special forces tour

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mr.barlow

Re: special forces tour

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:42 am

Boolteg or not, official or unofficial, color or black and white, all I know is that Special Forces Alice is MUCH scarier than the Bill Crowe Halloween mask!

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:19 am

Thanks for responses to my question. I had seen those three songs Toronto Bob and the Paris special-it was more whether there was any good colour concert footage and from other responses seemingly not which is a huge shame.
As regards the stripped back show being a disappointment-it was my first ever Alice show so it seemed quite visual to me as I had nothing really to compare it to although I had seen the WTMN video.
I remember really enjoying just seeing Alice live: something it seemed we had waited a long time for!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:01 pm

Robbie wrote:
"I was wondering whether any quality "Special Forces" tour footage exists in colour?"

There is one show (from California I think). A small piece was used in the documentary. There was also some footage especially taped for a television show (broadcast in 1982, I think) called "Rock N' Roll - The First Twenty - Five Years" as well. It also likely there would have been footage shot for local news programmes as well.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks for the further information Andy.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:06 pm

Thanks for tip Andy re rock n roll first 25 years programme- colour segment on youtube of Special Forces show right enough- amazing how small the stage was in that gig- colour adds something but Alice looks scarier in black and white somehow- like an old classic horror movie
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:12 am

recoop wrote:Thanks for tip Andy re rock n roll first 25 years programme- colour segment on youtube of Special Forces show right enough- amazing how small the stage was in that gig- colour adds something but Alice looks scarier in black and white somehow- like an old classic horror movie

Great perfomance here. They where really going for it like their lives depended on it. These days that edge is sadly missing. Alice really looked like he had something to prove.

I think this is the club:

http://www.laweekly.com/music/what-happ ... ub-2407238

One thing I did really love from this tour was the tape loop played at the beginning with the weird sounds and helicopter noises. Not sure if this is circulating but it would be nice as a bonus cut somewhere along the line.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:27 am

pitkin88 wrote:[
One thing I did really love from this tour was the tape loop played at the beginning with the weird sounds and helicopter noises. Not sure if this is circulating but it would be nice as a bonus cut somewhere along the line.
Umm.. that's on both the SF album and the live version released on the FBO 12"?
It's the into to 'Who Do You Think We Are'

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:07 am

Si wrote:
I believe the intro to the live shows was a variation of the intro of Who Do You Think We Are? The live loop was accented with additional sounds of gunfire and sounds of war. Also, I think it was extened as if I remember it right the band took the stage as part of this intro.

Duane Hitchings has a FB page so maybe someone could contact him as I believe he wrote that intr for the show and album. He was the main writer for all of the cuts on Special Forces that were not holdover cuts from Flush The Fashion or the cover and faux live track. "You Want It You Got It' which I think was mainly an Erik Scott effort.

I think the original intent was for a complete album of new songs composed mainly with Duane Hitchings but due to various reasons it didn't work out that way.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:27 am

pitkin88 wrote:
recoop wrote:Thanks for tip Andy re rock n roll first 25 years programme- colour segment on youtube of Special Forces show right enough- amazing how small the stage was in that gig- colour adds something but Alice looks scarier in black and white somehow- like an old classic horror movie

Great perfomance here. They where really going for it like their lives depended on it. These days that edge is sadly missing. Alice really looked like he had something to prove.

I think this is the club:

http://www.laweekly.com/music/what-happ ... ub-2407238

To me the Special Forces tour is where Alice really added the edge to the character. Prior to that he was always played it with vulnerability. The Special Forces Alice was unhinged, scary, weird, and totally in control.

He took this approach when he brought back the classic character for The Nightmare Returns. Alice was now totally in control and in complete command of the stage. The presence that he had on that tour was just incredible. It was mesmerizing. It still is.

The only tour where I've ever seen Alice just downright vicious was "Live In The Flesh". I remember being in the photo pit for one of the shows in Philadelphia and making eye contact with Alice who was literally no more than two feet away. It was shocking--it was like he was possessed. He looked like a seriously deranged person. It was very unnerving as he really looked insane. To see so him so deep into the character and show was something that I'll never forget.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:18 am

Si wrote:

What Mister Barlow said.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:21 am

It's great. I noticed this months ago and watched it. Nice version of Guilty with Alice returning to flaunting his bad boy past. Also like the version of Clones.

This show represents the last time Alice was really interesting on stage (to me anyway) instead of the sober professional horror performer that was to come. The unpredictability and genuine weirdness hearkens back to the early 70s days.

I forgot which song, but somebody in the crowd throws something that hits Alice in the face near his eye, which is weird to see. Alice played it like the victim Alice from the early 70s, acknowledging it instead of ignoring it and overacting that it hurt him and makes him wince.

philouze
Trash
Trash

Post by philouze » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:59 am

darkmenace wrote:I forgot which song, but somebody in the crowd throws something that hits Alice in the face near his eye, which is weird to see. Alice played it like the victim Alice from the early 70s, acknowledging it instead of ignoring it and overacting that it hurt him and makes him wince.
Billion Dollar Babies
F.T.L.O.Y.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:05 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Si wrote:

What Mister Barlow said.
Fair enough. Must admit I've never noticed.
So it isn`t the same as the *live* "WDYTWA" on the 12" either?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:52 pm

From mr.barlow:
"It was shocking--it was like he was possessed. He looked like a seriously deranged person. It was very unnerving as he really looked insane."

