Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Thoughts on the new album

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:17 pm

From Keith1980:
"Well he has said hed like to go back and remake some of those songs"

Yes, I know but it doesn't mean that it's going to happen just because he's involved in this particular album.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:08 pm

evil syd wrote:
dadascot wrote:There are some really dour people on this forum! This album has brought Alice more press than he has had in years, the sales look to be solid, certainly a lot better than his ninetie's and naughtie's sales, it is, in my opinion, a very good fun album and I like that he is doing something different and obviously something he is having fun at. All the non Alice fans I have played the album to have really liked it so it is expanding his fan base. I love the drums and rythnm section it a real powerhouse sound on most of the tracks. Guys enjoy, it's fun.
But that's the whole point, if you read "my review" earlier, it seems more personal, more about getting back in the charts. It's sad that he choses other people's material to work it. I put up there with Trash and at least Trash had some good original material. You mentioned all the non Alice fans liked it, well, this is not Alice Cooper, it's Vincent Furnier and friends performing mostly contemporary rock songs and either his fans will love it because they feel devoted or hate it because this is just not Coop material, which is another comparison to "Trash". I guess an early hint of this album to come was Vincent's version of "Eleanor Rigby". Compare that version to his version of "Because". Now that's Alice singing that one with all the funny creepy add libs. It worked, at least I thought so. Anyway, it's really not much of an album. I mean Johnny Depp is also the main musician, it tells you something. Another thing, another version of "School's Out"? We had that version on the live album/DVD....I could go on...... :smack:

Don't worry Syd the nightmare is almost over. Once the never ending Motley tour is over you will probably get your wish. Goodbye Vince and The Toothless Vampires.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:39 pm

pitkin88 wrote:

Don't worry Syd the nightmare is almost over. Once the never ending Motley tour is over you will probably get your wish. Goodbye Vince and The Toothless Vampires.
:clap: :laugh: :clap: :laugh:
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:54 pm

I think it's possible that they decide to do HV2 within the next 2 years and then Alice will go back to his solo career. Especially since Alice seems to do most of his albums in 2s between classic rock and concept albums. The next one would point to another classic rock album, whether it's with the Vampires or on his own. I wouldn't be opposed to it, I would just hope they are all original songs since the covers project is now finished and takes a lot of effort to get everyone in the studio at once.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:57 pm

andyrew wrote:I think it's possible that they decide to do HV2 within the next 2 years....
:(

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:26 pm

andyrew wrote:I think it's possible that they decide to do HV2 within the next 2 years and then Alice will go back to his solo career. Especially since Alice seems to do most of his albums in 2s between classic rock and concept albums. The next one would point to another classic rock album, whether it's with the Vampires or on his own. I wouldn't be opposed to it, I would just hope they are all original songs since the covers project is now finished and takes a lot of effort to get everyone in the studio at once.
If that's the case then Alice would resume his solo career at the age of 70. Again--fans have to take into account Alice's age.

They say that 70 is the new 50 and we all know that Alice is in fine shape, but it has to be factored in when trying to figure out what Alice might do in the future.

It's my opinion that he is entering a new pahse of his career, and that HV is an example of the type of things he will do in the upcoming years. I'm not saying that there will be never be any new material or even an album, but I think he is entering the final phase of his career.

I don't think we will ever see a tour like Welcome To My Nightmare or The Nightmare Returns ever again as to be quite honest--it's just not worth the investment--for many reasons--most of them glaringly obvious. Also those albums and tours were done in a different era where there was a market that supported both the albums and tours.

Alice seems to be liking this nostalgic phase and it seems where his passion is at right now. Could it pass---sure. But I wouldn't but any hope in Alice conquering the world and becoming a top selling superstar at the age of 70 years old and touring with a state-of-the art multi-million dollar stage show anytme in the future.

He will give great shows and play the hits and I'm sure we'll get some new material. I would say that most of it will be with high-profile collaborators. I also feel that there will be a lot more to come with some or all of the original band members.

But again--it would be folly to think that we will ever again see the Alice of 1972, 1975 or 1986. Those were incredible times in an incredible era of rock n roll.

