Along came the Super Duper reviews

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Along came the Super Duper reviews

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:34 am

Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Along came the Super Duper reviews

Post by VinceRaven » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:10 pm

The fact that the reviewer says this nonsense, "...and even if the music hasn't aged well – bar the big hits like Eighteen and School's Out..." illustrates that there was little chance of them giving it a very positive review.

I hope for better feedback soon, as I'm really looking forward to seeing this on the 22nd.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:23 pm

>"...and even if the music hasn't aged well – bar the big hits like Eighteen and School's Out..." illustrates that there was little chance of them giving it a very positive review.

Actually, "the music" isn't even a big part of the story that the documentary tries to tell (although it's there obviously). Perhaps this journalist didn't actually watch it.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:40 pm

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... our-update

He's also putting the finishing touches on his next album, a mostly covers tribute to the "Hollywood vampires" crowd (John Lennon, Harry Nilsson, the Who's Keith Moon and others) he partied with during the early 70s, though he's also written four new songs for the project. He's currently adding guest musicians, though Cooper won't reveal any names yet.

"The album's 99 percent done," Cooper reports, "but every once in awhile somebody comes up and says, 'Hey, you forgot to include me,' and it's somebody you can't ignore, so it's like, 'Sure, absolutely...I never thought that guy would ever want to be on the album, but, cool, let's get him on.' All these people loved the idea, some huge names that we never really had the guts to call. There's no hurry to put this thing out right now, 'cause we've got the (Crue) tour and of course we want to wrap a show around (the album), so it'll have to wait, but I don't think it will lose anything."
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:59 am

personally I think Rod Stewart put it best "all journalists should be shot"
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:53 pm

Utterly ridiculous and dismissive review. How could this documentary be just like other ones about rock stars when Alice's persona and contributions to the genre are totally unique? It's the usual dismissive attitude and amazes me how ardently some reviewers stick to it.

Even when giving a compliment the reviewer feels he must follow quickly with a put down, "the music hasn't aged well." That's just his opinion and unnecessary to tack on at the end of an otherwise positive sentence. I think the opposite. If more people heard more songs than the few played on the radio Alice would get more respect and converts.

I haven't even seen the movie yet and I'm sure it's better than this reviewer suggests because he has viewed it superficially through a biased lens.

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:36 pm

Perhaps this journalist didn't actually watch it.

Hah yeah, Andy, that was my first thought ;)
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Just found another review, not a positive one.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Super ... oper.shtml

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Quote "By the time "Super Duper Alice Cooper" concludes, you will probably feel next to nothing. Naturally, if you were an Alice Cooper freak, there is a chance you will think that this is one of the greatest films ever made and you will see it no matter what anyone else says about it. For the rest of you, it is less super duper than pooper scooper." ::((:

Face? Bothered???
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:39 pm

I suppose I should reserve judgement and wait to see the film but these reviews seem like the same old tired talking points about Alice, relating him to Kiss as as condescending comparison rather than a significant influence on rock music across the board.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:10 pm

darkmenace wrote:Just found another review, not a positive one.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Super ... oper.shtml
Another review from someone with a clear dislike of the band before seeing the film.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:15 am

darkmenace wrote:Utterly ridiculous and dismissive review. How could this documentary be just like other ones about rock stars when Alice's persona and contributions to the genre are totally unique? It's the usual dismissive attitude and amazes me how ardently some reviewers stick to it.

Even when giving a compliment the reviewer feels he must follow quickly with a put down, "the music hasn't aged well." That's just his opinion and unnecessary to tack on at the end of an otherwise positive sentence. I think the opposite. If more people heard more songs than the few played on the radio Alice would get more respect and converts.

I haven't even seen the movie yet and I'm sure it's better than this reviewer suggests because he has viewed it superficially through a biased lens.

The fact that you are a calling a review of a movie you haven't seen "ridiculous" is a bit ridiculous.I don't know why some of you are so upset about bad reviews. Just because you like Alice Cooper does not mean that the movie has to be good.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:51 am

I think the point is that there's a difference between a bad review and a review from someone who was clearly of one mind going into it. I haven't read them for quite some time but a lot of the old album reviews in Rolling Stone came across like that as well, people looking to make a dig no matter what the content.

On the other hand, a few days after the premiere, the lack of a single great review (which I'm sure would be flagged up immediately by the Coops' social media sites) is a real cause for concern. I had high hopes for this, but I'm starting to wind them down in advance of the 22nd. Still, I'll bet there are some cracking photos and clips that the likes of us on here will love to see.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Well said all around VinceRaven.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:59 pm

>I had high hopes for this, but I'm starting to wind them down in advance of the 22nd.

Why is it so important to you what the critics have to say about it?

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Well here's a good, long review by bona fide music critic, Eric Cohen. He has the odd nitpick, but is generally very positive calling the movie: 'a very entertaining look at a cultural icon' and 'pretty damn engrossing, aided no less by the honesty and self depreciating humour of the subject himself'. Plus the reviewer - who states he has never been a fan - comes away having developed a 'new found respect' for Alice Cooper!

http://www.thisisinfamous.com/movies/page/2

One general point though. I totally believe that journalists should always - in a democracy, anyway - express their true opinions, without fear or favour. I'd much rather read an honest, critical review of a record/film than some piece of servile sycophancy.

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:55 pm

I don't know why anyone would be bothered by what the critics have to say, if I had taken any notice of their views, I wouldn't even be listening to Alice Cooper!!
I am looking forward to going to see this documentary in a cinema with what will probably be a pro Alice audience, then I will make up my mind up on what I think about it!!!

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:07 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I had high hopes for this, but I'm starting to wind them down in advance of the 22nd.

Why is it so important to you what the critics have to say about it?
My lessening expectations have zero to do with what the critics have been saying so far. It's to do with what all related articles are saying of the content and approach. Of course, I won't truly know what it's like until I see it, no matter how many articles I read beforehand. Anyhow, I always think it's a good idea to rein in your excitement before something happens so as not to burden it with unrealistic hopes and I was letting myself get a bit carried away before this.

I'm still looking forward to it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:18 pm

>It's to do with what all related articles are saying of the content and approach.

I don't understand your point. For one thing, there haven't been that many "related articles" yet and for another, any that evaluate "the content" are generally written by critics anyway. I just don't understand why some people still keep getting carried away with things like this.

>I was letting myself get a bit carried away before this.

You probably won't be the last to do that, unfortunately.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:05 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>It's to do with what all related articles are saying of the content and approach.

I don't understand your point. For one thing, there haven't been that many "related articles" yet and for another, any that evaluate "the content" are generally written by critics anyway. I just don't understand why some people still keep getting carried away with things like this.

>I was letting myself get a bit carried away before this.

You probably won't be the last to do that, unfortunately.
I hope you're getting your typing fingers in good shape. I'll be surprised if the film doesn't kick off similar lengthy debate to that instigated by the Old School Box.