Raise Your Fist & Yell adoration thread.

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Towelie
Trash
Trash

Raise Your Fist & Yell adoration thread.

Post by Towelie » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:24 pm

I slept on this one for about a year, not being overly-impressed when I first bought it. But lately I haven't been able to stop playing it. So many great, anthemic, heavy tunes!

Freedom is a great track, one of my favourite opening cuts on any Alice album. What's your interpretation of the lyrical content? Seems like a pretty blatant political statement to me. Definitely one of the album highlights.

Prince Of Darkness is ridiculously hook-laden and I know Kane Roberts gets a lot of stick for his flashy guitar antics, but his lead work on this track is utterly brilliant. :rock:

The Gail trilogy is also brilliant and IMO better than anything from Trash and Hey Stoopid, culminating with the best track on the album Roses On White Lace.

Even some of the more throwaway tracks, such as Not That Kind Of Love and Time To Kill are of a much higher calibre than a lot of the albums cuts on Trash.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Raise Your Fist & Yell adoration thread.

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:05 pm

> Seems like a pretty blatant political statement to me.

It is his response to the Parents Music Resource Center which at the time was prominent.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:38 pm

This album and TLT are my fave records after the comeback. Side 2 of this record can be put up against anything post original band.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:09 pm

As this is a thread on the adoration of RYFAY I won't comment on,what is, my least favourite Alice album!

Towelie
Trash
Trash

Post by Towelie » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:36 pm

dadascot wrote:As this is a thread on the adoration of RYFAY I won't comment on,what is, my least favourite Alice album!
Please don't refrain. I'm intrigued to know what it is you dislike about it....

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:41 pm

I bought this album the day it was released and was floored when I heard it. It was everything that Constrictor should have been and much more. This was a true hard rock/metal album in a genre that fit Alice perfectly. The live show was just incredible. The Youtube videos do not do it justice. It was a very intense show---much more so than The Nightmare Returns. I think that The Nightmare Returns wins on style points --but the Raise Your Fist shows just ripped your throat out! I was fortunate to see two shows in Philly and watch one from the photo pit. I will never forget the look in Alice's eyes--he was just vicious. The character became unabashedly ruthless--and the arrangements of the songs ripped your face off. It was loud, nasty and probably the best Alice show I have ever seen.

I'll go one farther than Toronto Bob and say that Side 2 can go up against anything including the original band. It's one of Alice's finest moments. Also, a lot of the credit has to go to Kane Roberts. Kane was vital to Alice's comeback and deserves much more credit than he is given by a lot of fans. The comeback peaked with Trash, but it was Kane who helped him get to that point. Without Kane Roberts it wouldn't have happened.

After RYFAY it was a major letdown when Trash was released. There was a lot of build up to Trash--especially the Desmond Child aspect and the special guests. "Poison" was a decent songs and the video--although very cheesy--was passable for the era. The one thing it was not was Alice Cooper. I don't think any long time Alice fan expected the corporate crapfest that was unleashed on the world. I remember thinking that Poison would be the commercial single and the rest of the album would have a harder edge--especially after coming after RYFAY and that wicked tour. I was wrong. Very wrong. I remember celebrating the fact that Alice was back on the top of the charts and the talk of the music world and hating--really hating--the album that got him there. I'm sure a lot of long time fans felt the same way.

At any rate--RYFAY is a much overlooked gem in the Alice catalog. The live show was legendary. The tightest, loudest and kick-ass band ever assembled by Alice. I'm hoping that someday an official release of that tour will be released.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:31 pm

For me, this release was hit and miss. The best material was on side two of the album; Prince of Darkness, Time to Kill, Gail, Roses on White Lace.. Really great stuff, but you had to wait to get to it.. Hate the album cover..

The tour - best I've ever seen him.. So alive and hungry.. Guns and Roses opened for him on the Chicago date I was at, and Alice's band just beat the shit out of them like they were on a mission.. It was a proud moment..

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:38 pm

I'm Pain wrote:For me, this release was hit and miss. The best material was on side two of the album; Prince of Darkness, Time to Kill, Gail, Roses on White Lace.. Really great stuff, but you had to wait to get to it.. Hate the album cover..
Fully Agree! :8):
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:05 pm

'Freedom' made a reasonably good single, 'Gail' has a lo-fi charm, whilst 'Prince Of Darkness' is barnstorming for a couple of minutes until KR's widdly, widdly guitar histrionics sucks the life out of it. The rest? For me, it's hair metal horse manure; part two of Alice's Faustian musical pact.

