Dennis Dunaway Book

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

SkipTown
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Dennis Dunaway Book

Post by SkipTown » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:26 pm

For those that don't read the news page here.....

http://199.168.12.107/snakesguillotines ... nisDunaway

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Dennis Dunaway Book

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:18 am

I think this will be THE book to get on the ACG. Looking forward to this.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:01 pm

I am also looking forward to this book.

Toronto Bob wrote "I think this will be THE book to get on the ACG. Looking forward to this"

A genuine question to Bob and other posters who may share his view- Why do you think this is "THE book?" Do you see Dennis' recollections as being more valid? Do you think he has perhaps a more balanced view especially the reasons for the break up? (considering some of the heated arguments on the other thread I re-iterate: I mean it as a genuine question of interest and not to "flame" responses from anyone)

SkipTown
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by SkipTown » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Robbie wrote:I am also looking forward to this book.

Toronto Bob wrote "I think this will be THE book to get on the ACG. Looking forward to this"

A genuine question to Bob and other posters who may share his view- Why do you think this is "THE book?" Do you see Dennis' recollections as being more valid? Do you think he has perhaps a more balanced view especially the reasons for the break up? (considering some of the heated arguments on the other thread I re-iterate: I mean it as a genuine question of interest and not to "flame" responses from anyone)
Well.......outside of MB's book, all of the history of Alice Cooper has been "Alice-centric". Dennis' personality may be more conducive to a balanced view of the band's history. Dennis was less of a partyer during this period and seems to have been able to focus better on the details of his past. Add to that the presence of Cindy who kept the letters she wrote her mom. Both kept a diary (not day to day, admittedly) during the ACG days. Of course, in the end, it is still just one/two people's view...but it will be the first book, since MB's, that does not have Alice's point of view. Hopefully it will have many new versions of old stories and final put to rest the question of how many false teeth Alice has. (wink, wink).

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:34 pm

From SkipTown:
"outside of MB's book, all of the history of Alice Cooper has been "Alice-centric"."

This is true, although it might be worth pointing out that Bob Greene seemed to give everyone equal space in his book. Also, all the other members with the exception of Glen, have contributed to various other documentaries and they have, over the years, given many interviews, all of which should be easy to find.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:27 pm

....well it sounds something to look forward to. Can't wait to read it!

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:09 pm

The cover looks fabulous; hope the contents match it! I didn't find MB's book particularly bitter - a touch caustic in places - just ploddingly dull. Alice's 'Golf Monster' was eminently readable, particularly the very early years, although I'm not sure the interposed golf chapters idea really worked in the end.

If Dennis's book is critical of Alice re the band split, or anything else, I don't think AC will be particularly bothered. Alice always seems to take criticism in his stride; the polar opposite of most egotistical pop 'stars'.
Last edited by concolz on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:15 pm

I ordered mine already. Looking forward to reading it.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:16 am

Can't wait to read it. But just like any other biography, won't be right or wrong, just someone's opinion and view of things. Will be keeping that in mind when reading it.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:56 am

Shoesalesman wrote:Can't wait to read it. But just like any other biography, won't be right or wrong, just someone's opinion and view of things. Will be keeping that in mind when reading it.
totally agree with Shoesalesman ! I hope we'll all do.. :8):
you really wouldn't understand..

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:02 am

SkipTown wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:From SkipTown:
"I am sure will be thoroughly scrutinized by Alice and Shep's "people" for not only errors but remarks that might reflect negatively on them."

Obviously, that's ridiculous.
andy, andy andy. PLEASE don’t tell me that you won’t be going over Dennis’ book with a fine tooth comb. YOU are the 'people' I was talking about in my last post. This is exactly the kind of work Alice/Shep (don’t) pay you for! You’ve been doing this kind of 'work' for decades now... so are you telling me that you won’t seek out errors in DD’s book?
Cos he/they obviously did that with that "Welcome to My Nightmare" book where Alice ages about five years in two and Glen takes up the drums.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:17 am

Certainly looking forward to this . Hoping there will be some rare photos as well.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:33 pm

I'm looking forward to it also and I'm hoping Dennis is candid. I think he'll have recollections of events that Alice has forgotten or chooses not to discuss.

My take is Dennis and Neal still want to work with Alice on future projects. Saying too many negative or contradictory things won't help their cause. Hence I am concerned that Dennis might play it safe and skirt some difficult subjects.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:54 pm

I reckon Dennis may well be candid as that will help to sell the book - MBs book didnt result in AC totally not working with him at least in terms of "When Hell Comes Home" and a few appearances together- DD's book will give is another slant and we can look for common ground-where MB,AC and DD agree plus look at areas of difference. Re comments about anyone going over it with a fine tooth comb- it doesnt matter- we will all come to our own conclusions
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:17 pm

I always wonder what kind of public is there for these books ( NMMNG by MB or Golf Monster by AC and now this one )apart from the obvious one (this public :alice: ).
Is there anything known about how well these books are received, is this a news item in America ? ( not in Europe afaik)
you really wouldn't understand..

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:24 pm

patrick wrote:Is there anything known about how well these books are received, is this a news item in America ? ( not in Europe afaik)
No, it's not. As many have tried saying here, the general public in America doesn't know that Alice Cooper was once the name of a group. Even many Alice fans at Alice shows wouldn't know the name "Dennis Dunaway."

Hunter

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:Can't wait to read it. But just like any other biography, won't be right or wrong, just someone's opinion and view of things. Will be keeping that in mind when reading it.
That's kinda true but kinda not, just like there are history books written by Bill O'Reilly and then there are history books written by Howard Zinn.

Not everything should be given equal weight in the name of fair and balanced.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:23 pm

From Toronto Bo:
"Not everything should be given equal weight in the name of fair and balanced."

I understand you're point but what you say is only true if all sources are indeed treated equally - it wouldn't be "fair and balanced" otherwise. You can't get a good summary of a subject unless you consider all sources and all opposing views. Problems arise when some sources are ignored simply because they scupper a theory.

SkipTown
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by SkipTown » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:06 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Toronto Bo:
"Not everything should be given equal weight in the name of fair and balanced."

I understand you're point but what you say is only true if all sources are indeed treated equally - it wouldn't be "fair and balanced" otherwise. You can't get a good summary of a subject unless you consider all sources and all opposing views. Problems arise when some sources are ignored simply because they scupper a theory.

Sorry amuk...but at this point in time, many of Alice's views of the past are getting to the point of near worthlessness. You are totally wrong in attempting to place equal value on all sources.

For example....listen to the first part of this recent interview by Alice....

http://youtu.be/c47EDqhlaVw

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:45 pm

I watched that interview and all Alice was doing was paying respect to Dick Wagner, nothing more or less!!!