Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Re: Dennis Dunaway book reviews

Post by Headbangers Ball » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:29 pm

Ha ha ha!

The first part of my post is NOT my post - I was purely highlighting another persons post and obviously I'm not very good at that!

My point being, its a book for entertainments sake. Good luck to Dennis with it. Hopefully its a 'one run print' so will make money for everyone in the long run. Nothing wrong with that.

For your information B$B, my reading interests vary far and wide but unfortunately my busy life doesn't allow me to sit on my backside all day and indulge with my nose in a book. And please don't 'assume' what my reading interests may be - all of your suggestions are not to my liking or my taste.
IF YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING, ITS A GOOD DAY!

nephtis
Trash
Trash

Post by nephtis » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:54 pm

Just letting you know that I enjoyed reading this thread on Dennis's book a lot. I was avoiding it until I had read the book myself then I looked through it and found that you managed to voice many of the things I thought of it myself.

Glad there is room on this forum for a discussion like this where opinions can be exchanged.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Headbangers Ball wrote:My point being, its a book for entertainments sake. Good luck to Dennis with it. Hopefully its a 'one run print' so will make money for everyone in the long run. Nothing wrong with that.
The book is already headed into a second printing, according to a post from Dennis.

Hunter

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:28 pm

SickThings wrote:
Headbangers Ball wrote:My point being, its a book for entertainments sake. Good luck to Dennis with it. Hopefully its a 'one run print' so will make money for everyone in the long run. Nothing wrong with that.
The book is already headed into a second printing, according to a post from Dennis.

Hunter

That is good news. Does anyone know how many was in the first print?

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Post by Headbangers Ball » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Well I'm glad I got a copy of the first run!

Seriously though. This kind of thing fades into oblivion or you keep it and its worth a lot of money -(something to put away for your kids when your dead and gone). And yes, it is of interest to US in our day and age, but always something and someone else will come along and take over. Although I do think the Alice Cooper market will always have some value attached to it. There is some very rare and valuable stuff out there. I have a lot of it! But really?? What am I going to do with it? My kids have no interest.

So do you just enjoy this stuff for what it is and then pass it it on? I really don't know?
IF YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING, ITS A GOOD DAY!

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:48 pm

To get back on track in this thread:
I finished the book about a week ago, and it's the best Cooper realted book I've read apart from "Me,Alice" (which I know is a lot of fiction, but very entertaining).

Dennis goes deep into the early years, which is of most interest to me.
Some Things are revealed (I beleive Dennis is trust worthy and remembers more than Alice), like they had chickens on stage before Toronto '69 and why.
I beleive every word in it, unlike other books I've read.

Very interesting read. Well written and hard to leave.
I do miss a bit more rough language for a R&R book. That will improve when Neal puts out a book ! :8):

Go get it, if you haven't already.
Have no gods before me, I'm the light !

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:22 am

Here's the link to Dennis' interview on Access Hollywood.
http://www.accesshollywood.com/dennis-d ... eo_2847737
Very short but that was expected. :unclesam:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:08 am

From TodayMueller:
"like they had chickens on stage before Toronto '69 and why.

Along with Si, I like to think that most people (especially here) already knew that or had worked out that that was the case.

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:55 pm

Andy, I was aware that chickens were onstage before Toronto and I'm sure most people here know that too.
But I had never heard that the reason was Glens guitar sounds.

Anyway, I don't think Dennis wrote his book especially for people on this site.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:10 am

From TodayMueller
>Andy, I was aware that chickens were onstage before Toronto and I'm sure most people here know that too.

In that case, I'm not sure why you mentioned it.

>But I had never heard that the reason was Glens guitar sounds

That has been mentioned in an interview.

>Anyway, I don't think Dennis wrote his book especially for people on this site.

That much is true. Hopefully you have posted your review somewhere where those who don't come here will see it.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:35 pm

It just goes to show the genius of the "tall tale" of the chicken story. It's been almost 50 years and it is still being talked about.

This the exact reason the "tsll tales" were created in the first place.

Here in the USA there is a "tall tale" about our Founding Father George Washington and his chopping down a cherry tree when he was a child. This story is nearly 250 years old and has become a part of American history, folklore and for the most part accepted as truth.

It was a 100% fictional account.

Ladies and gentlemen---again----nearly every famous story about any famous event or person is loaded with embellishment. Some are outright fiction. It's called the art of storytelling.

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Well....
I was just giving, in short, my view on Dennis' book.

Of course I should have expected an attack from Amuk.

I mentioned the chicken thing because, like me, maybe some one else here might just have missed the interview Amuk is referring to.

Obviously, in Amuk's mind, you can't post anything here unless you have heard, seen or read everything ever published and assume everybody else have too...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:22 pm

From TodayMueller:
"Obviously, in Amuk's mind, you can't post anything here unless you have heard, seen or read everything ever published and assume everybody else have too..."

It really is interesting how it doesn't take too long for some people to become somewhat unhinged for no real reason. You need to calm down - I wasn't attacking you or your review.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:54 pm

Pointless off topic posts deleted

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:19 pm

Well you should finish the job, I see a pointless off topic post right above your post.

Regardless, it's great that a truthful account of the ACG history has finally been published. All lies and fabrications dispelled.

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:05 am

Just got Dennis's book yesterday. I have only flicked through a few pages so far, and really enjoyed it. I Will read it all soon, and hope it stays as entertaining as it has been already!
Billion Dollar Boobles!!!

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:Well you should finish the job, I see a pointless off topic post right above your post.

Regardless, it's great that a truthful account of the ACG history has finally been published. All lies and fabrications dispelled.
The only one that still hasn't been dispelled is where the name "Alice Cooper" came from. Some still hold on to the Ouija board story while Alice and now Dennis maintain that it was the first name that popped into his head. Anyone with internet access now knows the truth. Vince was given the name by the Reptilian Illuminati. If it's on the internet then it must be true.
When I die I hope I'm surrounded by burning gas and shattered chrome.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:44 am

Just finished the book. I wanted to savor it rather than rush through it.

It's a fascinating read with many stories/details either not revealed elsewhere or in this kind of detail. I'm thrilled to finally read what feels like a definitive accounting of the actual goings on during the band's heyday, rather than the same old recycled myths that become less believable as time goes on.

I consider this the definitive Alice Cooper book of the original band's years. A fantastic read and a must for any serious Alice Cooper fan.

Kudos to Dennis for this superb accomplishment.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:29 am

I'd like to see one more book focusing on the recordings of the albums with those involved commenting.

sickthing
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by sickthing » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:30 am

It is indeed a great book. I think it's the most reliable account of the band years. I've always felt that the absence of Dennis' style and creativity is one of the biggest problems with the solo years.

The only minor complaint I have is I would have loved more detail about the songs; there is hardly anything about any of the songs on School's Out other than the title track and that's my favourite album.