It's Poundland Alice - a cheap, tacky cover with lyrics and music to match. Alice is in fine voice, but almost all the subtlety, stylishness, quirkiness, wittiness, tongue-in-cheek dark humour - the qualities that sets AC apart from the also-rans - has been deliberately bleached out. Instead, we get bludgeoned with lots of 'in your face' metal mediocrity and misogyny, all designed to appeal to those mid-West, Motley Crue-loving, mall kids. (Still, only one more part to go until the real Alice begins to re-emerge.)

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:40 am

concolz wrote:'Freedom' made a reasonably good single, 'Gail' has a lo-fi charm, whilst 'Prince Of Darkness' is barnstorming for a couple of minutes until KR's widdly, widdly guitar histrionics sucks the life out of it. The rest? For me, it's hair metal horse manure; part two of Alice's Faustian musical pact.

It's Poundland Alice - a cheap, tacky cover with lyrics and music to match. Alice is in fine voice, but almost all the subtlety, stylishness, quirkiness, wittiness, tongue-in-cheek dark humour - the qualities that sets AC apart from the also-rans - has been deliberately bleached out. Instead, we get bludgeoned with lots of 'in your face' metal mediocrity and misogyny, all designed to appeal to those mid-West, Motley Crue-loving, mall kids. (Still, only one more part to go until the real Alice begins to re-emerge.)
I agree that the cover art is awful but I think this was another inside joke that was missed by the fans/public. I remember reading an interview at the time that the album cover was "awful" on purpose. The promotion of the album was geared to metalheads and those that worshipped independent European metal bands and the cover was a nod to the awful looking/cheesy/poor quality artwork that 90% of those albums contained. The album was not marketed as "hair metal" but straight ahead metal/hard rock. The album has nothing in common with Bon Jovi, Europe and the rest of the crap of that era. It was in-your-face metal--and the tour was the furtherst thing from a mainstream friendly concert. Live In The Flesh was very intense, brutal and graphic. It was the furthest thing from hair metal.

Constrictor was hair metal but the Nightmare Returns show was not and the Live In The Flesh made that tour look like a comedy. I think Alice and Shep were on the fence about which way to go and were testing the winds so to speak. Once Alice rebuilt his brand and reputation to the point they could lauch him back into superstardom they decided to go totally mainstream---and it worked beautifully.

I remember something being written at the time about how in every television appearance, personal appearance, etc that Alice would always be seen in the same "costume" which was what he wore on the cover of Trash. This was all done in the name of marketing and building "the brand". The whole Trash album and tour was an incredibly calculated piece of corporate business savy--which worked like a charm.

I look at it this way--the hair metal years and namely the success of Trash solidified Alice as a legend. It was this period that made it possible for Alice to continue doing Alice for the rest of his career. Even though I hate it--I love what it did for Alice and his career.

As far as the "real" Alice is concerned--which is the real Alice? 1969 Alice? 1974 Alice? Welcome To My Nightmare Alice? Maurice Escargot? Gary Numan Alice? Special Forces Alice (my favorite look by the way), Hair metal Alice? 2014 Alice? Alice Cooper always has and still is much more than the classic "horror" Alice. I can't wait for the day when Alice lets his hair turn to it's natural gray, cuts it short,takes off the make-up, puts on a jacket and tie and does an album of crooning standards and announce that this is the real Alice. I'd love to see him do this just to piss everybody off.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:11 pm

As I've said many times, Raise Your Fist And Yell is my favorite album and Roses On White Lace is my favorite Alice song. I also think Kane Roberts is the best guitar player Alice had and is one of my all time favorites too.

As for the cover, yeah it sucks haha!! I think they should have used the Alice face/skull that was inside the vinyl and they should have went with the original name they were gonna use "Summer Blood"
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:35 pm

HORRORHOLIC wrote:As I've said many times, Raise Your Fist And Yell is my favorite album and Roses On White Lace is my favorite Alice song. I also think Kane Roberts is the best guitar player Alice had and is one of my all time favorites too.
"
"POD" and "RAWL" are my favorite tracks on that album. Kane Roberts is a terrific guitar player. I met him a last year at the Chiller convention and he was an awesome dude. He said he would just lay down some guitar music and Coop did the rest which was harmonizing and lyrics.
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:08 pm

I respect any style that Alice decides to go in. But I really like RYFAY cause it's in your face, without a ballad and just straight up hard rock horror. I find it to be very motivating and Its a style that I wish Alice would have gone in more often in the early 90s.

