Rock Meets Classic Tour

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Rock Meets Classic Tour

Post by cherrypie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:50 pm

So, did anybody go to Berlin?? What songs did he do?

Only seen this so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjbnpsBlFaM
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Rock Meets Classic Tour

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:28 pm

"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:54 am

anyone knows the setlist?

schinkengott
Killer
Killer

Post by schinkengott » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:36 am

Midge Ure:
Hymn
Breathe
Vienna
Gitarrensolo Alex
Dancing With Tears In My Eyes

Joe Lynn Turner:
Intro
I Surrender
Stone Cold
Gitarrensolo Oliver Hartmann
Love Conquers All
Long Live Rock´n´Roll oder Since you´ve been gone

He´s a pirate [Instrumental vom Bohemian Symphony Orchestra Prague.]

Kim Wilde:
You came
Cambodia
You keep me hanging on
Kids In America

[Pause 20 Minuten]

Uriah Heep:
Intro Another Brick In The Wall
Easy Livin´
Free Me
July Morning
Lady In Black

Beethoven 5 [Orchester]

Hello Hooray [Intro]
House Of Fire
No More Mr. Nice Guy
Only Woman Bleed
Welcome To My Nightmare
Poison
School´s Out
Thats what a good spider does...you trap....you kill....you eat

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Thanks Schinkengott, I was looking at the videos on youtube and I thought I had seen Oliver Hartmann there. So cool! I'm seeing the show in one week in Zurich and then the one in Strasbourg.

I love Uriah Heep, saw them twice I bet this will be great. I'm glad they're doing "July Morning" as I always loved that song :D

frontrowjunkie
Killer
Killer

Post by frontrowjunkie » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:08 pm

They're great. We've seen 3 RMC shows so far, and they rock. Just got tickets to see them on their own once more on April 6 (day after RMC ends).

July Morning sounds absolutely fantastic with the orchestra!

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:53 pm

:clap:

That song already has the orchestral type of melody, I bet that will be great. Sure would love to see them again, shame that Trevor Bolder is gone now :/

Very energetic band, it was a real pleasure both times.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:46 am

shame Uriah Heep aren't doing Return To Fantasy or Gypsy, both would work great with an Orchestra.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Anja
Trash
Trash

Post by Anja » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:13 pm

I wrote this review for one of the Facebook fan groups - there don´t seem to be english ones around elsewhere so maybe anybody is interested in reading my attempt (and please don´t mind my mistakes, english is not my first language)...

naive, unprofessional and subjective review of

Rock Meets Classic 2014, Mannheim March 18th

by Anja F.
For THE LEGENDARY...ALICE COOPER Facebook Group

Here it finally was, the date of the show I got tickets for, more than half a year ago. First row but quite far sideways.

The huge sports arena was about ¾ filled with a strange mixture of people, far from your normal rock audience – the fans that where recognisable as ones where almost all Alice´s, though.

There where two big screens right and left of the stage and while we were waiting for the show to begin, we were „entertained“ with a loop of adds and the Carpenters „Top Of The World“ (if I remember correctly) maybe to cool the non-existing frenzy of the waiting audience...

After the background noise of the adds had ceased and quite surprisingly, we heared a short prerecorded message with comments from the solo artists and then the curtain fell.

The orchestra, rock band and choir singers opened the show with Queens „Show Must Go On“...strange choice for an opening, but sounding great! So here we went...

The leader of the rock band, Mat Sinner, who was also the presenter for the rest of the evening, introduced the first solo artist, Midge Ure. His songs “Hymn”, “Breathe”, “Vienna” and “Dancing With Tears In My Eyes” were presented with an impressive voice and the audience enjoyed them seated.

Second was Joe Lynn Turner, a short man with a huge voice and a strange mass of hair. He performed “Stone Cold”, “I Surrender” and “Love Conquers All” and with his last song “Since You´ve Been Gone” he managed to get the audience to stand up for the first time in the evening.

