Why aren't there more Alice Cooper guitar tab books?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Towelie
Trash
Trash

Why aren't there more Alice Cooper guitar tab books?

Post by Towelie » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:55 pm

From what I can tell there are only two compilation books out there (both with very similar songs), but I haven't seen a single tablature book for any of his actual albums, either solo or with the band.

Does anyone know if any books were published back in the day and are now out of print?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Why aren't there more Alice Cooper guitar tab books?

Post by Si » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Towelie wrote:From what I can tell there are only two compilation books out there (both with very similar songs), but I haven't seen a single tablature book for any of his actual albums, either solo or with the band.

Does anyone know if any books were published back in the day and are now out of print?
Not really answering the question but have you looked here and here?

Part of the problem is that most books are long out of print.

Towelie
Trash
Trash

Post by Towelie » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:06 pm

Si wrote:
Towelie wrote:From what I can tell there are only two compilation books out there (both with very similar songs), but I haven't seen a single tablature book for any of his actual albums, either solo or with the band.

Not really answering the question but have you looked here and here?

Part of the problem is that most books are long out of print.
There's some really cool stuff there - thanks for that.

It'd be cool if an official anthology-style tab book was published, covering songs from his entire career as opposed to the usual songs, Poison, Elected, No More Mr Nice Guy etc.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:45 am

My copy of Alice Cooper Complete is so old it's falling apart. That doesn't stop me from pulling it out from time to time as a reference. *brick*
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Towelie
Trash
Trash

Post by Towelie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:25 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:

My copy of Alice Cooper Complete is so old it's falling apart. That doesn't stop me from pulling it out from time to time as a reference. *brick*
What songs did it have? I assume it's out of print??

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:34 am

>Does anyone know if any books were published back in the day and are now out of print?

Yes. Apart from the ones referred to on this site, there were also ones for "Welcome To My Nightmare", "Alice Cooper Goes To Hell", "Lace And Whiskey", "From The Inside", and two which were (if I remember correctly) a combination of songs from "Love It To Death", "Killer" and "School's Out".

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:36 am

>What songs did it have?

That was answered by one of the links Si gave.

> I assume it's out of print??

Yes but it isn't actually that hard to find.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:58 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Does anyone know if any books were published back in the day and are now out of print?

Yes. Apart from the ones referred to on this site, there were also ones for "Welcome To My Nightmare", "Alice Cooper Goes To Hell", "Lace And Whiskey", "From The Inside", and two which were (if I remember correctly) a combination of songs from "Love It To Death", "Killer" and "School's Out".
All those are listed on the site in the link I posted above.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:04 am

Ultimate Guitar website has loads of tabs as well.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:05 pm

>All those are listed on the site in the link I posted above.

Yes - sorry about that.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:23 pm

I am 99% certain I have the early British songbook with B/W cover and other photos inside. I can't check because it's stored in the loft!
But from my recollection I don't think it would be called tab today because -and other musicians on here may be able to help out-it was the old style of sheet music with a bassline, treble clef with melody and chord boxes above (sometimes I seem to remember they didn't even have them;just the name of the chord)not the kind of more detailed breakdown on modern tabs. Maybe my memory is playing tricks. After all it is 40 years since I struggled to get my fingers to barre the F and Bb chords on "Ballad of Dwight Fry"!

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:33 pm

Tab books are a relatively recent creation. AFAIK, all of the Alice Cooper songbooks and sheet music are just standard music notation. I know all of the books published in the '70s and '80s are.

Hunter

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:59 pm

Maybe also worth noting that many of the old music books were full of errors which were obvious if you tried to play from them!

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:29 pm

Si wrote:Maybe also worth noting that many of the old music books were full of errors which were obvious if you tried to play from them!
I've got the UK-only songbook, and they certainly play fast and loose with some of the lyrics. I think my favourite is 'I need to do the dandy in a gold Rolls Royce' - the mind boggles!

It's laid out as a standard piano score, with a separate vocal line above, plus guitar chord boxes on top. I've just given 'Is It My Body' an airing on the old Joanna!

thenightmare92
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by thenightmare92 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:57 am

concolz wrote:
Si wrote:Maybe also worth noting that many of the old music books were full of errors which were obvious if you tried to play from them!
I've got the UK-only songbook, and they certainly play fast and loose with some of the lyrics. I think my favourite is 'I need to do the dandy in a gold Rolls Royce' - the mind boggles!

It's laid out as a standard piano score, with a separate vocal line above, plus guitar chord boxes on top. I've just given 'Is It My Body' an airing on the old Joanna!
I have the 'Welcome to my Nightmare' songbook and it has some terrible lyric mistakes as well if I remember correctly