I think that if he would have followed RYFAY with a similar album, it would have been an Alice album for the ages. Sometimes Alice should just be crazy, intense and evil without a ballad or an intricate concept in his albums. But then again, at this point in his career I can't see him pulling off an album like that again. Kane is truly a gifted guitar player and really added some of that 80s grit to RYFAY, which I'll never get tired of hearing.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Towelie wrote:
dadascot wrote:As this is a thread on the adoration of RYFAY I won't comment on,what is, my least favourite Alice album!
Please don't refrain. I'm intrigued to know what it is you dislike about it....
As you have probably gathered as you are working your way through the albums, Alice has a multitude of styles that appeal to different tastes. This album was geared towards the heaviest metal slasher bands that were prevalent at the time. Personally I never liked that type of music and this album typifies that. The lyrics are one dimensional, there is a lack of tongue in cheek humour. The songs, particularly side one, are pretty much on a one note pile driving beat lacking subtlety and melody. Alice just snarls his way through song after song after song. The worst album cover I have ever seen! Kane Roberts one dimensional playing screeching over everything. At the time Alice was quoting from the slasher films which were in vogue. Alice's character had changed from being Norman Bates to Jason Voorhees, and personally I find Psycho far more intriguing than Friday the thirteenth! I hated this album when it came out but last year there was a lot of positivity about it on this forum so I thought to give it another go, dug it out and gave it several spins then put it back in its sleeve again where it will lie for a long time! I just don't get it!

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:11 pm

The things you dislike about it (the slasher film influence and the lack of tongue in cheek humor)are the things I love about it. I think Alice uses too much tongue in cheek at times and with a name like Horrorholic I'm sure I don't have to explain the rest :)I've always though Alice was at his best when he's doing something heavy or something slow and creepy!!
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:17 pm

This has been my favorite AC album for years...no matter how good other material is, I can never get enough of this great work from the master...with Freedom being my favorite song of his, the energy, the chorus, the lyrics, it just feels like the perfect little AC song.

The darkness that makes up the second side of the album is nothing short of genius. Every time I've met Alice, I always always bring up this album...guess it will never be revisited again live but then again, He's Back made a BIG return to the setlist so anything is possible.
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:28 pm

HORRORHOLIC wrote:The things you dislike about it (the slasher film influence and the lack of tongue in cheek humor)are the things I love about it. I think Alice uses too much tongue in cheek at times and with a name like Horrorholic I'm sure I don't have to explain the rest :)I've always though Alice was at his best when he's doing something heavy or something slow and creepy!!
That's the great thing about Alice. His music is far more diverse than most people,could ever realise. Also we never really know which way he'll go next, keeps it all fresh!

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Terrific album that I still enjoy listening to from time to time. I never understood the dislike for Kane Roberts either. His style fit well with the 80's. If you have never heard it, check out Kane Roberts "Saints and Sinners" album.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Thought it was a decent effort-better production anyway, but found it very forced throughout, but do agree that Side Two material rocks. Saw a bootleg of the tour which was shot from the back and he DID seem more vicious than on The Nightmare Returns tour .
Glad he did not stay in this direction...as pointed out, the two metal platters served their purpose and even though I find TRASH pretty hard to listen to, it was an important album for him.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:32 pm

The cover is cool, guys.

This is a metal album (not hair metal) and I can see how you wouldn't like it if that genre isn't your cup of tea. I think it's pretty good though. Are songs like Freedom cheesy? Absolutely. So what? There's a line in an old William Holden movie called Breezy about how "being old is about feeling foolish" that has always stuck with me. Almost everything we thought was cool when we are kids looks lame in retrospect. But it wasn't then. You can't explain it to your kids or grandkids - you just had to be there and you had to be young.

IMO, this was the last time rock n roll was really rebellious. RYFAY is the kid in Teenage Lament cranking up the volume to 11 after hearing his parent yell "You gotta turn that damn thing down."

Freedom is a good opening track, but I could have done without the bells. Not That Kind of Love would have fit in well on Trash. The "Yuck!" intro should have been cut, but I admit that the line delivery makes me laugh. It's almost like something you would hear on Ren and Stimpy. As others have said, the second half of the album is stronger than the first. I'm not crazy about Prince of Darkness but everything after that is good. Roses on White Lace is great.

Do I miss the great Alice Cooper lyrics? Sure. But this isn't that type of album. This is an album about slamming the front door of your parent's house, hopping into a car full of your buddies, and speeding off into the night. Hell, you might even get laid.