After he left the stage, the audience sat down again and the orchestra had the opportunity to show its skills with the title melody of “Pirates of the Carribean”.

After that, it was Kim Wilde´s turn. She did “You Came”, “Cambodia”, “You Keep Me Hanging On” and and also got big parts of the audience to stand up with her last song “Kids In America”.

A pause of about 20 minutes followed (again with the loop of adds on the screens and „Top of the World“ as tranquilizer).

The band and orcestra immediatly got back the attention of the audience with Pink Floyds „Another Brick In The Wall“ and initiated the crowd to dance and sing along loudly for the first time. The energy level reached its preliminary peak.

During the introduction of Mick Box and Bernie Shaw of Uriah Heep, the audience sat down again only to get the gestured order to stand up again by Bernie seconds later. The two guys obviously were having a great time, were in theire best of moods, laughed and joked all the time. The audience was infected, danced and sang along during “Easy Livin´”, “Free Me” and the epic “July Morning” and was at the top of their lungs by the last song “Lady in Black”. Now this whole thing actually felt like a rock concert!

After Bernie and Mick left the stage with loud cheering, the orcestra prepared the crowd with Beethovens 5th for the headliner of the evening, Alice Cooper.

With the intro of “Hello Hooray” and a curtain of sparks, the master entered the stage from behind the orchestra. He grabbed the crowd instantly with “House Of Fire”, accompanied with fitting pyrotechnic blasts. Without delay they startet into “No More Mr. Nice Guy”, followed by the change of the light to bloodred and an amazing symphonic version of “Only Women Bleed” completed with a ballet by Sheryl, domestic violence (both ways) and a hearty bite into Alice´s arm which caused the first (and only) spilled blood of the evening. This was followed by “Welcome To My Nightmare” which made me wish they could take along their own symphonic orchestra just for this song on the next tour.

The crowd was already boiling at this point as far as I could see, but next was the song that everybody in the arena knew: “Poison”, of course. One girl run to the the stage and got pulled on her hair and was whiped a little (I´m actually not sure if it really was a fan girl or someone from the crew because the security guys didn´t seem to bother as they did before). This was the end of Alice´s set and he left the stage with frenetic cheering. The audience started shouting for an encore instantly.

The solo artists where called back on stage ony by one by Mat Sinner and performed “School´s Out” together but clearly led by Alice. The indispensable balloons where thrown into the crowd but I guess a sword would have been much too dangerous with all the people up there!

With the final chords the arena got filled with golden glittering steamers which brought sounds of amazement out of the surprised audience at the end of an ambivalent show.

_

The concept of RMC is perfect for the regular symphonic orcestra concert-goer, who wants to experience a rock show in a „save“ environment and with several well-known solo artists, they have until then only heard about and I´m sure many of them will go and see the artists' own concerts soon. And of course, it was a pleasure to hear songs like “July Morning” and “Welcome To My Nightmare” live in a symphonic version!

All the solists were in great shape, but because of the necessity of short sets and the gaps in between, the energy level of the audience never could reach the heights that would have been possible if the show had been done more fluently.

I left the venue with a strange mixture of feelings - I enjoyed the whole performance and had great fun, especially with the guys of Uriah Heep and of course Alice, but when the first chords of “School's Out” came, I wasn´t in the mood to call it quits! I was still full of energy and hungry to see one more hour of Alice, at least!

I will go and order some tickets now...

frontrowjunkie
Killer
Killer

Post by frontrowjunkie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:32 pm

steven_crayn wrote:shame Uriah Heep aren't doing Return To Fantasy or Gypsy, both would work great with an Orchestra.
That is probably true. Alice also has many songs that would work with the orchestra just as well as the ones he's doing. However you have to keep in mind that most people who go to see the show are not fans of the artists performing. The majority knows at most 1 song of each artist. So they really have to stick to their big hits if they want to get a response at all.

frontrowjunkie
Killer
Killer

Post by frontrowjunkie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:36 pm

Here's an interesting blog post by Mick Box from Uriah Heep about the first part of the tour:

http://www.heepstermusic.com/MickBox/Blog/Default.aspx

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks for sharing that Anja!
I'm gearing up for Sunday's show now!

Very cool blog too, thanks for that FRJ :laugh: nice to get a voice from "the other side"

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:12 am

frontrowjunkie wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:shame Uriah Heep aren't doing Return To Fantasy or Gypsy, both would work great with an Orchestra.
That is probably true. Alice also has many songs that would work with the orchestra just as well as the ones he's doing. However you have to keep in mind that most people who go to see the show are not fans of the artists performing. The majority knows at most 1 song of each artist. So they really have to stick to their big hits if they want to get a response at all.
Gypsy is one of their better known songs and Return To Fantasy the title track of one of their better known albums that even got TV Advertising in the 1970s, the album reached # 7 in the UK chart their highest ever position .
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

frontrowjunkie
Killer
Killer

Post by frontrowjunkie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:43 pm

I know all that. You might be surprised but this wasn't the first time I've seen them. As I said before, I can see your point. But having seen the show a few times by now with different audiences, I can see why they picked these exact songs as they work great with both the audience and the orchestra. Night after night. I also think that since they do a lot of shows in Germany, they probably have an understanding for which songs work best here...

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:59 am

I came home from Strasbourg yesterday and I'll try to write my review today. But here are some initial impressions

I'm still on a little cloud it was that good! It was a bit sad that the Zénith in Strasbourg sold very few tickets, but the crowd that was there was very enthusiastic. In the end the venue was "reduced" with curtains and people who had bought gallery tickets were allowed to come down and choose any seats! Which meant that the friends I was with and who had far away gallery seats could come down and sit in the first row with me. And all of my other friends were right behind us. How cool!

The first part people were a bit quiet, not daring to get up until Joe Lynn Turner asked us to. Then everyone sat back down. But thankfully no one meant to stay seated, in any case as soon as Mick Box and Bernie Shaw were on stage I just jumped up and I think everyone felt the same.
Like Anja said both of them look so happy to be there, and they interact a lot with the crowd. At the end of the show Mick Box even came and shook my hand, it was good fun!

Alice's set is really short but sweet, by then we were all glued to the stage. I think security decided it was to dangerous to try and keep people back (there were pyrotechnics there and it was really hairy) so they left the fire out after "House on Fire" and let us get close. And though Alice always gives 100% it's a different thing when the audience can be close as he interacts a lot more :clap:
It was great to see Sheryl again, I love to watch her dance. And I really loved her vampire routine at the end :alice:

In Zurich I spotted Kyler almost next to me but by the time the show was over he had scooted off already the busy man, so I couldn't say hi. Ah well, maybe next time.

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:07 pm

I think the tour is pretty cool so far!
"I'm just another case…”

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:31 pm

Here you are a small review of a very inspiring show. I am hyper boosted now!
http://musicaldragonlady.blogspot.ch/20 ... urich.html

frontrowjunkie
Killer
Killer

Post by frontrowjunkie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Inmate wrote:I think the tour is pretty cool so far!
Yes it is. I saw the show for the fifth time last night in Innsbruck and it was a blast. Looks like the show is getting better every night. They keep changing littel details. Wish I had gotten more than the 7 tickets I have when it went on sale...

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:53 pm

Sounds amazing, I wish I coulda made it :(

Still, I will see you guys at Mainz :clap:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:07 am

frontrowjunkie wrote:I know all that. You might be surprised but this wasn't the first time I've seen them. As I said before, I can see your point. But having seen the show a few times by now with different audiences, I can see why they picked these exact songs as they work great with both the audience and the orchestra. Night after night. I also think that since they do a lot of shows in Germany, they probably have an understanding for which songs work best here...
so you've seen the TV Ad for Return To Fantasy then?

I wouldn't have thought you were even born in 1975