Thoughts on the new album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Thoughts on the new album

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Me and my mate have been big alice cooper fans for years. We had a whole evening planned around the albums release and subsequent listening party.
The opening track supplied by Christopher Lee was a decent intro that unfortunately doesn't really fit the album and only seems to point to an album which is yet to be released.
The second new track (or first depending on how generous you want to be) raise the dead is good stab at some dirty rock and roll which is more in the vein of the early band, not a stunning track but definitely a promising intro which had my optimism high.
Unfortunately the rest of the album is just one long slide down. The only word i can say is pointless. Clearly they had fun doing it, and that's great. but i have fun jamming with my mates to covers, doesn't mean i release them and charge a tenner for them.
My Generation is so similar to its original its painful. Jeepster, Come and get it etc, they all follow the similar lines of standard bar room cover band. a couple of minor changes but overall sticking rigidly to the formula.
I got a line on you has moments of greatness but the dodgy backing vocals really ruin it, (the 80s B-side version will remain the version of choice)
Whole Lotta love is never my favorite but then when you add brian johnson "singing" into the mix, your just left wondering why? (the less said about his cat-a-walling on schools out/another brick the better)
Manic Depression was never a great jimi track anyway and then when you just cover it pretty much note for note your on a hiding to nothing.
Itchycoo park seemed bland then all of a sudden there is the campest little interjection from alice that just doesn't work.
Aside from the 3 new tracks the album feels like a record company cash grab who desperately runs around their roster finding people who are willing to do straight up covers of some legendary band. ( i know its a project he wanted to do btw, i know its not a record company thing)
The last track (dead drunk friends) is another new song and i like it allot. It almost feels like if you spit polish the production to within an inch of its life it could fit on billion dollar babies. The only thing i felt it lacked was a killer guitar solo.
Johnny depp is a very bland guitarist who has no flair or style. This definitely hurts the overall feel of the album. There are smatterings of other musicians etc but the influence is few and far between.
Alice seems in fine voice, which definitely works in its favor, i just wish it was on more inspired material.
The production, although meaty is rather muddy and filled with allot of noise. i know this was intentional to get that garage band vibe but i felt from bob ezrin it was wasted talent.

Maybe i would have been fonder of the album if it was a free bonus disc with a proper new album. (which hopefully now this mess is done with we can get on with his next opus)
As an example The latest powerwolf album gives away a bonus cd of heavy metal covers which does exactly what this does but as a bonus disc! (and recorded in half the time presumably)

So overall, bland and uninspired covers with some promising new material.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:30 pm

On a side note, nice to see Mike Bruce get a mention in the thank you list.....I presume that's Michael Bruce from the original band ?

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:20 pm

I made a poll so that everyone can place their review of the album there. It has a 1-10 scale. have fun!
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:05 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:On a side note, nice to see Mike Bruce get a mention in the thank you list.....I presume that's Michael Bruce from the original band ?
I'm sure it's thee Michael Bruce. I've always said Cooper/ Bruce was the Lennon/ McCartney of '70's hard rock.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:35 am

I actually like this clip more than the song.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicb ... ice-cooper

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:50 am

pitkin88 wrote:I actually like this clip more than the song.

Very good impression and nice clip.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:52 am

Here's two, less than impressed, reviews (with 'nail on head' quotes):-

http://goo.gl/cZFfh7

.... airless, quantitized to a fault...... less like polished chrome than a CGI algorithm for polished chrome.

http://goo.gl/s8eY9z

Rather than sucking blood, these vampires suck the air out of most every classic number they cover, subjecting them to fierce, hard-rocking sonic assaults that may showcase musical agility but bring little if any musicality to the songs....

It’s about as artless an album as I’ve ever heard... and so devoid of creativity and imagination much less restraint– maybe because everyone is way too busy playing and singing their asses off to even think for a second – that any sense of homage is flattened by a fleet of speeding steamrollers. History will not be kind to this album, so why not get the process started now?

That last line is even funnier than Classic Rock's "patchier than a Saxon fan's denim jacket" jibe. Oh, and the title of the second review is: 'Dud On Arrival'!

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:43 pm

I think the Pop Dose review has merit. He states a lot of the same issues I have with the album. The first thing I thought is that is sounds too digital and that analog would have been a perfect choice for such a project, but I recognize the impracticality of that.

Unlike the reviewer, I have an easy time sitting back and enjoying it for what it is! And I'm loving it!

I played some short selections of a few tracks for my father (who is 56) and he went out and bought the CD. He's not an Alice Cooper fan, but a fan of 60s/70s rock.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:18 pm

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:09 pm

dadascot wrote:http://renownedforsound.com/index.php/a ... -vampires/

A decent review here
Seems fair to my eyes and ears- strikes me that the album has received criticism from some quarters for being too heavy rock/too loud but what did they expect from Cooper and Perry at least- Aerosmith/Alice Cooper influenced renditions were not likely to be soft metal/pop given that there is a vampire theme in the background. The album won't be to everybody's taste but I reckon quite a number of folks will enjoy it.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:26 pm

... and it's worth reiterating that no album will ever appeal to everyone's tastes.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:32 pm

I received an email last Thursday from my local record store that the album's release date has been pushed back a week. So I haven't heard it yet but I will post my comments when I get the physical copy this Friday. Obviously this probably only concerns a Finnish release date because others here have already bought and listened to it. My expectations aren't sky high but I will probably get some enjoyment from the album.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:30 pm

TeresofBlood wrote:The first thing I thought is that is sounds too digital and that analog would have been a perfect choice for such a project, but I recognize the impracticality of that.
I agree with this completely. It sounds way too digital for the era it's paying homage too.

Tape would have been nice, but you can get an analog vibe recording to digital if you really want to.

And you can record to tape and still not have an analog vibe if you don't want to.

It's more about production and recording choices.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:28 pm

concolz wrote:Here's two, less than impressed, reviews (with 'nail on head' quotes):-

http://goo.gl/cZFfh7

.... airless, quantitized to a fault...... less like polished chrome than a CGI algorithm for polished chrome.

http://goo.gl/s8eY9z

Rather than sucking blood, these vampires suck the air out of most every classic number they cover, subjecting them to fierce, hard-rocking sonic assaults that may showcase musical agility but bring little if any musicality to the songs....

It’s about as artless an album as I’ve ever heard... and so devoid of creativity and imagination much less restraint– maybe because everyone is way too busy playing and singing their asses off to even think for a second – that any sense of homage is flattened by a fleet of speeding steamrollers. History will not be kind to this album, so why not get the process started now?

That last line is even funnier than Classic Rock's "patchier than a Saxon fan's denim jacket" jibe. Oh, and the title of the second review is: 'Dud On Arrival'!

It's hard to argue with these two reviews.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:38 pm

I just hope he has got it out of his system and he can start concentrating on a new album.
The 2+ years (i have lost count now how long this has been in the works) it took to get this album made/released was way to long for the uninspired covers album that presents itself.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Kerrang give the album a good write up and 4/5.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:53 pm

dadascot wrote:Kerrang give the album a good write up and 4/5.
Dutch leading musicmagazine "OOR" also have praises for the cd.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Turd metal mag always gives good reviews.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:42 pm

pitkin88 wrote:

Turd metal mag always gives good reviews.
What a stupid comment

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:27 pm

pitkin88 wrote:I actually like this clip more than the song.

I especially love the part where someone blows a giant bong rip in Johnny's face. Alice seems to be acting a little goofy himself. Contact high? :laugh: