Other musical artists view of Alice the person

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Other musical artists view of Alice the person

Post by recoop » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:30 pm

I was driving along tonight at just after 6pm ish listening to BBC Radio 2 in the UK...Midge Ure on Simon Mayo show mentioned the Classic Meets Rock tour and in particular how nice Alice was in person...friendly, approachable and Midge mentioned that he reckoned Alice was maybe doing the tour so he could play golf early morning..so many people have said similar nice things re Alice and even Alice used to say he was only acting back in early 70s....It seems that Alice really is seen as a nice guy..I can only recall Lou Reed I think and David Bowie being a bit off re Alice but the mass majority of comment seems to say he is a chilled out, nice, friendly guy..comments on other threads have suggested he tried to go more mainstream with his music mid 70s but then again his life went mainstream with marriage in mid 70s-reckon the person underneath the image, the booze, the stardom etc has always been pretty chilled, friendly etc and probably fellow musicians were aware of this even when Alice was playing the image to the max-what do you think?
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Other musical artists view of Alice the person

Post by concolz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:31 pm

One of the reasons I've always liked Alice is because he comes across as modest and affable - no rock star airs and graces, no 'tiaras and tantrums' etc. He's intelligent and articulate, has a moral compass, genuinely still seems to love 'it' for the music and not just the money, plus feels comfortable enough in himself to let others share/take the limelight.

The only musician I've come across who's been consistently critical of 'Alice the person' is Wayne/Jayne County, which is a pity since I really like his/her music! Jayne says she loves Alice the stage performer, but not the off-stage 'rock and roll RepubliKKKan turd'. Here's a flavour of things, from her 'Rock And Roll Hall Of Shame' diatribe:-

"The man beneath the mask of Alice Cooper is a conservative bigot.....a 'born again' Christian theocratic ***hole....spouting phony, hypocritical, senile crap..."

There's a ton more! She also lays into other musicians, including Gene Simmons and Ted Nugent (I agree with everything she rants about there!!) plus she's very bitter about Bowie, accusing him of stealing her entire act. I've not included a link because most of it is potentially libellous!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 am

"The man beneath the mask of Alice Cooper is a conservative bigot.....a 'born again' Christian theocratic ***hole....spouting phony, hypocritical, senile crap..."

Isn't it always the case that the people accusing others of intolerance and bigotry are sometimes the biggest bigots among us. They all preach about tolerance and acceptance of everybody yet the hate, vitriol and bigtory that spews from their mouths is some of the most vile stuff uttered by anyone.

I find it that most of these ignorant hypocrites biggest problem is with Christianity--be it Alice's personal faith or as a whole. Why is this? Why can't they accept the faith of others rather than spew such hatred?

Also, their other problem is with those who have conservative beliefs. Again--why is this? They always harp about the tolerance of everything--that is unless it is something that they do not agree with.

I was a fan before Alice was public about his devout Christian faith and I became even a bigger fan knowing that there was finally someone brave enough in his position to profess it. I too am a proud Christian with conservative beliefs.

Go ahead any bigoted haters--time to show your "tolerance".

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 am

To be honest, in terms of my own viewpoint, I never really liked Coop's politics but that has never effected me about his music and as a person. I met him several times and seen millions of interviews and I still love the Coop. He's a good person and a brilliant musician. I have a few friends that I never really cared for their politics but it has never come between us. So people should be more tolerant in terms of certain viewpoints even if you feel strongly about that subject, it's what makes the world more diversified.
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

tommycooper
Trash
Trash

Post by tommycooper » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:56 am

Saw the Shep documentary the other night and there's a point where Shep is pleading with Teddy Pendergrass to go on stage when he doesn't want to. Shep talked of Karma and treating your audience with the utmost respect. I think Alice and Shep's ethics have served them (and us) very well

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:39 am

it doesn't seem like he talks politics very much..in fact,he doesn't talk about his faith too much. I've never heard of this person who was calling him out,but y'know he is ASKED these things sometimes. should he plead the 5th?

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:11 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
I find it that most of these ignorant hypocrites biggest problem is with Christianity--be it Alice's personal faith or as a whole. Why is this? Why can't they accept the faith of others rather than spew such hatred?

Also, their other problem is with those who have conservative beliefs. Again--why is this? They always harp about the tolerance of everything--that is unless it is something that they do not agree with.

I was a fan before Alice was public about his devout Christian faith and I became even a bigger fan knowing that there was finally someone brave enough in his position to profess it. I too am a proud Christian with conservative beliefs.

Ah yes, the christian playing the role they know so well - the poor down-trodden victim of the mean PC Police.

I explained it to you before and you summarily dismissed my explanation. It's that Christians as a whole (and evangelicals in particular) want to shove their beliefs down everyone's throats, and I mean that in the most serious way. They want to obliterate the separation between church and state and then impose a christian theocracy, so no thanks.

I don't see the Buddhists doing this, Shinto, Jews - nope. Just the Jeezos. If they kept their claptrap to themselves (and actually obeyed their own rules), I would have some respect for them. I would view Islam in the same way if they had the same influence in North America. Believe in your god, bow to him when ever you like, just leave me and the rest of us out of it.

Understand now?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:

Ah yes, the christian playing the role they know so well - the poor down-trodden victim of the mean PC Police.

I explained it to you before and you summarily dismissed my explanation. It's that Christians as a whole (and evangelicals in particular) want to shove their beliefs down everyone's throats, and I mean that in the most serious way. They want to obliterate the separation between church and state and then impose a christian theocracy, so no thanks.

I don't see the Buddhists doing this, Shinto, Jews - nope. Just the Jeezos. If they kept their claptrap to themselves (and actually obeyed their own rules), I would have some respect for them. I would view Islam in the same way if they had the same influence in North America. Believe in your god, bow to him when ever you like, just leave me and the rest of us out of it.

Understand now?
What I do understand is that you are an ignorant religious bigot. Your words speak volumes as to the type of person you are and I'm so happy that your are so free to share your intolerance and hatred with the rest of us.

Your comment of "shoving it down everyone's throats" just shows how much yuour hatred and bigotry has corrupted your perception. Christans have the right to speak freely their beliefs (did you ever hear of the U.S. Constitution?) and if one wants to listen or not to listen that is their choice. Who is forcing you to listen? Granted the United States is a predominatly Chritian and Jewish nation and those beliefs will reflect in the the leaders we elect and the policies that are enacted. BUT the U.S. Constitution protects ANY religion from being a state religion. You want a wprld in which the religious have no say--you want a world free of religion at the expense of those who wish and want to be religious. YOU and people like you ARE the true bigots.

Your hatred of Evanagelical Christians such as Alice Cooper speaks to the type of intolerant and twisted person you are. In anotehr post you went so far as to say that Alice Cooper is a member of a "hate group" called Evangelical Christianity. Maybe you'd like to expand on that idea and expose us all to your irrational thinking. You are an insanely unhinged individual.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:30 pm

Actually you sound like the one becoming unglued and I don't have a need to expand further. I stated clearly believe what you want, leave the rest of us out of it, why would you object to that - unless of course your religion feels the need and has the right to dictate how others live their life?

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 pm

Politics and religion - guaranteed to generate heated debate, and wars! If they didn't exist though, humans would find plenty of other things to squabble and fight about, because we're a deeply flawed species.

I've never really understood why a musician's 'views' are of any importance to anyone, except the musician. If I wanted a plumber, the only thing I'd be interested in would be his/her ability to fix a leak, not their 'beliefs'. Why should it be any different where musos are concerned? (Although we all have our own particular 'lines in the sand'.)

Anyway, Alice has always come across to me as one of the most apolitical musicians around, and I've never thought him the least bit proselytising as far as his Christianity goes. He's not perfect - neither am I - yet in a music business synonymous with inflated egos, sexual exploitation, rip offs and deeply unsavoury characters, Alice has always stood out as one of the nicer guys. (Apart from the previously mentioned Jayne County, I've not come across any persistent criticisms of 'Alice the person' from his musical peers.)

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:17 pm

Why has this turned into a religious debate? Why not keep it to how other musicians view Alice without bringing religion into it?

Board Rules and Guidelines.

Number 2.

2. It is normally best to avoid some "hot topics" like religion, politics etc. We're here to discuss Alice Cooper and related matters. If you want to discuss those things there's plenty of places elsewhere for that. This isn`t really the place for those topics. This doesn`t prevent chat about current events in the OFF TOPIC Message Board. However if such a topic starts to become too heated through opposing views the moderators WILL close it or delete it.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:31 pm

Hard to argue that Alice isn't a nice guy, seems a general consensus. Unfortunately respect as an artist doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with being seen as an "ultra sweety guy" and I suspect it may have hurt him in that regard.

Four things come to mind that hurt Alice being taken more seriously as an artist: golf, religion, joking around a lot (and being seen as not taking his own work seriously), the nice guy thing.

You have to stick with Alice and read between the lines to see the artistry of his work.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:13 pm

I started this thread with no mention of politics/religion so if this discussion could be closed (as mentioned by Kevin) I would be sad indeed as every subject could be similarly hijacked and if so there would be no threads left and no forum.Hope that never happens.

That aside, I think that when other musicians meet Alice for the first time they often seem surprised he is friendly etc-it is as if the other stars have somehow bought into the stage act- I remember hearing one of the guys from Tears for Fears being interviewed years ago and his opinion was that Alice had done Welcome and semi retired into enjoying his life and golf- and seemed to praise him for this- At a lot of the mystery re AC has been lost but what we have seen I think is more of the personality underneath-I have enjoyed seeing Alice jamming with other stars and having a laugh seemingly out of character-must reduce the stress compared to keeping up an image constantly.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:14 pm

darkmenace wrote:Hard to argue that Alice isn't a nice guy, seems a general consensus. Unfortunately respect as an artist doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with being seen as an "ultra sweety guy" and I suspect it may have hurt him in that regard.

Four things come to mind that hurt Alice being taken more seriously as an artist: golf, religion, joking around a lot (and being seen as not taking his own work seriously), the nice guy thing.

You have to stick with Alice and read between the lines to see the artistry of his work.
From what I've read over the last many years and with his founding and involvement with Solid Rock I think it would be easy to surmise that Alice's religion means much more to him that "being taken more seriously as an artist".

Alice has always been a genuinely nice guy from the start. Are you saying he should become a sullen prick to "be taken seriosuly as an artist"?

Should he quit playing golf--a game he has enjoyed and excelled at for many years--just so he could "be taken more seriously as an artist"? Did you ever stop to think that perhaps golf could become a second career (playing or otherwise) after he retires from the character?

I think Alice's reputation both as an artist and a human being has done just fine by him living the life HE wants to lead. He is and always has been a breath of fresh air in a world filled with polluted egos, sullen "atistic" narcissists, and blowhards of all stripes.

Alice lives the life he wants to live--not the life that others expect or wish him to live.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:25 pm

I also has to be taken into account that with Alice bringing forth his religious beliefs and openly discussing them (there are many outstanding videos on Youtube with Alice and Sheryl talking religion) that they are going to become more and more involved in discussions of Alice Cooper. I understand and respect the guidelines of this message board and also understand how divisive the issue could be but it is an important aspect to take into account to understand Alice's writing and persona especially over the last 20 years.

I have no problem even going near the topic of religion. If you look at the postings that start the religious debates they are usually started by people who are disapraging Alice and his religion. I will not stand by a let a bigot(s) take cheap shots and intolerant remarks without responding to them. If this gets me kicked off the forum--so be it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:46 pm

> I stated clearly believe what you want, leave the rest of us out of it,

This is one of the most obvious examples of your hypocrisy. You are a vile individual given that quite recently, you made quite a serious allegation. For the second time in a few days, you have flagrantly broken the rules of this board by expanding the debate away from the subject of the thread towards a banned subject.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:50 pm

>Four things come to mind that hurt Alice being taken more seriously as an artist: golf, religion, joking around a lot (and being seen as not taking his own work seriously), the nice guy thing.

I don't think his faith has anything to do with it except with individuals (like one or two here) who have an extremely narrow view of how way the world should be. I don't see Yusuf Islam, Prince, gospel artists and numerous others who have expressed religious views not "being taken more seriously".

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:02 pm

I Agree with AMUK. Religion has not damaged Alice career AT ALL

But I Think that that "playing the nice guy" as someone said in an excesive way may have affect his career. I've know LOTS of "non-diehardfans" that have gone away from ALice music because they think that he doesn't take his job seriously (at least outside the stage) I Also think that sometimes he jokes TOO much about his music. Sometimes is better to keep yourself in silence and let the mystic grow larger and lagrer rather than give your"comic interpretation to the world"

PS: Just an opinion, don't kill me

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:16 pm

Lucius Morthem wrote:I Agree with AMUK. Religion has not damaged Alice career AT ALL

But I Think that that "playing the nice guy" as someone said in an excesive way may have affect his career. I've know LOTS of "non-diehardfans" that have gone away from ALice music because they think that he doesn't take his job seriously (at least outside the stage) I Also think that sometimes he jokes TOO much about his music. Sometimes is better to keep yourself in silence and let the mystic grow larger and lagrer rather than give your"comic interpretation to the world"

PS: Just an opinion, don't kill me
I think the proper place to leave the character is on the stage. Why would a man living his normal personal life want to play a character? Also, I think that even since the beginning Alice looked at his character, music and fame with a tounge-in-cheeck attitude. He NEVER took it seriously. For the most part the music and shows were written for specific incarnations of the character. It is no different than an actor playing a role. Should Al Pacino spend the rest of his life acting like he's Michael Corleone when he is out in public?

In all realtity--Alice Cooper never set out to set a "serious" tone. There was always humor. Alice has always laughed at the absurdities of life and fame. That's what makes him great. He was never a brooding blowhard that was forever chewing off his fingers worrying about the plight of bumble bees in the Andes Mountains. He was about FUN and escape.

It's my opinion that a lot of fans take the Alice Cooper character way too seriously. It is a work of fiction. It's a fictional character portrayed by a brilliant man with an incredible sense of humor.

Step back for a minute and look at it--the man made a whole career and untold millions of dollars by putting on eye make-up, sequins, and leather, at times hacking up baby dolls and at others dancing with men dressed as chickens with machine guns all while belting out songs about summer vacation, girls, monsters in attics, spiders and dead people--ohh and then chopping off his head. Now I ask you--how can anybody not find that funny! It's a big joke--and big business. Alice deserves to laugh as hard and as long as he likes.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:53 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:> I stated clearly believe what you want, leave the rest of us out of it,

This is one of the most obvious examples of your hypocrisy. You are a vile individual given that quite recently, you made quite a serious allegation. For the second time in a few days, you have flagrantly broken the rules of this board by expanding the debate away from the subject of the thread towards a banned subject.
My my getting a bit personal aren't you? I didn't start the Palin thread and it was Mr. Barlow who introduced the religious subject (in a very inflammatory way) into this thread - so not me breaking any rules :p