Record Label

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Record Label

Post by revinkevin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:02 pm

I have asked in another thread and have seen no reply. Is Alice presently signed to a record label or is he not. If so, which one ? IMO the delay with the upcoming release when it is already done and Alice saying songs might be released in stages suggests to me that he is not presently signed. I know the last one was on Universal and the ones before that seemed to have varied between different ones.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Record Label

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:53 pm

If so that might be why he is holding it in the can. My guess is no as why would a label front money for an album to be released six months or more after it has been recorded.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 am

I'm guessing no label as amuck hasn't chimed in.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:45 am

>I'm guessing no label as amuck hasn't chimed in.

Well, neither has Alice's assistant and he reads a lot of these posts and sometimes responds as well. Also, I'm sorry I wasn't online specifically at a time that fits in with your requirement. I also tend to not answer questions I don't know the answer to unless asked directly. On some occasions, I may know the answer but not be able to reveal it. I can try and find out if anyone is desperate to know (it is a fair question, though) but I'm in agreement with your guess.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:50 am

Yup, seems we have similar suspicions. Probably no label. If true it now makes sense on why we are looking at late this year or perhaps next year for a release of something that is already in the can and the suggested release of songs periodically on other outlets. Hard to believe with all the crap music out there that Alice might be label less. You would think his reputation along with this supposedly all star line up would generate some attention. If it can't do that now, I have my doubts if it will next year. ::((:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:41 pm

>You would think his reputation along with this supposedly all star line up would generate some attention.

Well, it can't be assumed it isn't just because there hasn't yet been an announcement. When it's the right time, I'm sure the information will be released.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:40 pm

Morrisey was without a label for awhile and I would guess he is a little bigger than Alice so this is nothing new. If sales are only going to be around 50-60k the labels might think it not worth the time.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:32 pm

pitkin88, what planet are you on?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:41 pm

>Morrisey was without a label for awhile and I would guess he is a little bigger than Alice

Maybe in some places - it depends.

>so this is nothing new.

Exactly.

>If sales are only going to be around 50-60k the labels might think it not worth the time.

It might depend on the label.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:41 pm

My first thought was that if there's an all star band, there could be contractual obligations to other labels by one or more of the musicians who played on this project. That could slow up the process in getting this released. I only say that because I don't think it's been mentioned yet who is actually guesting on the album.. Only my opinion..

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:58 pm

>there could be contractual obligations to other labels by one or more of the musicians who played on this project.

That is a very good point.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Seriously doubt it.It would be a major blunder if that happened. It seems likely there is no label right now as astounding as that may be to some.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:05 pm

pitkin88 wrote:Seriously doubt it.It would be a major blunder if that happened. It seems likely there is no label right now as astounding as that may be to some.
>there could be contractual obligations to other labels by one or more of the musicians who played on this project.

That is a very good point.

How long did we have to wait for The Life & Crimes Of Alice Cooper boxset because of negotiations to secure rights from different record labels? Very similar situation with musicians contracts. Ever hear of The Traveling Wilburys? Sure, they admitted it later but who didn't know?
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:39 pm

>It seems likely there is no label right now as astounding as that may be to some.

I agree but that doesn't mean that what I'm Pain said is untrue.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:40 pm

>How long did we have to wait for The Life & Crimes Of Alice Cooper boxset because of negotiations to secure rights from different record labels?

Yes that's true although that was only one of the reasons.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:52 pm

What I find particularly odd is that someone can record a album with a top of the line producer and have a supposedly all star guest line up and NOT have a record label behind the proceedings. I would take it that all this would require a hefty cash payout upfront to do this. Maybe the Alice camp put up the money but I would be surprised if they floated the whole thing.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:08 am

Some of the guests probably played for Union scale or if Depp is on there he probably played for free.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:11 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>How long did we have to wait for The Life & Crimes Of Alice Cooper boxset because of negotiations to secure rights from different record labels?

Yes that's true although that was only one of the reasons.

Comparing that project with this one is a bit unfair with the sheer scope of labels, artists and time frame.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:13 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>It seems likely there is no label right now as astounding as that may be to some.

I agree but that doesn't mean that what I'm Pain said is untrue.

It doesn't but it is extremely unlikely. I'm sure you could ask someone in the know if you wanted rather than let this beyond flimsy theory carry on.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:25 am

I don't think Alice will struggle in finding a label if he's without one, maybe he's shopping around for the best deal.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV