Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

special forces tour

Post by patrick » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:02 pm

hi all,
just stumbled across this concert from the special forces tour: never seen it before
Alice in fine voice here.
(sorry if this was posted before..)

http://www.youtube.com/
you really wouldn't understand..

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: special forces tour

Post by Si » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:11 pm

Yes, it turned up last year on youtube, and despite what the description says it is NOT "official" in any way.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:35 pm

Maybe I am unlucky but not seeing anything to do with SF tour from that link
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:02 pm

Is it this one?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:07 pm

Yes it was. The link was edited as it is bootleg material.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Have watched first 13 mins- brilliant imo-tight band- even tighter than I recall- thanks for link/relink

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:44 pm

posted my last comment before I realised it was a bootleg lol

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:17 pm

Si wrote:Yes, it turned up last year on youtube, and despite what the description says it is NOT "official" in any way.
That is a tad of an overstatement, WV reached and agreement with Universal Music Group (Grateful Dead and Led Zeppelin not withstanding), so in some sense it is indeed official. Not that that should impede your enjoyment of the concert one bit.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:34 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:
Si wrote:Yes, it turned up last year on youtube, and despite what the description says it is NOT "official" in any way.
That is a tad of an overstatement, WV reached and agreement with Universal Music Group (Grateful Dead and Led Zeppelin not withstanding), so in some sense it is indeed official. Not that that should impede your enjoyment of the concert one bit.
"official" suggests that it is sanctioned and approved by the artists. This is definitely not.
Also Alice wasn`t signed to Universal Music Group in 1981. He was signed to Warner Bros.

They may well legally have the rights to the material (My understanding is they don`t, but whatever) but legal doesn`t mean official. Would you call all the Toronto 69 releases official Releases? Of course you wouldn`t.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:42 am

Si wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:
"official" suggests that it is sanctioned and approved by the artists. This is definitely not.
Also Alice wasn`t signed to Universal Music Group in 1981. He was signed to Warner Bros.

They may well legally have the rights to the material (My understanding is they don`t, but whatever) but legal doesn`t mean official. Would you call all the Toronto 69 releases official Releases? Of course you wouldn`t.

By that token is it then a bootleg if they did have the rights?

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:57 am

Si wrote:Yes it was. The link was edited as it is bootleg material.
sorry for the link , then.
thought it would be "safe" since it mentioned official and there is no (other) official dvd of this tour...(don't want to open the can with arguments against bootlegs again, though :-) ) !

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:20 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Si wrote:

By that token is it then a bootleg if they did have the rights?
I pointed out that the description is missleading at best, as proven by the original posters last post stating they assumed it was official because it said so. Most people would and it's why the word is included in the description, to mislead.

To answer your question it depends on your definition.
From wikipedia (as an example only) "A bootleg recording is an audio or video recording of a performance that was not officially released by the artist or under other legal authority"
Under this definition it is not a bootleg (if they DO have the rights which as I understand they don`t), however it is still not an "official" release as it is there against the wishes of the artist.
Most of us here try to respect the wishes of Alice Cooper (solo and group) which is why I don`t allow links to such things.

I refered to it as a bootleg as my understanding is they actually don`t own the rights.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:20 pm

recoop wrote:Have watched first 13 mins- brilliant imo-tight band- even tighter than I recall- thanks for link/relink
Agree : i think it's great (although I prefer the more common Alice look)
There are some songs on it that were probably rarely brought live ( Generation Landslide, Grim Facts, Pain to name some.. )
It's in black and white and there are almost no props ( except Cold Ethyl) and Alice looks less fragile than on the Strange Case imo.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Apologies if this question has been asked / answered before. I was wondering whether any quality "Special Forces" tour footage exists in colour?

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Well quality is subjective but the only thing that comes to mind would be the Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder that has 3 songs performed live in the studio and the bizarre Paris special which has some alt versions of SF songs along with 18, BDB and SO and then some lip sync performances.

Not pristine quality but watchable. Other than that I think there's audience fragments from the UK portion of the SF tour but not high quality.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:54 pm

Toronto Bob wrote: Not pristine quality but watchable. Other than that I think there's audience fragments from the UK portion of the SF tour but not high quality.
You are thinking of the Hammersmith show which is actually almost the complete show (only missing a couple of minutes at the end when the camera battery ran out) but yes, pretty poor quality.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:11 pm

An audio recording of the Glasgow Apollo gig was made and broadcast by Radio Clyde. It was available in vinyl minus the school's out encore which was then released on a seperate vinyl. Bootleg though. but excellent quality.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:37 pm

dadascot wrote:An audio recording of the Glasgow Apollo gig was made and broadcast by Radio Clyde. It was available in vinyl minus the school's out encore which was then released on a seperate vinyl. Bootleg though. but excellent quality.

I think the full show (audio ) is up on YT. The School's Out encore w solos was pretty boring .

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:04 pm

patrick wrote:
recoop wrote:Have watched first 13 mins- brilliant imo-tight band- even tighter than I recall- thanks for link/relink
Agree : i think it's great (although I prefer the more common Alice look)
There are some songs on it that were probably rarely brought live ( Generation Landslide, Grim Facts, Pain to name some.. )
It's in black and white and there are almost no props ( except Cold Ethyl) and Alice looks less fragile than on the Strange Case imo.

At the time even the most fervent of us had no idea what would happen at the show. He had virtually disappeaered from the press and tv in the UK. Although I loved it is was disappointing that there was really no show. You kept waiting for something to happen and it never did. I think we had the doll, the crutch, the snake and the sword with blood. The crowd loved it still and I think more shows were added.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:23 pm

When I seen him at Glasgow on SF tour 1982, it was the energy and passion that came across- it wasn't as choreographed as 1986 onwards and I liked that- the crowd went more bezerk per capita than any concert I have been at- but if the price we had to pay to get Alice back was a more choreographed show that is fine by me-when I see Alice now I don't look for anything new just glimpses of past devilment- plenty on show on this tour even without stage show