Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tim10cc
Killer
Killer

Mixed reactions

Post by tim10cc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Alice Cooper on tour this summer 2014!!

The Greatest SHOWMAN in Rock N Roll!! The Master of shock rock opening up for the Crue.

Some are happy he is simply touring.

Am I the only Cooper fan with mixed reactions.

Alice still is the showman he was 30 years ago. He can still keep us on his feet.

The only guess I have here is perhaps since Alice isn't getting any younger, he desires less stage time.

I would of rather seen an opener for Alice. Joan Jett released new material in 2013. A Joan Jett/Alice Cooper summer tour would be more satisfying for me.

But anyways, I will not dream the perfect setlist for Alice but do hope for some changes from the prior tour.

I just hope for one thing...When Alice decides to hang up his hat lets hope its not on one of these tours where he is the opening ACT.

Lots of tour dates and I hope everyone gets a chance to see the Master soon!!!
The road to hell is littered with nice guys with good intentions.

tim10cc
Killer
Killer

Re: Mixed reactions

Post by tim10cc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:41 pm

Keep us on our feet...Not his...well maybe he could if he were in a circus.
The road to hell is littered with nice guys with good intentions.

larryelbows
Trash
Trash

Post by larryelbows » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:17 am

I agree. Alice Cooper is amazing. Motley Crew is a shit 80s band.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:16 am

As an old Alice fan, I am sad that things have come to this - Alice opening for a 4th rate hair metal band who's 20 years past their expirary date. I can see what's in it for him - gets to play to a few thousand more people each night and perhaps that will move the needle a bit on sales of Alice music and merch - but strictly speaking as a fan, I'm bummed.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:24 am

Toronto Bob wrote:As an old Alice fan, I am sad that things have come to this - Alice opening for a 4th rate hair metal band who's 20 years past their expirary date. I can see what's in it for him - gets to play to a few thousand more people each night and perhaps that will move the needle a bit on sales of Alice music and merch - but strictly speaking as a fan, I'm bummed.
I agree with you Toronto Bob and I'm glad this tour isn't coming over to Europe as I wouldn't buy a ticket for such a show.

Let Alice tour for himself or the real BIG groups like the Rolling Stones.If he comes over with a new show I certainly will be there.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:42 am

Motley Crues hair metal was better than Alice's when he jumped on that scene. Not sure why people are complaining as they can leave after Alice plays.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:01 am

pitkin88 wrote:Not sure why people are complaining as they can leave after Alice plays.
I can think of some reasons. For one, Alice will be playing, at most, an hour or so set. Secondly, ticket prices for good seats range from a lot more expensive to ridiculously more expensive when compared to Alice's own tours.

Other than that, it's fantastic. :rolls eyes:
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:27 am

As a fan I don't think Alice should EVER open for another act, with the possible exception of something HUGE like the Stones.
By doing so the public perception of Alice can be that he is a fading star and no longer capable of headlining in his own right.
While he certainly headlines smaller venues (especially in the US) then in the past this isn't entirely correct, but that is what is perceived.

However in reality I can see why he does these tours.
1. He can reach people he may never get to play in front of otherwise, and as we know he and the band will nail it every night this can only be a good thing.
2. Without the overheads of organizing his own tour he will likely make more, or at least the same, money as headlining his own tour in smaller venues without the risk. No venue fees, no PA fees. Possibly no lighting fees. Possibly no catering costs. All the things they don`t have to pay out for (because it's Crue's tour) equal things out.
3. Things should be nicely set up for next year when Alice DOES go out on a headlining tour and will hopefully pull in some of the new fans who see him on this tour and want more.

From AC and co's point of view this is probably a good deal, whether WE like it or not.
What I worry about a little is the public perception. Alice has so far managed to avoid the 'heritage' tag but continuing to tour and release new material every few years (as is normal nowadays).
However things like this and the cruise ship thing start getting him dangerously close to it. And once you are under that category I can`t see any way out of it again.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:06 pm

For those that remember The Zombies ('She's Not There' etc.), I saw them a few years back at Honiton Motel no less (in Devon, for those wondering).

