The Producers

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

The Producers

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:26 am

Who in your opinion are the top 5 producers that have worked with Alice?

Also... are there any producers you wish Alice to work with in future?

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Looking for an answer......

Post by Babysquid » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Bob Ezrin (although after SO it all got a bit too slick for me, Dada was great though)
Andy Wallace
Jack Richardson
Jack Douglas
David Briggs (even though he didn't like them)

I'd love to se him work with Steve Albini

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:58 pm

There's only two I particularly rate:- Bob Ezrin (for the four group albums, plus 'WTMN', 'GTH' and 'Dada') and Bob Marlette (love the claustrophobic tension of 'BP' and 'DT').

It would be interesting to see Alice work with John Cale, Rick Rubin (on a stripped-down, Johnny Cash-type album), Todd Rundgren, Trent Reznor or George Clinton (that'd be wild, weird and funktastically better than 'classic rock').

tommycooper
Trash
Trash

Post by tommycooper » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:17 pm

Only two stand out for me. Bob, of course, and David Foster for the magnificent From The Inside. Alice was an admirer of the late John Barry and I'd have loved if they could have collaborated on a Bond theme (or indeed anything). I think The Man With The Golden Gun was Barry's weakest Bond effort but that Alice's version needed his talents to make it soar. I bet they'd have got on well too with their shared love of film, and it might have saved John from having to work with A-Ha!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:27 pm

David Foster, yeah. Brilliant work on FTI.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:52 am

Concolz mentioned Todd R. Todd did produce 2 remakes for the Roadie soundtrack, "Road Rats" & "Pain". Although I am a huge fan of Todd's, I thought the production was terrible on the remakes. Ezrin, D. Foster, & RT Baker each produced great stuff with Alice. I also love Erik Scott's work on Zipper. Great drum sound on that album. Very punchy snare & kick. Must also give credit to the engineers.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:29 am

Shoesalesman wrote:David Foster, yeah. Brilliant work on FTI.
I love FTI but really don't like the production.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Producers

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:45 pm

From tommycooper:
"I bet they'd have got on well too with their shared love of film"

They met in London in 1974 which I'm sure Alice was happy about as he was such an admirer.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:02 am

David Foster? Is there a puke icon?

tommycooper
Trash
Trash

Post by tommycooper » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:05 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:From tommycooper:
"I bet they'd have got on well too with their shared love of film"

They met in London in 1974 which I'm sure Alice was happy about as he was such an admirer.
Thanks Andy.

Alice has talked a lot about his love of the stripped down garage sound but was an admirer of John Barry's work and in Bob and David Foster had a couple of producers who were not shy in using strings and horns. Is there a contradiction there and does it help explain why Alice's work can be quite polarising?

Paulimo
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Paulimo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:54 am

tommycooper wrote:Only two stand out for me. Bob, of course, and David Foster for the magnificent From The Inside. Alice was an admirer of the late John Barry and I'd have loved if they could have collaborated on a Bond theme (or indeed anything). I think The Man With The Golden Gun was Barry's weakest Bond effort but that Alice's version needed his talents to make it soar. I bet they'd have got on well too with their shared love of film, and it might have saved John from having to work with A-Ha!
Agree totally, and totally agree.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:06 am

From tommycooper:
"Is there a contradiction there"

Absolutely not. Why can't people like lots of different things? Do you only listen to one type of music?

>does it help explain why Alice's work can be quite polarising?

I don't understand why an explanation is even necessary.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Well I dont know how to judge the producers really but Messrs Ezrin, Douglas and Richardson stand out for me but TFT, FTI and BP sounded great as well..anyway I would like to hear David Gilmour produce Alice and write some stuff with him and for the garage sound similar thinking with Jack White...Bowie would be interesting too if he was up for it..So Gilmour, White and Bowie(as wild card).
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:58 pm

Babysquid wrote:
Just my opinion, but this is one album where everything seems flawless. Songs, arrangements, mix, theme. Right album, right production, right time.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:11 am

recoop wrote: I would like to hear David Gilmour produce Alice and write some stuff with him and for the garage sound similar thinking with Jack White...Bowie would be interesting too if he was up for it..So Gilmour, White and Bowie(as wild card).
Gilmore would be interesting but it seems he has leaned on Bob Ezrin (a little) for the last couple of Pink Floyd studio albums. Jack White - I'm all for him taking a shot. Bowie hasn't done a lot of Production work since the '70's. I think an all out Rob Zombie Production is what AC needs. If he can tear Rob away from movies long enough to write with him too!
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:26 am

Shoesalesman wrote:
Babysquid wrote:
Just my opinion, but this is one album where everything seems flawless. Songs, arrangements, mix, theme. Right album, right production, right time.
And at the end of the day what I said is just my opinion to. It's the backing vox mostly for me. They kind of take the teeth out of "Serious" for a start.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:27 am

For me, Bob Ezrin is the Man...one of the best producers ever and that includes Pink Floyd and KISS as well. Think highly of RTB and Jack Douglas as well.
Would like to see him work alongside George Martin, Eddie Kramer or Jimmy Page also.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Years ago I watched a docu re Pink Floyd and I think it was Gilmour explaining their stage etc and from memory he said something like we didnt have an Alice Cooper as front man. Now given that imo some Ezrin produced Alice solo albums have touches of Floyd like guitars- ACGTH and Dada- would really like to hear what David Gilmour would do as producer. I used to watch some of Pink Floyds big productions on tv and think would be even better if a demonic/gothic Alice was included on stage say to represent evil in an abstract way-maybe even Ezrin and Gilmour working together with AC
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Babysquid wrote:And at the end of the day what I said is just my opinion to. It's the backing vox mostly for me. They kind of take the teeth out of "Serious" for a start.
Fair comment. Wasn't trying to knock your opinion earlier. It all comes down to personal tastes. :)

Btw, I love the backing vocals on that song haha. Cheers!!

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:39 pm

The Jack White suggestion could potentially be amazing and should be reserved for a time when AC would be willing to bring in DD and NS as full partners. Jack White's writing abilities and energy could be the thing needed to deliver what we have all waited for so long - an album to rival the best that AC has ever done.