Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: HOLLYWOOD VAMPIRES TRACK LISTING REVEALED

Post by rgallie » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:47 pm

mestreech wrote:The whole album is also on Spotify

Normally love a freebie but what with all proceeds going to charity and Alice being Alice I figured id pay for this. Mind you I assume what ever spotify or any other streaming service payed the artists/company to feature this album go to charity.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:56 pm

Swinger wrote:I actually think it's easier to hear Alice than Mccartney. But maybe that's just me. Simple but kinda fun. I'm not that familiar with the original so I don't really mind the pretty straightforward version.

Really looking forward to getting the album tomorrow.

You have to be joking. Alice is mixed lower than his vocal on No More Love.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:59 pm

concolz wrote:

Busy being starstruck, I expect. It's a truly rotten version. They try to give it the 'classic rock' treatment at first, then when that falls flat it settles for mundane plodding. Jaw-dropping, my arse.

I actually don't mind it. The original was not one of his best. Paul sounds good but Alice....If you didn't know it was HV I doubt you'd pick his vocal out. Be a good question to ask why he was mixed so low.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:15 am

pitkin88 wrote:
concolz wrote:

Busy being starstruck, I expect. It's a truly rotten version. They try to give it the 'classic rock' treatment at first, then when that falls flat it settles for mundane plodding. Jaw-dropping, my arse.

I actually don't mind it. The original was not one of his best. Paul sounds good but Alice....If you didn't know it was HV I doubt you'd pick his vocal out. Be a good question to ask why he was mixed so low.

Possibly so there is a stand out McCartney vocal to boost sales amongst his fans??? Charity effort after all and he probably has the biggest following on this album. Out of all the artists on this McCartney gets a stand out vocal track because...because he's Paul McCartney and Alice was keen for it?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:22 am

You could be right. Shame though.

nurofeg
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by nurofeg » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:58 am

So there is only 2 version of this album: normal version with 14 songs, and japan version with 15 songs (I'm A Boy) ???
Surfing, like surfing. I'm looked and I'm searching.
I've fallen out right into the net!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:34 am

nurofeg wrote:So there is only 2 version of this album: normal version with 14 songs, and japan version with 15 songs (I'm A Boy) ???
As far as we know, at the moment, yes. Just those two tracklists.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:36 am

I for one am glad that Mc Cartney is more than just present on this album : what would be the use of saying that he's involved, if you have to search him somewhere in the background?
after all, as being said, this is not an Alice album, strictly speaking..
you really wouldn't understand..

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:50 am

I'm desperately trying not to listen to the album on spotify until I can get to the shops. I know I'm an old fart but surely there is a huge joy in buying the album, enjoying the art work in the cover and then putting it on your iPod etc! Rather than just downloading? Not the same as the vinyl days but still a joy there. The art work on the last two albums was phenomenal so I'm hoping this one is up there.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:31 am

patrick wrote:I for one am glad that Mc Cartney is more than just present on this album : what would be the use of saying that he's involved, if you have to search him somewhere in the background?
after all, as being said, this is not an Alice album, strictly speaking..

You can hear Brian Johnson and Alice no problem so why not Alice and Paul? He might as well be shaking a tambourine.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:24 am

I've just listened to all the remaining 'unreleased' (up to now) tracks, on some 'dodgy'(which is why I won't provide a link!) site.

'One' and 'Five To One' have great intros, and then it's 'bash, bludgeon, wallop' again, with the obligatory, pointless, 'classic rawk' guitar solo. 'Jeepster' is aural wallpaper and 'Manic Depression' will have Jimi turning in his grave. 'RTD', like 'DDF', sounds like a double reject from 'W2MN', whilst 'Cold Turkey' manages to reduce a howling, searing original to a bit of bland bluster. It's all overcooked to a cinder.