I agree. I made similar comment in a recent post, I think.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:20 pm

It's the into to 'Who Do You Think We Are'[/quote]

What Mister Barlow said.[/quote]

Fair enough. Must admit I've never noticed.
So it isn`t the same as the *live* "WDYTWA" on the 12" either?[/quote]

Not sure as I don't have access to my records which are in the UK. I think it lasted 10 or 15 minutes and was played before the band came on. Very eerie and atmospheric.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:57 pm

My vinyl is all packed up in storage so I too can't give it a spin but I'm sure it is the same but I sure it was edited for the 12" release. I never personally saw the show but from what I've been told over the years and by seeing some of the available video, it was an extended version of the intro that appears on the album. It was written by Duane Hitchings. The live version was longer than any version on any recording.

It contained the synthesized helicopter sounds that are on the album but also included gunfire and other sounds of the battlefield. It was used to set the tone and so that the band could take the stage. The band was taking the stage under a supposed "fog of war" as the theme of the show was a militaritic one. Alice jumps out of the locker and the "battle" begins now that General Alice is in control of things.

From what I was told over the years is that that whole concept was heavily influenced by the film "Apocalypse Now" and the Alice character was a deranged military commander in the same vein as Colonel Kurtz in the film. The band were his soldiers that he put through the motions.

I think the sparse stage setting and lack of props was a combination of both design and limited funds for the tour.

The character make-up I was told was heavily influenced by the look of Joan Crawford, more specifically that of Faye Dunaway's portrayal in the movie "Mommie Dearest" that was a favorite of Alice's at the time. "That's my pally". (that's a little inside joke for Amuk)

Alice was also very fascinated with the United States Special Forces at the time and this also led to his going with the military theme. I believe the US/Iran hostage crisis played into it as well as Alice wanted to express his American patriotism at a time when the USA was at a low point.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:07 am

mr.barlow wrote:My vinyl is all packed up in storage so I too can't give it a spin but I'm sure it is the same but I sure it was edited for the 12" release. I never personally saw the show but from what I've been told over the years and by seeing some of the available video, it was an extended version of the intro that appears on the album. It was written by Duane Hitchings. The live version was longer than any version on any recording.

It contained the synthesized helicopter sounds that are on the album but also included gunfire and other sounds of the battlefield. It was used to set the tone and so that the band could take the stage. The band was taking the stage under a supposed "fog of war" as the theme of the show was a militaritic one. Alice jumps out of the locker and the "battle" begins now that General Alice is in control of things.

From what I was told over the years is that that whole concept was heavily influenced by the film "Apocalypse Now" and the Alice character was a deranged military commander in the same vein as Colonel Kurtz in the film. The band were his soldiers that he put through the motions.

I think the sparse stage setting and lack of props was a combination of both design and limited funds for the tour.

The character make-up I was told was heavily influenced by the look of Joan Crawford, more specifically that of Faye Dunaway's portrayal in the movie "Mommie Dearest" that was a favorite of Alice's at the time. "That's my pally". (that's a little inside joke for Amuk)

Alice was also very fascinated with the United States Special Forces at the time and this also led to his going with the military theme. I believe the US/Iran hostage crisis played into it as well as Alice wanted to express his American patriotism at a time when the USA was at a low point.

I found a link to the b side of I Love America on Youtube. It is on there but you have the crowd noise over it. It is as you describe it Mr B except for the weird unintelligable voices ( guessing it is Alice ) which really add to the eeriness. It would be great if someone could slow it down or alter so we could know what Alice is saying. Maybe that guy in Canada could have a go.

These shows just annihilate anything Alice is doing now. The whole thing looks frenzied and that band look derranged. Great stuff and a very solid album with only the pointless Generation Landslide tripping it up a bit.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:15 am

pitkin88 wrote: I found a link to the b side of I Love America on Youtube.
The b' sides to 'I Love America' were 'Fresh Blood' and 'Pass The Gun Around'
I assume you mean the b sides of 'For Britain Only'.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:25 am

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote: I found a link to the b side of I Love America on Youtube.
The b' sides to 'I Love America' were 'Fresh Blood' and 'Pass The Gun Around'
I assume you mean the b sides of 'For Britain Only'.[/quote

Yes. Thank you for pointing that out.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:59 am

From what I remember about the intro was that it was a bit longer with strobe lights as the band positioned themselves onstage with more intense bullet, helicopter & explosive sounds(Compared to the intro of WDYTWA). Then complete darkness before the spots come on & AC is there in his glory! :clap:
The whole band was on a turntable as this show was in the "Round"
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...