Alice on Eddie Trunk

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Alice on Eddie Trunk

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:09 pm

Alice did an excellent long 40 minute plus interview on Eddie Trunk's SiriusXM show yesterday touching on a lot of different stuff.

Covers disc is in the can and probably out in September and already writing for the next album.

You can listen to it on the On Demand feature of the app/website if you have a subscription.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice on Eddie Trunk

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:29 pm

September!! This has been in the can a loooonnng time.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:09 am

pitkin88 wrote:September!! This has been in the can a loooonnng time.
We can tell you're eagerly awaiting it.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:41 am

We can? What about you?

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:46 am

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:03 am

A rock boat from Florida to The Bahamas ( sigh ).

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:14 am

From pitkin88:
"A rock boat from Florida to The Bahamas ( sigh )."

I think it's worth repeating that the two venues, which Alice will be performing in on the vessel, hold 1,300 and 2,500 respectively (which are generally the sizes of venues Alice regularly performs in, although he only referred to the bigger one), so if we assume these are sold - out (or near enough), I don't quite see what the problem is. The vessel is ultimately a venue like any other, which is more or less the point which Trunk made.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:32 pm

I actually don't have an issue with those cruise things but of course I would llike to see it approached a bit differently.

I have never been on one so I'm going to make some assumptions like the people on the cruise specifically book this cruise because of the acts. If that's the case then I think this would be the opportunity to solicit from the audience, at the time of booking, a list of song requests - say like 3 tunes they would most like to hear. Out of that list, the performer would see which requests are most popular, and then work them into the show. ZPZ did that on their "YCFOSA" tour and it worked out quite well - ahh to hear Billy the Mountain live on stage was a treat.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:I actually don't have an issue with those cruise things but of course I would llike to see it approached a bit differently.

I have never been on one so I'm going to make some assumptions like the people on the cruise specifically book this cruise because of the acts. If that's the case then I think this would be the opportunity to solicit from the audience, at the time of booking, a list of song requests - say like 3 tunes they would most like to hear. Out of that list, the performer would see which requests are most popular, and then work them into the show. ZPZ did that on their "YCFOSA" tour and it worked out quite well - ahh to hear Billy the Mountain live on stage was a treat.
I don`t disagree with the idea, but you have to bare in mind that Zappa fans are a different breed to AC fans. I can`t honestly see there being that many casual FZ fans, not in the way there for Alice. No one is going to go to a ZPZ show just to hear 'Valley Girl' or 'Bobby Brown'.
As seen before (and pointed out before) when a more mainstream act with hit singles in their catalogue does this the majority of the voted set list ends up being what they are playing anyway. Happened when AC did the facebook vote and happened to Metallica last year with their 'on demand' shows.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:53 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:I think this would be the opportunity to solicit from the audience, at the time of booking, a list of song requests - say like 3 tunes they would most like to hear. Out of that list, the performer would see which requests are most popular, and then work them into the show. ZPZ did that on their "YCFOSA" tour and it worked out quite well - ahh to hear Billy the Mountain live on stage was a treat.
If this were a dedicated "Alice Cooper Cruise", that would make a lot more sense. Similar to the KISS Kruise where the band has been known to play some pretty obscure stuff and do some different things with the show that they've never done anywhere else.

It's a shame Alice doesn't appear to have the audience to support such a venture.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:00 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:I think this would be the opportunity to solicit from the audience, at the time of booking, a list of song requests - say like 3 tunes they would most like to hear. Out of that list, the performer would see which requests are most popular, and then work them into the show. ZPZ did that on their "YCFOSA" tour and it worked out quite well - ahh to hear Billy the Mountain live on stage was a treat.
If this were a dedicated "Alice Cooper Cruise", that would make a lot more sense. Similar to the KISS Kruise where the band has been known to play some pretty obscure stuff and do some different things with the show that they've never done anywhere else.

It's a shame Alice doesn't appear to have the audience to support such a venture.
I agree its a shame, but most of us I think just don`t have the money to cover such a thing. I know I don`t.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:16 pm

Si wrote:
RemarkablyInsincere wrote:

I agree its a shame, but most of us I think just don`t have the money to cover such a thing. I know I don`t.

What are the prices? I guess it would be tough getting on the guest list.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:40 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Ignoring your not very subtle sarcasm, I don`t know the exact prices off hand (you could look if you were that interested) but it's a lot, at least to me, add into that transatlantic flights to get there and back plus hotels when not on the ship and it's way out of my price range.
And FYI I almost always *BUY* my tickets same as everyone else. You should stop making assumptions.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:
Ignoring your not very subtle sarcasm, I don`t know the exact prices off hand (you could look if you were that interested) but it's a lot, at least to me, add into that transatlantic flights to get there and back plus hotels when not on the ship and it's way out of my price range.
And FYI I almost always *BUY* my tickets same as everyone else. You should stop making assumptions.

It was a joke Si. Lighten up. I am guessing there are no guest lists on these things though I could be wrong. I am baffled as to why you would have to buy tickets for regular shows though. I wouldn't think it would be hard to get on the guest list. I would assume you have been on guest lists before though I might be wrong. With the info you provide especially that from the artists management I certainly wouldn't begrudge you.

