Super Duper Deluxe 4-Disc Version - US

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Re: Super Duper Deluxe 4-Disc Version - US

Post by VinceLeeRose » Sun May 25, 2014 7:33 am

what are the bonus features on the main blu-ray disc? (I know it says interview footage, deleted scenes, and rare footage), but what is it exactly?

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun May 25, 2014 9:19 am

VinceLeeRose wrote:what are the bonus features on the main blu-ray disc? (I know it says interview footage, deleted scenes, and rare footage), but what is it exactly?
I've heard the interview footage is from the "Metal Evolutions" documentary that they did with these guys. The other stuff is probably bits and pieces that didn't fit into the final product.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sun May 25, 2014 6:34 pm

got my copy this weekend : great job, well done !
great present for the long time Alice fans, wonder how the fans knowing Alice from Poison on will receive this : they will surely have
something to discover !
you really wouldn't understand..

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Sun May 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Got my copy a couple of days ago. I must say it's way better than Prime Cuts. Quite probably the best music documentary I've ever seen.
And the Killer live dvd was just superb!!!! Okay, so it's an incomplete show, full of cuts etc.. But, I've been longing to watch this particular show for years.
Anybody notice that the first verse of "Under My Wheels" actually is the studio version edited in?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun May 25, 2014 7:21 pm

boy/man wrote:Got my copy a couple of days ago. I must say it's way better than Prime Cuts. Quite probably the best music documentary I've ever seen.
And the Killer live dvd was just superb!!!! Okay, so it's an incomplete show, full of cuts etc.. But, I've been longing to watch this particular show for years.
Anybody notice that the first verse of "Under My Wheels" actually is the studio version edited in?
I think I heard that the audio is from a different show, but very carefully matched to give the best possible result.

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Sun May 25, 2014 7:26 pm

Si wrote:
boy/man wrote:Got my copy a couple of days ago. I must say it's way better than Prime Cuts. Quite probably the best music documentary I've ever seen.
I think I heard that the audio is from a different show, but very carefully matched to give the best possible result.
Could be, but the first verse sounds notably different than the rest of the song.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Tue May 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Bought mine, this morning, at Crash Records in Leeds - their last copy! HMV said they'd sold out all their copies yesterday!! It looks fantastic, but haven't played anything yet as only just arrived home. Will post a 'review' later.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue May 27, 2014 10:00 pm

Amazon delivered my copy yesterday, so last night I watched the extras and today re-watched the movie itself.

The 4 disc package is really well put together. Definitely worth the extra over a boring DVD case. A+ to those involved.

Watching the movie again, despite the previously discussed complaints, it's clear that the producers succeed in their goal to present the life of the "star" perfectly. It covers the main events in his life clearly. Childhood, forming band, getting successful, band break up (very well presented I thought), Sheryl, alcohol, drugs, and the comeback are all there, and you really do get drawn along by the narrative.

As far as footage goes we get everything from the fairly commonplace (Toronto 69) to the extremely rare (the 'All Strapped Up' footage) plus any number of unseen photos thanks to Mrs Furnier. While not all are in the right places chronologically they do all support the narrative extremely well. All told I can`t see anyone doing the story of Alice Cooper (the man) better. Now we just need a film of Dennis' book to do the original band justice.

As far as the extras go the '72 footage is great. In the book it states that they had to fix the audio and work with what footage they had but thought people would still be interested in seeing it, and they are right! Given the disclaimer I can't see how anyone could be disappointed in having it included. Sure, we all want a pristine copy of ABC in concert but who knows, maybe that will surface in another project.

The outtakes are also interesting. I can see why Dennis/Cindy/Joe recounting how the band met Shep couldn't be used as it completely contradicts what Alice and Shep say in the movie, so much so that there wasn`t really any way they could use both versions! However I do think the outtake with Sheryl talking about Alice pursuing her should have been left in. It almost re-enforces one of the main points in the film about Alice's addictive personality. He's addicted to Sheryl every bit as much, if not more, as he was addicted to drugs and booze and this short outtake shows that. Luckily this addiction is a healthy one!

Also included are longer takes of a few of the archive interviews with Alice although it's a shame the Q&A shown after the film in theaters isn't there, probably as the set went to the printers before that footage was done. Maybe it could be put online on the official film site or something so it isn't lost forever.

Not listened to the audio CD yet but I would assume that is pretty much as you would expect. Having 'Feminine Side' on there is a bonus although four songs are cut, presumably to fit on the one disc.

All told I have to say I think the producers did a awesome job on this, and while there would always be things that could be included and weren't (for whatever reason) at the end of the day the film and the whole DVD package is something they should be very pleased with.

