Gloves.

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Gloves.

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:41 pm

Don't recall seeing this, but why does Alice wear gloves on stage?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Gloves.

Post by Si » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:54 pm

I always assumed it was for the extra grip it gives him on Mics and props. Plus the whole leather image thing

Lazarus
Trash
Trash

Post by Lazarus » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:37 am

I see it as an artistic decision. It's a way to make the Alice character a little less vulnerable and a little more threatening.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:31 am

They don't have Callaway printed on side?
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:37 am

From kevinuk81:
"Don't recall seeing this, but why does Alice wear gloves on stage?"

It fits the character and it's also become something of a habit.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:18 am

What about the '100 Club' show or guest appearances? Or are the gloves just for a Alice concert in itself?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:37 am

I'm guessing that the gloves are like the eye make up, and that they put Alice into character, you don't leave finger prints when you wear gloves. The 100 Club was totally different-too hot for a start -Lol.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:00 pm

From kevinuk81:
!What about the '100 Club' show!

He wore them at that show.

> or guest appearances?

It depends. If he's wearing make - up, then almost certainly the gloves go on.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Never realised the 100 Club had glove appearance. Suppose it makes sense that make up and gloves go together.

suziginajackson
Killer
Killer

Post by suziginajackson » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:35 pm

Black leather gloves are a trademark for the killer in Italian Giallo horror thrillers

For people unfamiliar with these particular films, "Giallo" (Italian for "yellow") is a term used to describe a genre of films that originated in Italy in the 1970s. These films, inspired by their literary counterparts (Italian crime pulp novels with bright yellow covers), are best categorized as murder mysteries with a heavy emphasis on style and mood.

After establishing itself with a successful cinematic formula, the Giallo experienced a massive proliferation between 1970 and 1974. Today, only the most famous Giallo films (attributed primarily to Dario Argento and Mario Bava) are recognized by the general film community.

Gialli (the widely accepted plural of Giallo) are typically considered to be fun cinematic experiences and usually fall into the "guilty pleasure" category. They were originally produced for the Italian working class who regarded the cinema as a social event rather than a cultural one. Without the burden of achieving critical acclaim, Gialli producers were free to experiment with these films, which ultimately led to their unique and unmistakable style.

Most Gialli feature multiple suspects, nudity, and the occasional J&B product placement. But are any of these more important than the fact that the killer wears black gloves? Or that the killer's identity remains unknown for most of the film?
People try to put us down
Just because we get around

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:58 pm

From suziginajackson:
"Black leather gloves are a trademark for the killer in Italian Giallo horror thrillers"

He got the idea it from Zorro or The Great Tyrant, I think.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:39 am

I might be wrong but the gloves wasn't really a thing until The Nightmare Returns right? Just briefly looking at photos/videos of previous tours it seems like he mainly wore gloves during the Killer/School's out and From the inside tours before then.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:40 pm

From Swinger:
"I might be wrong but the gloves wasn't really a thing until The Nightmare Returns right?"

Yes - that's correct.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:20 am

Wearing gloves has also been a practice long used by aging movie stars/entertainers to hide their very aged looking hands. A person's hands usually do not age very well and contain wrinkles, age spots, etc.

Alice's aging does not really detract too much from the character--as the character has aged with him. But this could be why he wear gloves. When he is photographed singing on stage the hands become a focal point of the photo and he may feel that the gloves give a much better visual than two wrinkled hands with sprinkled with liver spots!

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:18 am

Wearing gloves gives him more of a sinister look just like in those "Dario Argento" films.
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:08 pm

From evil syd:
"Wearing gloves gives him more of a sinister look just like in those "Dario Argento" films."

I should add that Robert Vaughan in "The Magnificent Seven" (who also influenced the lyrics of "Desperado") and John Astin in "Evil Roy Slade" were probably influences on this as well.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:32 pm

mr.barlow wrote:Wearing gloves has also been a practice long used by aging movie stars/entertainers to hide their very aged looking hands. A person's hands usually do not age very well and contain wrinkles, age spots, etc.

Alice's aging does not really detract too much from the character--as the character has aged with him. But this could be why he wear gloves. When he is photographed singing on stage the hands become a focal point of the photo and he may feel that the gloves give a much better visual than two wrinkled hands with sprinkled with liver spots!

I think the wrinkled turkey neck ( too much Phoenix sun on the golf course ) is more of a focal point being as he almost certainly look at Alice's face first. I think he was wearing some kind of ladies choker or collar for awhile. This achieved two things: first it covered up the wrinkles and second it fit in well with the rest of the androgynous garb. Pretty smart when you think about it.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:02 pm

He was wearing something round his neck on the "Live in Montreux" show

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:55 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Swinger:
"I might be wrong but the gloves wasn't really a thing until The Nightmare Returns right?"

Yes - that's correct.
If you google Alice cooper 1971 pictures , you can see pictures from the eaerly days, with and without gloves..
there is even one picture where Alice has only one glove, on the hand that holds the snake..
you really wouldn't understand..

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:26 pm

patrick wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:From Swinger:

Yes - that's correct.
If you google Alice cooper 1971 pictures , you can see pictures from the eaerly days, with and without gloves..
there is even one picture where Alice has only one glove, on the hand that holds the snake..
I've seen those. I did mention he wore gloves in many pictures from the Killer/School's Out era and the From the Inside era, but he didn't wear gloves always like he has done since The Nightmare Returns.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."