Four Years Later.....Welcome 2 My Nightmare.....revisited.

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Four Years Later.....Welcome 2 My Nightmare.....revisite

Post by patrick » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:43 am

to me too this is a good album, very accessible . >I had some friends listen to it and, Alice fan or not, most of the songs where ok to them.
The Rob Zombie part breaks the ryhtm imo in the Congregation, but further more no complaints ;)
Alice still strong voiced and fine guitar work on I am made of you, ao.
hard to believe four years have gone by already !
you really wouldn't understand..

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:03 am

when hell comes home is one of Alice Cooper best songs ever.

phiit
Trash
Trash

Post by phiit » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:49 am

Already been 4 years :( Still listen to this not daily but weekly. Very strong album. I personally dig Ghouls and the middle part "come on and play, what do you say" always gives chills :)

As everyone else I agree Under The Bed should've been on the album, one of the best AC songs after Hey Stoopid era I think.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:44 pm

For my money his output since brutal planet has been patchy at best.
W2MN was a real return to form. It has some truly classic songs on there with I am made of you, Caffeine, The Dunaway train, Last man on earth, When hell comes home, what baby wants, I gotta get outta here is not the last track we deserve but its ok on its own terms. The underture is a wonderful opus which shows how well this material melds with the orchestra.
I love the odd ball disco bloodbath, but i think that's mainly because when john 5 rips into it, He really tears it new one with some blistering guitar solos (something i have felt lacking from modern alice work)
I understand the hate for ghouls but it doesn't bother me much and i wont normally skip it, Something to remember me by is another plodding alice ballad which just retreads the old cliches. BUt again, compared to his recent output its a masterpiece (i still cant even listen to that one off the eyes of alice cooper!).
I think everyone is in agreement on here that under the bed is a stunner and its a shame more in this vein were not put forward, his nonsense about it not fitting is such a bizarre excuse (on my mp3 player it comes after the nightmare returns and fits wonderfully!) i just know its annoyed several people who have brought the wrong version and missed out, much to their annoyance!

The other bonus tracks i felt were poor, fairly decent but out of place live versions (prefer them on a separate CD (keep the album as it should be) a pointless and lifeless cover of one of my fave tunes (i honestly thought he would do this justice) and then a bad situation which was definitely not good. fine as a b-side curiosity but nothing more

would be great to have a new edition of this album with under the bed put into the album and all the bonus material placed onto a separate cd.

Although it isn't a true sequel its a great album which reminds me why he is so good and at least starts to head into the direction of the prior classics.
now if he can really rediscover horror with a killer band and bob at the helm, we may be onto a winner!

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:33 pm

W2MN is a sort of a great album. If you stripped out some of the fluff, it would be stronger, more consistent, and less schizophrenic.

I like all of the songs, though there are a few I would probably skip if I was less patient (Congregation, Disco Bloodbath, Ghouls Gone Wild, Something to Remember Me By). Most rest are classics in my mind (Caffeine, Runaway Train, LMOE, I'll Bite your Face off, When Hell Comes Home, and I Am Made of You).

My problem with the album is that it is a rather unwieldy listen. My ears are exhausted by the end of the 14 songs. What Baby Wants is really when my ears start to bleed. I'm not a fan of Alice's vocals or the harmonies in general. I also really don't like the key change to the chorus in I Gotta Get Outta Here. I like the song, but when the chorus hits, it just really takes me out of it. I feel they could have come up with a much stronger transition into the chorus. The ending of the song is great, however.

I think the album would feel a bit like the original nightmare if I am Made of You came just before When Hell Comes Home as the "ballad" of the album and if Under the Bed was not excluded.

Overall, I find Hollywood Vampires a much more listenable album. Production and Alice's voice is not offensive to my ears. It flies by with each listen. W2MN feels like a Nightmare that won't end.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:13 am

I love W2MN , gets heavy rotation on all my listening devices . Love every track inc Ghouls and Disco .Probably in my top 5 Alice albums

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:19 pm

If anything, the super slick production I find a little tiring on W2MN. I was initially really impressed by it but I find myself enjoying TEOAC and DD more now.

I Am Made Of You, When Hell Comes Home, Under The Bed, Congregation, Caffeine are all decent tracks. Last Man On Earth is by far and away the best track on there.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:19 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:If anything, the super slick production I find a little tiring on W2MN. I was initially really impressed by it but I find myself enjoying TEOAC and DD more now.

I Am Made Of You, When Hell Comes Home, Under The Bed, Congregation, Caffeine are all decent tracks. Last Man On Earth is by far and away the best track on there.

