Audio Snippet Of Alice's "Eleanor Rigby"

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Audio Snippet Of Alice's "Eleanor Rigby"

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:23 pm

concolz wrote:I'm glad he didn't 'ham it up' like on 'Because' - one of the worst covers I've ever heard, by anyone - yet disappointed at how ordinary it all sounds. Yes, Alice sings it tunefully, and it's all very 'nice', but I'd much prefer a record that elicited a 'what the hell was that?' response, even if meant negatively.
You sound like you're contradicting yourself here.

I actually like "Because" because he added some "Alice" into it (at George Martin's urging). He did no such thing here. And for that reason, it strikes me as pretty pointless. Heck, if I didn't know better I'd think they lifted the backing music right from the original track.

It's very cool for Alice to be involved in a project of this stature, but for die hard fans of Alice Cooper, this version doesn't really deliver.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:39 pm

I like his version but can agree with some people that a few minor flourishes of Alice wouldn't have hurt, just a subtle turn of voice here and there.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:Pointless. Adds nothing. The backing track is way to close to the original.
I actually agree with Pitkin!
It sounds great but too close to the original and too little (read none) of Alice's character to make it stand out. A missed opportunity.
Going by the interview clip that goes with the clip "smile" could be the more interesting song, but it's not a song I know so we'll see.

It had to happen Si. Some people are saying he is auto tuned too.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:56 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:Pointless. Adds nothing. The backing track is way to close to the original.
I actually agree with Pitkin!
It sounds great but too close to the original and too little (read none) of Alice's character to make it stand out. A missed opportunity.
Going by the interview clip that goes with the clip "smile" could be the more interesting song, but it's not a song I know so we'll see.

It had to happen Si. Some people are saying he is auto tuned too.
Sure it's not a square wave haha

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:49 pm

Well I can see the points being made by my esteemed fellow Alice fans re similarity to original but I still like it and I enjoyed the videos-thanks- It seemed odd seeing Alice singing with glasses on and looking like a schoolteacher(schools back in)-very chilled though which I liked- just looked up on amazon to see all tracks- smile away not listed so might this be a bonus track? (or I may have missed something)...btw..when he is talking/singing at one point (smile away) is he taking off Muhammad Ali?- I'm serious-all good to my ears/eyes
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:34 pm

I think I was so distracted watching him sing that I overlooked what others are saying: that a little more Alice would have helped. I'll have to agree. If someone heard the song on the radio they'd probably think it was the original. As it stands it shows Alice can do a great karaoke version of Eleanor Rigby.

Still a fun project and some music fans will be impressed with Alice's range.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Well it sure isn't "Seven & Seven Is".

On the bright side--it's nice to hear that Alice still has a decent singing voice.

With a voice like that we could eventually have an album of standards--much like Rod Stewart. Alice Crooner.

SkipTown
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by SkipTown » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:05 am

mr.barlow wrote:Well it sure isn't "Seven & Seven Is".

On the bright side--it's nice to hear that Alice still has a decent singing voice.

With a voice like that we could eventually have an album of standards--much like Rod Stewart. Alice Crooner.
I 'liked' what was done....hopefully this will help us all move one step closer to Alice working with Dennis, Neal, and Michael. (Does anyone know if Alice has had time to do the Christmas Album?)

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:32 am

This might be the time for Alice to finally do the rock n roll version of "A Christmas Carol". "Make That Money (Scrooge's Song)" off of Zipper was a song that was written for such a project.

The thing is now Alice has the age and the look to pull off playing Ebenezer Scrooge.

I think it would make a great Christmas album and stage show. Think of the possibilites of who would perform on the album. It's limitless--from Lady Gaga (Ghost Of Christmas Present) to William Shatner (Old Feziwig).

SkipTown
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by SkipTown » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:52 am

I kind of assumed that Alice might someday do some Christian Rock music. Some of his songs touch on the subject....so I always figured that he'd go all the way and do an "Eric Cartman"

http://youtu.be/81ibVbxkjnA

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:08 am

SkipTown wrote:I kind of assumed that Alice might someday do some Christian Rock music. Some of his songs touch on the subject....so I always figured that he'd go all the way and do an "Eric Cartman"

I think it would be safe to say that Alice has already done Christian rock music--The Last Temptation is an in your face Christian themed album, and it's no secret about his being a devout Christian. So what's your point?

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:57 am

mr.barlow wrote:The Last Temptation is an in your face Christian themed album
This might be splitting hairs but I don't consider TLT an "in your face" Christian album. To me that's putting it too strongly. I like how it deals with religious themes but they don't overpower the album. If they did I'd the first to be turned off by it.

SkipTown
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by SkipTown » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:02 am

Duets with Amy Grant?

SkipTown
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by SkipTown » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:10 am

mr.barlow wrote:
SkipTown wrote:I kind of assumed that Alice might someday do some Christian Rock music. Some of his songs touch on the subject....so I always figured that he'd go all the way and do an "Eric Cartman"

I think it would be safe to say that Alice has already done Christian rock music--The Last Temptation is an in your face Christian themed album, and it's no secret about his being a devout Christian. So what's your point?
REALLY splitting hairs here....To do true Christian music, wouldn't Alice have to change his name? "Alice Cooper" is a character...and I don't think it is an overly religious character. However Alice the man (Vince?) is a devoted Christian. SHOULD the Alice 'character' actually do Christian Rock?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:26 am

SkipTown wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:

REALLY splitting hairs here....To do true Christian music, wouldn't Alice have to change his name? "Alice Cooper" is a character...and I don't think it is an overly religious character. However Alice the man (Vince?) is a devoted Christian. SHOULD the Alice 'character' actually do Christian Rock?
He already has--so the answer is yes.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:47 am

darkmenace wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:The Last Temptation is an in your face Christian themed album
This might be splitting hairs but I don't consider TLT an "in your face" Christian album. To me that's putting it too strongly. I like how it deals with religious themes but they don't overpower the album. If they did I'd the first to be turned off by it.
Alice didn't even try to thinly disguise the Christian theme in TLT. It's pretty obvious. What do think the song "It's Me" is about? "Cleansed By Fire" is Alice's public confession of becoming a born again Christian as "Pass The Gun Around" was his confession of addiction ruining his life and career. If I remember right they even marketed the album to Christian book stores and Christian radio.

Brutal Planet was also an album heavily influenced by Alice's Christianity.

At any rate--with some easy research one can find all kinds of info on those albums and how they are steeped in Christian themes and about Alice's devout Christian beliefs and how they impacted his lyrics.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:26 am

Maybe he could change his name to Alice Crooner for the standards.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:28 am

SkipTown wrote:Duets with Amy Grant?

Rather her than Lady Goo Goo or Kesha.

SkipTown
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by SkipTown » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:34 am

At any rate--with some easy research one can find all kinds of info on those albums and how they are steeped in Christian themes and about Alice's devout Christian beliefs and how they impacted his lyrics.
Er....I checked on this site (discography), allmusic, and wikipedia on the album, "Last Temptation". I see nothing mentioned about that album and Christianity. Not being an aficionado of Christian Rock, or any christian music....I probably don't know where to check. All I can say is that Eric Cartman would not have used any of Alice's songs from that album.
::(

SkipTown
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by SkipTown » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:37 am

pitkin88 wrote:
SkipTown wrote:Duets with Amy Grant?

Rather her than Lady Goo Goo or Kesha.
To be honest - I know very little about Amy Grant. I do know that when she is on stage a lot of the audience raise their hands to God and sway back and forth. Not sure Alice could pull THAT off.