Alice solo for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Alice solo for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Post by recoop » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:55 pm

That got you thinking- should be a question mark at end of subject heading. Anyway, I have noticed Alice hanging around at Hall of Fame schmoozing perhaps with Macca and Ringo. Now that Ringo solo had been inducted ( I had to check this!), how long before Alice solo? (no relation to Napoleon Solo)
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice solo for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:09 pm

Will never happen.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:17 pm

Why do you think it won't happen,Pitkin?

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:14 am

It will never happen, because to the members of the Rock Hall, Alice is as "in" as he can be. He's not a McCartney or a Clapton, whose achievements outside of the original group stand on their own. You may disagree, but them's the facts. Alice Cooper the man carried the group as well as himself. Let the arrows fly.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:38 am

Dannorama wrote:It will never happen, because to the members of the Rock Hall, Alice is as "in" as he can be. He's not a McCartney or a Clapton, whose achievements outside of the original group stand on their own. You may disagree, but them's the facts. Alice Cooper the man carried the group as well as himself. Let the arrows fly.
I agree. The general public does not draw a distinction between Alice Cooper the band and Alice Cooper solo. I would bet that upon the group's induction that most people never knew there was an actual original band. I'm sure this is also the case with some members of the HOF committee.

The group's induction was the proper one as it was the original band who were the innovators and who changed the face of music.

Alice then launched his solo career off of that with varying degrees of success. I have always preferred Alice's solo work mainly because of the diveristy he offered over the years, but will be the first to admit that the original band's output is what made him.

Still--there's nothing that comes close to topping Dada.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:56 am

I agree, it's never going to happen in a million years.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:42 am

I don't think it'll happen either, but...

I've pondered the case for a solo induction in my mind and thought a reasonable case could be made, especially considering some of the other acts that are nominated.

1. Album sales. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but album sales alone since WTMN to the present must be very high. Certainly higher than many other acts that are nominated.

2. Hit singles. I think Alice has 6 hit singles as a solo artist. That's not a lot, but still workable.

3. Influence. WTMN was a key album for many artists including Rob Zombie. It opened the door to horror rock theatrics, much more than the group's work. That alone is pretty significant.

4. Uniqueness. When I think of Alice's uneven solo career, what impresses me most is his "story" or concept albums, where his talents really shine. These are very unique contributions. Very few artists have shown such commitment to storytelling as Alice. Hence the obvious works: WTMN, ACGTH, FTI, Dada, TLT, BP, and others.

Like I said, he'll probably never be nominated as a solo artist, but objectively such a thing shouldn't be considered...shocking.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:34 am

He also is not "hip" enough for RS and certainly not a pet of Jann Wnner. The longer the solo career went on, especially in the 70's-80's, their attitude became more condesending to outright dismissive. He might get the occasional part of a page, but that seems to be it.
Of course, I and surely many others, think he should be in there. He certainly has the longevity, the iconic status and some hits to back it up-heck, if RINGO can get in there, why not Coop?
But Ringo was a BEATLE, so can't ever see it happening. But maybe...KISS got in after all.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:47 am

Yes Tuneylune, I think if Ringo can get in, and if his achievements stand on his own solo, then one could make a good case for Alice. Of course, Alice is not an ex Beatle but he makes so many references to Macca these days, one could be forgiven for thinking he was.lol.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:42 pm

It certainly is not impossible but unlikely for several more years at least. For starters, as another user stated the masses consider the original Alice Cooper Group and Alice Cooper the solo artist as one in the same. Second, the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is mostly a sham. There are so many deserving bands still not in such as Deep Purple and others. Consider this. Black Sabbath is in the Hall (and they should be) but Ozzy Osbourne as a solo artist is not.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:41 pm

recoop wrote:Yes Tuneylune, I think if Ringo can get in, and if his achievements stand on his own solo, then one could make a good case for Alice. Of course, Alice is not an ex Beatle but he makes so many references to Macca these days, one could be forgiven for thinking he was.lol.

You could make a case but IMHO it would be redundant and pointless.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:55 pm

One could make a case for the R and R Hall of Fame itself being pointless lol

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:37 pm

recoop wrote:One could make a case for the R and R Hall of Fame itself being pointless lol
I don't think a case needs to be made. It's quite evident to anyone with a brain that the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame is pointless and utterly ridiculous.

The amount of time it took for the original Alice Cooper band to be inducted speaks volumes about the Hall and the people running it. I was hoping that Alice and the band would have lived up to their original subversivness and told them to shove it once they got elected for induction.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Ringo wasn't actually inducted as a solo preformer, he got in by the Award for Musical Excellence which "honors those musicians, producers and others who have spent their careers out of the spotlight working with major artists on various parts of their recording and live careers.". And even then it was because Paul McCartney lobbied for him.

I think if Alice the solo artist will ever be indcuted it will be posthumously like they did with Lou Reed.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:05 pm

That is interesting Swinger re Ringo as I am sure I read that it was for his solo work (but even journos can misreport)- The R and R H of F does seem strange to me in that a lot of rock music was subversive in early 70s and to try and create a respectable structure for awards seems incongruent- however, it may help with artists longevity which might help PR/ticket sales and even a few more downloads or CDs to older punters like me.

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:03 pm

If this did happend im sure he would play 18 or schools out lol