It's a different time now, the world and the industry is completely different than it was back then. Also, Alice is no longer the 25 year old rock star the world loved to hate. He is now an elder-statesman of rock n roll. A beloved icon who is comfortable with his legacy and is in the midst of celebrating it.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:10 am

mr.barlow wrote:
If that's the case then Alice would resume his solo career at the age of 70. Again--fans have to take into account Alice's age.

They say that 70 is the new 50 and we all know that Alice is in fine shape, but it has to be factored in when trying to figure out what Alice might do in the future.

It's my opinion that he is entering a new pahse of his career, and that HV is an example of the type of things he will do in the upcoming years. I'm not saying that there will be never be any new material or even an album, but I think he is entering the final phase of his career.

I don't think we will ever see a tour like Welcome To My Nightmare or The Nightmare Returns ever again as to be quite honest--it's just not worth the investment--for many reasons--most of them glaringly obvious. Also those albums and tours were done in a different era where there was a market that supported both the albums and tours.

Alice seems to be liking this nostalgic phase and it seems where his passion is at right now. Could it pass---sure. But I wouldn't but any hope in Alice conquering the world and becoming a top selling superstar at the age of 70 years old and touring with a state-of-the art multi-million dollar stage show anytme in the future.

He will give great shows and play the hits and I'm sure we'll get some new material. I would say that most of it will be with high-profile collaborators. I also feel that there will be a lot more to come with some or all of the original band members.

But again--it would be folly to think that we will ever again see the Alice of 1972, 1975 or 1986. Those were incredible times in an incredible era of rock n roll.

It's a different time now, the world and the industry is completely different than it was back then. Also, Alice is no longer the 25 year old rock star the world loved to hate. He is now an elder-statesman of rock n roll. A beloved icon who is comfortable with his legacy and is in the midst of celebrating it.
Mr. Barlow, I couldn't agree with you more. But that goes for most rock stars heading towards their elderly years. Young rock musician's tend to push the envelope more. I think in Coop's case, he's developed more into a parody of his former self. That radical angry darker youth is gone and he's now in a happier place reflecting on his past which will ultimately come out in the music too. He is now an older nostalgic Vincent Furnier playing a part and trying get some more success before he eventually bows out of the business. Unfortunately, if Vincent stays in this phase, I will wish him the best and most likely sway away from it because a great song writing legend performing covers fustrates me. Of course I will always be a Coop fan and still sit back, reflect, and enjoy his great career for the rest of my life. :alice:

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:18 am

mr.barlow wrote:
andyrew wrote:I think it's possible that they decide to do HV2 within the next 2 years and then Alice will go back to his solo career. Especially since Alice seems to do most of his albums in 2s between classic rock and concept albums. The next one would point to another classic rock album, whether it's with the Vampires or on his own. I wouldn't be opposed to it, I would just hope they are all original songs since the covers project is now finished and takes a lot of effort to get everyone in the studio at once.

I agree we will never see anything more than he has been doing on tour of late. I dont think a ton of money has to be spent to shake things up but he is just complacent and content to live on the legacy.

As for stopping or slowling down there is nothing to indicate that. He will probably tour til he drops like Lemme.

I think we might get another two studio albums out of him plus a few more non essential live dvds.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:29 am

Let's all organize a mass burning of our Alice Cooper records and memorabilia and "cleanse" ourselves of Alice's evil doings.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:12 am

evil syd wrote:I guess an early hint of this album to come was Vincent's version of "Eleanor Rigby". C
who's Vincent?
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:11 am

pitkin88 wrote:He will probably tour til he drops like Lemme.
Who's Lemme?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:29 am

killer wolf wrote:
evil syd wrote:I guess an early hint of this album to come was Vincent's version of "Eleanor Rigby". C
who's Vincent?
I guess you're kidding, right? :yawn:
Well, I will still tell ya anyway, Vincent Damon Furnier ----> :alice:

