Dennis Dunaway's Book

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Dennis Dunaway's Book

Post by tommystooge » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:39 am

Anyone know what's happening with Dennis' book? I would love to read his take on things..
Remember The Coop !!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Dennis Dunaway's Book

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:13 am

I'm not sure if it is finished and Dennis is looking for a publisher. It should be the most accurate as he kept a diary and was not an alcoholic like Alice.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:35 am

Kudos to Dennis for doing a book. However just like Michael Bruce's book it's just one opinion on matters. Even as accurate as one person's views are, with or without a diary, it is still only one view.

Having said that, as the initial post suggests, I'd definitely read it.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:11 am

Yes, it's only one's view of things, but between Alice, who over blows things and then embellishes at will and Mike's slightly bitter account, Dennis' should lie somewhere in between and give us some truth to the whole saga that is Alice Cooper, funny how something that happened so long ago is still important to us all, crazy, but I love it to death.
Remember The Coop !!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:44 am

>crazy,

That's very true. Also, I see that you are a new member here, so I would strongly recommend (as suggested at the other thread) that before posting anything else, you find the time to go through some old posts which will probably go a long way to answering some of your questions as well as providing links to even more information.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:56 pm

I've never read Michael's book - is it bitter?? I've always been put off by the very silly prices it goes for, but would read it if given a good opportunity.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:09 pm

Gunner wrote:I've never read Michael's book - is it bitter?? I've always been put off by the very silly prices it goes for, but would read it if given a good opportunity.
Some of it is quite critical of Alice, but it also has many positive things to say too. It's an interesting read although its debatable whether some of it is true or fiction.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:13 pm

I would RUN to read a book written by Neal!!! :p

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:18 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:
Gunner wrote:I've never read Michael's book - is it bitter?? I've always been put off by the very silly prices it goes for, but would read it if given a good opportunity.
Some of it is quite critical of Alice, but it also has many positive things to say too. It's an interesting read although its debatable whether some of it is true or fiction.
Same goes for Alice...if you read Me, Alice and then Golf Monster, he contradicts himself between books...we need Dennis' book to bridge the gap...
Remember The Coop !!

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Same goes for Alice...if you read Me, Alice and then Golf Monster, he contradicts himself between books...we need Dennis' book to bridge the gap...
Imagine that. A 60+ year old guy changes his "stories" in two books that are 30 years apart! I guess you don't listen to the "war stories" of WWII vets.
:bam:

Also, that "bridge gapping" that you lay on Dennis' shoulders is a pretty big burden. His view will be his view, but not always the only view, however. OH WAIT...Dennis is over 60 as well!!! I hope he dosn't suffer from "old timer's disease".
:)

I am sure Dennis will be as honest and forthright in his book as he seems to be in person. But in any historical discourse, his views and opinions are often just that - and not cold hard facts. His view of events were different from MB, Alice's, Neal's and Glen's

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:59 pm

GNDM wrote:
Imagine that. A 60+ year old guy changes his "stories" in two books that are 30 years apart! I guess you don't listen to the "war stories" of WWII vets.

Also, that "bridge gapping" that you lay on Dennis' shoulders is a pretty big burden. His view will be his view, but not always the only view, however. OH WAIT...Dennis is over 60 as well!!! I hope he dosn't suffer from "old timer's disease".

I am sure Dennis will be as honest and forthright in his book as he seems to be in person. But in any historical discourse, his views and opinions are often just that - and not cold hard facts. His view of events were different from MB, Alice's, Neal's and Glen's
Seriously, that's your best comeback?? Do you have no idea about how Alice likes to change his stories and make stuff up to entertain the masses...pick an Alice storie and follow how it changes over the years...listen to the spoken word cd on the boxset, the first interview is from back in the day and they talk about using chicken's in their show at several different concerts, over the years it had turned into someone threw the chicken on stage, and Alice "didn't know chicken's couldn't fly", then over the years there were cripples in the first 5 rows, next thing it will be Jimi Hendrix threw the chicken on stage...am I clear with what I'm saying or are you 60 years old????

Alice does this because he thinks it's entertaining, which it is, but as a diehard fan, Iwould like to get the real stories sometime...UNDERSTAND!!!!
Remember The Coop !!

moonshadow
Dada God
Dada God

Post by moonshadow » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:07 pm

tommystooge wrote:
GNDM wrote:

Seriously, that's your best comeback?? Do you have no idea about how Alice likes to change his stories and make stuff up to entertain the masses...pick an Alice storie and follow how it changes over the years...listen to the spoken word cd on the boxset, the first interview is from back in the day and they talk about using chicken's in their show at several different concerts, over the years it had turned into someone threw the chicken on stage, and Alice "didn't know chicken's couldn't fly", then over the years there were cripples in the first 5 rows, next thing it will be Jimi Hendrix threw the chicken on stage...am I clear with what I'm saying or are you 60 years old????

