ALICE Says Covers Album Features A 'Jaw-Dropping' Lineup

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Re: ALICE Says Covers Album Features A 'Jaw-Dropping' Lineup

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:00 am

That's why I say the Joe Perry "slip up" was a purposeful leak. It's got some people excited like a little school girl.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:27 am

I'm looking forward to Alice's covers album. I'm interested, and intrigued, by probable 'guests' like Paul McCartney. This is 2014 though, not Beatles '64 or ACG '72. Paul and Alice are good people, great musicians, and their collaboration, I'm hoping, will be really exciting. But, the musical 'jaw-dropping' train left the station a long time ago - I believe Nirvana were the very last passengers. Impressive then? Highly likely. Astounding, astonishing and flabbergasting? Highly unlikely.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:54 am

My opinion on this album is completely different then it was when I 1st heard about it. I thought it was gonna be just another cover album but now that there will be some new song leading up to the covers and all these guests, I'm really looking forward to it now!!
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:18 pm

[quote="mr.barlow"] Also, it's selling songs that are already well known--an established and successful commodity. [/quote]

I hope this is jumping the gun a bit, actually - and that Alice gives us covers that are a little less well known. Away from the super hits and to dig a little deeper. Probably the covers section on tour needed well known songs to not alienate the audience, but in this case - given that we usually hear unfamiliar songs on albums - he can go a little more obscure.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:52 pm

From concolz:
But, the musical 'jaw-dropping' train left the station a long time ago

Nobody said that would be the case.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:35 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:That's why I say the Joe Perry "slip up" was a purposeful leak. It's got some people excited like a little school girl.
Even when told you're wrong, you still stick to your story although you have not a shred of evidence to prove otherwise.

You must be fun to live with.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:12 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:That's why I say the Joe Perry "slip up" was a purposeful leak. It's got some people excited like a little school girl.
I'd rather go through life being excited and happy like a little school girl than to go through life being a petty miserable old bastard.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:41 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Even when told you're wrong, you still stick to your story although you have not a shred of evidence to prove otherwise.

You must be fun to live with.
There's no story to stick with. I don't know whether Perry's mention of Macca's participation was purposeful or not and neither do you, but is it really that far fetched? An to see the positive reaction on this board would seem to show anecdotally that indeed such a slip up served a purpose.

This is all specualation on my part and yours, why you're digging in and insisting that "TORONTO BOB IS WRONG - I AM RIGHT" is frankly, idiotic.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:47 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
I'd rather go through life being excited and happy like a little school girl than to go through life being a petty miserable old bastard.
I doubt very much you go through life like an excited little school girl and as for your conclusions about me? Not sure how you reached those but you just don't have enough info to go on. You sure are butt sore for me expressing my views on evangelicals, if you want I can pm you on a detailed list of why I feel that way but I will refrain from commenting further in the open forum, you should too.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:52 am

Toronto Bob wrote:There's no story to stick with. I don't know whether Perry's mention of Macca's participation was purposeful or not and neither do you, but is it really that far fetched?
You don't know, yet you keep insisting like you do. Bizarre.

And truthfully, I don't think it makes much sense to leak info this far in advance when the album isn't due for release until sometime in 2015. And thus, that's why I made the comment I did. Not to mention, having Joe Perry making an off hand comment about it in an interview strikes me as a pretty laughable way to announce this information to the masses.
Toronto Bob wrote: An to see the positive reaction on this board would seem to show anecdotally that indeed such a slip up served a purpose.
Now you're making even less sense if you think the people that read this board would be the demographic they're hoping to impress with a supposed leak. It's the equivalent of preaching to the choir.
Toronto Bob wrote: This is all specualation on my part and yours, why you're digging in and insisting that "TORONTO BOB IS WRONG - I AM RIGHT" is frankly, idiotic.
I never said anything of the sort. You were the one that jumped all over me insisting YOU were oh so certain this was a purposeful leak in the normal condescending tone you write all your posts in.

Of course you're speculating, meaninglessly, considering someone involved in the behind the scenes details has indicated you were wrong, yet you continue to act as if this is up for debate.

You must be a riot at parties.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:53 am

mr.barlow wrote:From an album that was much maligned by a lot of fans this could turn out to be a HUGE album in Alice's career.

This could be a work of Shep's marketing genius. It touches all demographics and can appeal to a broad range of people. Also, it's selling songs that are already well known--an established and successful commodity.

