Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

ALICE Says Covers Album Features A 'Jaw-Dropping' Lineup

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:16 am

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/alice- ... musicians/

ALICE COOPER Says His Upcoming Covers Album Features A 'Jaw-Dropping' Lineup Of Guest Musicians

Legendary rocker Alice Cooper took part in a press conference yesterday (Thursday, June 5) before his performance at this year's edition of the Sweden Rock Festival in Sölvesborg, Sweden. You can now watch video footage of the question-and-answer session below.

Asked about his upcoming covers album featuring songs that were originally written and recorded by THE DOORS, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon and THE WHO, members of the so-called "Hollywood vampires" of the early and mid-'70s, Cooper said: "We have no release date on that. It's done; the album is done. And I can't tell you who's on it or what the songs are, because it's probably not gonna come out until the fall or the beginning of next year.

"When we put this tour together, here for Europe, and then the next tour is 72 [North American] shows with MÖTLEY CRÜE, that takes us all the way to December. There's no way wrapping a show around it until next year.

"We'll release, I think, parts of it.

"The music business is so different now. You don't release a single and then put the album out; you just kind of release songs out there and then you have an album.

"There will be an album; it's fully done and ready to go. And the lineup is jaw-dropping; the people who are on this album."

Cooper's covers album will include "four or five new songs," which the legendary rocker wrote specifically for the new CD. He recently yold VH1 Radio Network's Dave Basner: "We decided that in order to set up the 'Hollywood Vampires' thing, you had to kind of tell the story, and you had to write songs that were going to set up the story, and then get into the covers. So we had fun sitting there writing these new songs around it. So it's going to be quite a package, this thing is."

Regarding how the idea for the covers album came about, Cooper told Yahoo! Music: "Producer Bob Ezrin said to me, 'You know, you're a rock 'n' roll singer. It would be great to hear you doing someone else's material once in a while. And then we thought, 'Well, we can't just do a covers album where we bounce around from song to song.' So Bob came up with the idea, 'Let’s concentrate it on all the guys that you drank with in L.A., the Hollywood Vampires, the ones that are all dead.' It’s really an ode to all my dead, drunk friends: Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, some of the SMALL FACES, Harry Nilsson, T. REX. These were all of my drinking buddies. I like the title 'All My Dead Drunk Friends'. It’s just offensive enough to work, but all those guys would have totally got it. They had the same sense of humor. If you told them you were going to do an album after they were gone called 'All My Dead Drunk Friends,' they would have died laughing."

Last year, Cooper said about the upcoming CD: "We do a thing in our show, which is a tribute to Hollywood Vampires, my drinking club. And it was Keith Moon, John Lennon, Harry Nilsson, Micky Dolenz — a very eclectic bunch of drunks. Half of them are dead, so we do four songs in the show in tribute to them. We do 'Break On Through', 'Revolution', 'My Generation' and Jimi Hendrix's 'Foxey Lady'. I just kind of said, 'We've never done a covers album, let's think about that.'"

Asked what some of the wish-list songs were, Cooper said: "I would keep it right to about '73, '74. I don't want to just go anywhere. I want to keep it right in that sort of drunk era, so it's specific. I would say 'Break On Through', that's a really good rock track there. The other ones, think of it — Harry Nilsson, there's a lot of good stuff there that could be rocked out. I think of songs as being clay. Take a song like 'Jump Into the Fire' and take that to a harder level, and that'll work."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/alice- ... 36WccWM.99
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: ALICE Says Covers Album Features A 'Jaw-Dropping' Lineup

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:33 am

Not much news here about from releasing in dribs and drabs.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:30 am

I'm just not excited about a covers album. I wasn't impressed with his rendition of songs he performed during his tour. Especially the tracks he selected, they were classic tracks and the reason that they were classics was because they had their own special stamp from the original band. He covered them with no speoial approach, just played them. I could see a cover band play it the same way at some bar and grill. I wanted his tracks, that's what I paid for. Covers to me is cool when they are once in a while thrown in. A talent like the Coop is a completely original artist and should produce original tracks with occasional covers in which he has made his own like "Hello Hurray". That track is special.
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:29 am

"He covered them with no speoial approach".
Maybe you mean musically, but theatrically it was special. I can't see many other performers being able to pull off a resurrection like that in a show.
I guess by nature of that theatrical setup, the songs had to be performed as close to the original style as they could muster - the name of the show suggests, too.

" I wanted his tracks, that's what I paid for."
I don't think that's quite true...you pay to see a performance by Alice, which is what you got. No-one's being short changed if it's a disappointment - not in terms of money anyway. It would be nice if it was though, I've felt rather ripped off by many performances in the past (not from Alice) and would have felt good to be entitled to have my money back.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:22 am

ElectedPlus wrote:"

I don't think that's quite true...you pay to see a performance by Alice, which is what you got. No-one's being short changed if it's a disappointment - not in terms of money anyway. It would be nice if it was though, I've felt rather ripped off by many performances in the past (not from Alice) and would have felt good to be entitled to have my money back.
good point! :8):

