I Am The Future

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

I Am The Future

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Do we have many fans of this song on here? I personally feel it's right up there with Alice's best work and it's a shame it was never a big hit. I'd certainly be keen to see this one performed live and think it would fit in well!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: I Am The Future

Post by Mr. Skull » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:25 pm

The song made me buy Class of 1984 on VHS so yes I do like the song a lot.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:38 pm

I listened to it again just the other day and was thinking what a great song it is.

Hunter

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:49 am

I always liked that song...my second favorite on the album ...Make that Money is my favorite

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:05 am

A great song on a very underrated and much maligned album. My only complaint is the production of the song is muddy compared to the crispness of the rest of the album. I'm guessing this was due to the fact that it was not produced by Erik Scott who did the rest of the album.

I always wondered if this was also a late addition to the track listing of the album to fill it out for release. I believe this song was recorded prior to the sessions for Zipper. I think this song may have been recorded expressly for the film soundtrack but then later added out of neccessity. This was the album where the "monkey hit the fan" for Alice and there were issues with getting the album finished and released on time to meet the contract requirements for WB.

At any rate--Erik Scott has to be given a lot of credit for getting this album done in the midst of complete chaos, drama and near tragedy.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:59 am

Agreed on all counts, mr. barlow. I love this whole album....

Hunter

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:07 am

Well, I'm going to be the dissenting voice here. IMO, it's a ponderous plod, with an over-stylised, hackneyed arrangement, which completely kills the energetic momentum of the first two tracks stone dead. So completely at odds with the rest of the record, it feels like it's been crow-barred in; there's also a one-two sucker punch re the snail's pace chorus of 'Baloney'.

After that 'ZCS', for me, struggles to gain traction, and despite a valiant attempt at trying to create something quirkily different - that's if Alice actually really knew what he was doing! - the ideas ultimately feel too slight. (Although it's still stratospheres better than the hair-metal horrors to come.)

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:57 am

I bought this cd a couple of years ago and lost it in a house flitting! I found it a couple of months ago and I've not had it off! I bought the album the day it came out and loved it! The lyrics are so bizarre and out there! I agree I am the future sounds different and slightly out of place and I would also assume it was recorded at a different session for the film but I think it is Alice's best vocal on the album.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:00 am

I would like to add that it is another song from that era that would be great live today, I would include 'pass the gun around', 'Scarlet and Sheba' and bringing back 'model citizen'.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:16 am

THink it's a decent track and provides a slight departure from the tone of the rest of ZCS, which makes it interesting for me.
At any rate, much better track than the awful "No Baloney Homosapiens".
"I need everything the world owes me..."

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:05 am

concolz wrote:...which completely kills the energetic momentum of the first two tracks stone dead.
I was listening to Life and Crimes while working in my yard the other day when this track came on. I think hearing it "out of context" (i.e, not as part of the album) makes it a better song. It does stand out like a sore thumb on ZCS, but I like the song.

As for the rest of ZCS, I think all of side 2 is fantastic. Hilarious, clever, and fun.

Hunter

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:50 pm

Never been a fan of the song myself. It sounds totally out of place on ZCS and the lyrics and arrangement are just far too cheesy for me.

There are far better songs on ZCS.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:02 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:Never been a fan of the song myself. It sounds totally out of place on ZCS and the lyrics and arrangement are just far too cheesy for me.

Sorry think it fits right in with the zipper stuff.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:34 pm

A sad day when fluff like this is considered a great song. Awful movie. At this point I think he was just looking for any exposure, The album was the weakest in the 4 of that period.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:58 pm

I totally love that song and the film, Lalo Schifrin is a musical genius, who else could get his score for The Exorcist rejected for being too scary! http://youtu.be/7QTTiezP2f4
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:18 pm

tuneylune wrote:THink it's a decent track and provides a slight departure from the tone of the rest of ZCS, which makes it interesting for me.
At any rate, much better track than the awful "No Baloney Homosapiens".
I believe that "No Baloney" was also a last minute addition to complete the album and to get it out on time. The production of the song itself is much inferior to the rest of the album and sounds like it could be a demo version.

It was during the recording of this album that Alice hit rock bottom. His addiction was wildly out of control and his near demise happened during this time. If I remember it correctly--maybe someone on here can verify this--Dick Wagner was brought in well after the sessions started for the album in order to try and get Alice to work. "Make That Money" was an old 1970's era left-over and I think that "No Baloney" was mainly something Wagner had that he brought to the table--and Alice added lyrics. By this time it was too late. Wagner is quoted as saying some unkind things about the sessions and the album.

From what I heard over the years was that when Alice nearly died during production, the album was not finished and WB was having no more excuses. With the delivery date to WB nearing they filled out the album with the earlier recorded "I Am The Future" and an inferior sounding "No Baloney". It was down to time and money--of which by this time there was none left.

It's quite obvious that those two songs neither fit the theme or the feel of the album, nor to they even sound remotely close to the crisp and clean production of the rest of the album.

At any rate--a lot of what I mention was told to me over the years by various sources. If anyone can confirm or deny/correct anything it could help shed some light on the circustances surrounding this album.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:23 pm

Babysquid wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:Never been a fan of the song myself. It sounds totally out of place on ZCS and the lyrics and arrangement are just far too cheesy for me.

Sorry think it fits right in with the zipper stuff.
Fair enough. Although in my opinion, it's quite clear that the production, mix, style and structure of I Am The Future is worlds apart from the rest of the album. Similar in some ways to how 'He's Back' sticks out like a sore thumb at the end of Constrictor.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:14 pm

pitkin88 wrote:The album was the weakest in the 4 of that period.
Agreed, but there's a certain charm to it.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:59 pm

I like the song and I love y Class of 1984. Lisa Langlois was awesome in it!!!
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:38 am

steven_crayn wrote:I totally love that song and the film, Lalo Schifrin is a musical genius, who else could get his score for The Exorcist rejected for being too scary! http://youtu.be/7QTTiezP2f4
Wow I didn't know that! love Lalo Schifrin!