Alice does this because he thinks it's entertaining, which it is, but as a diehard fan, Iwould like to get the real stories sometime...UNDERSTAND!!!!

GNDM was giving his take on it. Quite frankly I think your response is downright rude, there is no need for this.
You've got to trust your dreamers heart
Nobody else will tell you when you fall apart.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:28 pm

I don't think it is bitter at all. It is obviously slanted as all we had for years was Alice's version of things. Mike attempts to readdress some of the balance.

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:43 am

GNDM was giving his take on it. Quite frankly I think your response is downright rude, there is no need for this.[/quote]

Sorry not trying to be rude, just making a point, if you know anything about alice is he likes to tell stories and for someone to say because he's 60 he can't remember anything is nutty...GNDM, please accept my apology if you were offended...
Remember The Coop !!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:09 am

Gunner wrote:I've always been put off by the very silly prices it goes for
Me too. Would love to give it a read though.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:15 am

I would love to read Dennis Dunaway's book! If Neal Smith was to write one, I'd love to read that as well. Any band members account is welcome!

Unfortunately, we'll never hear Glen Buxton's side of things. In some ways, he to me is one of the most interesting members of the band. That's probably due in part to the fact he was the least heard from over the years and moreover, the fact he's not been with us since 1997.

I have(had)Michael Bruce's book (it mysteriously disappeared a few years back), it was a quick and good read. I had to order it from a little shop, back in 1998.

It had some cool photos that, at that time, I hadn't seen before. Yeah, he was bitter about stuff but as was pointed out earlier, also had positive aspects. I was just glad to have gotten it, never having heard any of the original band's take on things.

It's worth getting if you're interested in someone else's point of view, other than Alice's. And it correctly credits Cindy Smith (Dunaway) as introducing the band to Shep Gordon and Joe Greenburg. I never fell for the Jimi story! I'll take truth over embellished entertaining myths any day! Although, Alice tells a great story!

I also have Alice's "Golf Monster" book. Also, an entertaining read but have only read excerpts from "Me, Alice". Would love to get a copy of that! I skipped all the chapters about golf, I have to admit!

Everybody is going to have a different view on things. It's natural. There were times and incidents where not all 5 members were present and even if they were, everybody will percieve things in their own way.

I never read things and put them against each other, thinking about who's account is right or wrong or which one is more valid, credible and accurate. None of us were there, how would we know? So, who are we to say. I just look at it as more information on a band I love.

Either way, I hope Dennis finds the right publisher.
"Same as always, different as ever"

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:25 am

tommystooge wrote:listen to the spoken word cd on the boxset, the first interview is from back in the day and they talk about using chicken's in their show at several different concerts, over the years it had turned into someone threw the chicken on stage, and Alice "didn't know chicken's couldn't fly", then over the years there were cripples in the first 5 rows
One interesting things about that. Research has shown that the show with the "criples" in the front five rows was is fact a different show a couple of weeks later, also in Canada if I recall.
Alice has combined the two stories to make a more entertaining single story. He does this often.
Dennis kinda does it in his book as well (so he told me) as it aided the flow of the narrative, rather then mention every little thing seperately.
Now, as we already know there were chickens at more then one show, so who's to say there weren`t chickens at both shows and both stories are partially true?

Alice is a raconteur, he is GREAT at interviews BECAUSE he can tell a great story. It's is part of his job.
Yes, we have heard them 100 times, but many people audiences haven`t. So the more entertaining and funny he can be the better the interview to the general public, who likely have little awareness of his music on most of the shows he gets to be on nowadays.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:34 am

>His view of events were different from MB, Alice's, Neal's and Glen's

This is addressed to everyone on this board and I want you to read it carefully. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to, but if you take it for what it is, it may free certain people here from some of the ridiculous assumptions they make. What GNDM wrote is exactly right because Dennis once said to me something like "if that's how Alice remembers it, then he remembers it as well as anybody" - in other words, everyone remembers things the way they remember things. Everyone is right and everyone is wrong. What tommystooge and others need to understand is that not only is he and others not owed the 'truth', no - one knows for sure what the 'truth' is. Now, following the statement that Dennis made, if anyone still wants to hang onto any preconceptions and assumptions, that says more about them than it does about anything else.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 am

Everybody is going to have a different view on things. It's natural. There were times and incidents where not all 5 members were present and even if they were, everybody will percieve things in their own way.

An excellent post.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:39 am

>Anyone know what's happening with Dennis' book?

Why not ask him directly? Didn't pitkin88 give you a link or something?