It even happened to Rudy Vallee!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mr.barlow

It even happened to Rudy Vallee!

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:15 am

I was once told a story by someone in the music business about how fame is fleeting. He spoke of how at one time Rudy Vallee was Elvis, The Beatles and Frank Sinatra all wrapped in one. INCREDIBLY successful and VERY popular! Yet, today he is probably more know for his appearance on the original Batman tv series as Lord Marmaduke Ffogg than anything else in his career. Basically, he is forgotten.

This brings me to something that I heard tonight that is very depressing. This board as we all know spends much time arguing about the original band and solo Alice. I've written several times that it's an unfortunate fact that due to the nature of things that no one outside of the hardcore fans know thatthere was an original band. Well...I was wrong. Not only do they not know of the original band--many--(much more than I ever imagined) never heard of Alice Cooper period.

My girlfriend teaches many art courses at a local university and this week she is doing an overview of the career and works of Salvador Dali. She highlighted his work with Alice as she thought the kids could relate and because she is also a fan. WELL....NOT ONE---NOBODY--NOT ONE kid/young adult knew who Alice Cooper was. They had no clue. She showed them pictures of him with Dali and then even went so far as to show a classic picture of him in full make-up--and again--NOT ONE of them recongnized him. She was floored and feeling very old and depressed.

I must admit it also has me feeling the same.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Re: It even happened to Rudy Vallee!

Post by mestreech » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:50 am

Sad indeed but this was to be expected as the youngsters even don't know who Paul mcCartney is/was.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Re: It even happened to Rudy Vallee!

Post by Swinger » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:45 am

While I won't deny that a lot of young people probably doesn't know who Alice is, I've had the opposite happen to me with a music teacher who was convinced I wouldn't know who the Rolling Stones was because of my age. I had to tell him several times that I did indeed know them and even liked their music.

Also, I remember the first time I went to see Alice in 2005 (when I was 15) and we where queuing outside and some people in their 30s-40s went past and asked us what the line was for. Me and my friends said Alice Cooper and their reaction was "Isn't he dead?".

So, occasionally it works both ways.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."