BTW you have aimed a few sarcastic ones at me in the last week or so.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:00 pm

pitkin88 wrote: I would assume you have been on guest lists before though I might be wrong. With the info you provide especially that from the artists management I certainly wouldn't begrudge you.
I am often on the guest list if there is space. Probably more often then not thanks to Toby/Shep/band's generosity.
As to tickets, I don`t feel right about asking for "freebies" all the time. I only do it if I can`t get a decent ticket by other reasonable means, at which point I ask and they kindly do what they can to help me out, which I appreciate immensely, as they don`t HAVE to do it at all.
I also prefer to know what tickets I have (front row etc) which isn`t possible with comp tickets, which could be anywhere in the room.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:00 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:
"A rock boat from Florida to The Bahamas ( sigh )."

I think it's worth repeating that the two venues, which Alice will be performing in on the vessel, hold 1,300 and 2,500 respectively (which are generally the sizes of venues Alice regularly performs in, although he only referred to the bigger one), so if we assume these are sold - out (or near enough), I don't quite see what the problem is. The vessel is ultimately a venue like any other, which is more or less the point which Trunk made.

Well the problem is that the price range is out of range for a lot of fans. IMHO this is not very rock n roll more of a money grab. By the way, who attends these shows? Is it the casual fan or the hardcore? Could rare stuff be played or would that anger the promoters and jeopardize and nautical jaunts? I think Bob said Kiss did so but they have a much bigger fan base. I doubt Alice could take one off requests as everything he does these days is planned and there is no room for the spontaneous. A friend in the know suggested the plan for Alice is to play the same hits through retirement and I tend to agree. Certainly there has been nothing to suggest any different. If WTMN2 wasn't enough to generate any change to the status quo it's hard to imagine what would.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:07 pm

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote: I would assume you have been on guest lists before though I might be wrong. With the info you provide especially that from the artists management I certainly wouldn't begrudge you.
I am often on the guest list if there is space. Probably more often then not thanks to Toby/Shep/band's generosity.
As to tickets, I don`t feel right about asking for "freebies" all the time. I only do it if I can`t get a decent ticket by other reasonable means, at which point I ask and they kindly do what they can to help me out, which I appreciate immensely, as they don`t HAVE to do it at all.
I also prefer to know what tickets I have (front row etc) which isn`t possible with comp tickets, which could be anywhere in the room.

Good to know. I have never been on a guest list. I have seen The Ramones for free a few times and a bunch of bands in Manchester as I was friend withe the thugs ( security ) who did the shows. I was alone in the pit between the band and the crowd at one show which was brilliant but left me almost deaf for about three days. Stupidly I didn't take the advice of wearing ear plugs. I was within touching distance of the band. Brings me to my next question: does the guest list get you an actual seat, assuming there are seats, or do you watch from an alternate vantage point?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:14 pm

pitkin88 wrote: Well the problem is that the price range is out of range for a lot of fans. IMHO this is not very rock n roll more of a money grab. By the way, who attends these shows? Is it the casual fan or the hardcore? Could rare stuff be played or would that anger the promoters and jeopardize and nautical jaunts? I think Bob said Kiss did so but they have a much bigger fan base. I doubt Alice could take one off requests as everything he does these days is planned and there is no room for the spontaneous. A friend in the know suggested the plan for Alice is to play the same hits through retirement and I tend to agree. Certainly there has been nothing to suggest any different. If WTMN2 wasn't enough to generate any change to the status quo it's hard to imagine what would.
I think "money grab" is a little strong. While they will obviously get paid I think that Alice and the band are probably quite looking forward to it as its something different from the endless stream of faceless theaters/arenas.

As to your last point I have to agree, W2MN WAS the perfect launchpad and a wasted opportunity. I don`t think there is a "plan" to just play hits forever, rotating a few lesser known/new songs here and there, but I have a feeling that it may end up that way almost by default.
However in the back of my mind there IS a little voice that says, given the right timing, Alice will do at least one more big production somehow. It's all about timing and the right people/ideas/money to make it happen

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:32 pm

pitkin88 wrote:Brings me to my next question: does the guest list get you an actual seat, assuming there are seats, or do you watch from an alternate vantage point?
The "guest list" is your name on an list/envelope. What that means depends on what you have arranged. It could be tickets and aftershow passes, photo pass, press pass, just aftershow passes or even VIP passes. It all depends on who you are and what is needed/asked for/possible. It depends on so many factors and every night can be different.

If it's tickets I think it depends on the venue and what is still available. Normally in my experience it has been a seat if it's a seated venue. Toby does the best he can for you with what he has available. It's not hard and fast and depends on many things.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:58 pm

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:Brings me to my next question: does the guest list get you an actual seat, assuming there are seats, or do you watch from an alternate vantage point?
The "guest list" is your name on an list/envelope. What that means depends on what you have arranged. It could be tickets and aftershow passes, photo pass, press pass, just aftershow passes or even VIP passes. It all depends on who you are and what is needed/asked for/possible. It depends on so many factors and every night can be different.

If it's tickets I think it depends on the venue and what is still available. Normally in my experience it has been a seat if it's a seated venue. Toby does the best he can for you with what he has available. It's not hard and fast and depends on many things.

Thank you for the explanation.