New Alice fan... what album should I get next?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Towelie
Trash
Trash

New Alice fan... what album should I get next?

Post by Towelie » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:27 pm

I started getting into AC about two years ago after hearing one of my favourite singer/songwriters Tori Amos covering Only Women Bleed. Before that, I only really knew Poison and School's Out. I ended up checking out the original and, well, the rest is history.

I am slowly collecting all the albums and wondering which album you guys think I should get next?

This is what I have so far (I've listed them in order of my favourite to least favourite to give you an idea of my taste):

Loved:
1. Welcome To My Nightmare
2. Brutal Planet
3. Billion Dollar Babies
4. Love It To Death
5. Dragontown
6. Hey Stoopid
Really liked:
7. Killer
8. Along Came A Spider
9. Welcome 2 My Nightmare
Disappinted by:
10. Trash
11. Raise Your Fist & Yell

Favourite Alice songs so far: Black Juju (my absolute number 1 favourite AC song), Brutal Planet, Billion Dollar Babies, Every Women Has A Name, Cold Machines, Wind-Up Toy, Desperado, Only Women Bleed, Salvation, Ballad Of Dwight Fry, Under My Wheels, When Hell Comes Home, The Black Widow, Years Ago, I Know Where You Live, Deeper....
Last edited by Towelie on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Re: New Alice fan... what album should I get next?

Post by SickThings » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:33 pm

The Last Temptation and From the Inside

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:38 pm

SickThings wrote:The Last Temptation and From the Inside
These are fantastic. And if you've heard about the "black out albums" from the 80s and are interested, my faves of those four are "Special Forces" and "Dada."
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:32 am

There is only one album that is an absolute must own. That album is DaDa. Buy it, listen to it, let it sink in and then let us all know what you think of it.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:07 am

"School's Out" classic album!
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:21 am

Since you've listed 'WTMN' as your favourite so far, then I'd suggest getting 'Goes To Hell' which is of a similar vaudeville style; it's pretty eclectic and very underrated, as is 'School's Out', one of the band's brattish masterpieces.

Then try 'From The Inside' - Alice's most confessional album - and 'Dada', the last of the 'lost' early 80's trio, his 'dark' masterpiece. 'The Last Temptation' - one of Alice's 'message' albums - has just been remastered and is well worth buying, as is 'Brutally Live' an excellent DVD/CD live set of the 'Brutal Planet' tour.

Ones to definitely avoid:- 'Lace And Whiskey', 'The Alice Cooper Show' and 'Constrictor' - all are appalling, in their own ways. Happy listening.

Towelie
Trash
Trash

Post by Towelie » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:34 am

concolz wrote:Since you've listed 'WTMN' as your favourite so far, then I'd suggest getting 'Goes To Hell' which is of a similar vaudeville style; it's pretty eclectic and very underrated, as is 'School's Out', one of the band's brattish masterpieces.

Then try 'From The Inside' - Alice's most confessional album - and 'Dada', the last of the 'lost' early 80's trio, his 'dark' masterpiece. 'The Last Temptation' - one of Alice's 'message' albums - has just been remastered and is well worth buying, as is 'Brutally Live' an excellent DVD/CD live set of the 'Brutal Planet' tour.

Ones to definitely avoid:- 'Lace And Whiskey', 'The Alice Cooper Show' and 'Constrictor' - all are appalling, in their own ways. Happy listening.
I think eventually I will end up getting all the albums, I'm a bit of a completest geek in that way. But obviously, I want to get the most essential albums first.

I'm very intrigued to hear Dada. Of all the albums I've seen discussed, this one seems to be the one that's most devisive, some claiming it a masterpiece, others saying it's terrible.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:15 pm

It's fun to hear about a new fan discovering Alice. Seems like you have quite a few albums already and you have the curiosity to hear more, so the battle is won. What album you pick up next will just be another piece of the puzzle. The fun thing about discovering an artist like Alice is that there's twists and turns in the road so each album will contain surprises.

For my tastes every album from the 1st through to DaDa is worthwhile. They are not all great, but they are part of the story. After that it's hit or miss.

