Pass the Gun around....Wow!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Pass the Gun around....Wow!

Post by Babysquid » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:31 am

kevinuk81 wrote:Have just listened to this, (I don't own DaDa on any format) and don't see what the fuss is about.
That's cool, we all have our own opinions. :)

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:36 am

Honestly, have heard DaDa only once and never liked it, although I never liked FTI or TLT on first time listens either, but I own both of them so could play whenever I liked, got no intention of buying DaDa.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Paul
Killer
Killer

Post by Paul » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:06 pm

I bought Dada on LP when it came out. I didn't even know Alice had a new album out. Publicity was scare for it. I wasn't a great fan of Dada at first either. It's a quirky album that sneaks up on you with repeated listening. The fact that the opening track is very atmospheric might put some people off initially. It did me. Stick at it though as it's a grower. It's up there among my favourite Alice solo albums now.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:51 am

The reason I love this album, and this song in particular is that the eclectic collection of music works as a whole. The atmosphere through-out the album sends shivers up my spine. The quality of the lyrics is tremendous. PTGA is the perfect example where we can feel the despair of the protagonist seep through. And all this while Alice was going through his darkest period.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:48 pm

The thing that sets Dada apart from every other Alice album is that it was written without any specific demographic or audience in mind, namely the 12-20 year olds. There was no concern about trying to appeal to anyone.

The lyrics are by far Alice's best. The production is incredible. It's 31 years later and it still sounds incredibly unique and original. It's a true piece of art.

Shep and Ezrin knew that Alice needed to keep working after his near death and they were right. It had to be a relief to Alice to know he could do an album free of trying to please everyone, or trying to write a hit single. To produce and album with without any outside pressures. This was not an album where Alice was trying to ride the latest musical trend. This album shows everyone how damn good an artist Alice Cooper really is--if there ever is a doubt as to ALice's musical credibility, this one album should put them to rest.

The first lines of lyrics:
"Enough's enough's enough's enough;
"This year's been really really rough"

Think about all that had taken place in Alice's life the year preceeding the recording of Dada.

And the last line of verse lyrics in "Pass The Gun Around":

"I've had so many blackout nights before";
"I don't think I can take it anymore;"

From beginning to end there are so many personal references in the lyrics.

At any rate, the album is not for those looking for more songs like "No More Mr. Nice Guy", "School's Out" or "Halo Of Flies". Also, it's really not for those who love Alice for "Posion", "Hey Stoopid" and the hair metal years.

Dada is Alice's masterpiece as it is Alice at his very best--all while he was dealing with being at the lowest point in his life. It is Alice pushing aside all of the nonsense and I'll go so far and to say also pushing aside the character, to make an album from Alice the person.

I really believe that the album changed his life. I do know this for sure--just one song, "Pass The Gun Around" sure saved mine.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Babysquid wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:
Babysquid wrote:
It's not that I can't appreciate that they are talented guitarists I just don't like the way they play. As for me having no taste in guitar playing, well I think I do, just not the same as you. :rock:
I understand that musical tastes vary but I would love to know who's playing you consider to be great.

Dick Wagner deserves enormous credit in the success of Alice's solo career. Also, if it were not for him there would have never been Dada--which is by far the greatest of all Alice albums.

I'm looking foward to seeing your list of guitarists who you consider to be better than Hunter and Wagner.
Okay fine. These are a few guitar players I like the sound of
Ollie Halsall
Ron Ashton
Grant Green
Jimmy Page
John McLaughlin
Bernard Butler
Wes Montgomery
Randy California
Pete Cosey
Melvin Ragin
Graham Coxon
Richard Thompson
Joe Perry and Brad Whitford (in the early days)
Michael Karoli
Omar Rodriguez Lopez
Nick Drake
Adrian Utely
John Lennon, George Harrison and Paul McCartney
Keith Richards and Brian Jones
Jeff Beck
Stacy Sutherland
John Squire
John Brion
Pete Townsend
Peter Green
Steve Jones
Steve Marriott
Emil Amos
Alex John Hall
Jimi Hendrix
Dave And Ray Davis
Jorma Kaukonen
Mick Ronson
Emily Kokal and Theresa Wayman
Garland Edwards
John Dieterich

And Mr Barlow I actually agree with everything in your post
Please I'm not trying to start and argument here, it's just that most of the stuff Steve Hunter And Dick Wagner did with Alice leaves me cold. however I do really love Dada so maybe I should do what Steve_crayn said and get my ears waxed! :blues:
Maybe you'd care to tell us what solos for example on the Billion Dollar Babies album you don't like and I can tell you if Steve played them or not?
No cheating don't just say you hate them all even if you don't just to save face.

There are some great players in the list of those you do like that I also love but maybe you should give Steve and Dick another listen you are missing out big time.

Peter Gabriel's first solo album is a good place to start, don't tell me you've already heard it and can't stand it?! ::((:
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

andyrushworth
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by andyrushworth » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:12 am

I always hear a connection between BDBs guitar sound and the Roxy Music single All I Want Is You ,possibly because Roxy supported AC at Wembly , and when I heard Slowburn by PG I thought the the circle was complete :) in that Roxy probably paid a little AC tribute with AIWIY possibly heard by PG and reproduced in feel on Slowburn ?

