Pass the Gun around....Wow!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Pass the Gun around....Wow!

Post by evil syd » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:27 am

You know, I can't think of a more serious track than this song. I mean, among all artists. This song is as dramatic and stirring as a song can get. I was just listening to this track and it compelled me to write this thread. Plus, that guitar solo from Dick Wagner is one of the best solos I ever heard and that is includes the guitar at the closing. Damn, you feel like finding Coop and giving him a hug. :/
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Pass the Gun around....Wow!

Post by Babysquid » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:02 am

I've never been a fan of Dick Wagner's playing to be honest, I always found it a little too slick.
But... Dada is the exception (for me) and Pass the Gun Around is as you say Wow. His playing is so intense and that solo is not only one of the best in AC's cannon its one of the best guitar solos ever. Love it to death.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:11 am

"Pass The Gun Around" is by far the best Alice Cooper song ever recorded.

Dada is Alice's masterpiece.

If anyone ever wants to hear the genius of Dick Wagner all they have to do is listen to this album. This was also his masterpiece.

The solo on "Pass The Gun Around" is one of the greatest--if not THE greatest solo ever recorded in the history of rock music.

I think as time goes on this album will finally get the respect it deserves.

philouze
Trash
Trash

Post by philouze » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:50 am

Dick produced this band's album, and even played the solo on their PTGA cover. The band is The Mugshots, and the cover is quite great..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NkZqWe0M3Q
F.T.L.O.Y.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:05 am

mr.barlow wrote:
I think as time goes on this album will finally get the respect it deserves.
I hope so.......It's a shame that Alice doesn't go back and listen to this great album and perform some tracks.
philouze wrote:Dick produced this band's album, and even played the solo on their PTGA cover. The band is The Mugshots, and the cover is quite great..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NkZqWe0M3Q
It's pretty cool but it just doesn't have that emotion captured in Coop's voice, and Dick's solo was just more searing. I'm probably saying the obvious but this a song that can't be covered. :teach:

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:17 am

Dick's playing was always great from the incredible partnership with Steve Hunter on Lou Reed's Rock n Roll Animal and of course their work with Alice, he had it all the power, the technique and the finesse. It's an awful cliche to say that Dick was too slick just because he had that dexterity, his solo on My Stars is full of energy and spirit. His solo on King Of The Silver Screen for me is his best Alice Cooper solo the excitement contained in those 16 bars is spine tingling with his solo on Jackknife Johnny a close second, but his greatest ever solo was on Peter Gabriel's 'Here Comes The Flood' which is truly magical
http://youtu.be/vb7htoJAK7g
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:24 am

steven_crayn wrote:Dick's playing was always great from the incredible partnership with Steve Hunter on Lou Reed's Rock n Roll Animal and of course their work with Alice, he had it all the power, the technique and the finesse. It's an awful cliche to say that Dick was too slick just because he had that dexterity, his solo on My Stars is full of energy and spirit. His solo on King Of The Silver Screen for me is his best Alice Cooper solo the excitement contained in those 16 bars is spine tingling with his solo on Jackknife Johnny a close second, but his greatest ever solo was on Peter Gabriel's 'Here Comes The Flood' which is truly magical
http://youtu.be/vb7htoJAK7g
:blues: I said I find his playing too slick, just like you might find a dessert too sweet. The examples you've given are all parts that I don't particularly like but that's just my opinion. I would never call them crap but I just don't like them. Hey I don't like endive and believe me I've tried cooking it every which way. But Pass the Gun Around is magic.

Paulimo
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Paulimo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Great song from a great, great album which sounds so much better on vinyl.

As for it being the best solo on an Alice record, well, surely that award goes to Steve for his solo on Steven. No?

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:42 pm

Read what I said Paulimo I said for me the best Dick Wagner solo on an Alice album was on King Of The Silver Screen. As for Steve Hunter who played the solo's on Steven they are sensational.

Like Dick some of Steve's best work was on Peter Gabriel's first album Slowburn and Waiting For The Big One are superb then there's Lou Reed's Rock n Roll Animal and that intro he wrote now that is guitar history what a killer team Steve & Dick were RIP Mr Wagner.

