HOLLYWOOD VAMPIRES TRACK LISTING REVEALED

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Re: HOLLYWOOD VAMPIRES TRACK LISTING REVEALED

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:46 pm

pitkin88 wrote: You have had a pop at 3 people in this thread for daring to have a different opinion to yourself. Why not just block people instead of trying to convince those whose jaws aren't dropping that you are right and they are wrong?
You giving advice on how to conduct yourself on an internet forum is hilarious stuff.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:06 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
concolz wrote: Alice, and many here, think the guests are jaw-dropping. Fine. Pitkin88, and I, have a different opinion. That should also be fine.
It's pretty impressive to have a Beatle on your record... and one not named Ringo... no matter what you think. The rest of the guests are fairly impressive too.

I'm curious, what guests would impress you?
Well, I've actually not been dismissive of Paul (nor Mr. Lee), I just quibbled with Alice's terminology.

I don't think any current musician would qualify for Alice's wording; those days are, I feel, gone forever. However, I suppose a few 'mavericks' might have made me go "wow; that's certainly different". So, to pick, at random:- Leonard Cohen; Jello Biafra; Patti Smith; Jerry Lee Lewis; Prince; Jayne County. It would be like herding cats for Alice and Bob Ezrin though. LOL! (Failing that, working with a few post-millennium acts.)

You did ask!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:20 pm

From concolz:
"I just quibbled with Alice's terminology."

Really?! Is this the end product and crowning glory of however long it's been that you have been a fan of Alice Cooper and of rock music in general?! Are you really that irritated by a word you read in a press - release?! Is it really that important?! Also, you haven't been just quibbling - RemarkablyInsincere described what you have been doing perfectly.

>I don't think any current musician would qualify for Alice's wording; those days are, I feel, gone forever.

It isn't Alice's fault that he never got the chance to record with one of The Beatles while they were making "Revolver".

>However, I suppose a few 'mavericks' might have made me go "wow; that's certainly different".

We have discussed this before I think. That sentence is more about you than anything else. We are all so sorry that Perry Farrell isn't sufficiently 'hip' by your standards.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:24 pm

I find it interesting that we even debate that Alice might have overstated things in using the term "jawdropping" re list of guests- Alice has been known for overstating issues since the beginning- even recently I heard him talk about a 40 foot monster (10 or 12 foot maybe)- he talks his act up and everything around it up- personally I think the list of guests is impressive- certainly diverse- at least he hasn't recovered Ubangi Stomp
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:05 am

pitkin88 wrote: You have had a pop at 3 people in this thread for daring to have a different opinion to yourself. Why not just block people instead of trying to convince those whose jaws aren't dropping that you are right and they are wrong?
You giving advice on how to conduct yourself on an internet forum is hilarious stuff.

Almost as hilarious at your pants dropping endorsement of old Paul.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:25 pm

I would think that BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN has probably shared the stage with almost EVERY icon in the music business .....( Dylan , Neil Young , Paul Simon , U2 , Prince , REM , Brian Wilson , The Clash , The Who etc )

Not long ago in London , Bruce introduced PAUL McCARTNEY on stage for the encore , by humbly saying ,

"I'VE WAITED 50 YEARS FOR THIS "

And from where I was standing , it looked as if Springsteen's jaw had dropped ......along with the whole of the E STREET BAND .....

It's the only time I've ever seen Springsteen behave like that ....

Love him or hate him , McCARTNEY inhabits a world with a only handful of greats ( SINATRA , ELVIS .... )

( my jaw dropped when I first read his name in connection with ALICE )

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:37 pm

Interesting re Bruce Springsteen Alan1958- now my jaw would have dropped if Alice had got Bruce on the album- especially since I recall a tale Alice used to tell (involving Hollywood Vampires perhaps) where he and others were pouring whiskey into Bruce's boots and telling him to be the first Bruce S and not the next Bob Dylan-anyone remember that tale.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:51 pm

recoop wrote:Interesting re Bruce Springsteen Alan1958- now my jaw would have dropped if Alice had got Bruce on the album- especially since I recall a tale Alice used to tell (involving Hollywood Vampires perhaps) where he and others were pouring whiskey into Bruce's boots and telling him to be the first Bruce S and not the next Bob Dylan-anyone remember that tale.

I do indeed remember the Bruce anecdote ......

