Four Years Later.....Welcome 2 My Nightmare.....revisited.

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Four Years Later.....Welcome 2 My Nightmare.....revisited.

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:59 am

Just four years ago, Alice Cooper released Welcome 2 My Nightmare. When I look on my iPod, and find the songs with the highest "plays"....the entire album is there. "Last Man On Earth" beats all 19,000+ songs on my iPod, with 97 plays. Clearly, i love this song.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Re: Four Years Later.....Welcome 2 My Nightmare.....revisite

Post by Holly Grail » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:55 am

Alice knows the way how to stick a song in your head . "Last Man On Earth" , to me , does exactly that job.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:30 am

Four years!!! Doesn't seem that long. I think it's a great album that would have been a classic if 'ghouls gone wild' had been swapped for 'under the bed'. Still can't help thinking GGW sounds like a song from scooby doo! Caffeine, when hell comes home., last man on earth and I am made of you are Alice classics in my opinion. I personally don't think the rob zombie speech works and don't like disco bloodbath. Overall I would say an Alice 'great' rather than an Alice classic, perhaps on a par with 'gone to hell' which I think it resembles more than the first nightmare.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:30 am

i think i beat that count in the first week i had the album, absolutely adore the song, my 2nd fave Coop track.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:34 am

i think i beat that count in the first week i had the album, absolutely adore the song, my 2nd fave Coop track.
KW
/X\oo/X\

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:45 pm

I guess it has been 4 years since I've listened to w2mn

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:04 pm

dadascot wrote:Caffeine, when hell comes home., last man on earth
Love these songs, perfect choices, but I never listen to the CD. I think it was a lost opportunity.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:51 pm

The first five tracks are excellent; enhancing, and developing, the concept. It begins to falter with the lacklustre Oasis-meets-Glitterband 'Congregation'; RZ's 'contribution' being a complete waste of time. Things pick up again though, with 'Bite'; a classy Stones homage.

Placing the cartoonish 'Bloodbath' (which I like), and 'Ghouls' (which I don't), side by side, was a serious error of judgement; momentum, tension and coherence are all dissipated. After this any concept falls apart, and it becomes just a series of, varyingly good, songs; 'Hell Comes Home' is a stunner.

I still like its all-round eclecticism. ****

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:02 pm

This has been playing nonstop on and off the past 4 years...NEVER get tired of it. Brilliant follow up to Nightmare 1. Best ballad in over 20 years easily...Something to Remember Me By...love the harmony in it.

Ghouls Gone Wild always gets a lot of flack and I personally love it...its a fun little "beach" song that would have been fun live or even a fun music video. Personally I would love to see some zombies in swim trunks come on the stage doing the "swim" or some other hilarious dance.

Congregation...love it!!! What Baby Wants is one of those choruses that is stuck in my head over and over...I Gotta Get Outta here is one of my personal favorites and love the ending...Under the Bed is a genius song with probably one of my all time favorite choruses....."SAVE ME, I CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE, CAUSE ITS HAPPENING AGAIN...I'VE HAD THIS NIGHTMARE BEFORE...AND I KNOW...HOW IT ENDS...HOW IT ENDS!"
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:53 pm

Poor album would have made a good ep.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:24 am

pitkin88 wrote:Poor album would have made a good ep.
Agree with this.

Personally Brutal Planet was the last Great Alice Cooper album for me.
Everything since seems like comic shock that (the on-stage) Alice of the 70/80s woulda have spat on and that Alice of the 90s would maybe have found a bit light lyrically

The Hollywood Vampires album beats everything since BP imo, but thats probably becasue it tried and tested flat out rock songs and I wouldnt mind seeing that tour the USA and UK for a year, but then back to a real strong Cooper album (maybe wi Depp still on guitar cos I think Jack Sparrow meats Alice Cooper is awesome)

"Pick up the bones" wow that was a song that didnt need much more than his voice and words to haunt the hell out of you...."I'll bite your face off" on the other hand. I realise his career is based on not taking himsekf seriously, but I find his stand out stuff has been when when its been at its darkest , so pretty much everything of the 70s Cooper band uring there heavy lifestyle and the following solo album. the sincerity of From the Inside then the dark and more serious Last Temptation and Brutal Planet.

Docwyoming
Trash
Trash

Post by Docwyoming » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:54 am

The thing about this album is that I'm surprised more people haven't called out Alice for claiming that there wasn't already a sequel to WTMN. If anything, W2MN proves that Alice Cooper Goes to Hell was in fact a sequel, seeing as W2MN was nothing but a revamped version of ACGTH, albeit with even worse songs than the original.

To me, the only thing that would have worked was a strong dose of irony: recording a "sequel" to his first solo album with his original band. Seeing as the best songs were those of Neil's and Michaels, what would we have lost out on? Ghouls gone wild? Dick Wagner playing the role of Glen Buxton would have completed the scene, seeing as the already covered for Glen in the past.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:57 am

I'll be honest, this album doesn't quite hold up for me the way I thought it would upon release. There are a couple of very good tracks on it, but on the whole it doesn't feel like a coherent piece of work to me the way a concept album should.

As far as being a sequel to "Welcome To My Nightmare", it's really in name only. It's in nowhere near the same league as the original and completely lacks the creepiness that permeated the first album.

It really would have been better served as a stand alone album with a different name since a sequel to an all-time classic album brings certain expectations that are almost impossible to live up to.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:53 am

I still like the album and listen to most of it. However, in hindsight I feel it would have been a little more solid with trimming some of the middle section out, "Ghouls," "Disco," and "Something to Remember Me By." I think "I'll Bite Your Face Off" and "I Am Made of You" are still GREAT songs though.

One thing I noticed on the last few albums is that there seems to be a tendency to throw as many songs as possible on the album just to fill space (and that's before bonus tracks!) I think some of W2MN suffered from that, at least for my listening experience. I mean there were 14 songs on the core tracklist.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:12 am

I have listened to it maybe once in the last year-I agree with the sentiment that there is a lot of tracks seemingly just thrown into the mix.

Its one of those albums that if I listened to a few tracks I would think this is good stuff (ACGTH, Muscle, Lace and W (just) and Flush TF are similarly pleasing if I am selective)- MB's Hell track the best by far imo. I don't think this album captured the mood of the originaland I don't regard it as the follow up either (ACGTH was that in my view bit it ran out of steam/ideas).

I think the album kept Alice going though in PR terms and sales probably better than preceding albums. I guess Alice had fun making it and there is some good stuff on it for me. I could do without Ghouls or Disco (album would be better imo without them) which belong with Keepin Halloween Alive in a dark corner.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:02 am

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:This has been playing nonstop on and off
:-D
KW
/X\oo/X\

Freeze
Trash
Trash

Post by Freeze » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:20 pm

I still like the album alot , and to me it's easiest the best AC album since "DaDa". As time has passed , I have also accepted the songs I didn't like that much early on , like "Ghouls Gone Wild" and "What Baby Wants". Not excactly classic songs , but I think they work in the context of the album. "Under The Bed" is a song though , that should have been on the regular album. All great stuff imo!

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:02 am

killer wolf wrote:
AlongCameASpider27 wrote:This has been playing nonstop on and off
:-D

Yeah I thought that :clap:

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:25 pm

There's a little bit of us, fans, in all those songs.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:32 am

A great album. But part of the regular rotation now, rather than every week or so a year or so ago.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...