Never understood why the likes of babysquid can not appreciate the playing of Hunter and Wagner, their opinion but don't expect me to respect it, as clearly they have no taste in guitar playing if they don't like the playing of Dick and Steve, maybe get their ears waxed or something.
:teach:
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:06 am

steven_crayn wrote:
Never understood why the likes of babysquid can not appreciate the playing of Hunter and Wagner, their opinion but don't expect me to respect it, as clearly they have no taste in guitar playing if they don't like the playing of Dick and Steve, maybe get their ears waxed or something.
It's not that I can't appreciate that they are talented guitarists I just don't like the way they play. As for me having no taste in guitar playing, well I think I do, just not the same as you. :rock:

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:13 pm

Babysquid wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:
It's not that I can't appreciate that they are talented guitarists I just don't like the way they play. As for me having no taste in guitar playing, well I think I do, just not the same as you. :rock:
I understand that musical tastes vary but I would love to know who's playing you consider to be great.

Dick Wagner deserves enormous credit in the success of Alice's solo career. Also, if it were not for him there would have never been Dada--which is by far the greatest of all Alice albums.

I'm looking foward to seeing your list of guitarists who you consider to be better than Hunter and Wagner.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:18 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Babysquid wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:
I understand that musical tastes vary but I would love to know who's playing you consider to be great.

Dick Wagner deserves enormous credit in the success of Alice's solo career. Also, if it were not for him there would have never been Dada--which is by far the greatest of all Alice albums.

I'm looking foward to seeing your list of guitarists who you consider to be better than Hunter and Wagner.
Okay fine. These are a few guitar players I like the sound of
Ollie Halsall
Ron Ashton
Grant Green
Jimmy Page
John McLaughlin
Bernard Butler
Wes Montgomery
Randy California
Pete Cosey
Melvin Ragin
Graham Coxon
Richard Thompson
Joe Perry and Brad Whitford (in the early days)
Michael Karoli
Omar Rodriguez Lopez
Nick Drake
Adrian Utely
John Lennon, George Harrison and Paul McCartney
Keith Richards and Brian Jones
Jeff Beck
Stacy Sutherland
John Squire
John Brion
Pete Townsend
Peter Green
Steve Jones
Steve Marriott
Emil Amos
Alex John Hall
Jimi Hendrix
Dave And Ray Davis
Jorma Kaukonen
Mick Ronson
Emily Kokal and Theresa Wayman
Garland Edwards
John Dieterich

And Mr Barlow I actually agree with everything in your post
Please I'm not trying to start and argument here, it's just that most of the stuff Steve Hunter And Dick Wagner did with Alice leaves me cold. however I do really love Dada so maybe I should do what Steve_crayn said and get my ears waxed! :blues:

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:07 pm

evil syd wrote:You know, I can't think of a more serious track than this song. I mean, among all artists. This song is as dramatic and stirring as a song can get.
Whilst I don't think it's the most 'serious' song ever recorded(!), 'PTGA' is definitely very stark and affecting, although I find 'I Never Cry' slightly more poignant. Considering the various 'states' the main participants were in, it always amazes me how good an album 'Dada' turned out to be. I think of it as an accidental classic.
Babysquid wrote:I've never been a fan of Dick Wagner's playing to be honest, I always found it a little too slick.
Within the confines of Alice Cooper's studio records, I think that DW & SH's playing sounds, mostly, like a wonderfully organic, integral part of the song - enhancing, not detracting from the record. I love their performance on Lou Reed's 'Berlin' - now there is a 'serious' record! - yet think 'Rock N Roll Animal' is one of the worst examples of bloated stadium-rock I've ever heard; the guitars become super slick, bombast machines, totally overwhelming the songs and killing any real emotion stone dead.

Babysquid, I enjoyed reading your list of guitarists, and was delighted you included Melvin Ragin, one of Motown's Funk Brothers. One person I'd like to also mention is Glen Campbell - not only a great singer, but a brilliantly versatile, emotive guitarist.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:24 am

concolz wrote:Whilst I don't think it's the most 'serious' song ever recorded(!), 'PTGA' is definitely very stark and affecting, although I find 'I Never Cry' slightly more poignant. Considering the various 'states' the main participants were in, it always amazes me how good an album 'Dada' turned out to be. I think of it as an accidental classic.
If you think about what was going on in Coop's life at the time and subject matter, it sure is!..... and the rest of your comment is your opinion. I'm cool with that. We all have different ones.

Btw, Tony Iommi is my favorite all time guitarist. :rock:
Dick Wagner was a great guitarist and brilliant songwriter. I had the privilege of meeting him. :8):

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:32 pm

[/quote]

Ollie Halsall
Ron Ashton
Grant Green
Jimmy Page
John McLaughlin
Bernard Butler
Wes Montgomery
Randy California
Pete Cosey
Melvin Ragin
Graham Coxon
Richard Thompson
Michael Karoli
Omar Rodriguez Lopez
Nick Drake
Adrian Utely
Jeff Beck
Stacy Sutherland
John Squire
John Brion
Pete Townsend
Peter Green
Steve Jones
Steve Marriott
Emil Amos
Alex John Hall
Jimi Hendrix
Dave And Ray Davis
Jorma Kaukonen
Mick Ronson
Garland Edwards
John Dieterich

Please I'm not trying to start and argument here, it's just that most of the stuff Steve Hunter And Dick Wagner did with Alice leaves me cold. however I do really love Dada so maybe I should do what Steve_crayn said and get my ears waxed! :blues:[/quote]

You have great musical tastes. I appreciate the fact that you are someone who has an appreciaition for a wide array of musical styles and musicians.

My favorite guitarist is Michael Schenker, followed by Chet Atkins. Wagner and Hunter are in my top 10.

Let Dada sink in and trust me you will come to find the genius of Dick Wagner.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:36 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Ollie Halsall
Ron Ashton
Grant Green
Jimmy Page
John McLaughlin
Bernard Butler
Wes Montgomery
Randy California
Pete Cosey
Melvin Ragin
Graham Coxon
Richard Thompson
Michael Karoli
Omar Rodriguez Lopez
Nick Drake
Adrian Utely
Jeff Beck
Stacy Sutherland
John Squire
John Brion
Pete Townsend
Peter Green
Steve Jones
Steve Marriott
Emil Amos
Alex John Hall
Jimi Hendrix
Dave And Ray Davis
Jorma Kaukonen
Mick Ronson
Garland Edwards
John Dieterich

Please I'm not trying to start and argument here, it's just that most of the stuff Steve Hunter And Dick Wagner did with Alice leaves me cold. however I do really love Dada so maybe I should do what Steve_crayn said and get my ears waxed! :blues:[/quote]

You have great musical tastes. I appreciate the fact that you are someone who has an appreciaition for a wide array of musical styles and musicians.

My favorite guitarist is Michael Schenker, followed by Chet Atkins. Wagner and Hunter are in my top 10.

Let Dada sink in and trust me you will come to find the genius of Dick Wagner.[/quote]

Thank you Mr Barlow.
Btw why is it that whenever I try and put a smiley smiley I always get that one that with the sunglasses? :) omg I think it just worked!

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:13 pm

concolz wrote:
evil syd wrote:You know, I can't think of a more serious track than this song. I mean, among all artists. This song is as dramatic and stirring as a song can get.
Whilst I don't think it's the most 'serious' song ever recorded(!), 'PTGA' is definitely very stark and affecting, although I find 'I Never Cry' slightly more poignant. Considering the various 'states' the main participants were in, it always amazes me how good an album 'Dada' turned out to be. I think of it as an accidental classic.
Within the confines of Alice Cooper's studio records, I think that DW & SH's playing sounds, mostly, like a wonderfully organic, integral part of the song - enhancing, not detracting from the record. I love their performance on Lou Reed's 'Berlin' - now there is a 'serious' record! - yet think 'Rock N Roll Animal' is one of the worst examples of bloated stadium-rock I've ever heard; the guitars become super slick, bombast machines, totally overwhelming the songs and killing any real emotion stone dead.

Babysquid, I enjoyed reading your list of guitarists, and was delighted you included Melvin Ragin, one of Motown's Funk Brothers. One person I'd like to also mention is Glen Campbell - not only a great singer, but a brilliantly versatile, emotive guitarist.
Yeah I agree a bit about I Never Cry, maybe if they'd stripped it down to just Alice and Dick it might have worked better for me. It's certainly one of his more understated ballads.
I also agree with you on Rock n roll animal and have to say that was my introduction to them, however I'll have to dust off my copy of Berlin and give it a spin. I may have been somewhat hasty in some of my remarks on Dick and Steves playing but at the end of the day I'm just not very fond of those first three solo lps. Now I know WTMN is considered a classic but it just doesn't do it for me. However I think Steves solo on Generation Landslide is great and my feeling about Dada should be well known by now.
Nice to meet another " Wah wah" Watson fan. Did you ever get his solo lp? I never did but I love his work with the temptations, undisputed truth and Herbie hancock.
And I missed out the other Glen Campbell from the Misunderstood! Technically a pedal steel player but wth :)

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:06 pm

Have just listened to this, (I don't own DaDa on any format) and don't see what the fuss is about.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:38 am

kevinuk81 wrote:Have just listened to this, (I don't own DaDa on any format) and don't see what the fuss is about.
If you ever do please let me know because the respect that Lp (and song) receives borders on the obsessive if not insane. *brick*
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:49 am

I'm one of the crowd that considers Dada a fantastic album. PTGA is best appreciated in the context of the album and as an amazing and disturbing conclusion to the story.