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:37 am

evil syd wrote:
dadascot wrote:There are some really dour people on this forum! This album has brought Alice more press than he has had in years, the sales look to be solid, certainly a lot better than his ninetie's and naughtie's sales, it is, in my opinion, a very good fun album and I like that he is doing something different and obviously something he is having fun at. All the non Alice fans I have played the album to have really liked it so it is expanding his fan base. I love the drums and rythnm section it a real powerhouse sound on most of the tracks. Guys enjoy, it's fun.
But that's the whole point, if you read "my review" earlier, it seems more personal, more about getting back in the charts. It's sad that he choses other people's material to work it. I put up there with Trash and at least Trash had some good original material. You mentioned all the non Alice fans liked it, well, this is not Alice Cooper, it's Vincent Furnier and friends performing mostly contemporary rock songs and either his fans will love it because they feel devoted or hate it because this is just not Coop material, which is another comparison to "Trash". I guess an early hint of this album to come was Vincent's version of "Eleanor Rigby". Compare that version to his version of "Because". Now that's Alice singing that one with all the funny creepy add libs. It worked, at least I thought so. Anyway, it's really not much of an album. I mean Johnny Depp is also the main musician, it tells you something. Another thing, another version of "School's Out"? We had that version on the live album/DVD....I could go on...... :smack:
Obviously this is your opinion and you are entitled to it. "Not the real Alice" is an interesting phrase! The ACG were the greatest Detroit rock band because they played great rock music based on British blues bands of the sixties. They mixed this with great diversity. To me this album is much closer to that spirit than constrictor, RYFAY, BP, dragontown or ACAS, where Alice growls through song after song as some guitar screeches away continually. Most of those albums had one or two redeeming moments but this is great garage rock. I could have done with a different who song rather than my generation and would have preferred a different cooper song, elected would have been great, but still prefer this album by a country mile to an of the aforementioned.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:56 am

dadascot wrote:
Obviously this is your opinion and you are entitled to it. "Not the real Alice" is an interesting phrase! The ACG were the greatest Detroit rock band because they played great rock music based on British blues bands of the sixties. They mixed this with great diversity. To me this album is much closer to that spirit than constrictor, RYFAY, BP, dragontown or ACAS, where Alice growls through song after song as some guitar screeches away continually. Most of those albums had one or two redeeming moments but this is great garage rock. I could have done with a different who song rather than my generation and would have preferred a different cooper song, elected would have been great, but still prefer this album by a country mile to an of the aforementioned.
Cool, I respect your opinion, dadascot, always have. But what I mean by the "real" Alice is that, and I am quoting Alice, he use to pretend if the songs would fit his character. In other words, would his character sing these songs. I could imagine his character singing from those albums. This album is Vincent Furnier and company singing covers. He sure gave the album a "in character" name and has Christopher Lee narrating at one part, original songs, a few original songs that are not very good, but where is Alice? Now, that's also very cool if it is Vincent but I just don't care if it's covers and done basically like the original, which were better from the original artists. Cooper, when he performed covers originally, he made them his own. An artist like him shouldn't have to reach back with a band consisting of Johnny Depp and perform oldies but goodies, I could see that at some bar. One thing is that his voice does sound good, but not enough to save these uninteresting covers.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:15 pm

Just listening to I'm A Boy, like it very much and definitely one of the stronger cover tracks.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:38 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:Just listening to I'm A Boy, like it very much and definitely one of the stronger cover tracks.

One of the more fun ideas for a cover song. A boy with a girls name singing a song about being a boy.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:44 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote:Just listening to I'm A Boy, like it very much and definitely one of the stronger cover tracks.

One of the more fun ideas for a cover song. A boy with a girls name singing a song about being a boy.
With the lyrics suitably adjusted ;-)
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:50 pm

From pitkin88:
"A boy with a girls name singing a song about being a boy."

Alice also performed it in 1994 at a Pete Townshend tribute concert.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:50 pm

According to Spotify's 10 tracks they listed the streaming for, the top track is I Got A Line On You closely followed by School's Out. The bottom track is suprisingly ( or not as Alice is not featured on lead vocal ) the major coop with Come And Get It.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:42 am

evil syd wrote:
killer wolf wrote:
who's Vincent?
I guess you're kidding, right? :yawn:
Well, I will still tell ya anyway, Vincent Damon Furnier ----> :alice:
i guess you're just trying to be clever or show off or something, cos that's not what he goes be. especially not from you.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\