I would say yikes but comparing the popu;ation of the US with the UK that seems about right. I wonder, in retrospect, if this should gave been given away free with one of the newspapers.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Maybe with Classic Rock magazine, which is what happened with W2MN.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:32 am

Pretty damn stupid to make a cd anymore.

The best idea is to get with ur group. Write musice. Take it on the road and say screw the record labels. Alice cooper/the nazz started out that way all bands do. If you make a cd. How much of one cd sale do you actually end up with a few pennies make some shirts print up some cds of ur own show and offer them at the shows or better yet just tell people to go download the shows for free at my site and let it spred. If alice loves being on the road like most bands do. Just stick to the road. Making cds are pointless anymore. Word of mouth is what made bands long ago and still do to this day. Record lables are a joke.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:44 am

Keith1980 wrote:Pretty damn stupid to make a cd anymore.

The best idea is to get with ur group. Write musice. Take it on the road and say screw the record labels. Alice cooper/the nazz started out that way all bands do. If you make a cd. How much of one cd sale do you actually end up with a few pennies make some shirts print up some cds of ur own show and offer them at the shows or better yet just tell people to go download the shows for free at my site and let it spred. If alice loves being on the road like most bands do. Just stick to the road. Making cds are pointless anymore. Word of mouth is what made bands long ago and still do to this day. Record lables are a joke.

I think he'd make more selling cds or downloads on his web site or at the shows too.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:38 am

Keith1980 wrote:Pretty damn stupid to make a cd anymore.
Trawling the world's charts (admittedly ridiculous, but deliberately so, in order to counteract the OTT Depp-effect forecasters) opened my eyes to which rock albums are selling well in their first couple of weeks. Iron Maiden (400,000); Five Finger Death Punch (210,000) and Slayer (125,000).

Motorhead? You'd probably think their heyday was long gone - after all, they were supporting Alice a few years ago - but no, they sold 122,000; topping the charts in several countries. Yes, equivalent chart position sales would have been greater fifteen years ago, but some acts can obviously still tap into a good-size fanbase, and interest fickle Joe Public.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:56 am

Not chart related per se but Come & Get It & Schools out/Brick were played on Australian Radio today , first time I've heard a new Alice release played since probably Lost in America

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:57 am

Not chart related per se but Come & Get It & Schools out/Brick were played on Australian Radio today , first time I've heard a new Alice release played since probably Lost in America

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:14 am

From concolz:
"Motorhead? You'd probably think their heyday was long gone - after all, they were supporting Alice a few years ago - but no, they sold 122,000; topping the charts in several countries."

If that figure is correct (you didn't specify which territory or territories that figure is from) and since (unless I'm wrong) they don't seem to sell as many concert tickets a year as Alice does, it just proves the point which has been made over and over again which is that the majority of the people who go to see Alice are not fanatics who want to hear new or obscure material at the shows.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:07 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From concolz:
"Motorhead? You'd probably think their heyday was long gone - after all, they were supporting Alice a few years ago - but no, they sold 122,000; topping the charts in several countries."

If that figure is correct (you didn't specify which territory or territories that figure is from) and since (unless I'm wrong) they don't seem to sell as many concert tickets a year as Alice does, it just proves the point which has been made over and over again which is that the majority of the people who go to see Alice are not fanatics who want to hear new or obscure material at the shows.

They hear what is played. Some new or obscure tracks is not going to start a mass exodus just as Johnny Depp is not going to start a mass cd buying stampede.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:35 pm

From pitkin88:
"They hear what is played."

That is what David Bowie thought when he stopped performing his hits but he soon changed his mind though. If you don't think the majority of the general and casual audience doesn't want to hear the hits or familiar material, then it doesn't sound like you go to many shows in relatively big venues by relatively big srtist or see the criticism that artists who don't play familiar material get from those who buy tickets. If you're playing to three people, you can more or less do what you want but if your're playing to three thousand peoeple or thirty thousand people, it's unbelievably arrogant of any artist to think "They hear what is played". Again, Bowie tried that it didn't go very well (as at different times have Madonna, Prince and Morrissey as well).

>Some new or obscure tracks is not going to start a mass exodus

It depends what you mean by "some" though and besides, it can lead to less tickets being sold on the next tour.