Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Super Duper Deluxe 4-Disc Version - US

Post by darkmenace » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:02 pm

I got a numbered copy.

My review:

Love the doc. I like when the emphasis on Alice's career moves away from the horror image he has cultivated since 1986 to a broader view of him as an artist that influenced glam, punk, metal, theatrics, everything! His career as a sober artist unfortunately has been much more narrow in focus and this in turn has led many people to be unaware how influential he truly was.

Wish the doc had done more with early 80s work and live shows (Special Forces).

I'd have loved to see them analyze the evolution of the Alice character during his sober years, for example the psycho killer (RYFAY), the Showman (TLT) and comic book (Neil Gaiman would have been a great interview) and the "sadistic megalomaniac" of the future (BP).

Bonus features are enjoyable in varying degrees. Some of the interviews were great.

1972 concert footage is cool but ultimately frustrating as a person wants more, but interesting historically.

The 2009 concert doesn't mean anything to me except hearing a few songs live that aren't played any more.

The book is great. Packaging is great and I like the Alice Cooper 70s logo far better than the horror logo he's been using for years.

Disappointed that the producer mentions being a big fan of Dada (either in the book or an interview I saw) but there is no mention even in the bonus materials. That album symbolizes his struggles brilliantly but sadly no mention. As the final album before he nearly died this could have been poignant.

Overall a bit overpriced with the 1972 concert not being complete and the 2009 live show not being a concert that matters to me, but the heart of the thing is the doc and it is great, along with several bonus features and the book.

I have 4 discs and I'm obviously slow and missing something but one of the discs doesn't play in my DVD player. Is that because it is a different format?

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:12 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Did everyone else (who got the deluxe version) get a numbered copy?

I don't think they were supposed to be.
I have the deluxe plus the premium one, only the latter has a unique number (which I assume is the way it was supposed to be).
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:13 pm

darkmenace wrote:I have 4 discs and I'm obviously slow and missing something but one of the discs doesn't play in my DVD player. Is that because it is a different format?
Yes, Blu-ray discs can only be played in Blu-ray players.

Hunter

thenightmare92
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by thenightmare92 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:37 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Did everyone else (who got the deluxe version) get a numbered copy?

I don't think they were supposed to be.
Mine has a sticker on the back that says "limited edition 1353 out of 2000" maybe it's an amazon thing

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:41 pm

Mine says "Limited Edition 1852 of 2000." I didn't get mine from Amazon. It's actually right on the back of the book with the barcode.

thenightmare92
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by thenightmare92 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Devon wrote:Mine says "Limited Edition 1852 of 2000." I didn't get mine from Amazon. It's actually right on the back of the book with the barcode.
Same spot on mine. I just thought that 2000 was a low number and that surely more deluxe editions were released than that.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:33 pm

The 4-Disc version I got from BlowItOutaHere.com is #1793.

The Deluxe Package I got from MyPlayDirect with panties is #527.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:15 am

> It's actually right on the back of the book with the barcode.

There is nothing on mine and I also checked with the designer who wasn't aware of it either. In any case, if that is the number of units being made (and I thought it would be higher than that), then that might be even more reason for those who have't bought it to do so.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:08 pm

Mine is 506 of 2000.

Which is great because collectors place higher value on 506 of X.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:52 pm

darkmenace wrote:Mine is 506 of 2000.

Which is great because collectors place higher value on 506 of X.

Why do you wanna sell it??

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:18 pm

I don't.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Does it not seem that some books earmarked for the premium sets have somehow ended up being sold as deluxe copies? They are, after all, the same (I think) other than the sticker with the limited edition number put on over the original barcode.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:02 pm

Does it not seem that some books earmarked for the premium sets have somehow ended up being sold as deluxe copies?

No, I think they all appear to be.

>They are, after all, the same (I think) other than the sticker with the limited edition number put on over the original barcode.

Yes. It does seem confusing. It would be interesting to know if the same is happening with the ones being sold in stores or on Amazon (from any country) for example.

bebauz
Trash
Trash

Post by bebauz » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:08 am

Mine is a sticker with the barcode and the number 1322 of 2000 to the right of the barcode. Purchased at Best Buy in Ohio.

I dug the documentary, it could have been longer, but it isn't too long at 127 minutes. (Would have liked to have seen them talk about each album, but I understand time constraints as well as tying to pander to the non Cooper fans like ourselves.)

Live in '72 DVD is cool. If that is all that is left of the tapes at least this much is preserved for history.

Live in Montreux 2009 is decent, Anything with Halo of Flies and Ballad of Dwight Fry is cool in my book.

Much like Old School it delivers, and much like old school it leaves me looking forward to the next release from the Archives of the ACB.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:59 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:Does it not seem that some books earmarked for the premium sets have somehow ended up being sold as deluxe copies?

No, I think they all appear to be.

>They are, after all, the same (I think) other than the sticker with the limited edition number put on over the original barcode.

Yes. It does seem confusing. It would be interesting to know if the same is happening with the ones being sold in stores or on Amazon (from any country) for example.
My deluxe version is a UK Amazon copy with no sticker over the original barcode / limited edition number.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:51 am

>My deluxe version is a UK Amazon copy with no sticker over the original barcode / limited edition number.

This is confusing. Are you now saying your's is numbered or not? In an earlier post you wrote "I have the deluxe plus the premium one, only the latter has a unique number (which I assume is the way it was supposed to be)."

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:43 am

I've been saying the same thing (well, that's been my intention). To clarify...

I have the deluxe book from Amazon, this has the standard barcode printed on the back (no sticker on top with alternative barcode and limited edition number).

I also have the premium version that came with the pants etc. This does have the sticker and limited edition number.

Hope that clarifies things for you Andy.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:37 pm

>Hope that clarifies things for you Andy.

Thanks, that's clear but saying "no sticker over the original barcode / limited edition number." made it seem like you were saying there was a number that was being not being hidden. I think the numbering must be for north America only, something.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:41 pm

My wife is always accusing me of misleading her too :)

thenightmare92
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by thenightmare92 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:06 am

My thoughts on the documentary: I found it to be really interesting from my point of view I found it to be more of a story of Alice's personal life independent of the albums or shows he did. It was much more on a personal and intimate level opposed to basically telling us fans what we already know. I picked up on the fact that it doesn't really talk about albums or stage shows but more or less uses footage from those eras as backdrops while it discussed what Alice was personally going through at those times. Really loved some of the rarer footage especially the 'All Strapped Up' bit. I was actually unimpressed with the rehearsal of Millie and Billie with Bernie Taupin because I was thinking it was live, the Hollywood bowl footage stood out as interesting as well. Wish they could have included more rare footage from the 'King of the Silver Screen' tour but it was cool they include a bit of the intro.

The 72 footage was interesting as well, from a collectors point of view I am happy to have another DVD of an Alice tour previously unavailable in my collection.