They played in front of about 250 people and the encore literally involved them stepping outside the fire exit for 5 seconds. Colin Blunstone then quickly returned to say "It's F'ing Freezing Out There").

Whilst it's great that they (The Zombies) are still touring I wouldn't want this fate to become Alice and am happy to see him still delivering his show to thousands of people each year.

I'm not thrilled about the next album nor the fact that UK dates have been thin on the ground but the glass is certainly half full as far as I'm concerned.

I wish he'd go all care free by re-recording some of his albums, doing more new material and going on a tour full of obsure material. However, he'd probably end up at the Honiton Motel.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:14 pm

>I wish he'd go all care free by re-recording some of his albums,

He has threatened to do that. I don't think that's a good idea.

>and going on a tour full of obsure material. However, he'd probably end up at the Honiton Motel.

Exactly.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:24 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I wish he'd go all care free by re-recording some of his albums,

He has threatened to do that. I don't think that's a good idea.
I think it would be good for his legacy to straighten up some of his work (Constrictor would be a good start).

I liked 'Alice Does Alice', I know some people thought it was pointless but the straight-to-MP3 approach was spot on in my opinion (low production costs with maximum financial reward).

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:33 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
I wish he'd go all care free by re-recording some of his albums.
that would be the worst thing he could do would be like remaking The Exorcist, don't bother you won't touch the original.

It's one thing playing the songs live in a different way, but when you try and remake classics like he did with Alice does Alice it will always sound second best. Those songs were of a certain vintage and shouldn't be touched.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:42 pm

no offense intended but i don't think his voice quality these days would improve on past recordings. i guess a legit claim could be made for some of this by going back to the albums he "didn't recall doing" and tweaking them to be the way he would want, but i'm not in favour of artists altering something. i see graphic artists doing that, eg Sorayama - generally i find the addition detracts from the original or naffs it up totally by over-egging the pudding.

as for the tour, i'd go to see a Coop/Crue double bill in a heartbeat. crue have done a LOT of excellent stuff they don't get credit for, and the last live show, Carnival of Sins, blew most live shows out the water.

as for Coop being seen as over the hill etc, i think we went over all this ground when he supported Maiden. can't say as i've see that having affected him. i reiterate what i said back then - if they think enough of him to want him, and he thinks enough of it to accept, our opinion is moot.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:42 pm

Very emotive subject Steven ;)

My personal opinion is that there's some stuff that shouldn't be touched. However, there's also a few albums that might benefit from another attempt.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:47 pm

At this point I'm not sure even a 4/5ths reunion of the old band would be able to do a full arena tour but perhaps a theatre seating 3-5k would be possible. That's the only thing I can see saving AC from these opening slot tours.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:01 pm

>I think it would be good for his legacy to straighten up some of his work (Constrictor would be a good start).

That isn't one of the albums he was referring to.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:01 pm

>but when you try and remake classics like he did with Alice does Alice it will always sound second best.

Those aren't the songs he was referring to.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:05 pm

>no offense intended but i don't think his voice quality these days would improve on past recordings.

That isn't what he was concerned about.

> i guess a legit claim could be made for some of this by going back to the albums he "didn't recall doing"

That is exactly what he was referring to.

> but i'm not in favour of artists altering something.

I agree, although The Cure and David Bowie have done it. It isn't as if the original albums are going to be deleted.

>as for Coop being seen as over the hill etc, i think we went over all this ground when he supported Maiden.

Never mind that - people were saying this in 1980 as well!

> and he thinks enough of it to accept, our opinion is moot.

Exactly. No - one is being forced to attend.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:06 pm

>That's the only thing I can see saving AC from these opening slot tours.

Really? He already pretty much plays those kind of venues on his own anyway.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:45 pm

However things like this and the cruise ship thing start getting him dangerously close to it. And once you are under that category I can`t see any way out of it again.[/quote]
-----------
I agree with Si on the cruise ship thing , but "opening" for someone, it's not like Alice is some kind of beginning band that has the honour to play before the headliner does, is it ? I mean, I saw Alice "opening" for Maiden and "opening" for Deep Purple last year and I had the impression that Alice had his own public,not just people waiting for the headliner.
the main difference as I see it is that you get a shorter set..
you really wouldn't understand..