For me, it's easily the worst thing Alice has been involved in since 'Trash'. Undoubtedly, loads of people will love it though.

nurofeg
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by nurofeg » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:33 am

Si wrote:
nurofeg wrote:So there is only 2 version of this album: normal version with 14 songs, and japan version with 15 songs (I'm A Boy) ???
As far as we know, at the moment, yes. Just those two tracklists.
I can't wait just want to order japan version, but I'm afraid that something better (with more songs) will come out !!! :)
Surfing, like surfing. I'm looked and I'm searching.
I've fallen out right into the net!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:30 pm

pitkin88 wrote:You can hear Brian Johnson and Alice no problem so why not Alice and Paul? He might as well be shaking a tambourine.
I'm almost certain I heard Alice laugh at the end.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Rob
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rob » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Just arrived in the post and listening to it now , would liked to of seen some pictures included in the booklet
:/
It must be true A_Michael said so

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:38 pm

Well mine will be in the mail when I get off work, but listening to some of the tracks I hadn't heard, I have to say I love this album! Raise the Dead and its chorus is one of the most catchy things I've heard in awhile. Love that we were blessed to have the late Sir Christopher Lee record his very last performance reading something that is near and dear to his heart. The last lines "Listen to them, children of the night, what music they make" as it segues into RTD, is just a perfect start to the album....
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:58 pm

I gave the album a listen and overall, I enjoyed it very much. I think the album as a whole adds up to a lot more than the individual tracks. This is mixed bag lost classics, b-sides, forgotten by a world of music-on-demand. Alice and Joe Perry said in an interview that "a lot of bands today don't know the Doors or Jimi Hendrix," and while it might be conjecture, his sentiment is correct in that music of the 1960s-70s is not as meaningful to younger generations, with so much "important" music happening in between. Bands of today were inspired for different bands and different music.

For this reason, I see the album as not only a tribute to Alice's dead drunk friends, but a tribute to a gone-by era - the era of the rockstar.

The biggest disappointments on the album for me were Manic Depression and My Generation. A Hendrix medley would have been far more exciting. And My Generation is just pedestrian in its musicianship. HOWEVER, I did find that the style of the song fit much better in the context of the entire album. I was not inclined to skip it.

The biggest surprise on the album is definitely One/Jump into the Fire. I was not terribly aware of Harry Nilsson, but I instantly recognized the melody of One. I didn't realize it was THAT song. I really enjoy that whole track from beginning to end. It's such a diverse vocal performance by Alice, from the intro to the outro.

I also thoroughly enjoy Cold Turkey. I've read a lot of unimpressed reactions to that song, but I think it suits Alice's voice and it suits the subject matter (dead drunk friends) so well. Alice has always had a good "Lennon" voice.

While not every song is perfect, the album has a good groove and serves as a nice re-introduction to some now forgotten tunes. I find this an easier listen than W2MN (which is unwieldy and aurally overwhelming).

The timing for this album could not be more perfect. With Johnny Depp getting major acclaim for Black Mass, he is in higher demand than ever. This could bode well for album's sales (not that we should expect miracles).

It's also a reasonable assumption that the Roxy show will be recorded for mass release (VOD/DVD/Blu-ray) along with a live CD. Seems like a no-brainer!

EDIT: The original tracks also deserve mention. Both are great tracks, better than much of W2MN. I've been listening to My Dead Drunk Friends for weeks, but I can happily say that Raise the Dead has firmly planted itself in my brain. Such an impactful way to kick off an album.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:01 pm

From TeresofBlood:
"For this reason, I see the album as not only a tribute to Alice's dead drunk friends, but a tribute to a gone-by era - the era of the rockstar."

Good point.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:02 am

concolz wrote:I've just listened to all the remaining 'unreleased' (up to now) tracks, on some 'dodgy'(which is why I won't provide a link!) site.

'One' and 'Five To One' have great intros, and then it's 'bash, bludgeon, wallop' again, with the obligatory, pointless, 'classic rawk' guitar solo. 'Jeepster' is aural wallpaper and 'Manic Depression' will have Jimi turning in his grave. 'RTD', like 'DDF', sounds like a double reject from 'W2MN', whilst 'Cold Turkey' manages to reduce a howling, searing original to a bit of bland bluster. It's all overcooked to a cinder.

For me, it's easily the worst thing Alice has been involved in since 'Trash'. Undoubtedly, loads of people will love it though.

Bash, bludgeon wallop sums up a lot of the album. About has passionate and ballsy as a Twisted Sister Christmas album. Overcooked to a cinder not quite but certainly a cheap bottle of bubbly.

francois
Trash
Trash

Post by francois » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:26 am

Hi HV fans!
Hollywood Vampires is number 78 at itunes album chart in France, not so bad!
I really enjoy this album :)

phiit
Trash
Trash

Post by phiit » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:59 pm

This album is great! Just great takes on old songs, true to the originals but still with a new flavor :alice: