Dennis Dunaway book reviews

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Dennis Dunaway book reviews

Post by SickThings » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:51 pm

pitkin88 wrote:I'd like to see one more book focusing on the recordings of the albums with those involved commenting.
The KISS book Behind the Mask was a great example of that. Quotes about every song on every album from band members, managers, engineers, producers, roadies, you name it. There is at least one quote from somebody about every song.

Hunter

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:51 pm

pitkin88 wrote:I'd like to see one more book focusing on the recordings of the albums with those involved commenting.
I agree completely. I'd like one focusing on the original band and solo Alice and bring in everybody that's willing to talk about the writing, recording, etc. of every song ever recorded by Alice (band and solo).

I'd also love for a book by Shep that chronicles all of the business ideas, decisions and directions over the course of the band and solo Alice. To talk about the great successes and the ugly failures and what went behind each one.

For me personally, I would love to hear everything that was involved and where they wanted to go with Escargot. What was the end game should it have succeeded. Was it really about securing Alice a steady show in Las Vegas like Elvis.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:05 pm

All of these unanswered questions, some could compile a book on just those & present it to Neal because it's time for him to get his own book deal. Maybe Dennis could help - after all it appears that he is the only one who kept notes. ;)
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:51 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:All of these unanswered questions, some could compile a book on just those & present it to Neal because it's time for him to get his own book deal. Maybe Dennis could help - after all it appears that he is the only one who kept notes. ;)

I believe Neal kept notes and dates too.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:04 pm

sickthing wrote:It is indeed a great book...The only minor complaint I have is I would have loved more detail about the songs; there is hardly anything about any of the songs on School's Out other than the title track and that's my favourite album.
I agree. To clarify: SO is not my favourite ACG album but I agree that if Dennis had mentioned other songs on the album besides the title track in his book it would have made the book even better.

Ted

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:39 pm

Finally got my copy and reading it slowly...am up to the KILLER album now and really liking the book so far. Like how DD is mentioning people who seemed to be overlooked in the Coop history like Joe Greenberg, Leo Fenn and Cindy Lang, to name a few.
Some good photos, although I would always like more, especially ones like Alice in the towel :laugh: !
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:20 am

I really enjoyed thuis book. He does seem to race through the LTD to MOL period like à tornado, but maybe that's what it felt like at the time. One of the best rock biogs i've read so far. Well doen Dennis!
When is Neal's out? :p

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:51 pm

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say I don't think there will be a book by Neal. What else is there to say? Same stories by yet another person?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:39 am

darkmenace wrote:I'm going to play devil's advocate and say I don't think there will be a book by Neal. What else is there to say? Same stories by yet another person?

I think Neal has been working on one and if so i doubt we would see in the next two years unless he took a completely different angle.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:35 am

pitkin88 wrote: I think Neal has been working on one and if so i doubt we would see in the next two years unless he took a completely different angle.
Exactly. I can't imagine a publisher investing in another book without some angle that could generate sales.

On the other hand Neal could self-publish or go to a small publisher if he really wanted a book to be released.

I don't know the answer to this question, but does Neal bring significantly different attitudes, information, or points of view than ones we've heard from Dennis or Michael?

sickthing
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by sickthing » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:53 am

Babysquid wrote:I really enjoyed thuis book. He does seem to race through the LTD to MOL period like à tornado, but maybe that's what it felt like at the time. One of the best rock biogs i've read so far. Well doen Dennis!
When is Neal's out? :p
In various interviwes prior to the release Dennis had said that his book would tell the story until the group 'made it' in around 1971 - perhaps that is why it feels like he's rushing through the later years. I don't think the book would have been marketable if it omitted their most successful years, and maybe Dennis didn't want to dwell as much on those yaers because he was more interested in telling the story of the early years, so this was a compromise. Just my speculation, of course.

I do feel that if he had gone into more detail about the songs and the stage shows of the Killer-MoL era the book would have felt more 'complete'; true, it would inevitably have repeated some often-told stories, but it would have made it the definitive Alice Cooper book.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:38 am

sickthing wrote: In various interviwes prior to the release Dennis had said that his book would tell the story until the group 'made it' in around 1971 - perhaps that is why it feels like he's rushing through the later years. I don't think the book would have been marketable if it omitted their most successful years, and maybe Dennis didn't want to dwell as much on those yaers because he was more interested in telling the story of the early years, so this was a compromise. Just my speculation, of course.

I do feel that if he had gone into more detail about the songs and the stage shows of the Killer-MoL era the book would have felt more 'complete'; true, it would inevitably have repeated some often-told stories, but it would have made it the definitive Alice Cooper book.
From what I have gathered from the book Dennis probably had a good grasp on what was going on until '71 & after that they became a cog in the R'n'R Machine & most likely everything became a blur at that point so much so that only major events were remembered with clarity. As per the Stampeding Elephant story.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:05 pm

Finished it over the weekend and really liked it, although found parts of it quite bittersweet. He really captures what must of been true disillusionment when things went belly up.
Am glad they are all still friends...always a bummer for me when bands I like split and the bitterness/sniping takes over (The Beatles, Black Sabbath, KISS,THe Ramones etc) from the magic.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:17 pm

Ive got the book- still to read it- I would be surprised if there is total love between band members especially MB/AC
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:38 pm

I really liked it, although, while there can never be enough to satisfy fans, I wish it could have stretched to another fifty pages or so. When addressing the loss of Glen and the worst decline of Alice, he wrote some great lines on the curse of addiction.

I thought he handled the disputes honestly without getting too bitter about it all and it was Interesting to hear his side of the arguments with Michael. I have to agree about Michael's solo album being a great disappointment considering the standard of songwriting he had set himself.

I also agree with previous comments that it's frustrating for School's Out to have been the only song mentioned in the making of the album. Of course he couldn't cover it all (No More Mr Nice Guy doesn't even get talked about in the chapter on the making of Billion Dollar Babies), but a little bit on the creative process behind incredible songs such as Luney Tune and My Stars would have been greatly appreciated.

The book pretty much lived up to my expectations and is a very welcome addition to the info on the band.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:13 pm

VinceRaven wrote:I really liked it, although, while there can never be enough to satisfy fans, I wish it could have stretched to another fifty pages or so. When addressing the loss of Glen and the worst decline of Alice, he wrote some great lines on the curse of addiction.

I thought he handled the disputes honestly without getting too bitter about it all and it was Interesting to hear his side of the arguments with Michael. I have to agree about Michael's solo album being a great disappointment considering the standard of songwriting he had set himself.

I also agree with previous comments that it's frustrating for School's Out to have been the only song mentioned in the making of the album. Of course he couldn't cover it all (No More Mr Nice Guy doesn't even get talked about in the chapter on the making of Billion Dollar Babies), but a little bit on the creative process behind incredible songs such as Luney Tune and My Stars would have been greatly appreciated.

The book pretty much lived up to my expectations and is a very welcome addition to the info on the band.
I would love to know who was behind what when it came to the writing of "My Stars" as I believe it to be the best song of the original band and probably one of the best in the career of Alice himself.

The song is credited to Cooper/Ezrin so I'm guessing Ezrin is responsible for writing all of the music. I'd love to know how much each band member had to do with the creative process and if they had anything to do with the arrangements of their particular parts.

I know Dick Wagner was paid a small sum for his guitar work on the song, a shame since it's probably the greatest recorded guitar work on any Alice Cooper recording next to "Pass The Gun Around", and I would love to know how much input he had into the arrangement of his parts--more specifically were the guitar arrangements the work of Ezrin alone or did he have a hand in it--or did Michael Bruce have anything to do with the writing and arranging of those incredible guitar parts.

Does anyone know if Ezrin ever commented in detail about the writing and production of that song?

sickthing
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by sickthing » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Agreed - would have expected some comments about NMMNG and Elected.

With respect to SO....I think his best bass work is on that album (Gutter Cat, Blue Turk, My Stars)!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:36 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
VinceRaven wrote:I really liked it, although, while there can never be enough to satisfy fans, I wish it could have stretched to another fifty pages or so. When addressing the loss of Glen and the worst decline of Alice, he wrote some great lines on the curse of addiction.

I would love to know who was behind what when it came to the writing of "My Stars" as I believe it to be the best song of the original band and probably one of the best in the career of Alice himself.

The song is credited to Cooper/Ezrin so I'm guessing Ezrin is responsible for writing all of the music. I'd love to know how much each band member had to do with the creative process and if they had anything to do with the arrangements of their particular parts.

I know Dick Wagner was paid a small sum for his guitar work on the song, a shame since it's probably the greatest recorded guitar work on any Alice Cooper recording next to "Pass The Gun Around", and I would love to know how much input he had into the arrangement of his parts--more specifically were the guitar arrangements the work of Ezrin alone or did he have a hand in it--or did Michael Bruce have anything to do with the writing and arranging of those incredible guitar parts.

Does anyone know if Ezrin ever commented in detail about the writing and production of that song?

I think MB played bass on it as Dennis was not around for some reason. Great song.

Voodoo Revolution
Killer
Killer

Post by Voodoo Revolution » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Got the book last week. Only about 70 pages in but so far I've found it to be very well written and witty. It even made me laugh out loud a few times.

I'm looking forward to reading a different point if view on the key events that shaped the group.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:38 pm

pitkin88 wrote:I think MB played bass on it as Dennis was not around for some reason. Great song.
Neal Smith has stated that no one but Dennis played bass on any ACG albums.

Ted