I expect a bit of abuse of Crayn now :yawn:

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:30 pm

Had a listen to Dada in full this weekend for the first time in ages. Aside from Dyslexia and the opening track, this is a really solid album. I Love America is such a fun, great sounding song. I forgot how much I love that one. Also, I love the synth and percussion on Fresh Blood. Sure, it sounds quite dated now but there's some clever song structures and melodies going on in that tune.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:40 pm

[quote="andyrushworth"]I always hear a connection between BDBs guitar sound and the Roxy Music single All I Want Is You ,possibly because Roxy supported AC at Wembly , and when I heard Slowburn by PG I thought the the circle was complete :) in that Roxy probably paid a little AC tribute with AIWIY possibly heard by PG and reproduced in feel on Slowburn ?

Interesting- re Slowburn I hear more similarity to solo Alice guitars on Welcome and Hell than BDB- Dick Wagner content/ Ezrin production was it?

Re AIWIY- I had forgotten about this fantastic single by Roxy Music- I can't hear much similarity to guitars on BDB myself but there is a real clarity of sound/space between notes/phrasing(not pretending to be a muso btw but usually I have a decent ear-the right one lol) that is a bit like BDB production-so maybe you are on to something-will listen again a few times to AIWIY
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Dada has become one of my favorite Alice albums. It would definitely rank in my Top 10. Tons of great songs.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:55 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Maybe you'd care to tell us what solos for example on the Billion Dollar Babies album you don't like and I can tell you if Steve played them or not?
No cheating don't just say you hate them all even if you don't just to save face.

There are some great players in the list of those you do like that I also love but maybe you should give Steve and Dick another listen you are missing out big time.

Peter Gabriel's first solo album is a good place to start, don't tell me you've already heard it and can't stand it?! ::((:
Hi Steve
Firstly may I apologise for not thoroughly reading a previous post you made regarding this. I've not actually listened to Peter Gabriel's 1st Lp. Does that one have Solsbury Hill on it?
No I don't hate all the guitar solos on B$B but I don't love them either. Certainly not like I love the playing on the previous albums. If we're going B$B the 2 lead guitar parts that stick out to me are the solo in Generation Landslide and the some of the licks in the refrain of ILTD, which I believe were played by Steve and Dick respectively. I have, and I've admitted it, been to rash with my comments regarding this.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:36 am

Got to say apropos my previous comments I listened to WTMN for the first time in ages the other day (about 3 or 4 times) and I can't see what it was I disliked so much about it. If anything it's a solid album with good production, a great performance from Alice and yes some superb guitar work.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:26 am

Babysquid wrote:Got to say apropos my previous comments I listened to WTMN for the first time in ages the other day (about 3 or 4 times) and I can't see what it was I disliked so much about it. If anything it's a solid album with good production, a great performance from Alice and yes some superb guitar work.

Do you mean WTMN 1 or 2? I never heard that much dislikes about WTMN 1.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:52 pm

mestreech wrote:
Babysquid wrote:Got to say apropos my previous comments I listened to WTMN for the first time in ages the other day (about 3 or 4 times) and I can't see what it was I disliked so much about it. If anything it's a solid album with good production, a great performance from Alice and yes some superb guitar work.

Do you mean WTMN 1 or 2? I never heard that much dislikes about WTMN 1.
Yes I actually meant WTMN 1. I honestly didn't like it very much. I haven't heard W2MN yet but I'm now interested to hear it.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:35 pm

mr.barlow wrote:The thing that sets Dada apart from every other Alice album is that it was written without any specific demographic or audience in mind, namely the 12-20 year olds. There was no concern about trying to appeal to anyone.

The lyrics are by far Alice's best. The production is incredible. It's 31 years later and it still sounds incredibly unique and original. It's a true piece of art.

Shep and Ezrin knew that Alice needed to keep working after his near death and they were right. It had to be a relief to Alice to know he could do an album free of trying to please everyone, or trying to write a hit single. To produce and album with without any outside pressures. This was not an album where Alice was trying to ride the latest musical trend. This album shows everyone how damn good an artist Alice Cooper really is--if there ever is a doubt as to ALice's musical credibility, this one album should put them to rest.

The first lines of lyrics:
"Enough's enough's enough's enough;
"This year's been really really rough"

Think about all that had taken place in Alice's life the year preceeding the recording of Dada.

And the last line of verse lyrics in "Pass The Gun Around":

"I've had so many blackout nights before";
"I don't think I can take it anymore;"

From beginning to end there are so many personal references in the lyrics.

At any rate, the album is not for those looking for more songs like "No More Mr. Nice Guy", "School's Out" or "Halo Of Flies". Also, it's really not for those who love Alice for "Posion", "Hey Stoopid" and the hair metal years.

Dada is Alice's masterpiece as it is Alice at his very best--all while he was dealing with being at the lowest point in his life. It is Alice pushing aside all of the nonsense and I'll go so far and to say also pushing aside the character, to make an album from Alice the person.

I really believe that the album changed his life. I do know this for sure--just one song, "Pass The Gun Around" sure saved mine.
I love this post! It's too bad Alice doesn't remember recording this album.
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:03 pm

I remember I used to come on this board long ago and suggested that Dada was partly autobiographical and was dismissed for saying that. The "official" line was I was imagining it and taking it too seriously.

Glad to see the truth has come out in recent years because the intertwining of fact and fiction adds to the greatness and appreciation of the album.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:27 pm

From darkmenace:
"The "official" line was I was imagining it and taking it too seriously.

I think you're imagining things - there was no ""official line"".

>Glad to see the truth has come out in recent years

Where did this happen?

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:43 pm

If you're going to do key change this is how. Take not Bon Jovi and Robbie Williams!