What's cool is that from the many albums you already have, there's still some gems to be discovered.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Towelie wrote:
I'm very intrigued to hear Dada. Of all the albums I've seen discussed, this one seems to be the one that's most devisive, some claiming it a masterpiece, others saying it's terrible.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)
Mark me down for masterpiece

Towelie
Trash
Trash

Post by Towelie » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:What's cool is that from the many albums you already have, there's still some gems to be discovered.
And what, in your opinion, are those gems (songs and albums

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:50 pm

Albums?
The aforementioned DaDa
School's Out
From the Inside
(I would list MoL, EA, GTH, SF, ZCS, FtF too but I would sound too much like a fanboi :grin: )

song wise
My Stars (from SO)
Blue Turk (SO)
Luney Tune (SO)
Return of the Spiders (EA)
Serious (FTI)
Go to Hell (GTH)
Wake Me Gently (GTH)
Big Apple Dreamin' (MoL)
Hard Hearted Alice (MoL)
Zorro's Ascent (ZCS)
Who Do You Think We Are (SF)
Generation Landslide '81 (SF)

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:12 am

Avoid Constrictor if you don't like RYFAY. FTI is horrible despite what anyone says. Avoid the Toronto Rock n Roll Festival like the plague. All the official live albums are poor. Goes To Hell is weak. WTMN is weak as ACAS. You should get MOL though it is the weakest of band albums when they were making waves.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:44 am

pitkin88 wrote:Avoid Constrictor if you don't like RYFAY. FTI is horrible despite what anyone says. Avoid the Toronto Rock n Roll Festival like the plague. All the official live albums are poor. Goes To Hell is weak. WTMN is weak as ACAS. You should get MOL though it is the weakest of band albums when they were making waves.
It is really up to the listener at this point. Purely an opinion that a lot of people would disagree with.
Give me a break!

(....WTMN is weak? all the official live albums are poor?) :smack:

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:16 am

evil syd wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:Avoid Constrictor if you don't like RYFAY. FTI is horrible despite what anyone says. Avoid the Toronto Rock n Roll Festival like the plague. All the official live albums are poor. Goes To Hell is weak. WTMN is weak as ACAS. You should get MOL though it is the weakest of band albums when they were making waves.
It is really up to the listener at this point. Purely an opinion that a lot of people would disagree with.
Give me a break!

Sorry I meant WTMN2. Yes all the official live albums are meh. He asked for opinions.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:05 am

pitkin88 wrote:
evil syd wrote:
Give me a break!

Sorry I meant WTMN2. Yes all the official live albums are meh. He asked for opinions.
WTMN2.I had this gut feeling it was about that one. Oh well, and when you say official live albums that means that there is a whole a lot of them. That's including the live stuff on the old school box set. There's the live stuff on the deluxe BDB. There's the live discs that accompanied the live dvds. All official...So many and some where uncut and recorded from soundboards and as pure as you could get.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:00 pm

Welcome to the world of Sick Things, where everyone has a contradictory opinion on Alice Cooper! Some folk - obviously former inmates of 'The Quiet Room' - even rave about 'Constrictor'. Still, since I'm one of the very lunatic fringe who considers 'Along Came A Spider' a work of genius, what do I know!! ( P.S. Since no-one's mentioned 'Dirty Diamonds' yet I'll give it a plug, especially the hilarious 'The Saga Of Jesse Jane'.)

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Definitely get Schools Out. One of my faves, and an absolute classic - still have my original copy complete with paper pants. Listening to Blue Turk right now.......*goes off into lala land, humming along with Dennis' fabulous baseline :bam:*
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Dada is a favorite of mine as well. You definitely should consider picking up "The Last Temptation" and "From the Inside."

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:25 pm

From The Inside, despite being one of his slickest productions, is IMHO mandatory Cooper listening. Last Temptation is also mostly fantastic & if you're looking for something left-of-center (by Coop standards anyway), try Flush The Fashion & Special Forces.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:09 pm

Got enough to chew on yet??? Flush The Fashion is non-stop each song slides into the next. Also, it's kinda short - a quick blast and it's over, sort of like a Ramones Lp but AC all the way. :alice: Don't forget with all this advice let us know what you think as you progress!!!
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...