Now.. when do we get the Dennis movie...?

thenightmare92
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by thenightmare92 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:52 pm

Since I've got to wait two weeks for my copy I'm wondering if any of you who already have it can tell me if the 'All Strapped Up' footage has accompanying music playing (which I assume it's just talked over) and does the 'additional rare footage' in the special features include a full clip of the previously stated clip (because I've read on here during the documentary it's just bits of it)? Thanks!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed May 28, 2014 12:15 am

thenightmare92 wrote:Since I've got to wait two weeks for my copy I'm wondering if any of you who already have it can tell me if the 'All Strapped Up' footage has accompanying music playing (which I assume it's just talked over) and does the 'additional rare footage' in the special features include a full clip of the previously stated clip (because I've read on here during the documentary it's just bits of it)? Thanks!
No, 'All Strapped Up' is not in there, and No the full version isn'yt an extra unfortunately.

thenightmare92
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by thenightmare92 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:26 am

Si wrote:
thenightmare92 wrote:Since I've got to wait two weeks for my copy I'm wondering if any of you who already have it can tell me if the 'All Strapped Up' footage has accompanying music playing (which I assume it's just talked over) and does the 'additional rare footage' in the special features include a full clip of the previously stated clip (because I've read on here during the documentary it's just bits of it)? Thanks!
No, 'All Strapped Up' is not in there, and No the full version isn'yt an extra unfortunately.
Thanks for the quick reply Si! That is rather unfortunate

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:52 am

With 4 discs it would be nice if we could see the full songs rather than just clips. This was something I found frustrating with Prime Cuts.

Petri
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Petri » Wed May 28, 2014 7:22 am

I finally received my copy of the deluxe edition yesterday. Really pleased with it! The documentary itself is very interesting and entertaining, to say the least. :) The inclusion of the bonus material, especially the footage in the 'Rare stuff' section, was a welcome addition.

Definitely worth having! :alice:
"A lot of people confuse me with Mel Gibson."
- The Coop, years ago

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed May 28, 2014 8:56 am

>With 4 discs it would be nice if we could see the full songs rather than just clips. This was something I found frustrating with Prime Cuts.

We actually did that with "Old School" and it does tend to disrupt the flow somewhat if you're not careful. I think that could have worked with "Prime Cuts" but "Super Duper Alice Cooper" is meant to be more of a dramatic and emotional experience rather than just a dry and fact - laden documentary.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed May 28, 2014 10:07 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>With 4 discs it would be nice if we could see the full songs rather than just clips. This was something I found frustrating with Prime Cuts.

We actually did that with "Old School" and it does tend to disrupt the flow somewhat if you're not careful. I think that could have worked with "Prime Cuts" but "Super Duper Alice Cooper" is meant to be more of a dramatic and emotional experience rather than just a dry and fact - laden documentary.
I think he means as a bonus, not in the main film.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed May 28, 2014 11:26 am

>I think he means as a bonus, not in the main film.

Yes, I see that now - thanks.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Wed May 28, 2014 10:36 pm

Just finished watching, listening to, reading and looking at everything once. There's a lot to digest and, since I didn't see the film when first released, I need to view it again in order to let a few more bits sink in. Initial thoughts:

It's a fantastically stylish package, with a well written overview and lots of 'cool' photographs.

The film was extremely engrossing, evolving like a timeless, dramatic play rather than a historical documentary. A complete dearth of talking heads is a masterstroke, facilitating a giddy momentum that never lets up. The symbolic, silent Jekyll and Hyde footage is effectively interwoven throughout, whilst the animation gives it a quasi-surreal quality that reflects the subject matter. A lack of complete tracks actually enhances the roller coaster ride, though music is a virtually constant background. It does make perfect sense to end it in '86, and MB's absence - although perverse - doesn't detract from the unfolding drama.

The Montreal footage is magnificently ramshackle, effectively showing the band at their 'theatre of the absurd' garage-rock best. 'Dead Babies' and 'Killer' embody jaw-dropping menace and macabre here.

'Rockin up a storm' would easily describe the Montreux CD; there's a particularly powerful rendition of 'In Touch With Your Feminine Side'.

Overall then, the package easily surpassed my initial, somewhat sceptical expectations.

Cindy Lang
Trash
Trash

Post by Cindy Lang » Thu May 29, 2014 12:32 am

I was in Berlin yesterday and stumbled on the Deluxe version at Saturn. Nice find. :)

The Cindy Lang footage was hilarous. I haven't seen that one before. :evil:

I was a little disapointed watching Montreal 1971. But I guess that's because I had quite a lot from the footage before and thought that the parts I was lacking would be included on the DVD. I'm surprised that Yeah, Yeah, Yeah was left out.

I am currious about the editing and if they left out anything as some songs are perfectly edited? Dead Babies and Killer have both cuts that are nicely edited and I wonder why? I thought that Rock-A-Bye did that for the TV-show in the seventies but the DVD has a longer version of Dead Babies but it is still cut.

Andy, how much of the audio is from Montreal? I think I've never heard the I'm Eighteen version before and I figuerd out that some are taken from Texas 1973.

I am also waiting for the DD movie along with a complete Olympia, Paris 1972. I also know that DR (Danish TV) recorded the show in Tivoli, Copenhagen in 1971 and heard that BBC wiped the original tape filmed at Rainbow 1971 which was in Black and White. Did anybody watch it when it aired in 1972, days before the last Killer show at Wembley?

The book was very cool!
Last edited by Cindy Lang on Thu May 29, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Suddenly I realize I saw it all through real eyes"

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu May 29, 2014 12:36 am

I got my super deluxe from Amazon UK for £39 had it a few days and not opened it yet shame on me. Looking forward to seeing the film again and Montreal 72 DVD. Can even watch my Jeff Beck question getting answered again on the extras I'm told.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 29, 2014 12:21 pm

>A lack of complete tracks actually enhances the roller coaster ride, though music is a virtually constant background. It does make perfect sense to end it in '86, and MB's absence - although perverse - doesn't detract from the unfolding drama.

Yet another reviewer, who unlike some, actually 'gets it', which is gratifying.