WTMN vs. FTI

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

WTMN vs. FTI

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:35 am

Haven't done one of these in a while. Two classics square off. I'll go first. Although I feel WTMN is probably better "overall", I give the nod to FTI. Your turn...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: WTMN vs. FTI

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:05 am

FTI is horrible starting with that turd of a producer.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:48 am

I prefer FTI. I think it's his best album lyrically, some fascinating stories. WTMN is great, but FTI has more substance.

sickthing
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by sickthing » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:59 am

Nightmare for me....FTI is one of the best solo albums lyrically but I prefer the musical style of Nightmare....there are more songs on FTI that I'm not too fond of (Millie & Billie, HYGSMN, Jacknife Johnny and Inmates) than there are on WTMN.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:15 am

both awesome.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Two great albums and two of my favorites. From the Inside is my favorite Alice ever, so I have to go with that one.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:43 pm

Interesting question but impossible comparison for me- Somehow think Welcome could have been even more awesome if stretched to a double album with increased bob ezrin musical input and maybe some ideas akin to ACGTH-going to hell as in Wish you were here- FTI inside is great lyrically for me but musically sometimes and production wise seems too clean/processed- I would like Alice to go back and do FTI with a rockier production- In their present states I would give it just to Welcome but with a rockier sound I think I would be going towards FTI- only way I can answer this. Through the years I have loved Welcome, FTI, Last Temptation, Brutal Planet and have a soft spot for most of ACAS. I like Alice as storyteller/narrator.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:03 pm

I'm a fan of both albums but I may slightly give the edge to From the Inside. I first became a fan of Alice when I was 15 in 1977 when I bought the Alice Cooper Show. By the time '78 rolled around I was huge fan. When From the Inside was released there was a lot of hype surrounding the album & Coop's drying out. Right before the album came out(or possibly shortly after it's release) there was a radio show called Innerview hosted by Jim Ladd & Alice was a guest for the hour show. That show was one of the best interviews I heard to this day. It was all about the album, characters, & his drying out. I wish I still had the cassette of it...Anyway, FTI ended up being my first new release by Alice. I really loved the whole story of the album & seeing him on the Midnight Special & hearing the live broadcast of San Diego 1979. I know there was probably as much hype with WTMN but I wasn't a music fan at the time. I do love Nightmare though

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:46 pm

Are we discussing which is better or which we personally prefer? They're entirely two different things.

If it's the former, I don't think there's any possible way to debate that it's not WTMN by almost every measure.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:57 pm

That's my top two AC albums right there, WTMN being first. FTI is a very underrated album AND a work of genius in my opinion. Probably one of the most 'complete' albums lyrically from Alice.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:41 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:Are we discussing which is better or which we personally prefer? They're entirely two different things.
Sorry. I disagree with this statement. When it comes to opinion music has always been a great divider. Whatever your criteria for what is better musically is still your own opinion. If you judge your listening tastes by a prescribed standard then you not really getting the point of music.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:25 pm

You've missed the point.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:55 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:You've missed the point.
That was Harry Nilsson :laugh:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:46 am

Ezrin v David Foster. Ends right there.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:09 am

Would be interesting to hear how Ezrin would have produced & influenced FTI. Although it was a very slick production, the drums & guitars sound great. Alice was in excellent shape, vocally as well. My dislike was with some of the overblown backing vocals like on "Serious". It is a major label/ artist production for its time, late seventies sound. Still a great album.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:57 pm

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:Would be interesting to hear how Ezrin would have produced & influenced FTI. Although it was a very slick production, the drums & guitars sound great. Alice was in excellent shape, vocally as well. My dislike was with some of the overblown backing vocals like on "Serious". It is a major label/ artist production for its time, late seventies sound. Still a great album.

The backing vocals on the whole album are atrocious especially on Serious and that ba ba ba nonsense on The Quiet Room could have been lifted from Lawrence Welk.The whole album is puke inducing.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:10 am

I have to agree. Although I love this album, the background vocals are a major distraction. They are a product of what was going on at the time. The Quiet Room would have been a much better song without those Ba Ba Ba.. Bad backing vocals. And to be clear--Lawrence Welk was a better musician and arranger than nearly 99% of those involved in rock music--and I'm being serious. I would bet that Ezrin has more in common with Lawrence Welk than he does with most rock arrangers. Lawrence Welk had some of the best musicians to ever walk the earth play in his orchestra. Hey--somebody's got to stick up for the guy!

I would bet that Alice got the idea for the bubbles in the stage show directly from Lawrence Welk who used it as a trademark of his performances. Lawrence Welk and his Champagne Music.

I always felt that "I Wish I Were Born In Beverly Hills" would have been a great song and likely a hit for Elton John. I love Alice's version but I think Elton really would hit it out of the park.

The album for the most part sounds great, although I would have loved to see what Ezrin would have done with it.

I always felt that "Inmates-We're All Crazy" drags on a bit too long but I'm guessing this was done to fill up the album side.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:23 am

Mr. Barlow, good point regarding Elton doing "Beverly H" I could actually hear him doing it! Also with Lawrence Welk, he had incredible musicians on the show. Could be Lawrence's first reference on this site! "Inmates" could have been epic under Ezrin's influence. Alice's voice is great, so is the string section but it somehow falls short. Could have been the album's "Steven" or "Dwight Fry". "Millie & Billy" might have been darker under Ezrin's touch. Rick Neilson's guitar sound is fantastic on "Serious" but, as mentioned, the backing vocals nearly turn it into fluff. All of the female backing vocals on the MOL album were mixed nicely without overkill. Always loved the "Alleluia" vocals at the end of "Muscle"- real cool.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:13 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:You've missed the point.
I'm not sure I have. But I may have misunderstood you. Are you suggesting WTMN is technically better? If that is so then that is debatable. Both albums had rather lavish productions with name producers. Both employed perfectly competent musicians and experienced song writers, indeed some on both albums. WTMN may have had a bigger budget, but spending more money doesn't always mean better results.
WTMN also has sold more than FTI.
Is the material on WTMN stronger than FTI? That's a matter of opinion. (Personally I prefere FTI)
Is the production better? Again it's down to opinion. ( I think they are both over produced, but the production for Serious is like deciding to take up dog fighting, buying the most viscous dog you can find and then removing it's teeth before sending it into the pit)
Is WTMN a better album than FTI? It's a matter of opinion.
For the record I prefer FTI. I like both but think they could have been far better with a more stripped back aproach, cut the ballet bit out of OWB, lose most of the backing vox, sack David Foster, remind Bob Ezrin that he once produced Killer etc... However this is only my opinion and you are welcome to disagree.

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:31 pm

WTMN for me, no doubt.
While disappointed with OWB, there's some great songs on the album.

When FTI came out, at first I was thrilled. Did not know about it before I saw the album in a record store window. The cover suggested classic Alice, no more detective Escargot shit.
After buying and listening to it, I mailed a letter (that's what you did back then) to the fan club and complained.
I remember I said it sounded like a mix of Bee Gees and Earth, Wind & Fire.
Could've been a great album without the ballad and all the chorus.
Have no gods before me, I'm the light !