Dennis Dunaway Book

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Dennis Dunaway Book

Post by Babysquid » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:01 pm

pitkin88 wrote:I wouldn't consider 44 a hit.
Yeah but this is the UK chart and if it only made 44 that's probably how many people bought it! Fair point though. I think on Radio 2's pop master quiz they count a hit as anything top 70.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:03 pm

recoop wrote:Back to DDs book- whatever he says will be interesting to me and many AC fans I believe- I am sure recollections will be different- would Mick Jaggers memory of the Stones in the mid 1970s be the same as K Richards (remarkable if he remembers much) , Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman or Charlie Watts>- did the Stones have differences that skewed their opinions?- Did Keith and Mick ever fall out>- and so the same for Alice Cooper- which is why DD's book will be a great read, probably (and he will get some things wrong because he is creative and human).
Is it going to be any longer than MB's book? I think I read that in an afternoon, at work. Really looking forward to it though.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Babysquid wrote: Is it going to be any longer than MB's book? I think I read that in an afternoon, at work. Really looking forward to it though.
304 pages according to Amazon. I know DD had to cut it down from his original manuscript

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:35 pm

Crikey ..cut DDs book down from original manuscript-hope there will be the extended play version out later with missing chapters added- want to read as much of DDs account as I can- crikey we have been waiting so long for him to sing his song so to speak
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:56 pm

pitkin88 wrote:I wouldn't consider 44 a hit.
I did put it in inverted comas as well

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:25 am

Its a shame that some of the threads are descending into back and forth quips- beginning to put me off looking through threads or visit the site -might it not be best to stop replying to possible trolling/flaming or whatever. On subject DDs book will be interesting as he will be giving his perspective and hopefully commenting on his own feelings regarding many of the issues we debate/assume on- so there may be stuff about the various group members and their relationships. I am looking forward to the book and it may even provide some answers(well as far as one man's opinion ever can)

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:20 pm

Announcement:
This and another thread have been heavily pruned to remove off most topic posts in an attempt to get them back to the subject of the original post.

Skip is gone.

It is obvious, even by his own admission, he is only here to cause trouble and arguments, and that his intention is to wreck the forums and hijack topics for his own ends. He has no interest in facts or debate at all, which is a great shame, but I'm tried of seeing threads disintegrate into endless circular arguments.

The topic here is Dennis Dunaway's forthcoming book.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

:headcutoff:
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm interested in reading this! VERY cool cover!
"I'm just another case…”

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:21 pm

Yeah good cover-almost could be the latest Alice with a top hat-the whole images the sensationalism of AC

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:00 am

title reminds me of the one by Marc Gras :blood snakes and guillotines
(spanish book)
hopefully the pictures in DD book will be of better quality :)
you really wouldn't understand..

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:57 pm

Looking forward to this book always good to read what individual members of the band that was called Alice Cooper have to say, and try to decipher the truth.

Contrary to what pitkin seems to think I actually loved Michael Bruce's book, even though Alice has disputed it as fiction everyone has a different side of the story.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Seems to be the man who made alice was dennis. I cant believe the details he shares here. And the most shocking is they are still friends. He wasnt invited to meet Dali then pushed out of Alices life. He really disses on alice. Seems like alice just got really full of himself. Maybe thats why he plays most band stuff. So they can make money too. He feela bad about it. Now i here a full reinion for europe. Odd band. The memories of glenn passing and alice tooth falling out from drugs got to me the most. Goes to hell? Sounds like they went to it.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Keith1980 wrote:Seems to be the man who made alice was dennis. I cant believe the details he shares here. And the most shocking is they are still friends. He wasnt invited to meet Dali then pushed out of Alices life. He really disses on alice. Seems like alice just got really full of himself. Maybe thats why he plays most band stuff. So they can make money too. He feela bad about it. Now i here a full reinion for europe. Odd band. The memories of glenn passing and alice tooth falling out from drugs got to me the most. Goes to hell? Sounds like they went to it.
It sounds like they've all had some rough moments, but it was really insightful to hear the whole story told from Dennis's perspective. The audio book is even better. Hearing Dennis in his own words makes it all the more funny, inspirational, moving, and heartbreaking. Wonderful book. So thankful to have it.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Keith1980 wrote:And the most shocking is they are still friends. He wasnt invited to meet Dali then pushed out of Alices life. He really disses on alice.
And yet to this day Alice still tells all interviewers there was never any animosity or disagreements, just a nice gentleman's agreement to split up. Alice is very lucky to have such forgiving friends and in the end they have all benefited from it.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:50 pm

darkmenace wrote:
Keith1980 wrote:And the most shocking is they are still friends. He wasnt invited to meet Dali then pushed out of Alices life. He really disses on alice.
And yet to this day Alice still tells all interviewers there was never any animosity or disagreements, just a nice gentleman's agreement to split up. Alice is very lucky to have such forgiving friends and in the end they have all benefited from it.
Well, in his book Dennis tells it pretty straight (pardon the pun) in my view. I don't think he 'really disses' on Alice so much as he does the way things were handled.

I don't know if Dennis or any of the other ACG Members have ever asked themselves if they would have done the same thing if they were in Alice's position. Actually, MB sort of did in his book - he states that if he had gotten a smash hit with his solo material in the mid-70's he might not have wanted to continue with the Group but he also states that he likes to think that he would have.

I do agree with darkmenace's comment about what Alice tells interviewers, etc.

Ted

NikToo
Trash
Trash

Post by NikToo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Finished Dennis' book and reading Golf Monster currently. I much prefer the former. Alice "misremembers" a lot of stuff, like whether or not the overturned van was an old one or as Alice states a brand new yellow one paid for by his dad. Also the chicken story gets repeated even though Dennis debunked it, and looking at the video you can tell Dennis' version is correct.

I think it's really interesting though, I think Vince/Alice is essentially someone who just gets along with people, but who will quickly move on if it will benefit him. He doesn't mention in Golf Monster about teaming up with the school bully funnily enough. But I think that's his way, he'll adapt to the situation, whether it's school, in the band or hanging with the celebrities. It's the same way with his music, he's always adapted. Golf Monster is a bit of a hagiography though, it seems it was the rest of the band who did all the drugs and Alice who kept it all together. He gives very little credit to the band and Mike and Dennis as the primary songwriters, and a lot of name dropping.

But yeah, Dennis, Mike and Neal are definitely the forgiving kind. On "A Fistful of Alice" Alice says he wrote "Desperado" for Jim Morrison, but Dennis wrote it. Alice always says the band wanted to less theatrics, Dennis has said that wasn't the case, what he wanted was to go back to the musical roots of the band. By Muscle of Love it's fairly generic rock, not the same avant garde stuff they started out with.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:36 am

NikToo wrote:On "A Fistful of Alice" Alice says he wrote "Desperado" for Jim Morrison, but Dennis wrote it.
Except that Alice and Michael Bruce has the writing credit for it on the actual album. Wasn't Dennis's lyrics the "Tornado Warning" version that is on the "Old School" box-set?
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

NikToo
Trash
Trash

Post by NikToo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:17 am

Swinger wrote:
NikToo wrote:On "A Fistful of Alice" Alice says he wrote "Desperado" for Jim Morrison, but Dennis wrote it.
Except that Alice and Michael Bruce has the writing credit for it on the actual album. Wasn't Dennis's lyrics the "Tornado Warning" version that is on the "Old School" box-set?
Yes, but Dennis writes: "My poem inspired the meter and the melody of the lyrics, and the mood of the song, but by the time we recorded the final track, the lyrics became "Desperado," which Alice thought was more fitting. I agreed, and didn't mind going uncredited - well, not completely anyway."

Alice got the idea from Dennis, not as some sort of project for Jim Morrison.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:23 pm

NikToo wrote:
Swinger wrote:
Yes, but Dennis writes: "My poem inspired the meter and the melody of the lyrics, and the mood of the song, but by the time we recorded the final track, the lyrics became "Desperado," which Alice thought was more fitting. I agreed, and didn't mind going uncredited - well, not completely anyway."

Alice got the idea from Dennis, not as some sort of project for Jim Morrison.
I interpreted the "wrote for Jim Morrison" as that it was written as a tribute to Jim Morrison and not as project for Jim Morrsion. And Alice did write the lyrics.
Yes, the vocal melody, the meter and the mood is Dennis but the actual lyrics between the Tornado Warning and the Desperado versions of the song are completely different, so it's not impossible that Alice was inspired by Jim Morrison when he wrote the new lyrics.

I liked Dennis's book and it's probably a more real take on days of the Alice Cooper band than Alice himself ever could tell but that doesn't mean that everything Alice says is untrue.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."