I'm sure it's on PRIME CUTS

Bruce with Alice would indeed be jaw-dropping , but .......

Im Not sure how BRUCE reacted to ALICE's " treason" misquote a few years back ......

( Alice criticised the music acts who were campaigning for JOHN KERRY , saying politics and music dont mix , and was " treason against rock & roll " )

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:48 pm

From alan1958:
"Im Not sure how BRUCE reacted to ALICE's " treason" misquote a few years back ......"

It is unlikely that there's a problem. They looked very happy to see each other in 2011 at The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:04 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From alan1958:
"Im Not sure how BRUCE reacted to ALICE's " treason" misquote a few years back ......"

It is unlikely that there's a problem. They looked very happy to see each other in 2011 at The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony.

That's good to know ,

as I've only ever seen one photo of them together at that event , and boy , it looks awkward .....

( but I appreciate that can happen with any photo )

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:44 pm

From alan1958:
"and boy , it looks awkward ....."

I have seen a few and I didn't think so. Having said that, let's hope this thread turns into a big pile of speculation based on a photograph.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:11 pm

The best song Bruce Springsteen ever recorded was "Jersey Girl" which was written by Tom Waits.

Now if there was ever my dream collaboration it would be Alice and Tom Waits.

Waits is genuine. Springsteen not so much.

If I remember it correctly, Springsteen was accused by another true pioneer (and awful person) Phil Spector for stealing the "wall of sound" production method for "Born To Run".

I never understood the appeal of Bruce Springsteen. Alice should have urinated in his boots instead!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:25 pm

Paul McCartney is one of the most influential songwriters and musicians in the history of music.

He and Lennon are the two most important composers of the 20th century and rank right up there with Gershwin. The Beatles influenced nearly every single rock band that came into existence after 1964.

Lennon and McCartney are the pinnacle of rock and roll. Dylan would be the only near equal when it comes to songwriting.

It's speaks volumes that both Dylan and Lennon appreciated Alice as a songwriter. And from what I've heard over the years, Lennon also liked Alice as a person.

Now to have Paul McCartney record with him must be a dream come true for Alice.

I'm one very cynical person and not much impresses me, but I will say that when I heard that Paul was going to be on this album my jaw hit the floor.

Now...I'm hoping he plays on Cold Turkey.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:29 pm

mr.barlow wrote:The best song Bruce Springsteen ever recorded was "Jersey Girl" which was written by Tom Waits.

If I remember it correctly, Springsteen was accused by another true pioneer (and awful person) Phil Spector for stealing the "wall of sound" production method for "Born To Run".

I never understood the appeal of Bruce Springsteen. Alice should have urinated in his boots instead!

"""""Waits is genuine. Springsteen not so much.."""""""""

.... Really ?? I've seen the wonderful Tom Waits a few times ...

. Last time was in EDINBURGH on the Glitter & Doom tour ....All tickets £100 .....

..I was at the merchandise stalls , looking at the extortionate t-shirts , which came in about 50 different styles , and the extortionate lithographs , and the extortionate scribblings and drawings .......

I turned to see one Scotland's biggest songwriters standing beside me .......

He said to me ......

" What price is cool ? "

Touché indeed ....

"""""""""The best song Bruce Springsteen ever recorded was "Jersey Girl" """"""""""

.............. it's great. , but that sounds like a pretty biased view ...

"""""""""If I remember it correctly, Springsteen was accused by another true pioneer (and awful person) Phil Spector for stealing the "wall of sound" production method for "Born To Run". """"""""

Yeah , that'll be the " Spector Wall Of Sound " that Springsteen said during recording that he was trying to emulate. ....

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:37 pm

I have seen a few and I didn't .
Nice to know ...

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:38 pm

let's hope this thread turns into a big pile of speculation based on a photograph.

Spoilsport

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:57 pm

alan1958 wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:The best song Bruce Springsteen ever recorded was "Jersey Girl" which was written by Tom Waits.

"""""Waits is genuine. Springsteen not so much.."""""""""

.... Really ?? I've seen the wonderful Tom Waits a few times ...

. Last time was in EDINBURGH on the Glitter & Doom tour ....All tickets £100 .....

..I was at the merchandise stalls , looking at the extortionate t-shirts , which came in about 50 different styles , and the extortionate lithographs , and the extortionate scribblings and drawings .......

I turned to see one Scotland's biggest songwriters standing beside me .......

