Dada God

Alice considering re-recording some early 80's material

Post by Gunner » Fri May 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Sounds interesting to me, I loved that era myself:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/alice-co ... 80s-songs/

mr.barlow

Re: Alice considering re-recording some early 80's material

Post by mr.barlow » Fri May 01, 2015 5:16 pm

I think thoe albums are fine just as they were originally released.

"Dada" is a masterpiece in the careers of both Alice and Ezrin and there's no need to re-visit it at all.

I will admit, however, that having Ezrin involved in producing reworkings a few of the songs from that era is tempting.

If they are going to do it here would be my choices on which Ezrin could unleash his genius:

FTF: "Pain" and "Grim Facts"
SF- "Skeltons In The Closet" and "You Look Good In Rags"
ZCS-"Tag You're It" and "No Baloney Homosapiens"
There is much potential in No Baloney in all aspects of the song

"Clones" could be a number one hit today but it would need to be produced by a current hit making producer.

Also, I'd like to have an Ezrin produced "Might As Well Be On Mars" with a guitarist like Steve Hunter playing the leads. I wish Alice had Wagner perform on the original as it's the metal style leads that hurt the original version.

If Alice is really serious about this he should get the fans input. Have them select songs from lesser known albums or songs that suffer from dated production or styles. Hey maybe even get Lady Gaga involved for a remake of "No More Love At Your Convenience".

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri May 01, 2015 5:23 pm

From mr.barlow:
"If Alice is really serious about this he should get the fans input."

This is nothing new. He has been occasionally talking about this since at least around 2006 when I heard him mention it so some fans he was talking to and I think there was a thread here about this quite recently as well.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri May 01, 2015 5:44 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From mr.barlow:

This is nothing new. He has been occasionally talking about this since at least around 2006 when I heard him mention it so some fans he was talking to and I think there was a thread here about this quite recently as well.
I think I remember him mentioning it back as far as the 1990s in a print interview.

I'm not too keen on the idea but this is the first I've heard Alice mention Ezrin being involved in such a project.

I'm a purist who feels that the originals are perfect as they are and as Alice points out they are a snapshot of that time. Plus,each of the albums are pretty good. "Dada" in my opinion is the masterpiece of his career and should NEVER be touched, reworked or recorded--in part or in full.

I must admit, however, that I would love to have Ezrin have his way with some of those songs. So if Alice is actually serious about doing this and having Ezrin produced it then I would be all for it.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:14 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:From mr.barlow:

I think I remember him mentioning it back as far as the 1990s in a print interview.

I'm not too keen on the idea but this is the first I've heard Alice mention Ezrin being involved in such a project.

I'm a purist who feels that the originals are perfect as they are and as Alice points out they are a snapshot of that time. Plus,each of the albums are pretty good. "Dada" in my opinion is the masterpiece of his career and should NEVER be touched, reworked or recorded--in part or in full.

I must admit, however, that I would love to have Ezrin have his way with some of those songs. So if Alice is actually serious about doing this and having Ezrin produced it then I would be all for it.
I agree that DADA is a high point in Alice's career , and is not in need of any tinkering ......

But a re-master job is certainly needed on DADA , but it's not exactly likely ....

I can still remember buying the only copy of the album in a big store in GLASGOW on it's release , and rushing home to play it ...........

It's as great now as it was that day ........

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sat May 02, 2015 1:47 am

I could easily see a 20XX Version of "I Love America."

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sat May 02, 2015 2:21 am

I don't need any "new"old albums. Not even the dreadfull Constrictor.
These are monuments of that time bad or not. Give us some new music.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat May 02, 2015 9:37 am

From mr.barlow:
"So if Alice is actually serious about doing this and having Ezrin produced it then I would be all for it."

Hopefully he is not.

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Sat May 02, 2015 5:19 pm

You cant polish a turd.
When I die I hope I'm surrounded by burning gas and shattered chrome.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat May 02, 2015 7:57 pm

No way is this happening, it makes no sense artistically or commercially. I would be mildly interested in a L&W re-mix, just to see if anything can be salvaged from that polished turd and possibly an expanded "The Alice Cooper Show" but that's about all that needs fixing from the 1975-1983 time frame.

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sun May 03, 2015 8:06 pm

I don't get this "love-in" over Dada. Some good ideas but woefully lacking in any spark, energy or drive and as for the drums .... good grief.
I mean "Dyslexia" ........ oh dear.

It certainly needs a make over to give it some ummph.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Agree with Railwayman, just don't understand why people go mad over DaDa, not a good album to me.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun May 03, 2015 9:52 pm

I can't see this happening at all.

As for Dada.... i'm one of those that adores that album. It's definitely a love or hate record.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun May 03, 2015 10:16 pm

I love Dada!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Railwayman wrote:I don't get this "love-in" over Dada. Some good ideas but woefully lacking in any spark, energy or drive and as for the drums .... good grief.

I love the song. It is deleriously off kilter. I could see Brian Eno remixing it. Ihe only flaw on the album is Fresh Blood which is predictable fare. Alice and funk no thanks.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun May 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Railwayman wrote:Some good ideas but woefully lacking in any spark, energy or drive and as for the drums .... good grief.
It was mostly a budget album just meant to finish up a contract with WB. Drums, of course, were mostly computerized.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Mon May 04, 2015 12:54 am

Dada works remarkably well. It is very haunting, there's an "otherness" quality to the album that is impossible to put into words. The only songs I don't like are Dyslexia (it seems someone was hoping this could be the single off the album) and Fresh Blood, which I don't hate but I agree it's repetitive to the point of annoying. On the other hand, I introduced a friend to Dada and Fresh Blood is one of his favorite songs.

Amazing album. I love the idea of Brian Eno remixing it. It's a cool thought and on some parallel world he'd do it.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon May 04, 2015 2:40 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Railwayman wrote:I don't get this "love-in" over Dada. Some good ideas but woefully lacking in any spark, energy or drive and as for the drums .... good grief.

I love the song. It is deleriously off kilter. I could see Brian Eno remixing it. Ihe only flaw on the album is Fresh Blood which is predictable fare. Alice and funk no thanks.
I agree. "Dyslexia" is one of the best songs on the album. I think it's the most eclectic song of his career. Once again--the "horror" Alice fans predictibly would hate it. They much rather the cerebral fare of "Zombie Dance" and "Ghouls Gone Wild".

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:43 am

I just noticed the title track is credited solely to Bob Ezrin. This is odd as I can can see Ezrin coming up with the music or the idea, but the spoken part!!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon May 04, 2015 2:51 am

Devon wrote:
Railwayman wrote:Some good ideas but woefully lacking in any spark, energy or drive and as for the drums .... good grief.
It was mostly a budget album just meant to finish up
a contract with WB. Drums, of course, were mostly computerized.
"Dada" is proof that you don't need a ton of money to make a great album. There is nothing else in Alice's catalog that comes close to the brilliance of this album. The drums were computerized but it does not take away from the production. Compare them to the wretched and embarrasing drums machine on Constrictor and you tell me which is better.

Dada is Dick Wagner's greatest work. The guitar solo on "Pass The Gun Around" is one of the best guitar solos ever to be recorded. The playing on "Enough's Enough" is also some of Wagner's best.

I will agree that "Fresh B;ood" drags on a bit too long, but I would guess that this was done on purpose to help fill up the side of the album.

At any rate--there are quite a few of musically inclined people on this board. I would love to disect this album track by track, instrument by instrument, the vocals, the production and most importantly--the lyrics. It's a true work of genius at all levels.