I Am Made Of You is ruined by that stupid effect. GGW and Disco Bloodbath are two of his worst recorded songs. There are way to many odd choices on the album. Vince Gill, Kesha ( seems like desperation to appeal to another audience ) and Rob Zombie adds nothing.

The whole idea " what if Steven has another nightmare " would have been jettisoned by the Alice of old. In truth it was never going to work.

The best songs are the three band co writes with Neal's I'll Bite Your Face Off being the stand out with Michael's When Hell Comes Home a close second. Under The Bed should have been on there and Flatline is brilliant and takes us back to Da Da.

As some have pointed out the album is too long and would play better with considerable pruining.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:21 am

From pitkin88:
"The best songs are the three band co writes with Neal's I'll Bite Your Face Off being the stand out with Michael's When Hell Comes Home a close second."

As I think has been explained before, they were not "co writes" - at least not in the traditional sense. They were based on different songs which already existed. The song Neal wrote was called "Evil Voodoo Moon" which became the basis of "I'll Bite Your Face Off", although they are not particularly similar.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:27 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:
"The best songs are the three band co writes with Neal's I'll Bite Your Face Off being the stand out with Michael's When Hell Comes Home a close second."

As I think has been explained before, they were not "co writes" - at least not in the traditional sense. They were based on different songs which already existed. The song Neal wrote was called "Evil Voodoo Moon" which became the basis of "I'll Bite Your Face Off", although they are not particularly similar.
To be fair Michael's original version of "When Hell Comes Home" is almost exactly the same musically, although with completely different title and lyrics.
As to Neal's song yes, from what I can remember they just took one riff from the original and built a completely new song around it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:54 pm

From Si:
"To be fair Michael's original version of "When Hell Comes Home" is almost exactly the same musically, although with completely different title and lyrics."

Yes, that's true but it still wasn't a 'co - write' in the traditional sense though.

>As to Neal's song yes, from what I can remember they just took one riff from the original and built a completely new song around it.

Exactly.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:55 pm

I knew you would have a problem with however I put it. Songs they brought to the table? What is your definition Amuk?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:23 pm

From pitkin88:
"I knew you would have a problem with however I put it."

No, that's not true but i did think you could have worded it better, as "co writes" implies a different process. If you had said they were jointly credited or explained how at least two of those songs came about, that would have been more accurate. There wasn't anything more to my reply than that.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:28 pm

pitkin88 wrote: I Am Made Of You is ruined by that stupid effect.
I actually think the vocal effect works wonderfully on that song. It fits with the narrative and sonic feel. I was certainly shocked when I first heard it but I quickly realised it was a good decision.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:55 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:
pitkin88 wrote: I Am Made Of You is ruined by that stupid effect.
I actually think the vocal effect works wonderfully on that song. It fits with the narrative and sonic feel. I was certainly shocked when I first heard it but I quickly realised it was a good decision.

yeah it's really rock n roll. Bring on some jaw dropping tracks with Kanye.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:22 am

II love the album and my favorite track is "Under The Bed" which should of been a regular track. :teach:
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:18 am

evil syd wrote:II love the album and my favorite track is "Under The Bed" which should of been a regular track. :teach:
I find it interesting how many people think that (and I'm certainly one of them).

From what I remember in some interview it was stated it was the first track written for the album, but dropped to a bonus track later. I seem to remember a reason was stated but can`t remember what it was...

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:13 am

Si wrote:
evil syd wrote:II love the album and my favorite track is "Under The Bed" which should of been a regular track. :teach:
I find it interesting how many people think that (and I'm certainly one of them).

From what I remember in some interview it was stated it was the first track written for the album, but dropped to a bonus track later. I seem to remember a reason was stated but can`t remember what it was...
I think this is covered in the Classic Rock Fan Pack. From memory, it was as simple as "it didn't fit in with the concept". I'll refresh my memory later but I don't entirely agree. The beauty of modern music consumption is that you can essentially add the track to your digital album. I've done this, with it sitting between Caffeine and The Nightmare Returns.

Perhaps the fear was that by including this one, you don't actually get into the nightmare proper until track 6 (Last Man On Earth).
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:20 am

wind_up_toy wrote: I think this is covered in the Classic Rock Fan Pack. From memory, it was as simple as "it didn't fit in with the concept". I'll refresh my memory later but I don't entirely agree.
Yes, that sounds right and I also don`t agree.
wind_up_toy wrote: The beauty of modern music consumption is that you can essentially add the track to your digital album. I've done this, with it sitting between Caffeine and The Nightmare Returns.
I have done almost exactly the same, although I think have it before Caffeine, as he is awake during Under The Bed, but falling asleep in Caffeine.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:28 am

Yes, you're right, that's the order I meant Si.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order