Think about it--you have a member of THE BEATLES performing on a Beatles song. That alone is good for a nice chunk of sales --even if it is for the single song. You then have one of the most successful actors in the history of Hollywood with an enormous fervent fan base that includes people of all ages--but most importantly young girls and women (some of whom would never buy an Alice Cooper record or song). You have members of Aerosmith which brings in somemore of the older hard rock audience. Then a member of The Monkees--whio also have a fervent cult fan base. And who knows who else is still to be announced.

This to me is a perfect album for the digital download era. Each song can stand alone. Each song can be uniquely marketed to fans of each individual artist who appears on each song. This can be done through Facebook, Twitter, etc. Just think of every member of Johhny Depp groups on Facebook getting something in their newsfeed about their dear Johnny having a new record out with Alice Cooper. If just 20% of them bought an individual download of the song the numbers would be incredible! Ohh...lets not forget the fan groups of a little band called The Beatles. It's niche marketing at it's best!

And there are those that doubt the genius of Shep Gordon!

I think you might be over reaching with Paul increasing sales. You might want to look into the sales of his last few albums. Do you really believe his fans are going to pulling out their credit cards en masse for a guest appearance on an Alice Cooper album? I also think you are over reaching with Johnny Depp too. Does he even release music? The major coup is for Alice and others to be playing with Paul. It is a huge kick no doubt as they grew up listening to him. McCartney's best days are wayyyy behind him and as you pointed out in another thread there is no guaranty the best musicians will produce great music.

The likelyhood is that this album will sell around what Alice usually sells. Remember the hype of WTMN2? Ezrin/Wagner/Hunter!! Hardly set the world on fire did it?

As for the " genius " of Shep Gordon. This album will have sat in the can for 8-12 months. Where is the logic in that? If it so good get it out there.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:24 am

Wasn't Depp on Hunter's new album, as well as making a bonus track for Marilyn Manson's latest release?

I don't think his involvement boosted sales to a significant degree, but it certainly didn't do any harm.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:34 am

pitkin88 wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:From an album that was much maligned by a lot of fans this could turn out to be a HUGE album in Alice's career.

This could be a work of Shep's marketing genius. It touches all demographics and can appeal to a broad range of people. Also, it's selling songs that are already well known--an established and successful commodity.

Think about it--you have a member of THE BEATLES performing on a Beatles song. That alone is good for a nice chunk of sales --even if it is for the single song. You then have one of the most successful actors in the history of Hollywood with an enormous fervent fan base that includes people of all ages--but most importantly young girls and women (some of whom would never buy an Alice Cooper record or song). You have members of Aerosmith which brings in somemore of the older hard rock audience. Then a member of The Monkees--whio also have a fervent cult fan base. And who knows who else is still to be announced.

This to me is a perfect album for the digital download era. Each song can stand alone. Each song can be uniquely marketed to fans of each individual artist who appears on each song. This can be done through Facebook, Twitter, etc. Just think of every member of Johhny Depp groups on Facebook getting something in their newsfeed about their dear Johnny having a new record out with Alice Cooper. If just 20% of them bought an individual download of the song the numbers would be incredible! Ohh...lets not forget the fan groups of a little band called The Beatles. It's niche marketing at it's best!

Remember the hype of WTMN2? Ezrin/Wagner/Hunter!! Hardly set the world on fire did it?

Eh , outside the " world of music '" , very few people have heard of those guys .... And that would probably include journalists etc

Everyone on the planet knows McCartney !!

Surely that must bring a certain amount of profile ( all the way down to local papers etc ) , possibly translating in improved sales .

Either way , WHAT A MAJOR BOOST IN CREDIBILTY !!!!!!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:20 am

From pitkin88:
Where is the logic in that?

There could be plenty of "logic" for all you know. There is a world that exists beyond the end of your fingetrips and there could be all sorts of things going on that you don't know about.

>If it so good get it out there.

David Bowie made a great album called "Toy" which his record company refused to release.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:29 am

From Toronto Bob:
I don't know whether Perry's mention of Macca's participation was purposeful or not and neither do you,

I love the "ironing" in this - accusing someone of doing what you're doing.

>is it really that far fetched?

No, but wouldn't it make MORE sense if Alice had leaked it, given that he has a worldwide, syndicated radio show?

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:32 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Toronto Bob:
I don't know whether Perry's mention of Macca's participation was purposeful or not and neither do you,

I love the "ironing" in this - accusing someone of doing what you're doing.

>is it really that far fetched?

No, but wouldn't it make MORE sense if Alice had leaked it, given that he has a worldwide, syndicated radio show?
That wouldn't be a leak - that would just be an announcement

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:59 am

From Toronto Bob:
>That wouldn't be a leak - that would just be an announcement

Why? What if he had worded it in a similar way to how Perry did? What if he had said "It's a project we're keeping under wraps for now. There will be an announcement when the time is right." as well?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:11 pm

pitkin88 wrote:

I think you might be over reaching with Paul increasing sales. You might want to look into the sales of his last few albums. Do you really believe his fans are going to pulling out their credit cards en masse for a guest appearance on an Alice Cooper album? I also think you are over reaching with Johnny Depp too. Does he even release music? The major coup is for Alice and others to be playing with Paul. It is a huge kick no doubt as they grew up listening to him. McCartney's best days are wayyyy behind him and as you pointed out in another thread there is no guaranty the best musicians will produce great music.

The likelyhood is that this album will sell around what Alice usually sells. Remember the hype of WTMN2? Ezrin/Wagner/Hunter!! Hardly set the world on fire did it?

As for the " genius " of Shep Gordon. This album will have sat in the can for 8-12 months. Where is the logic in that? If it so good get it out there.
While I agree that Paul McCartney's best days are behind him and that his last few albums were lackluster, I think that fans of both Paul and The Beatles will have great interest in him performing on a legendary Beatles song that is in tribute of John (that is if the song is Revolution). I also think that if Alice chooses any Beatles song or songs that it would also be of great interest to Beatles fans to have Paul play on a new version of it. The interest will be even greater if RIngo Starr is also involved.

I stand by my statement that even though you have great artists involved that it can't guarantee great music, however, in this case they are performing an existing established hit song. If they go with a horrible arrangement or inferior production it could ruin the end result but I think it's a safe bet that the outcome will be decent.

As far as sales are concerned, it's hard to tell. Even since WTMN2 was released the industry has changed even futher towards an industry once again dominated by singles. I think what we will see is album sales generally around what Alice has been selling lately maybe with a slight bump, but with greater sales on each individual song. I would imagine the song with McCartney will generate the greatest sales and would not be surprised if that is released before the whole album. It's possible that we will see a slow roll-out with single songs or songs in groups with each major guest star's song getting it's own hype and promotion.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there are a few live dates with some or all of these guest stars performing a set of covers--almost like Ringo Starr's All-Star Revue. Also, I'm sure there will be a dvd release covering the recording of the album and live dates if something were to come together.

As far as Shep's genius is concerned--well it has served Alice well over the last near 50 years. It's amazing that an artist like Alice who has been written off as a "has-been" many times is still thriving and much of this can be attributed Shep.

The album being " sat in the can" is pure speculation as no one is certain if the album is even completed. Also, if you have a person like McCartney involved the whole thing could revolve around demands that he might make--even as to when the album is released--that's speculation on my part--but as you know recording an album and the release of it are two different worlds entirely.

At any rate--the album will eventually be released and we will all see what happens. My bet is it becomes a milestone in Alice's career. Not a multi-million seller but it will chart and wil get Alice tons of publicity and will help carry his career to his eventual retirement.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:10 pm

I want to comment on the album sales discussion. As has been stated many times, even more modern artists aren't selling many copies of a physical product these days (sometimes I think I am the only one who still buys CD's). Ultimately, most bands (especially older bands) have many of their diehard fans buy the CD, get a decent opening week charting number and then drop completely off the sales charts in a few weeks.

The good thing is an artist still can hype how well the album debuted on the charts. Case and point, Judas Priest new album (which is quite good by the way) debuted at Number 6 on the chart which was their highest debut ever. It sounds great, but only sold about 32,000 copies which would have probably not even cracked the Top 200, twenty years ago.

So in terms of sales, not many artists are getting rich off of album sales these days, but having a big name like Joe Perry or Paul McCartney might help Alice sell a few more copies. These days an additional 5,000 copies could be the difference between a Top 20 debut and a Top 100 debut. It doesn't mean much cash wise, but it might lead to a few more casual fans checking the album or it might mean getting a little more press and that's a good thing.

Besides how cool is it to hear rock royalty (and McCartney is at the top of the food chain) do a song with Alice?

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:12 pm

One thing that I could see happening is Alice getting more radio play than mot of his new music. That couldn't hurt sales!
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER