Super Duper Deluxe 4-Disc Version - US

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Super Duper Deluxe 4-Disc Version - US

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 22, 2014 3:38 pm

>The documentary itself was much more a cinematic and emotional experience than music documentaries usually are.

That is a good point and I think a lot of that is down to one of the directors, Reginald Harkema, who doesn't have a documentary background and more of a feature - film director, so he bought that sensibility to it. I remember very early on in the process when we started exchanging notes and his were quite similar to mine despite him not being very aware of Alice's career. In other words, he very quickly identified a lot of the key points in the story that lent themselves to being funny or dramatic.

>It grabbed me right from the beginning and it took me over 20 minutes to realize that I was really watching a music documentary not some brilliant visually striking drama.

Another great point.

>I think a theme of friendship between Alice and Dennis added more depth to the documentary.

Another great point.

> It is very noticeable that parts of some songs are missing and some songs are not here at all.

Unfortunately, that appears to be all that has survived.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 22, 2014 3:39 pm

>No, you want room 12A

Hysterical.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Thu May 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Well surprisingly the running time is only 35 minutes. Halo Of Flies is not included as you already knew. My Very Own section is included but Is It my Body itself is not which was very confusing. Yeah Yeah Yeah is not included at all. Long Way To Go/School's Out Jam is present. It may have been slightly edited but I'm not sure because I don't know how long it is supposed to be. It runs for several minutes here. Killer seems complete but I got a feeling they took something out between Killer and Long Way To Go because Alice just suddenly appears back to the stage with white clothes.

Anyone will definitely notice something is missing even if they don't know the setlist. It plays more like a concert highlights collection than a complete concert.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu May 22, 2014 3:46 pm

The son of Don Quijote wrote:Well surprisingly the running time is only 35 minutes. Halo Of Flies is not included as you already knew. My Very Own section is included but Is It my Body itself is not which was very confusing. Yeah Yeah Yeah is not included at all. Long Way To Go/School's Out Jam is present. It may have been slightly edited but I'm not sure because I don't know how long it is supposed to be. It runs for several minutes here. Killer seems complete but I got a feeling they took something out between Killer and Long Way To Go because Alice just suddenly appears back to the stage with white clothes.

Anyone will definitely notice something is missing even if they don't know the setlist. It plays more like a concert highlights collection than a complete concert.
That is some key information there. Thanks for the quick reply.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Thu May 22, 2014 3:50 pm

So this is all that has survived from that concert. In a way it makes this one even more interesting and special. Thanks for the information Michael_UK!

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu May 22, 2014 3:50 pm

I'm assuming this is from the same source used in the Rock-a-Bye film, shot by the National Film Board of Canada. Is that where the footage was obtained?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 22, 2014 3:57 pm

>So this is all that has survived from that concert. In a way it makes this one even more interesting and special. Thanks for the information Michael_UK!

I shouild clarify that there is some dressing - room footage from that show, some of which is in the documentary itself, but is not used on this disc.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:57 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Posts feel like submitting essays for teacher to mark, only for them to be returned with the inevitable red pen of disdain.

No, I disagree. I think if certain people around here posted in good faith and without an agenda, then replies would be in that style as well.
This is like Fox News saying iy is Fair and Balanced. My favourite thing you have posted.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 22, 2014 3:57 pm

>I'm assuming this is from the same source used in the Rock-a-Bye film, shot by the National Film Board of Canada. Is that where the footage was obtained?

Yes.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu May 22, 2014 4:46 pm

I'm surprised that the price of obtaining footage from the NFB would be cost prohibitive. They're a publicly funded institution not looking for a big payday like say Pennebaker/Hegedus or other private companies

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Thu May 22, 2014 4:47 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Probably quite small compared to the premium bundle though.

I am not sure what the size has to do with it - that includes a poster, a t - shirt, a frisbee and underwear as well.
Not an issue, more a dilemma about where to store these increasingly large items!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 22, 2014 6:59 pm

>My favourite thing you have posted.

Mine are those posts where you pretend not to be bitter and cynical.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 22, 2014 7:13 pm

>I'm surprised that the price of obtaining footage from the NFB would be cost prohibitive.

I don't think anyone said that was an issue, although it may have been.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu May 22, 2014 7:26 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I'm surprised that the price of obtaining footage from the NFB would be cost prohibitive.

I don't think anyone said that was an issue, although it may have been.
You did, in the Montreal 1972 thread when I said...
>would of been nice to have included this dvd in the Old School box.

We tried but it was too expensive.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 22, 2014 7:38 pm

>>would of been nice to have included this dvd in the Old School box.

We are not talking about that. We are discussing "Super Duper Alice Cooper" which is an entirely different project, funded from different sources and which had a different (and higher) budget.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu May 22, 2014 7:44 pm

um...no

The thread was talking about this extra disc (Montreal '72). I said it would have been nice if this was included in the Old School set, you responded by saying "we tried but it was too expensive"

I thought I was being as clear as possible, apologies if I wasn't.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 22, 2014 7:55 pm

>The thread was talking about this extra disc (Montreal '72).

No. In this thread (which is called "Super Duper Deluxe 4-Disc Version - US"), The son of Don Quijote wrote: "I have watched Montreal 1972 show four times already." You replied: " Would you be able to provide some details regarding the Montreal show." The son of Don Quijote then gave you some information. You then wrote: "I'm assuming this is from the same source used in the Rock-a-Bye film, shot by the National Film Board of Canada. Is that where the footage was obtained?" At no point did he or you mention "Old School" in your comments.

>I thought I was being as clear as possible, apologies if I wasn't.

I accept. Also, I should have pointed out that if it is the case that you are referring to the dressing - room footage and that you wanted that to be included, that would have been great but as far as I'm aware, that's silent, so it's kind of hard to include it in that form.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Thu May 22, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:03 pm

So was it too expensive for Super Duper?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 22, 2014 8:04 pm

>So was it too expensive for Super Duper?

I don't know. Take a look at my post, or you can ask the producers that question.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Thu May 22, 2014 8:07 pm

The son of Don Quijote wrote:It is an excellent CD with a good selection of songs Halo Of Flies, Steven, Dead Babies, all setlist staples and a great version of Ballad of Dwight Fry with a much longer ending. Alice's vocals are very good but not quite phenomenal.
How long is Steven? Is it a full verison of the song or is it shorter like the one on the Dirty Diamonds tour?
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."