it really is Super Duper

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: it really is Super Duper

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:31 pm

>but can't recall what the exclusion was other than a vocal contribution à la Neal, Sheryl, Dennis etc - or did I miss something?

There wasn't "a vocal contribution" and also the fact that there was no reference to him is what people are complaining about even, as I think I have said, it makes no real difference to this particular story.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks Andy.

Well, the 'vocal contribution' would be because they couldn't track him down or he simply wasn't interested in joining-in (or both), and that could have had repercussions for referring to him to a degree. I have to say though, it wasn't as conspicious to me as it seems to be to many here. Also, agree with you Andy, it didn't seem to affect the story too much.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:32 pm

I just think it was an oversight and there was no intent to offend or upset anyone. It remains quite a poor error though to not even mention his name in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to getting my copy on blu-ray. I'm hoping there will be some cool extras included.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:44 pm

The Montreal 72 gig as an extra with the film will suffice for me.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:54 pm

>Well, the 'vocal contribution' would be because they couldn't track him down or he simply wasn't interested in joining-in (or both),

Sorry, I thought you meant there was one and you were asking what the exclusion was beyond that. As to your direct question, only the makers of the film and Michael can answer that.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:10 pm

>https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... &source=46

For the sake of clarity, I understand that page is run by Michael's son and that Michael has his own page which he runs.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:26 pm

yes I gather Chandler helps to run that page which is the official Michael Bruce Facebook and the other official page is the Michael Owen Bruce one which posted the same this is Alice Cooper photo on April 5th.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:49 pm

So Michael has not officially commented then?

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:35 pm

don't you think the comment "need I say more" with a picture of the original band with the words 'This is Alice Cooper' on his official Facebook page could be a reference to his non mention in the film?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:48 pm

Sorry I got confused with the two official pages.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Super Duper - Some great moments but seriously flawed

Post by mestreech » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:31 am

Mike Drew wrote:Don't get me wrong,thats really my main criticism,and joe public won't know anyway...I appreciate the fact,that a lot of work has gone into this...This is about as good as its gonna get,looking forward to Super Duper 2 "The Nightmare Returns" :-)
I don't think that will EVER be made.

sevenandseven
Trash
Trash

Post by sevenandseven » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:11 am

Aw man I can't wait!
I am seeing it this coming Wednesday! :clap: :laugh:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:36 am

>don't you think the comment "need I say more" with a picture of the original band with the words 'This is Alice Cooper' on his official Facebook page could be a reference to his non mention in the film?

You can't assume that as you said he had posted the picture long before the film had been released.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu May 01, 2014 10:16 am

but reposted it after the film had been shown and liked Facebook posts criticizing him not being mentioned. I wouldn't have thought he was going to be happy about not getting a mention but there you go the films been shown now and it's too late to correct that one omission of an otherwise excellent film.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 01, 2014 11:05 am

>but reposted it after the film had been shown and liked Facebook posts criticizing him not being mentioned.

Again, I think it may have been his son doing that. It gets confusing with more than one page and yes, I do agree there should have been a reference in the documentary but as I've said, I don't think it detracts from it.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu May 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Saw the film last night in Pittsburgh. I *really* enjoyed it and look forward to seeing it again on Blu-ray because it flew by so quick as I'm sure I missed some things I'll notice on additional viewings. It did sound great in the theater and I'm looking forward to hearing it on my home theater setup!

First off, I agree with everyone's criticism over the lack of a Michael Bruce mention. Surely, this was purposeful, I don't see how it couldn't be. Alice's recent interviews saying they "couldn't find him" comes off as very cringeworthy, however.

While I understand the film is about Alice the man, there were a few places in the film that I thought perhaps they glossed over a bit fast. For one, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think "Billion Dollar Babies" was specifically mentioned by name and they didn't really focus on that album/era all that much (though they used live footage in and out of context). Surprising, given it's a major milestone in the band and Alice's career and their only #1 album (which probably deserved mention).

I thought they were more frank about the breakup than I can remember Alice and Shep being, and in regard to Alice taking the name too. I would have enjoyed even more detail on that stuff but I was happy it was addressed. And hearing Ezrin recount the MOL story was interesting too. Though I've heard it before in some manner, it was nice to hear it from his mouth.

One thing I would have preferred, however, is if they had come clean on some of the myths. Perpetuating the Ouija Board story and the chicken story yet again seemed a bit stilly to me. With the segment about Alice's drug use being covered extensively for the first time, I feel this was the perfect opportunity to set the record straight on those other stories. I feel it would have lent even more weight to the documentary and those stories will live on regardless.

I liked the approach they took with no talking heads giving it a unique feel compared to their other docs. The animation of the photos, as someone previously mentioned, was well done. I also like when they give old photos a 3-dimensional feel and that was used well throughout the film also. A top notch production for sure.

Great turnout in Pittsburgh, there were 50-60 people in the theater which blew me away. There was cheering and clapping at both the beginning and end.

I enjoyed the Q&A section at the end. I thought some of the questions were particularly good.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Thu May 01, 2014 4:36 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote: First off, I agree with everyone's criticism over the lack of a Michael Bruce mention. Surely, this was purposeful, I don't see how it couldn't be. Alice's recent interviews saying they "couldn't find him" comes off as very cringeworthy, however
Here's a bit more on the MB 'mystery', from a long interview AC has just given to The Village Voice. The interviewer asks why Michael wasn't in the film. Alice replies:

"Certain guys disappear, and you see them once in a while. He lives in Mexico. Impossible to get in touch with. Or somebody'll say he's in Spain now. I would love to have had his input on it also, but to pin a guy down and say you're going to do 20 hours of talking to these guys, we just couldn't do that with Mike. Neal and Dennis wanted to talk."

The interviewer persists, saying MB was very much around for W2MN and was playing a gig with Dennis in New Jersey more recently. Alice replies:

"During all of the interviews, I think I talked about Mike more than anybody because Mike and I wrote all the songs together. So I don't know why it was. Even when he was in the band, we never knew where he was. He was sort of our phantom."

It's just like Sherlock Holmes: 'The Mystery Of The Missing Michael'!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 01, 2014 9:16 pm

>It's just like Sherlock Holmes: 'The Mystery Of The Missing Michael'!

I wouldn't go that far and in fact, the interviews with the directors posted today on the front - page which I'm sure everyone has read, actually cover a lot of the points people are raising.

MonsterDog
Dada God
Dada God

Post by MonsterDog » Fri May 02, 2014 12:24 am

I thought the movie was fantastic. The interviews that Andy speaks of in the above post are great reading as well.

I saw the film at the one showing in all of central Iowa, and there were only 14 people in the theater in total. I'd say a lot of folks missed out.
I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not!