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:28 am

evil syd wrote:I'm just not excited about a covers album. I wasn't impressed with his rendition of songs he performed during his tour. Especially the tracks he selected, they were classic tracks and the reason that they were classics was because they had their own special stamp from the original band. He covered them with no speoial approach, just played them. I could see a cover band play it the same way at some bar and grill. I wanted his tracks, that's what I paid for. Covers to me is cool when they are once in a while thrown in. A talent like the Coop is a completely original artist and should produce original tracks with occasional covers in which he has made his own like "Hello Hurray". That track is special.
I really enjoyed the covers section. I would think that he chose the classics to sing because he would figure that if he wasn't playing his song live then he should play the songs that the audience would be most likely to recognise and identify with. I do agree with you though in that I hope the covers album is more diverse and digs out some hidden gems. Alice does have a very deep knowledge of the British music scene from that era. I would like to see a song along the lines of pretty ballerina.
He was very cool in the interview. I would love to see a show where he plays all the songs that he feels he can't play live! Imagine former lee warmer live!!! Perhaps the next tour he could do a section on 'forgotten rarities' :clap:

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:27 am

"I would think that he chose the classics to sing because he would figure that if he wasn't playing his song live then he should play the songs that the audience would be most likely to recognise and identify with. I do agree with you though in that I hope the covers album is more diverse and digs out some hidden gems."
Absolutely, if he was more imaginative with the cover choices onstage, the concept of Alice raising the dead would be that bit more confusing. But on this album, I think he can afford to dig out lesser known tracks.

Admittedly, if I hadn't read the liner notes or other people talking about it, I wouldn't have known that Pretty Ballerina or Hello Hurray were covers. Infact, even now I still have them in mind as Alice's songs... It would be nice if this album brings out similar results. I could have a long wait to find out though...

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:27 am

[darn double post]

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:16 pm

dadascot wrote:
I really enjoyed the covers section. I would think that he chose the classics to sing because he would figure that if he wasn't playing his song live then he should play the songs that the audience would be most likely to recognise and identify with. I do agree with you though in that I hope the covers album is more diverse and digs out some hidden gems. Alice does have a very deep knowledge of the British music scene from that era. I would like to see a song along the lines of pretty ballerina.
He was very cool in the interview. I would love to see a show where he plays all the songs that he feels he can't play live! Imagine former lee warmer live!!! Perhaps the next tour he could do a section on 'forgotten rarities' :clap:
That's cool that you enjoyed it. We all have different opinions that's what makes this board so cool. I doubt he will ever singssongs from his forgotten years because he doesn't even remember them. It's too bad because I love that era. I mean, for the songs. Well, you know what I mean. I would love "My Stars" revisted or "Dangerous Tonight". :devil:

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:22 pm

Well, he did say the album was finished.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:25 pm

>I doubt he will ever singssongs from his forgotten years because he doesn't even remember them.

Did you actually mean to say that? If you did, it isn't hard to learn those songs again.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:53 pm

So the album is confirmed done as most suspected. And he seems to say that songs will be released in parts before a album release. For me this begs the question, is Alice actually signed to a label ? And if yes, which one ?

Nice to see 4 or 5 new songs on it and that he wants to rock out and take some of the covers to a harder level. Amen to that.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:37 pm

I seriously doubt any of us will be dropping our jaws when we hear this album. A few yawns more like it. Hopefully there wont be three different versions you need to buy to get the complete album.

The other thing that will make it lose impact is if it is released in bits and piece. The new Pixies suffered fro this with 3 separate eps eventually becoming an album. No one seriously believes he is going to do a live set around this so why not just release it now? Sell it on the concession stand at Motley with, I am assuming, bigger venues and more punters. Holding it up makes little sense. He has paid to make his product and is now waiting six months or more to get paid back on it. Poor business.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:27 pm

Perhaps that Ouija board has finally contacted all the DDFs. Alternatively, they might be going down the Bonzo's route: http://youtu.be/xp9YXFeZkQM Instead of Hitler on vibes, Putin might be playing dictatorphone for '(Ukrainian) Revolution', whilst The Queen does a bit of crownbanging on 'Corgi Lady'. I hear The Pope can strike a few mean guitar poses, plus Clinton's still got that old sax. Maybe it's Dennis, Neal and a 'found' Michael? Hmmm.

I am still looking forward to the covers album, but the phrase 'jaw-dropping line-up' might just prove to be a hostage to fortune for Alice.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Dee Snyder ran a great interview & Sheryl was not only included but also beautiful! AC is excited about the results so let's just deal with the "Dribs & Drabs" until we have opportunity to savor the finished product. Maybe they'll drop it on iTunes unannounced like a couple of artists recently have??? ;)
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:55 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I doubt he will ever singssongs from his forgotten years because he doesn't even remember them.

Did you actually mean to say that? If you did, it isn't hard to learn those songs again.
The question is does he even want to.....Does even listen to them or even care to?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:39 am

>I seriously doubt any of us will be dropping our jaws when we hear this album.

In case you've misunderstood, nobody suggested that.

>The other thing that will make it lose impact is if it is released in bits and piece.

I think that is going to happen more and more as less and physical formats are made available. We have seen that with downloads and streaming where people can choose which individual tracks they want to buy rather than be forced to buy a whole album.

> so why not just release it now?

There could be any number of reasons.

>Poor business.

It is remarkable how he has survived in the industry without you to provide guidance.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Has anyone one heard if any of the original gang are playing on it? I haven't seen anything but he does seem to have been spending a bit of time with Denis.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:18 pm

No. Alice prefers to work w Johnny Depp.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:47 pm

>The question is does he even want to.

Again, it isn't a case only of what he wants. However, if you listen to the interview in the link, it's clear he likes those songs and he's always said those are among two of his favourite songs.

>Does even listen to them or even care to

I don't understand the relevance of this.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.