Alice reference in movie?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Alice reference in movie?

Post by MrD Returns » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:10 pm

We were watching a movie called "November Man" last night on Netflix. It's a spy movie starring Peirce Brosnan. Anyway, one of the characters in the movie was named Alice Fournier. Surely that's not a coincidence. Does anyone have any background on that reference?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h04r2GU98-4
When I die I hope I'm surrounded by burning gas and shattered chrome.

tommycooper
Trash
Trash

Re: Alice reference in movie?

Post by tommycooper » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Can't help with that one, but the reference to movies reminded me that Rob Zombie is to make a film of the last few years of Groucho Marx. Will Alice get more than a passing reference there, I wonder?

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:31 pm

145 views and no one has any insight? Really?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:46 pm

I seem to remember someone mentioning it before, but beyond that I have no idea. Sorry.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:39 pm

My guess would be that whomever wrote the screenplay is a fan of Alice. It's common for writers to often slip in names of family, friends, teachers, their heroes, etc into their work.

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:47 pm

Kinda what I was thinking but was wondering if anyone had any more specific info. Did a cursory search and it seems the November Man is actually a series of books kinda like James Bond. Not sure if this character appears in one of the books or just in the screenplay for the movie though. But like I said, there's almost no chance this is a coincidence even though the spelling of Furnier to Fournier is different.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:14 pm

MrD Returns wrote:even though the spelling of Furnier to Fournier is different.
According to records I once looked up, when the Fournier families arrived in North America (from France) they split up. Half went north towards what was/would be Canada and the other half went west or south (I can`t remember which) and dropped the 'U' from their name, possibly to help the English (as they then were) pronounce it correctly.

Yes, I did look all this up many years ago, as much as an exercise in research as anything else. As an aside, Alice's claim to be distantly related to Lafayette did appear to be true, although, as he says, it is quite a distant relationship.

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:04 pm

Si wrote:
MrD Returns wrote:even though the spelling of Furnier to Fournier is different.
possibly to help the English (as they then were) pronounce it correctly.
All ya'll English tawk funny, can't pernounce nuttin' rite anywayz.

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:48 pm

Here's something else I found that I didn't know about. The character Alice Ghostley played in the old TV show Mayberry RFD was Alice Cooper. I'm going to guess this was probably coincidence but it could have been an inside joke as well.
She first appeared on the show in season 3 in the episode "The New Housekeeper" it aired in 1970. So our Alice didn't get the name from the show since he had been know as Alice Cooper since 1968. However by 1970 not quite to superstar yet but probably well know enough, especially in LA , that it could have been an inside joke with the writers.
I remember the show. It was a spinoff of the old Andy Griffith Show but I hadn't seen it so long I don't remember much about. Didn't watch it when it was new anyway.
Here's a link to see the episode when Alice Cooper first appears. You have to go minute 5 to see Alice Ghostley introduce herself as Alice Cooper. I thought it was funny.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1hgaa ... shortfilms