Wish Alice Would Do This!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Wish Alice Would Do This!

Post by concolz » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:24 pm

A few years ago, it seemed to be all the rage for musical acts, 'of a certain vintage', to tour one specific album in its chronological entirety; usually finishing with a smattering of, other, greatest hits.

Of late, I've thought that if Alice is going to keep on playing the 'Dad Rock' card (and a three year-long set of the same old songs, covers, and a greatest hits support slot, is nothing if not 'Dad Rock' writ large) then why not do something a bit more cohesive, and historically fascinating; like a full album, in track order.

Yes, I know there are the usual implications of audience reaction/venue size etc, but isn't a quasi-karaoke covers band going to face the same unknowns? Johnny Depp could still join in; perhaps some of the other ACGs might even be tempted! Well, I can dream!

Anyway, here's Leeches Of Lore (an Albuquerque band, formed 2007) paying homage to ACG, via a one-off, chronological performance of 'LITD', at a Halloween gig last year. I think it's fabulous! (It's probably the closest we'll ever get to Alice doing this anyway!)

https://youtu.be/2dRFl4lj1NE

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Wish Alice Would Do This!

Post by mestreech » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:41 am

A great idea and already discussed here but I still like it. :clap: :clap:

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:39 am

He did play ACGH in it's entirety for, I think, Sirius. Not sure what he thought about it. As for now the same old same old creaks on. Sad for a once innovator.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:20 pm

From pitkin88:
"Not sure what he thought about it."

I don't understand what this means. What would there be to think "about"? With the exception of two songs, those were songs Alice was performing on that tour anyway.

Paul
Killer
Killer

Post by Paul » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:22 pm

Not sure which album Alice would do this for. He doesn't have 1 album which is head and shoulders above all his others.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:43 pm

Paul wrote:Not sure which album Alice would do this for. He doesn't have 1 album which is head and shoulders above all his others.
Well he could do more than one album. Killer and LITD and BDB's are all peaks.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:45 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:
"Not sure what he thought about it."

I don't understand what this means. What would there be to think "about"? With the exception of two songs, those were songs Alice was performing on that tour anyway.
Did he think it was a success? Did he think it could work in a concert setting?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:47 pm

From pitkin88@:
"Did he think it could work in a concert setting?"

Again, those were mainly songs he was already performing on that tour and are mainly songs he has regularly performed since that tour. If you don't understand what that tells you, go and refresh your memory as to what those songs were.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:00 pm

I guess WTMN and B$B would be the obvious choices for this kind of idea.

How about a Wheel of Fortune thing, where a maniacal Calico dressed like Tina Turner's character in Thunderdome does the "Bust a Deal - Face the Wheel" routine with the culmination of choosing Alice's fate (hanging, electric chair, guillotine, lap dance for Michael Bruce etc)

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:06 am

pitkin88 wrote:He did play ACGH in it's entirety for, I think, Sirius. Not sure what he thought about it. As for now the same old same old creaks on. Sad for a once innovator.
He played ACGTH almost in it's entire?? Refresh my memory with more info please.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:27 am

ACGH = Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits. He performed the entire album live on Satellite radio about 10 years ago or so.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:00 am

That threw me off too.

I don't count playing greatest hits as the same concept. Just about everyone does that by accident.

While I'd love to hear an obscure album like Dada live from start to finish I know it'll never happen. In the realm of reality I'd most like to hear B$B.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:20 pm

I would love to see Alice do the entire "The Last Temptation" album from start to finish.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:23 pm

I seem to remember hearing something about the only reason they chose Greatest Hits was because they already played most of it anyway. Don't know it that was the case but it sounds fairly logical.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:41 pm

darkmenace wrote:That threw me off too.

I don't count playing greatest hits as the same concept. Just about everyone does that by accident.

While I'd love to hear an obscure album like Dada live from start to finish I know it'll never happen. In the realm of reality I'd most like to hear B$B.
It is the same concept as the album was played in full. I'm not sure of the running order but it might have been the same as the album. I think Teenage Lament might have been played for the first time ever.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:55 pm

pitkin88 wrote: It is the same concept as the album was played in full. I'm not sure of the running order but it might have been the same as the album. I think Teenage Lament might have been played for the first time ever.
No, it's on 'A Fistful Of Alice' from the Cabo show. I think THAT was the first time.
The radio broadcast was the second and last time I think. :)

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:55 pm

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote: It is the same concept as the album was played in full. I'm not sure of the running order but it might have been the same as the album. I think Teenage Lament might have been played for the first time ever.
No, it's on 'A Fistful Of Alice' from the Cabo show. I think THAT was the first time.
The radio broadcast was the second and last time I think. :)
Wasn't far off. Was it played anywhere after this?

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:16 pm

darkmenace wrote:I don't count playing greatest hits as the same concept. Just about everyone does that by accident.
Exactly.

This is hardly what people mean when they suggest "playing an album in it's entirety."

It's a compilation album.

It would be like saying they've already done this when they released a live album.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:41 pm

Precisely why I haven't taken the time or expense to go see him the last few times he's been around. The show to me has become stale. Even though I enjoy myself immensely when there it's hard for me to justify tickets, travel, hotels and other expenses to see basically the same show he's been doing since 2005. Brutal Planet was the last album that I think he basically built the tour around and that's been 15 years ago.
So tour an entire album or build a show around a new one. Either way is fine with me. But unless your playing in my back yard I probably won't go unless it's a "new" show.
When I die I hope I'm surrounded by burning gas and shattered chrome.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:54 pm

On the surface, The Hollywood Vampires 'project' is obviously something different for Alice, yet its initial core function appears to be backward-looking; rehashing other people's songs. It's hard to envisage much real creativity or innovation. We'll see.

I thought that 'Brutal Planet' really reinvigorated AC as both a composer and performer, with much of that also feeding in to 'Dragontown'. Although, subsequently a bit 'hit and miss', up to 'W2MN' - on record, at least - I believed Alice exhibited a fair amount of musical creativity. Over the last few years though, with the odd exception, I've really started to lose interest. Covers, cruise, Crue, a tour flogged into the ground, karaoke Macca, and an insistence that has-been metal acts are 'still where it's at', whilst ignoring many great new bands.

This time, Alice seems to have painted himself further into the Dad Rock/heritage act corner more than ever before. Generating that 'grab 'em by the throat' greatness of his best work won't be easy from here.