He said to me ......

" What price is cool ? "

Touché indeed ....

"""""""""The best song Bruce Springsteen ever recorded was "Jersey Girl" """"""""""

.............. it's great. , but that sounds like a pretty biased view ...

"""""""""If I remember it correctly, Springsteen was accused by another true pioneer (and awful person) Phil Spector for stealing the "wall of sound" production method for "Born To Run". """"""""

Yeah , that'll be the " Spector Wall Of Sound " that Springsteen said during recording that he was trying to emulate. ....

The price of cool is in the wallet of the beholder :)

I have no problem with any artist selling anything they wish to sell as the market will dictate the price and demand.

For instance, s typical Tom Waits fan has more disposable income than that of a Quiet Riot fan. They are willing to pay a higher price to be "cool". The same goes for McCartney, Elton and a lot of top tier acts.

I'm sure Bruce Springsteen merchandise is also sold at a high-markup as his fan base falls in a more affluent demographic.

One has to remember--the music business is a business--it's all about marketing and knowing your audience--and how much you can charge them. Artists today make most of their income from live shows and merchandise. Those that have fans that can afford to pay more--on an overall basis--are charged more. The prices are simply reflective of the market.

Alice's pricing is pretty fair and is reflective of his fan base.

But again--if tom Waits can sell a lithogrpah for $500.00 than all power to him. I'm sure he'll be doodling all day long to make some more.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:46 am

My thoughts on the tracks so far:

I Got A Line On You - Pretty good, a nice fast-paced rocker but it could have been a bit rougher I think. It's start out good but I think Perry Ferrells vocals on the chorus makes it sound a bit to slick. Something about it reminds me of Cheap Trick, in a good way.

School's Out/Another Brick in the Wall - It sounds good but it feels kinda pointless. I get that it's probably included as a tribute to Glen and that's nice but it won't ever replace the original recording and it lacks the raw energy that it has live. Great performance by Neal and Dennis though. I don't really mind Brian Johnson.

My Dead Drunk Friends - This is really good IMO. The right type of sleazy and dirty bar song. Love the twisted breakdown with the gang vocal and the ending with the off-sounding piano. Not much more to say.

The little preview of Raise the Dead - Sounds good. Will probably like it.

Other thoughts on the tracklist in general:
Some very common choices (Whole Lotta Love, My Generation) but still a few songs I'm not that familiar with so that's nice. "I'm A Boy" is a good choice for a bonus track, look forward to hearing that eventually. Nice to see Alice credited with harmonica on "Whole Lotta Love", that's at least something new to the song. Noticed that Brian Johnson and Paul Mccartney is credited before Alice on "Whole Lotta Love" and "Come and Get It", wonder if that means that they'll sing the main lead on those tracks?

Edit: Another thought that hit me. I find it interesting that it's these three tracks that they chose to release first. Seem like a way to promote the album without really giving away that much since one is a re-recording of an old Cooper song anyway and one is a new version of a song Alice already covered meaning that only "My Dead Drunk Friends" is truly new, at least to the more hardcore AC fans. Just a thought.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:10 am

Only thing i see thats jaw dropping is johnnie deep is on this uggggggg why cant he and tom cruise and kevin bacon get lost in china lol

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:49 am

James1981 wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:
Crayne deserves everything he gets. He runs his Facebook page like a fascist banning people off it with no warning for daring to have an opinion that isn't exactly the same as his. Right out of the Shiny Dime playbook. It's funny, all of these same people are the first to cry out when something "isn't fair!" yet they can't conduct themselves in a proper manner.
Yeah I had an experience with Crayne on Facebook recently. I asked an innocent question regarding the legalities of his 'Steven Crayne Archive' and he went bat shit crazy and banned me. Still not quite sure why he got so touchy.

RemarkablyInsincere..... I think the best thing to do is simply ignore these people. They're only here to annoy us. I think they get some kind of kick out of it. Kinda sweet really.

One of the reasons I hardly post on here anymore, too many negative/bitter people with a sense of entitlement who feel like Alice should do exactly what they want and ridicule/insult you if your opinion is different to theirs. It's refreshing to see there are still a few out there like you guys who seem to be fans of the music and can still have a respectful and positive discussion. As always I'll keep my opinion of the Album to after I've actually heard it but loving what I've heard so far.
James what you can do is mark certain people as foes that way their posts are ignored by default
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV